ADVERTISEMENT

Carlos Johnson to Findlay Prep

EC will be good. Coach Booker gets his kids to play SUPER hard. I worry about their guards though. They're a PG away from being excellent even without Johnson. I too wish him well.

I'm confused what is the reason for going to Findlay? No offers from any big name schools? This really sucks for EC because they went through the paperwork to get this kid eligible and he leave them hanging.

Sucks for EC??? WHY? They filled out that "not for basketball reasons" paperwork to get him in and gets burned "for basketball reasons". A town of 28,000 having more 3 star athletes in all sports than Oakland, Berkeley, and Richmond combined sucks. It sucks for for the honest student athletes that stay at their local schools, only to be overlooked by hyped up allstar teams. CJ only played 20+ games as a basketball rental in norcal. It did not suck that he garnered state, norcal, east recognition for EC. The large paying crowds did not suck. League championship, north coast champs, and open division did not suck. If EC situation sucks then the rest of norcal doesn't exist.

I totally agree with your opinion. .why does a over hyped player get so much attention? I personally think that he's over rated!! As far as El Cerrito they got burned.

He's a freak athlete with the build of a grown man. Problem is he's a tweener. I would say he's closer to 6"3 than 6"5 and he's not a guard. Still he's too good not to get looks. So does findlay just bank roll these kids?

Sucks for EC??? WHY? They filled out that "not for basketball reasons" paperwork to get him in and gets burned "for basketball reasons". A town of 28,000 having more 3 star athletes in all sports than Oakland, Berkeley, and Richmond combined sucks. It sucks for for the honest student athletes that stay at their local schools, only to be overlooked by hyped up allstar teams. CJ only played 20+ games as a basketball rental in norcal. It did not suck that he garnered state, norcal, east recognition for EC. The large paying crowds did not suck. League championship, north coast champs, and open division did not suck. If EC situation sucks then the rest of norcal doesn't exist.
Bang...bang... Lol

kid is a top 100 player who just lacks a consistent jumper. Im sure he will work on that at Findlay this season. Physically there arent too many at his position better than him. He will excel and be a mid/high major prospect barring any serious injury. 3 high schools in 4 years is a red flag........not EVERY time, but most of the time.

I'm not sold on his basketball acumen either. Remember Jameel Pugh from Grant? I would take him over Johnson and he ended up at Sac state. He's a poor man's Wendel Mckinees but doesn't possess his size or motor. He has JUCO written all over him and then I could see a Long Beach State/Fullerton State type school. Nothing wrong with that but lets not put him in a category he's not in. Add the 3 HS in 4 years and you really start to wonder.

If he has multiple D1 offers (not high-major, but still D1 nonetheless), how does he have juco written all over him??? LOL

Good for him. I'd say if you have the chance to play at Findlay and actually play and not just be on the team, go for it! He will be playing on espnU the week before the final 4. Hard to top that. As for the 3 schools in 4 years, it's not really a big deal when u consider he moved states last year and is now trying to take on better competition at Findlay. Hell Jabari brown went to 5 schools in 7 yrs but it worked out for him! My question is what does that do to norcal and Bay Area hoops. EC was an open favorite with him. There are only a handful of teams that will have a legit chance to win. Sac high, Folsom, MC, Sheldon , and Mitty being the cream of the crop. EC was right there but I'm not sure now. I feel like losing him puts Salesian right back in the TCAL drivers seat. I hear they are going to be REALLY good. But all in all congrats to Carlos!!

Pridget stock will continue to rise especially with him being asked to do more. I still see EC as having a very nice team but not an open contender. I like DLS and Mitty right now. If Asiasi plays hoops I like DLS a lot. Anybody know? Folsom has no size but great guards. How far does that take you? Sheldon and Sac high should be the cream out of SJS.

Verbal offers don't mean much. Certainly aren't binding and kids still end up going JUCO for a variety of reasons

Incredible opp for Carlos Johnson. He will do well there. If any of you don't think he is a Division 1
basketball player, your wrong.

Oooooohhhh yes totally forgot about Moreau.... If they had a legit big man to deal with the like of a Kone, young from sac , or the big guy from Modesto I'd throw them in that battle but I think they are a big man away!! Extremely talented though!!!!!

Moreau will be outcoached down the wire. You heard it from me.
Talented yes but that doesn't equate to winning a champ.

Wasn't me about ODOWD. I said they would win all year and did. Wasn't even close actually. Can't compare these 2 programs. Not impressed at all with Moreau and there approach. My opinion lets see if I'm wrong.

Haven't replied here in quite some time, but, Johnson's situation aside, from my own experience growing up in Richmond and attending ECHS, I can tell you that the "town of 28,000 having more 3 star athletes in all sports than Oakland, Berkeley, and Richmond combined sucks" should be irrelevant because if these guys are staying in school and not falling for the wrongs of the streets, there is more than enough talent to offset this loss.

The reason is that the boundaries in Richmond dictate that some kids there (quite a few in actuality) are supposed to attend EC anyway so that small city will have a wealth of talent since it's pool is more than just the city of EC. Yeah, I know kids go all over, but just speaking on boundaries. Plenty of talent gets to that school, and yes, I know many do bounce to the parochial schools as well.

If one was a Richmond Southside kid as I was, then you attended either JFK or EC because you generally came from the two middle schools (junior highs back then), Adams or Portola. Yes, that was 35-40 years ago, but EC and Kennedy kids were staying in their schools and if any kids in Booker's program live on the Southside then they are attending their rightful school as well.

Last edited:
Your story was the reason I responded to the notion that CJ to Findlay sucked for EC. The truth is most students from EC and south side Richmond, whom wish to play varsity basketball, cannot at EC. I live in the area and enjoy attending EC games against some of the best of norcal. Johnson, Banks, Pridgett, Alcorn, Gray...etc....none from EC or Southside Richmond. League realignments have separated EC from JFK, so families have to make tough decisions...send students to EC for higher quality experience academically without the possibility of playing hoop or JFK academics down but opportunity to play against subpar competition. EC is a public school with a private school admissions process. Ballers at EC know nothing about EC or Rich except the location of the EC plaza bart

Its does suck for EC to lose CJ but EC will still be good but not elite and not a open team. CJ will benefit from playing stiffer competition which will prepare him for the next level....My question is , Is this the future of the high school game? Will prep schools raid the top talent of high school teams? Will the stars of high school teams not really be stars but be the leftovers cause the real stars have left for prep schools? Ashley from Odowd a few years ago, Oreilly from Campo last year, Jabar Brown few years ago ,Dominic Artis and many others....

DJ- Good ? .. Wonder why CJ didn't go to Prolific Prep? Closer proximity and wouldn't have to uproot. Anyway I have a feeling for the super elite you will see this trend similar to how soccer is in Europe. I mean you could make a claim on a team like ODOWD and Mater Dei last year why go to a prep.

A prep school has to be $25-30k a year right? Tuition, Books, Room and Board, etc. Who pays that bill for a kid like CJ? Just curious. Travel must get picked up by Nike or Adidas right? Somebody explain the $ to me. Its the dirty little secret nobody talks about.

I think LL is right about the soccer comparison. Very few of the elite soccer in europe do anything but go to a pro club, (I think Messi went to europe when he was 13) where they basically apprentice until they make the big time (or wash out). Basketball here is a bit different, but the guys who really might have a future are looking to put themselves in the best position they can, whatever that looks like. I keep hoping to see a program where the kids bond with a coach, and the coach has the knowledge and savvy to help the kid be the best he can be while still being a kid, and a student. Since almost all kids are not Lebron, that fit is the best for them at the end of the day. I can dream.

The one thing that's missing from this is Carlos Johnson is not that guy that strikes me as elite. Super athletic, can't defend, undersized,does not have a consistent jumper, and he's older.

This could end up being ok for El Cerrito. Not a Open Division team now and could have an easier road to state. These are the scenarios you have to play with the Open Division format.

Streak- I agree. Last year to me they were a D2 or D3 state champ type school. I forget what they end up playing but they got put in the Open. They are still going to be very good.

I hate to say it but I agree with lovin basketball.I think CJ is stud high school player he is a man amongst boys but I don't see him as an elite player in college or nba player( hope I'm wrong) not a great shooter ,defender,ok ball handler but is a good rebounder and shonuff can throw it down.Not sure how he does against guys who are stronger,faster and just as athletic as he is.Prep school will better prepare him for the next level and expose him to better competition day in day out......As far as Ec team now I think they will be good ,not "very" good ,not elite but just good because they will be in D2/D3 they will have a chance....Pridgett is a stud but rest of team is young .

Thanks djgaucho for making a point to emphasize the many holes in Carlos Johnsons game. He's a tremendous dunker!! Elite basketball player he's not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT