ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Moves - 2017

Marcelo Bautista was let go at Montgomery (Santa Rosa) six games into the season. AD Dean Haskins who coached the team a few year ago in the absents of a permanent coach going 10-3, took over but finished the season with four straight losses.

Highly unlikely Haskins will remain the coach so someone new will need to be hired.

Not a NorCal job but a few NorCal coaches maybe applying for it.... Bellevue, WA is open.

By NATE SMITH
Prep2Prep.com

December 23, 2016

Dublin High is seeking a new head varsity football coach.

John Wade had been at the helm of the program since the 2011 season, when he took over for Casey Moreno. Wade compiled a 32-35 record during that time, with four playoff appearances. This past season, the Gaels began their tenure in the East Bay Athletic League.

Last edited:
Word in the North Bay is Montgomery (Santa Rosa, CA) has hired Tony Keefer has their head coach. Keefer spend two years at Tamalpais and brought their program back from the dead. Then he spent one year at Santa Rosa HS before resigning due to lack of a fulltime teaching position. After that he spent some time at Maria Carrillo as their quarterbacks coach, not sure for exactly how long.

Keefer replaces the Montgomery interim coach and Montgomery AD/Baseball coach Dean Haskins. Haskins took over mid-season after Marcello Bautista was fired for reasons unknown.

Coach Mikhail Ress-Nathans will not return as the HC at Las Lomas HS. He lasted one season and went 0-10. Not sure who would want the position given that the LL administration loathes the football program. Former coach Doug Longero is the logical choice but the current administration seems to lack any sort of common sense when it comes to supporting the football program.

Red Bluff (CA): The head coaching job is open, per sources.

De Anza (CA): Tyree Reed has been named head coach at De Anza HS.

Anybody hear anything about the jobs at American, Kennedy or Moreau? I saw on Twitter that "2 of the longest current tenured MVAL football coaches are no longer there." That would seem to indicate some combination of Bret Casey, Dave Damewood and/or Andrew Cotter.

According to @ysn365, Casa Grande has let go Head Football coach Trent Herzog and his staff @Prep2PrepSports @coachnatesmith @pdpreps

They've kinda underperformed the last few years. Outside of 13' with Lawson and Co. (who lost to Miramonte in NCS final) they've been a .500 3rd or 4th place NBL team who wins maybe one playoff game a year.

Ygnacio Valley (CA): Clyde Byrd has been hired as the program’s head coach.

Concord (CA): Paul Reynard has been to lead the program, per source.

Gridley (CA):
Matthew Kemmis will be the new head coach at Gridley HS, per source. He previously served a the offensive line / defensive line coach at Mt San Jacinto (Hemet, CA).

Reactions: mshNASTY
Clyde Byrd from Kennedy & Castlemont?

Paul Reynard sounds familiar. Where is he from?

Paul Reynaud - Offensive and Defensive Line
Coach_Reynaud_medium.jpg

Coach Reynaud enters his third season as a Varsity Defensive Line Coach at Cal High, joining the Grizzlies Coaching Staff after 10 seasons at Clayton Valley High School in Concord where he coached O-line, D-Line, Strength and Conditioning and serving as the assistant head coach two seasons. Coach Reynaud graduated from Clayton Valley as a 2 year Varsity Letterman and went on to play TE and DE at St. Mary's College from 1999-2003.

HUGE coup for Dublin. Young guy, has high trajectory and knowledge. Biggest asset is his Dad Bill, who is the all time wins leader in Cal High history (frosh/JV- baseball and football.) Welcome back to the EBAL Coaches Hoefs.

Great move for the Gaels and for the Hoefs. That program will be in good hands, and all the new housing in Dublin wont hurt.

Great move for the Gaels and for the Hoefs. That program will be in good hands, and all the new housing in Dublin wont hurt.

This is a pretty nice upgrade from Arroyo for Hoefs and he will be challenged by EBAL bigtime. Any word of his dad Bill coaching the Dublin JV team? With everyone's priorities being the varsity squad JV head coach is one of the toughest jobs in high school sports

Dad Hoefs accepted and embraced coaching the lower level teams for sure. The real challenge is at the frosh level where he was beloved by the kids. He expected a lot from the ones who played youth, since they arrived with basic skills. Yet, he knew the key to Varsity wins was taking the two-sporter studs who'd never played FB and turn them into playmakers. At banquets, just prior to V awards being handed out to the obvious, he always returned to the podium to recognize his previous frosh players, those who arrived with zero youth football history, "5th quarter" players, and became Varsity starters. To the assembled and particularly the frosh families he'd say, "Prior to the Varsity awards I'd like so and so to stand up. These are the ones you want to emulate. Find them on campus and ask them how they became Varsiy starters." Of course a little dab of psychology to get the more athletic kids to re-up for JV the next year.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Even though my son didn't play JV at Cal High it was easy to see all the boys that played for Bill Hoefs seemed to love him. Likewise, in his own gruff way Bill loves the boys. You need the talent some of those youth football kids bring but there's never enough of them to carry the entire load. The Hoefs have a way of attracting and keeping the athletes needed to win and move up as successful varsity players.

Taken a step further, they were decent parts of the puzzle to take unpedigreed kids, on a more typical trajectory, to breaking school records and equaling, and exceeding, FBS picks.

I am not hating on the move. The move is great and makes sense for everyone and for all the reasons above.

I do think this sort of sucks for Arroyo and Arroyo type schools. Here a school gives a young up and coming coach an opportunity to run his/her own program. Of course, every coach talks about being committed and helping lead a revival of a program only to have someone leave after one year. And it says something too about the school hiring a coach after he was there only one year.

again. not hating of Hoefts or even specifically the Arroyo situation, but it does kind of suck. and i am sure that there are plenty of other examples where schools haven't been loyal to the coaches they hire as well. it was just something i was thinking about.

I am not hating on the move. The move is great and makes sense for everyone and for all the reasons above.

I do think this sort of sucks for Arroyo and Arroyo type schools. Here a school gives a young up and coming coach an opportunity to run his/her own program. Of course, every coach talks about being committed and helping lead a revival of a program only to have someone leave after one year. And it says something too about the school hiring a coach after he was there only one year.

again. not hating of Hoefts or even specifically the Arroyo situation, but it does kind of suck. and i am sure that there are plenty of other examples where schools haven't been loyal to the coaches they hire as well. it was just something i was thinking about.

I agree that it sucks for Arroyo but that's coaching in today's world. Matt Hoefs has been on the coaching fast track the past several years and I'm sure the Dublin job is hard to turn down. Here's to hoping he stays a good while at Dublin and makes them competitive in EBAL before moving up to bigger and better things.

Myko's sentiments are understandable. Schools know during search vetting that a campus position must be bankable to applicants, up front or within a year. There is no way Wade would've left Orinda without it. Without knowing the specifics of how the moves went for Hoefs it's completely different from the son starting his career compared to his dad who wore the star and earned his pension. Young guys these days are eager to start their Calpers timeclock ticking as early as possible.

Paulo Sunia will be named HC @ Alameda high. Solid choice.
Alumni that also played @ Laney. Family ties to all Polynesians on that side of Alameda.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT