ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes - 2018

NCS- Kennedy-Richmond
Irvington
Encinal
Swett
Freedom
Skyline

Word is Logan coach is the favorite for the Freedom job, so that could be another huge opening. That job would probably be the most intriguing with the amount of talent and enrollment size. They are back in the MVAL also which they will dominate like years past.

1. Manteca looking for new head coach like you stated
2. Freedom I believe is looking for a new head coach
3. Cordova is looking for a new HC
4. Whitney after the doherty debacle is looking for a new HC

I am sure there is a few more just slipped my mind.

I believe the logan coach is the favorite for the freedom job. he is a DLS guy and from around that area. Could be an interesting hire

@ MaoliFighter,

I had those same questions. I'm assuming the De La factor carries a lot of weight in those interviews. Program has not been the same since Zuber stepped down. Basketball program has really taken off, so you kno athletes are on campus. Running the veer with the skill players that Logan has probably didnt help...

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I have heard of seven coaching changes in the CCS - (sure there are probably more) - with one being filled already

Mitty (filled)
Menlo School
Monta Vista Christian
Monterey
Alvarez
North Salinas
Greenfield

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/12/18/freedom-high-football-coach-kevin-hartwig-resigns/

East Bay times writer thinks Encinal coach, and Moreau Catholic coach could be players in the Freedom job also. Curious to see how this shakes out. All three candidates seem to bring something different. The BVAL has passed the EBAL up as far league strength IMO. Whoever gets it better be ready to compete with Pitt and Liberty, as both return a ton.

I have heard of seven coaching changes in the CCS - (sure there are probably more) - with one being filled already

Mitty (filled)
Menlo School
Monta Vista Christian
Monterey
Alvarez
North Salinas
Greenfield

Monterey is filled as well.

Retiring for good, or just done at Manteca?

Whom might that be? I can't imagine Ernie Cooper or Dave Humphers to be that big name coach.
Hey Thunder isn't Humphers an assistant at River Valley?I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere,or read it.

He hasn't done too well at Logan. Curious why he is the favorite? Biggest High School in Northern California and proven NCS power now can't win a game.
Maoli.....Logan has the biggest mix of population which most cater to soccer, badminton and low key sports plus the majority of these kids earn scolarships and don't need to be given to them.. The coach has a very tough job hoping that a turnout will produce some skill players.

I would guess Reis is done for good with his son graduating this year, but that is just speculation.

Sounds like a lot of names involved with the Freedom opening

The ripple effect will no doubt be felt. Seems like a lot less openings at this stage than last season. Wonder who the SFL guy who’s getting the Whitney job is? I’d be surprised if they went the retread route. They are in for a different animal in that league now. Especially with Grant added to the league.

Hey Thunder isn't Humphers an assistant at River Valley?I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere,or read it.

Yes, he is. And Ernie Cooper is running the weight program at GB, along with the frosh team.

Those two are obvious big names from SFL programs, but I'm skeptical that they'd want to return to the full grind. Seems like they are happy in the roles they have. But they are the 1st two names that popped into my head that are still involved coaching HS football in some capacity.

Reactions: championcif75
Yes, he is. And Ernie Cooper is running the weight program at GB, along with the frosh team.

Those two are obvious big names from SFL programs, but I'm skeptical that they'd want to return to the full grind. Seems like they are happy in the roles they have. But they are the 1st two names that popped into my head that are still involved coaching HS football in some capacity.

I've heard they are looking at a coordinator from one of the Sacramento programs and another one from a Bay Area program with ties to DLS. Nobody from the SFL was mentioned.

Cooper would not leave GB.

We are so lucky to have such great coaches in the SFL.

I agree that Cooper wouldn't leave GB. He's got a good thing going.

He hasn't done too well at Logan. Curious why he is the favorite? Biggest High School in Northern California and proven NCS power now can't win a game.

Have you seen that area of the Bay Area lately? Logan is not the Logan of the 90's and early 2000's. That is not an attractive job for ANYONE anymore. I am sure the Logan coach who has a DLS pedigree can do some good things with some talent especially at Freedom. Fremont schools have been cutting football and the demographics in that area are just not favorable to football, which is probably why he is looking to coach at Freedom. I do not blame him.

I agree kingera. I feel like you have a few pockets with good football and that is about it. You have the East Bay ( Pleasanton - Oakley & orinda walnut creek area ); and the WCAL and that is it. The whole 880 corridor and San jose (minus the private schools). Is just not the same as it used to be 15-20 years ago

I agree kingera. I feel like you have a few pockets with good football and that is about it. You have the East Bay ( Pleasanton - Oakley & orinda walnut creek area ); and the WCAL and that is it. The whole 880 corridor and San jose (minus the private schools). Is just not the same as it used to be 15-20 years ago
I agree.

Logan - Here is a video of them from this season beating the bejeebers out of Washington. Check the sidelines for the apparent number of players. The angle is not that good but you can get an idea of their roster size.

There are 54 listed on the varsity roster, 27 or so seem to have jersey numbers and ht/wt/yr data entered. No rosters for JV or frosh.

I think its a good hire! He knows what a winning program looks like and what it takes to get there. I wonder if he knows any coaches in the area or if he is bringing people from Logan if it is him.

What’s the latest in the coaching change world?? I saw these openings recently...

Menlo
Mt. Diablo
Manteca

At winter showcase, word is Whitney set to hire McNally from Logan. Can anyone confirm?
I also heard McNally is going to Whitney. Word is Rodriguez from Encinal is the front runner for the Freedom job.

1. Manteca looking for new head coach like you stated
2. Freedom I believe is looking for a new head coach
3. Cordova is looking for a new HC
4. Whitney after the doherty debacle is looking for a new HC

I am sure there is a few more just slipped my mind.
Leopold10, I am surprised at the Cordova Job is open? I thought they made the playoffs this year and were up & coming...any news on why the Cordova job is open?

Add Palo Alto to the list of openings. Anyone got any insite on the Logan job. Them being back in the MVAL next season could add some intrigue. Won’t have to go through a brutal Indy schedule first year. Wonder if Zuber would come back. I know he’s still a History teacher on campus.

What’s the latest in the coaching change world?? I saw these openings recently...

Menlo
Mt. Diablo
Manteca
Finding a new coach for Mt.diablo has got to be one of the toughest assignments to come up....the coming coach has a batch of kids that show up when they want to, the school has turned into mostly getto and its a case of complete lack of interest in football...The sad thing is, Mt. diablo has a large group of kids that can produce, but there again,
they don't always show up for practice, can't make the grades...any excuse you could come up with would fit right in.
Mt. diablo was once a power house, today its just a case of struggling to survive.

That’s a tough gig. Although DV’s enrollment is through the roof and they’re one of the largest schools in the NCS, football is not a priority for most of the parents, and they’re in the EBAL now. Tisa did a good job considering what he had to work with. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Dougherty Valley is in a tough situation. Caught in between the Danville schools, and Cal High. Demographics are similar to Fremont schools as well. Doesn't seem like kids or parents have a real investment in building a football culture at that school. Sad, as facilities are amazing last time I was there.

Still haven't seen any confirmation whether or not Mcnally is leaving Logan, and if Freedom named a replacement to Hartwig yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT