ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Taylor headed to Oak Ridge

Big time pickup. I’m wondering if he brings anybody with him? (Players i mean)
Great news for Trojans

Big time pickup. I’m wondering if he brings anybody with him? (Players i mean)
Great news for Trojans
Is that allowed? Wouldn't that be recruiting? ;)

This is a good hire for OR, though this will be his 4th program in about 5 or so years. Going back home can be a duel-edged sword but he's, obviously, an excellent coach in a league that is being re-tooled at HC with new HC"s at OR, Rocklin, and GB and only a partial season under the belt of the new HC at DO,

Reactions: Kickingtee18
This is a good hire for OR, though this will be his 4th program in about 5 or so years.

Bit of a misleading statement here, don't ya think?

You make it sound like he’s unsettled or constantly jumping ship.

He was at DO for 15 seasons. He'd likely still be at Capital if the pandemic didn't push them to void his 10-yr contract.

And leaving Indy after 1 season for what I assume has always been among his dream gigs is completely understandable.

Nobody knows the future, but I'd bet heavily on him being at OR for as long as he was at DO. Or longer.

Main point being that Coach Taylor isn't some vagabond. He's only chosen to leave 2 programs (as head coach) thus far. Both for reasons anyone should easily understand.

Bit of a misleading statement here, don't ya think?
How's that? It is true. I didn't characterize why...I just stated that it happened and after a long run, he has moved around a lot. Doesn't make him a bad guy, bad hire, or bad coach, just that even a very successful football coach has not had much stability lately and in the context of all the turnover this past season, it is a sign of the times.

My guess is that turnover will be an even bigger issue as coaches move to other states or get tired of the environment they currently work in, especially after what happened at the capital yesterday.

How's that? It is true. I didn't characterize why...I just stated that it happened and after a long run, he has moved around a lot. Doesn't make him a bad guy, bad hire, or bad coach, just that even a very successful football coach has not had much stability lately and in the context of all the turnover this past season, it is a sign of the times.

My guess is that turnover will be an even bigger issue as coaches move to other states or get tired of the environment they currently work in, especially after what happened at the capital yesterday.

Misleading from the standpoint that the way you positioned it made it sound like a negative or a concern.

“This is a good hire for OR, THOUGH ...”

Also, misleading from the standpoint that “4th program in about 5 or so years” makes it seem like he’s been jumping ship quickly or is somehow unsettled and a risky hire because of it.

I don’t see cause for concern. Or the “however”.

Indy is the only gig he voluntarily departed prematurely. And everyone should understand why.

Furthermore he was at DO for 15 seasons and was involuntarily released from his duties at Capital due to unforeseen and extenuating circumstances.

You may not have meant it the way I read it, but that‘s how it came across.

I just don’t see the need to even mention the previous departures — whatever reason(s) they occurred — unless you’re hinting at them as being some kind of problem or concern.

I’m not going to cite names, but there are several head coaches that have become known as vagabonds. Every few seasons they are moving on elsewhere. For various reasons. Casey Taylor doesn’t fit into that category.

Last edited:
I think Taylor is here to stay. I don’t see him as a guy moving around. The capital situation was literally an act of “chynah” from the pandemic otherwise I think he would still be there because they were highly successful. I know one thing. The community will support him immensely.

Misleading from the standpoint that the way you positioned it made it sound like a negative or a concern.
You did that in your head. Facts are facts. He has moved around, which means is very capable of saying goodbye. You can hide your head in the sand and act as if it didn't happen, or isn't relative.....but it is. He didn't get what he left DO for at CC, so.....that dream is still unrealized and it won't happen at OR unless his dream has changed. The best thing about OR is they have a larger student base, an excellent tradition, excellent competition, good facilities, rabid fans, and it's a desirable place to live for kids choosing where they want to play high school football. He will be very successful while he is there, which for the OR folks, I hope is a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kickingtee18
I’m just hoping Taylor can get that awful PA announcer replaced at Oak Ridge.

You did that in your head. Facts are facts. He has moved around, which means is very capable of saying goodbye. You can hide your head in the sand and act as if it didn't happen, or isn't relative.....but it is. He didn't get what he left DO for at CC, so.....that dream is still unrealized and it won't happen at OR unless his dream has changed. The best thing about OR is they have a larger student base, an excellent tradition, excellent competition, good facilities, rabid fans, and it's a desirable place to live for kids choosing where they want to play high school football. He will be very successful while he is there, which for the OR folks, I hope is a long time.

Ok, I was correct the first time and read it the right way. I could sense the negative undertone. Thanks for making that clear as day now.

IDK what else to tell you other than you are way out in left field with what you regard as “facts”. Furthermore you’re making up your own truth with regard to Capital.

Hyperbole and confirmation bias at its finest.

I’ll move along so you can have the last word and carry on with whatever agenda this is.

As you were my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
So please enlighten all of us on what his dream is?
I agree with TR and the undertone of your statement.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Just out of curiosity, what is "awful" about the announcer?

And in a related question, what makes an announcer good?
He is loud and obnoxious and the shtick he has been using for years is annoying & worn out. Even every OR fan I know can’t stand the guy. Here’s an example that I’m sure isn’t verbatim but it goes something like this, in a very loud voice: (after OR scores a TD). “Hello, can I get a reservation for 6? Yes Mr. (insert last name of player who scored), when would you like it? Right now, baby! right now!” 🤢

As far as what makes a good announcer? IMO, I don’t want a radio play-by-play guy. I don’t want to hear the announcer question or disagree with a call made by the officials. And when the officials make a call, he needs to know enough to tell the fans what the penalty was. How many times do we hear the announcer say the penalty was for X when it was actually for Y? Know the rules! He shouldn’t be a cheerleader, we already have those. I want someone who will tell me who made the run, pass, catch, tackle, interception etc, after the play is over. Someone who will recognize a player who makes a great play, regardless of which team he plays for. Someone who can inform the casual fan. But maybe that’s just me.

Nobody listens to the guy at the game. If he bothers you then you aren’t paying that close of attention to the action on the field. Been going to OR games for 20+ years and that’s the last thing that I can think of. In fact I’ve never once heard anybody bring it up ever. The line at the snack bar is more irritating.

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
Big name hire for Monte Vista. I thought Russi would last longer there.

Now we have two former Cal RBs as HS coaches with Jahvid Best at St. Mary's-Berkeley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT