ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching openings

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Doug Vanderhorst has let people know he's not going back to Dougherty Valley ... so here's my list of East Bay openings. Please feel free to add any you know of ...

Amador Valley
Campolindo
Carondelet
Castro Valley
College Prep
Dougherty Valley
Las Lomas

Jim Croy is the new coach at Northgate; Jim Lemmon is the new coach at Monte Vista; Emma Leyden is the new coach at Head-Royce.

Doug Vanderhorst has let people know he's not going back to Dougherty Valley ... so here's my list of East Bay openings. Please feel free to add any you know of ...

Amador Valley
Campolindo
Carondelet
Castro Valley
College Prep
Dougherty Valley
Las Lomas

Jim Croy is the new coach at Northgate; Jim Lemmon is the new coach at Monte Vista; Emma Leyden is the new coach at Head-Royce.

Why do you keep saying C-Let is open when nothing has been posted nor nobody has confirmed this? Are you going on record as knowing for sure Elgin is out at C-Let? As of right now, its pure speculation...You're above that Clay...it's kinda of slanderous an rumor starting, if it's not true. Just sayin'

Moreau Catholic is also open (there's a shocker).
Encinal
Antioch

Any idea if Doug Vanderhorst is looking to stay in coaching at another school or getting out of the game. Thought it did a nice job at Dougherty Valley. Burned fast early, but has fallen off recently.

Why do you keep saying C-Let is open when nothing has been posted nor nobody has confirmed this? Are you going on record as knowing for sure Elgin is out at C-Let? As of right now, its pure speculation...You're above that Clay...it's kinda of slanderous an rumor starting, if it's not true. Just sayin'
I am sure he has heard from multiple sources. If I have heard from a pretty reliable source then I'm sure Clay has heard from many. As you said he's above that.. so why would you assume differently in this case? He doesn't and shouldn't have to reveal his sources to us. So unless you or someone else has some details from the other side to contradict what people have heard, then its not slanderous rumor starting.. just sayin'

My last info was that a) Elgin could re-apply, and b) that no hire would be made until an AD was hired, and that process has just begun.

I also got an email from Carondelet, not from Elgin, asking to confirm certain schedule items.

So the word is, the new coach -- Elgin is not the coach as we speak but could return -- will likely be chosen in mid-August.

Antioch has been filled by Daniel Guy, who's been at El Cerrito and Cheyenne (NV).

Doug indicated he might return at some point, but nothing definite ... he certainly has the experience (at Amador and Dublin) and resume to be one of the most attractive options right now, but he may want a year off.

Moreau could be a pretty good job if the administration decides they want the girls' basketball team to be successful.

IN my opinion this is too much moving around for high school basketball. I can understand a few of those schools with a few coaches stepping down. But some of those schools its really interesting.

Clay I just looked at you speaking of a new coach at Antioch high. What was the problem there? Didn't the coach just make NCS playoffs for Antioch in a very long time? I heard he is the coach that has the big lower level tournament during the xmas break?? I'm sure that raised a lot of money for the program...

Amdaor Valley? Coach was doing well too??
Moreau?? Why did that open??
Why did the coach leave Castro??

So it seems like its a epidemic when we heard of a few other coaches stepping down because of parents and the Administration may be supportive as they say

I could be wrong about any or all of this, but this is what I hear:

Amador Valley: Al Chavira got some serious heat from one set of parents, to the point of stupidity, and the administration "re-opened" the position. (I had heard that all the coaching positions at Amador had been "re-opened," but no confirmation.)

Moreau: Toni West hadn't done that well there, and maybe the nail in the coffin was playing a 2-3 zone and defending Haley Van Dyke with a player behind her only -- and not adjusting. Van Dyke then went for 60 in an NCS game that Moreau lost. The rest of the Campolindo players scored 13. But that's pure speculation.

Antioch: Don't know why Dorvez left. He seemed to be working hard.

Castro Valley: Jim Lemmon moved to Monte Vista, which is down now but has the potential to be a very strong program. Ron Hirschman had MV as a perennial power before leaving two years ago.

Last edited:
Campolindo JV Coach Matt Kirby has been promoted to Varsity Head Coach at Campolindo

Reactions: dbrown68
Good for Matt ... he's earned this chance. Unfortunately the program is not positioned to continue its recent success, as the numbers dropped to alarming levels for varsity and JV players, and Joaquin Moraga, the primary middle school feeder, didn't even have an eighth grade team.

One of the necessities of high school coaching is nurturing the talent pipeline at the junior varsity and middle school level, and with the focus on the very talented senior class this year, that sort of fell by the wayside.

Hopefully, Matt can turn it around ...

Also, word is Marvin delos Santos is the new coach at Las Lomas, replacing Sean Hisaka, who was let go after one season. Marvin is a Cal Stars coach, and was the JV coach at Miramonte in 2016-17 -- he too has paid his dues.

Good for Matt ... he's earned this chance. Unfortunately the program is not positioned to continue its recent success, as the numbers dropped to alarming levels for varsity and JV players, and Joaquin Moraga, the primary middle school feeder, didn't even have an eighth grade team.

One of the necessities of high school coaching is nurturing the talent pipeline at the junior varsity and middle school level, and with the focus on the very talented senior class this year, that sort of fell by the wayside.

Hopefully, Matt can turn it around ...

Also, word is Marvin delos Santos is the new coach at Las Lomas, replacing Sean Hisaka, who was let go after one season. Marvin is a Cal Stars coach, and was the JV coach at Miramonte in 2016-17 -- he too has paid his dues.

Kirby has definitely paid his dues but is put in an unfortunate position as there (as you said clay) no talent in the pipeline and losing a lot of seniors. It could be some time before they are really good...but glad he's getting a shot. Hopefully, we'll be able to see if Marvin can build on the success of last years coach. It'll be interesting to see if the Cal Stars blueprint can work with average players. Is Las Lomas like the other Lamorinda schools, academically and can they get players in?

Last edited:
Elgin Leslie reached out to me via text (need to source this for NorCal_Fan) to say he will not be re-applying for the Carondelet job. Apparently interviews will take place in June for those who do apply.

Margaret Gartner could be in the mix, I'm thinking ... though, NorCal_Fan, I haven't heard that from her directly, or from anyone else.

Reactions: straightline50
Elgin Leslie reached out to me via text (need to source this for NorCal_Fan) to say he will not be re-applying for the Carondelet job. Apparently interviews will take place in June for those who do apply.

Margaret Gartner could be in the mix, I'm thinking ... though, NorCal_Fan, I haven't heard that from her directly, or from anyone else.

Don't be a smart ass Clay, and calm down-lol. the whole reason I said anything was because no job was posted anywhere (at the time), and here we're talking about a guy's job. I've supported a lot of what you've said, so don't get all butt-hurt when I comment.

Well that's too bad. Is C-Let a good still? In your opinion, Clay, which is the best job in the Eastbay right now (680/24)/4

Sorry about the snide remark ... you're right.

Carondelet is a good job, and conceivably a great one, so it's the best one out there right now. The difference, I think, between it being good and great is what the administration wants for the program. If the administration is willing and able to help win state championships, and deal with all that comes with an elite program that could be on the fringes of the national rankings, then it's a great job for a coach who wants to work very hard, recruit well and schedule aggressively.

If the administration balks at what's necessary for that kind of success -- and there's nothing wrong with that, by the way -- then it's a good job because you're still going to get a lot of good players and be in position to compete for NCS titles every year.

Of the others, I think Amador and Campolindo are potentially very good jobs, but both are limited geographically, both by the available population they can draw from, and the nearby competition.

As always, though, any coach who wants to succeed at a high level has to be ready to put in the time, and I think it's a surprise to some just how much time is involved when you try to compete at the upper levels in the East Bay.

Carondelet is a good job, and conceivably a great one, so it's the best one out there right now. The difference, I think, between it being good and great is what the administration wants for the program. If the administration is willing and able to help win state championships, and deal with all that comes with an elite program that could be on the fringes of the national rankings, then it's a great job for a coach who wants to work very hard, recruit well and schedule aggressively.

If the administration balks at what's necessary for that kind of success -- and there's nothing wrong with that, by the way -- then it's a good job because you're still going to get a lot of good players and be in position to compete for NCS titles every year.

Of the others, I think Amador and Campolindo are potentially very good jobs, but both are limited geographically, both by the available population they can draw from, and the nearby competition.

As always, though, any coach who wants to succeed at a high level has to be ready to put in the time, and I think it's a surprise to some just how much time is involved when you try to compete at the upper levels in the East Bay.

I think that at any school, you'll need someone that's willing to put a lot of time and work in order for it to be successful. You look at the blueprint Mitty, Salesian and Miramonte have had (Head Coaches have their own AAU teams and get good players in), it's the only real way to go. If you're the type of coach that doesn't coach AAU, the chances of you being GREAT are slim to none.

I will agree to disagree with Amador. They've had a carousel of coaches in the last 10 years and the common denominator has been the parents and lack of institutional support. This last guy was thrown through the ringer just because a (one) player's parent didn't like him (this is well documented in the pleasanton newspaper-if you haven't read it, read it. It's a trip). Art seemed to have success at Campo without too much parental involvement, but it's kind of the outside looking in thing.

Coach West at Moreau stepped down as coach due to a new position at the school that did not allow for her to continue coaching.

Oops _ "recruit well?"

Just saw that Brookside is looking for a new head coach. I heard that they were having a hard time fielding enough kids for next year. Bummer cause they've been good...

At some level, maybe not the coaches but someone is encouraging kids/families to enroll.
Everybody thinks so, but not really, at least in the case of Mitty. In my experience (admittedly a while back now) the other CCS private schools "encourage" a lot more than Mitty does. Because Mitty doesn't have to.

Reactions: OnBall8
Everybody thinks so, but not really, at least in the case of Mitty. In my experience (admittedly a while back now) the other CCS private schools "encourage" a lot more than Mitty does. Because Mitty doesn't have to.
So Mitty does encourage at some level, just not as much as SI or Sacred Heart? I have no clue who would encourage more but I would say it is safe to assume that because Mitty does not "have to" encourage like the others that their encouraging is much more targeted. Mater Dei does not have to recruit or encourage kids to come to Mater Dei for football. However, I am sure if there is a 6'5" left handed rocket armed golden boy quarterback lingering around someone somewhere might "encourage" him to attend Mater Dei. More specifically put a 6'2" All American from Santa Cruz does not end up in San Jose without someone suggesting that it might be a nice place to further your academic and basketball career.

Regardless of a school and their positive reputation there not many athletes showing up and dropping $20,000 a year for four years without some "encouraging".

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
What remains interesting about the Santa Cruz case in question is that both parents of the gifted youngster have been public school basketball coaches in that coastal community. The fact that the teen attends Mitty, a private school 30 miles away over Highway 17, says volumes about Mitty and the state of prep basketball in the Santa Cruz area generally.

Reactions: straightline50
What remains interesting about the Santa Cruz case in question is that both parents of the gifted youngster have been public school basketball coaches in that coastal community. The fact that the teen attends Mitty, a private school 30 miles away over Highway 17, says volumes about Mitty and the state of prep basketball in the Santa Cruz area generally.
I would add they are very smart and did what was best for their daughter as should everyone.

In fairness, Mitty girls' hoops is a lot like DeLaSalle football. Neither has to blatantly recruit players. Kids come to them of their own volition. That doesn't make it pleasant for their public school rivals. But that's simply the reality today.

Reactions: ClayK
C'mon, dude...We wouldn't have two varsity players transferring to Mitty if that weren't the case...

IF mitty didn't have that kind of reputation, why do you think they'd want to transfer from strong/decent programs? Mitty is an basketball school. I highly doubt anyone from Mitty was encouraging them to come (well, maybe players but not coaches).

Reactions: OnBall8
IF mitty didn't have that kind of reputation, why do you think they'd want to transfer from strong/decent programs? Mitty is an basketball school. I highly doubt anyone from Mitty was encouraging them to come (well, maybe players but not coaches).

No question that at a certain point, recruiting becomes unnecessary -- families that understand the system and the process also realize where the greatest advantage is for those families, and act accordingly.

Now parents and players interact a lot in youth basketball, and conversations will and should take place. No parent should just blindly accept the educational path laid out for their child, whether she be a basketball player or a musician or a brilliant math student. All schools are not created equal, and if there are options available, a parent would be remiss not to explore them and then make a decision about what's best for their child.

And isn't this all supposed to be about children?

Reactions: dbrown68

Yes and no....I think initially it's about the kids but when you get to that level, it's about championships AND ego. I'm a nobody in the basketball world, but I remember years ago, going to Santa Clara to watch one of the ID showcases put on by Mrk Anger, and Pat Summit sat next to me and a friend. She was the most personable, humble (superstar) person I've ever met. We talked for a long time about local talent, who she was watching...it was great.

Fast forward and you talk to people from upper programs like Gonslaves, Phillips, and McCord and they're not very nice people (just from the few instances I've had and from what I've been told). So yes, it's about the kids, getting them to super power teams, but lets be real..a lot of this is about a coaches ego and accolades.

From multiple encounters with most of the top coaches (definitely the 3 you mentioned) in the region and even in passing, I would disagree with norcal fan. I think they are in fact very nice people. Not sure of the context/environment that you had interactions with them, but that often plays into how a very competitive person reacts to a "nobody" (your word not mine) or a parent confronting them. I may not agree with their coaching style, schemes, etc, heck I may not even really like their personality or think they are a good coach, but I have yet to encounter a coach that wasn't a "nice person". Talk to them like people and they will all treat you as such in return.

From multiple encounters with most of the top coaches (definitely the 3 you mentioned) in the region and even in passing, I would disagree with norcal fan. I think they are in fact very nice people. Not sure of the context/environment that you had interactions with them, but that often plays into how a very competitive person reacts to a "nobody" (your word not mine) or a parent confronting them. I may not agree with their coaching style, schemes, etc, heck I may not even really like their personality or think they are a good coach, but I have yet to encounter a coach that wasn't a "nice person". Talk to them like people and they will all treat you as such in return.

Yah you have a good point. Maybe not nice people is too strong...I should have used not as sociable...BIG difference...thanks for catching that.

After a game, before a game, their mind is probably on the game itself. I was just referring to the instances (not many) that I've had...

My point is that I think whatever decisions are made, and whatever rules are imposed, should be about the children -- not about schools or "competitive equity" (whatever that might be) or bureaucratic organization. The first and last question should be "What's best for the child?"

And the best people to answer that question are the parents. Will they be wrong some of the time? Of course, but I'd rather have parents make a decision about a child's present and future than a bureaucrat or a set of rules, because their decisions will be wrong some of the time too.

Finally, to beat the dead horse, why does an elite athlete operate under different rules than an elite singer for a choir, or an elite engineering student working on an ROV?

In fairness, Mitty girls' hoops is a lot like DeLaSalle football. Neither has to blatantly recruit players. Kids come to them of their own volition. That doesn't make it pleasant for their public school rivals. But that's simply the reality today.
"Kids come on their on volition"? Really, the kids do? "Neither has to (blatantly) recruit players" - But they do recruit, just not blatantly?

No question that at a certain point, recruiting becomes unnecessary -- families that understand the system and the process also realize where the greatest advantage is for those families, and act accordingly.

Now parents and players interact a lot in youth basketball, and conversations will and should take place. No parent should just blindly accept the educational path laid out for their child, whether she be a basketball player or a musician or a brilliant math student. All schools are not created equal, and if there are options available, a parent would be remiss not to explore them and then make a decision about what's best for their child.

At what point does recruiting become unnecessary?

My point is that I think whatever decisions are made, and whatever rules are imposed, should be about the children -- not about schools or "competitive equity" (whatever that might be) or bureaucratic organization. The first and last question should be "What's best for the child?"

And the best people to answer that question are the parents. Will they be wrong some of the time? Of course, but I'd rather have parents make a decision about a child's present and future than a bureaucrat or a set of rules, because their decisions will be wrong some of the time too.

Finally, to beat the dead horse, why does an elite athlete operate under different rules than an elite singer for a choir, or an elite engineering student working on an ROV?
Are there any elite singers searching out choir programs?

Are there any elite singers searching out choir programs?

Here in Oakland, if you're into the "arts" you'll want to go to OSA, hand down. And kids are being turned away left and right. So if there's a certain niche, I'd say yes, they'll find it. But lets be real here, sports and the arts are totally apples and oranges. There's not a commission (CIF) dedicated to choir, drama, or engineering. Also, no state league, section, and state championship where money is involved. You've used the arts comparison and I just don't think it's really applicable. arts is different from sports is different from academics (science).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT