ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes - 2018

Ya i just found out from a kid my son plays flag football with that Whitney did hire McNally from James Logan.

Nice of coach Lad to put in a few comments at the end of that article. Sweeney was a legend at Foothill and the football field is even named after him. He will be difficult to replace. First Lad, then Bergman and now Sweeney. Does that make Billeci the longest tenured coach in the EBAL at 9 years? Who is even 2nd? A lot of turnover in the last few years.

Freedom
Logan
Foothill
DV
JFK-Richmond
Encinal

Lots of new coaches on the sidelines in the Bay Area next season. Why so much turnover? Is Haubner a shoe in for the Foothill job. Has to be tough following a legend like Sweeney. I can remember those late 90's early 2000 teams in Ptown. Nobody got more out of less than Sweeney. Glad to hear he is feeling better health wise as well.

He stayed loyal to FH and his love of coaching HS Football. Felt he could make lasting impacts on young men at the HS level. History major who was a great motivator and disciplinarian. Early in his career he had opportunities to move on.

Had an opportunity w/ the SF 49ers when Mariucci was the Head Coach. A 49er assistant coach son played for Sweeney and told Sweeney he needed to be coaching at a higher level. Sweeney went and met w/ Bill Walsh and interviewed for a position as the Defensive Quality Control Coach w/ Steve M and Jim Mora who was the D coordinator at the time. They offered Sweeney the position. Would of been his entry into the Professional ranks. He knew that College and Pro coaches have to move around to further their careers.

He stayed true to his love of HS Football and being a history teacher.

Won a lot of games that F.H. had no business winning. Never ran up a score. I think he only had 1 or 2 games in his whole career where his team scored 50 plus points in games decided by half time.

His teams were fierce competitors who played w/ great sportsmanship and were 100 percent unselfish - in a world of selfishness -

The Foothill Fighting Falcons were Throwbacks to how Team Sports are supposed to be coached and played.

"Battle on 3" "Whoop Ass" for every win !!!

Reactions: Streak One
Some really good coaches stepping down in the Bay Area. Could signal a further shift to Sacramento being the top area for HS football.

Sweeney's impact at Foothill is pretty incredible.

Speed-Who is the new Monterey coach?

Don’t think I was supposed to say earlier lol, but it’s Henry Lusk. He’s a Monterey alumni and played a few years in the NFL. People in the Sac area might remember him as he coached at Kennedy high and had to resign amid a weird controversy.

I know what he did, I was questioning controversy.
I guess he has been cleared so good for him I guess.

I know what he did, I was questioning controversy.
I guess he has been cleared so good for him I guess.

Well it was controversial when it happened, hence the resignation. At the end of the day though he didn’t really do anything wrong, it was just a bad look (literally and figuratively) for the school.

Anyways I think it’s a good hire for Monterey, He is going to put together a very strong coaching staff.

I live in Pleasanton and watched many of Foothills games and got to say Sweeney had a great offense mind and seemed to have great plays and calling. He often only had one or two really good but not great players and thin on players (many played both ways) and was always competitive (with exception of a couple years) in what has been the strongest league in the NCS (I think BVAL has replaced it the last couple, but that goes in cycles). One of my favorite teams was the team Brandon Crawford was QB after converting from a very good WR the year before.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
Well it was controversial when it happened, hence the resignation. At the end of the day though he didn’t really do anything wrong, it was just a bad look (literally and figuratively) for the school.

Anyways I think it’s a good hire for Monterey, He is going to put together a very strong coaching staff.

It looks like someone had something in for him and released a private photo that in today's time would be embarrassing but considered not a big deal even on TV. He seemed to have been a coach that expected discipline of his teams and held players accountable. The Dors are in need of some continuity in the coaching staff. That school has a rich history of football.

It looks like someone had something in for him and released a private photo that in today's time would be embarrassing but considered not a big deal even on TV. He seemed to have been a coach that expected discipline of his teams and held players accountable. The Dors are in need of some continuity in the coaching staff. That school has a rich history of football.

Just saw that the Monterey job was re-posted? Was the hiring official?

Also see that James Logan is now posted as well.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Archbisop Riordan (San Francisco, CA): ARHS is looking to fill several vacancies throughout the program. We are looking for several coaches at the Varsity level including a Linebackers coach, Defensive Backs coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator, and a Running Backs coach. We compete in the West Catholic League. All interested coaches should contact Jay’Sen Morris at jmorris@riordanhs.org.

From footballscoop.com today.

Just saw that the Monterey job was re-posted? Was the hiring official?

Also see that James Logan is now posted as well.
I confirmed the hiring with John Devine Monterey Herald a few days ago (and he announced on his blog after). He had to have confirmed with the school, but that was a few days ago. Not sure if anything happened or not since the confirmation.

Keith Minor former St Mary's-Berkeley HC seems to have accepted the job at Encinal. Great hire for the Jets. 20 wins in the last two seasons. Minor should be able to build off that. I believe he did win a section title a few years back beating Justin Siena in a rainy sloppy affair.

Reactions: hunted1
I thought Keith Minor did a good job at SMB. Went south quickly but that 2-3 year run was good.

Reactions: hunted1
I would like to know when they are going to make a coaching change at Alhambra. What a joke that place is. Has to be one of the top three worst coach teams in the Bay Area. I was told the coaches son is the qb. What a shit show that is.

Is the piedmont job open? I see it posted on edjoin. And if so, what happened to coach?

According to an article by Nate Smith, Holan is off to a D2 College as an OC. Disturbing trend with coaches west of 680. Shows the direction that East Bay particularly Alameda County Football is headed. Lots of the good young coaches opting for greener pastures. Could cost of living be the reason? McNally, Rodriguez, Holan all leaving programs that seemed to be on the uptick or at a level where they are consistently competing. Sad state of affairs. On a positive note seems like football is thriving in Contra Costa County. Particularly East Contra Costa County where the BVAL has seemed to take the reigns as top league in NCS. Speaking of any info on the Freedom job? Seems like for a high profile job, it’s taking quite a long time to get someone hired?

According to an article by Nate Smith, Holan is off to a D2 College as an OC. Disturbing trend with coaches west of 680. Shows the direction that East Bay particularly Alameda County Football is headed. Lots of the good young coaches opting for greener pastures. Could cost of living be the reason? McNally, Rodriguez, Holan all leaving programs that seemed to be on the uptick or at a level where they are consistently competing. Sad state of affairs. On a positive note seems like football is thriving in Contra Costa County. Particularly East Contra Costa County where the BVAL has seemed to take the reigns as top league in NCS. Speaking of any info on the Freedom job? Seems like for a high profile job, it’s taking quite a long time to get someone hired?

I have to believe that cost of living is a huge factor. I also wonder if coaches are struggling to get kids to play football. Many programs throughout California seem to have fewer kids showing up in the summer.

Holan going to Simon Fraser outside of Vancouver to coach OL and assist OC (HC).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT