ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching openings

But how are sports different to the child than arts or math or whatever? All of this bureaucracy is imposed by adults who have judged, for no apparent reason, that choosing a school for sports is wrong, but choosing a school for any other reason is OK.

Yes, transfer rules do apply for non-athletes, but why are the athletes required to do more to be able to participate? What is the justification?

It's not like high school sports generate a lot of income for schools -- and most likely are a money-loser -- so why all these rules? Let the family do what it can to get a child in the best possible place, regardless of what activities they excel in.

Again, this is about the children. Or do I have that wrong?

Yah, I don't know the answer, Clay. I can see what you're saying about it being for the kids and how you can transfer to a school to take Latin but can't transfer to a school to play tennis. While I do think that it SHOULD be about the kids, many of times it's not. I think the old perception is that Latin, Science, Drama, Choir are all closely tied with academics whereas sports is more tied with after school troglodytes. I'm just being real and suggesting that could be one perception of administrators. For what it's worth, I don't know of many kids transferring from American to Moreau for the world history or government classes offered. On a whole, kids transfer (majority) schools to play sports and if it's a public school kid going private, that's ADA money lost for that school...

Let me ask you this...If Nike were to take away ALL the money, AAU mandated that travel ball be completely free, how many coaches would be left standing? I know this is more about high school than AAU, but is it really about kids or is it about ego's and perception.

Mitty is an amazing program and when kids transfer there, they know that they play a national schedule, play in front of dozens of college coaches. A kid from Mission of Fremont doesn't have any of those opportunities.

If Nike were to take away ALL the money, AAU mandated that travel ball be completely free, how many coaches would be left standing?
I think you would be surprised at the amount of coaches that really don't make big money (if any). I can't speak for how much money Cal Stars or other huge, sponsored programs bring in, but many coaches make pennies on the hour. I'm sure there are exceptions but for the most part, you don't get into women's basketball for the money.

But how are sports different to the child than arts or math or whatever? All of this bureaucracy is imposed by adults who have judged, for no apparent reason, that choosing a school for sports is wrong, but choosing a school for any other reason is OK.

Yes, transfer rules do apply for non-athletes, but why are the athletes required to do more to be able to participate? What is the justification?

It's not like high school sports generate a lot of income for schools -- and most likely are a money-loser -- so why all these rules? Let the family do what it can to get a child in the best possible place, regardless of what activities they excel in.

Again, this is about the children. Or do I have that wrong?
So if it is about the kids then the kid should be allowed to transfer whenever and wherever. Play for a team on Friday, transfer on Monday and play the following week. After all if a singer transferred on Friday they would would be allowed to sing in the winter concert the following week at the new school.

But my guess is you want some rules just not all of them. It would make for an interesting state playoff tournament, beat a team and pick up their best player and move on to the next round.

My rule would be this: If a school accepts you as a student at the beginning of a school year, you are eligible to participate in all extracurricular activities, just like every other student. If you change schools during the year, then the existing transfer rules apply.

My rule would be this: If a school accepts you as a student at the beginning of a school year, you are eligible to participate in all extracurricular activities, just like every other student. If you change schools during the year, then the existing transfer rules apply.

what if there was a change of residence? The NCAA has rules, JC has rule, NAIA has rule pertaining to transferring. Personally I don't have a problem if a student wants to go from school A to B to C, but I just don't like the notion that its just for the kids because in a lot of cases, it's not. If I were a coach and DeCosta, Jackie Gemelos, Lisa Leslie or any other high profile kid wanted to come to my school, I'd welcome it with open arms. But with kids transferring 2-3 time JUST for basketball is down right stupid. Give a kid ONE mulligan with no penalties and leave it at that. Isn't that more fair? you get one chance to transfer (unless moving residences) and if not, deal with it...sports should be about life lessons too...

Last edited:
So if i want to transfer at Christmas and I am a track athlete and I have to sit out? But, if I am in the choir I am not forced to sit out spring semester.

If this about the kids I should be able to transfer.

No system is perfect ... but the one we have now penalizes athletes disproportionately, for no good reason.

If you like, allow transfers at any time, and if a bandit school approves them, so be it. That's how it works in the DMV -- St. John's once had a girl transfer in November on a Friday and the next week she suited up for Riverdale Baptist. Oddly enough, the sky did not gall.

If we're going to err, let's err on the side of taking care of children and allowing families to make decisions, rather than allowing rules and bureaucracies to have the first call.

Again, let schools determine extracurricular eligibility, not some outside agency. If the school says a girl can play, let her play -- and in the long run, so what if they win two more games?

Good for Matt ... he's earned this chance. Unfortunately the program is not positioned to continue its recent success, as the numbers dropped to alarming levels for varsity and JV players, and Joaquin Moraga, the primary middle school feeder, didn't even have an eighth grade team.

One of the necessities of high school coaching is nurturing the talent pipeline at the junior varsity and middle school level, and with the focus on the very talented senior class this year, that sort of fell by the wayside.

Hopefully, Matt can turn it around ...

Clay, Clay Clay Clay!! Never post, enjoy your insight. Just returned from a business trip out of the country for 2 weeks. I cannot believe the hypocrisy above. You just crossed the line brother. I cannot let these comments slide. Coach Thoms did a wonderful job for us. Contrary to your inaccurate statement he did nurture the pipeline. Samantha Johnston? He had her in his program since 6th grade. Spent endless time with her each summer. Your crew was all over her to join Miramonte. Like 24/7/365. Yes, she told all her friends Mr. Barnes pitched your school non stop. Coach Thoms took the high road and let this go. It's demoralizing to spend that much with kids and then lose them because another school relentlessly recruits them away.
I also love the hypocrisy of your comments in regards to Miramonte nurturing your own pipeline in middle school. I think you mean for your JV program because most Orinda girls never get to play varsity basketball at their own school. You had 4 very good freshmen last season. None were from Orinda. The same the year before with De Los Santos, Tarasow and Welsh. Oh, while we are at it, Tarasow lives in Moraga. Guess where she should also be going to school?
Clay, next time think about your own house before you throw grenades at other houses with passive aggressive snide comments.

Clay, Clay Clay Clay!! Never post, enjoy your insight. Just returned from a business trip out of the country for 2 weeks. I cannot believe the hypocrisy above. You just crossed the line brother. I cannot let these comments slide. Coach Thoms did a wonderful job for us. Contrary to your inaccurate statement he did nurture the pipeline. Samantha Johnston? He had her in his program since 6th grade. Spent endless time with her each summer. Your crew was all over her to join Miramonte. Like 24/7/365. Yes, she told all her friends Mr. Barnes pitched your school non stop. Coach Thoms took the high road and let this go. It's demoralizing to spend that much with kids and then lose them because another school relentlessly recruits them away.
I also love the hypocrisy of your comments in regards to Miramonte nurturing your own pipeline in middle school. I think you mean for your JV program because most Orinda girls never get to play varsity basketball at their own school. You had 4 very good freshmen last season. None were from Orinda. The same the year before with De Los Santos, Tarasow and Welsh. Oh, while we are at it, Tarasow lives in Moraga. Guess where she should also be going to school?
Clay, next time think about your own house before you throw grenades at other houses with passive aggressive snide comments.

FYI Sam Johnston played for LBA 7th-8th grade years...but I hear what you're saying. It's funny, Daryl Hiroshima was FIRED for doing the same thing Kelly has been doing. Parents got pissed because their little snowflakes couldn't make the basketball teams because Daryl had kids from out of the district attending. In come the next coach, and nothing. There are two distinct differences between Daryl and Sopak...I won't mention it but I think everyone can see what I'm talking about.

That being said, I don't think it's the high road when you let a player get out recruited by another coach. If you want the player and she's in your feeder program, you better work just as hard as the next cheater....errr...coach to make sure she stays planted. I think what Clay's trying to say is that the ENTIRE pipeline (getting kids interested in Campo basketball) wasn't fully cultivated. the last 4 years, the JV program was not very good and it's not all on Kirby. He had no talent.

At most, there is heresay. If history is a guide, my guess is there is coloring in the grey area but using a word like cheater is inappropriate without the stating of facts.

FYI Sam Johnston played for LBA 7th-8th grade years...but I hear what you're saying. It's funny, Daryl Hiroshima was FIRED for doing the same thing Kelly has been doing. Parents got pissed because their little snowflakes couldn't make the basketball teams because Daryl had kids from out of the district attending. In come the next coach, and nothing. There are two distinct differences between Daryl and Sopak...I won't mention it but I think everyone can see what I'm talking about.

That being said, I don't think it's the high road when you let a player get out recruited by another coach. If you want the player and she's in your feeder program, you better work just as hard as the next cheater....errr...coach to make sure she stays planted. I think what Clay's trying to say is that the ENTIRE pipeline (getting kids interested in Campo basketball) wasn't fully cultivated. the last 4 years, the JV program was not very good and it's not all on Kirby. He had no talent.
Sam played for Cal Stars as an 8th grader and then it was party over.

I was using general cheater/recruiting (because that is actually cheating) as a term..not aimed at a specific coach/player/school. I was saying that if you have a coach that takes the high road or a coach thats recruiting (that is cheating by the way), one can sit and do nothing OR they can encourage kid to stay more. I'll edit my post if it offends anyone....

Sam played for Cal Stars as an 8th grader and then it was party over.

don't know the girl or the particular circumstances, but it sounds like a possibility that, exposed to several coaches, she picked the one that was best for her needs. remember, Moraga, Orinda, Lafayette, and parts of Walnut Creek are in the same high school district, and students are allowed to choose from 4 schools.

what is involved in the cheating of recruitment? bribes? blackmail? free rent in luxury apartments including housekeepers, cooks, and chauffeurs?

don't know the girl or the particular circumstances, but it sounds like a possibility that, exposed to several coaches, she picked the one that was best for her needs. remember, Moraga, Orinda, Lafayette, and parts of Walnut Creek are in the same high school district, and students are allowed to choose from 4 schools.

what is involved in the cheating of recruitment? bribes? blackmail? free rent in luxury apartments including housekeepers, cooks, and chauffeurs?

It's recruiting! RECRUITING..that's supposed to be illegal..undue influence...

playing for a coach and realizing that you are better fit for that system is not recruiting. Pretty sure her mom knows a thing or 2 about the game and probably had a say in things from her professional point of view. Doubt a smart lady like that (because lets be real "recruiting" happens mostly at a parental level) would be influenced by anything other than what she saw with her own eyes, and who her daughter enjoyed playing for/with on the court.

By the way, it looks like Samantha Johnston will be joining her mother in Cedar City UT ... Tracy Sanders is the new head coach at Southern Utah.

By the way, it looks like Samantha Johnston will be joining her mother in Cedar City UT ... Tracy Sanders is the new head coach at Southern Utah.

ouch...that kinda hurts, Clay! Good luck to her an Tracy for the new move!

New hires:

Castro Valley -- James Foster
Amador Valley -- Dan Sweeney

Dougherty Valley, Moreau Catholic still open, I believe.

New hires:

Castro Valley -- James Foster
Amador Valley -- Dan Sweeney

Dougherty Valley, Moreau Catholic still open, I believe.
Two good hires. Jim did a great job at Livermore now moving back to Castro Valley where I think he will be successful. But that also means the Livermore position in now open - correct?

playing for a coach and realizing that you are better fit for that system is not recruiting. Pretty sure her mom knows a thing or 2 about the game and probably had a say in things from her professional point of view. Doubt a smart lady like that (because lets be real "recruiting" happens mostly at a parental level) would be influenced by anything other than what she saw with her own eyes, and who her daughter enjoyed playing for/with on the court.
No question and fair points. It's also well known by everyone in the Moraga community the mom wanted her at Campo. She realized it's bigger than her and let Sam make the choice. It's also well known that they both realized they made a mistake in the middle of her freshmen year for various reasons we could all guess.
Miramonte is a fine program run by first class coaches. My original reason for posting was Clay going after Campo and it's previous coach. It was a low blow based on false assumptions.

Moreau Catholic's new coach is Jose Alverez. He has been coaching in the area for several years and should be able to bring the program back toward the top.

Moreau Catholic's new coach is Jose Alverez. He has been coaching in the area for several years and should be able to bring the program back toward the top.

Where has he been coaching? What makes you think he'll be able to revive this program? I've always thought that Moreau is a goldmine just waiting to explode. I hope he can start getting it done...But as Clay has said before, it depends on the administration and how well they want girls basketball to succeed.

It sure does Fella.

LOL it really doesn't...can't get it done on his own? Dude built up a Campo team that had a losing record before he took the job, and in 3 years had them playing in the norcal finals-every year progressing. did the same thing at Bentley. Clay's a good coach and is knowledgeable about hoops. Does he know everything? nope and he'll be the first one to tell you that. He has a pretty good resume. Easy to throw stones behind a screen...

Reactions: OnBall8
Where has he been coaching? What makes you think he'll be able to revive this program? I've always thought that Moreau is a goldmine just waiting to explode. I hope he can start getting it done...But as Clay has said before, it depends on the administration and how well they want girls basketball to succeed.
East Bay Swag and Team United. He has been involved for quite some time. Assuming he has some youth connections so that is a start to getting talent.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
C'mon, dude...We wouldn't have two varsity players transferring to Mitty if that weren't the case...

You are 100% correct. I was coaching AAU with Tami Monson (Mitty Assistant Coach) and she was bragging how they had stole two young future varsity starters from Pinewood. One of them is O. Williams. She flat out said that they were waving both girls tuition (free) to get them to transfer. Well obviously it worked. If that isn’t recruiting I don’t know what is. Disgusting. I’m sure it will hurt Pinewood to have to face them the next couple of years. Getting all the best players from the SJ area isn’t enough for Mitty. They go after their competitors freshman and sophomores too.

You are 100% correct. I was coaching AAU with Tami Monson (Mitty Assistant Coach) and she was bragging how they had stole two young future varsity starters from Pinewood. One of them is O. Williams. She flat out said that they were waving both girls tuition (free) to get them to transfer. Well obviously it worked. If that isn’t recruiting I don’t know what is. Disgusting. I’m sure it will hurt Pinewood to have to face them the next couple of years. Getting all the best players from the SJ area isn’t enough for Mitty. They go after their competitors freshman and sophomores too.
Wow! So I'm sure before you anonymously posted this on a message board you contacted the CIF to report this blatant rules violation, correct? What is interesting, according to my knowledge, is that only one player transferred from Pinewood to Mitty, not two. But since you're in the know, you must have insider info not available to the general basketball community. Perhaps you could tell us the other player's name.

Could you also enlighten us how these two Pinewood "future starters" players were "stolen"? What is the incentive? Coaching? Doubt that. Tuition? PW can waive fees as easily as Mitty. Success on the court? PW has just as much as Mitty.

Were these players "stolen" the same way the Mitty player was "stolen" by Pinewood a few years back, or the Los Altos player was "stolen" by PW or the PW player was "stolen" by St. Francis or the Silver Creek player was "stolen" by Woodside Priory? Or is it possible these students that transferred to and from these various schools found they preferred a different environment, both in terms of basketball and school fit.

Finally, what was coach Monson's response when you told her what she was doing was both ethically wrong and in clear violation of CIF rules? I would think if you found it so "disgusting" that you would call her out. Or did you chose to not say anything and then post your "insider" info on a message board instead.

Look forward to your response.

Always a real hoot to watch the private/parochials whine among themselves about recruiting violations as they devour one another in an endless CCS arms race.

Reactions: Crusaders70
Wow, someone got triggered. I’m not here to spread rumors. But I know what came out of her mouth, the word “stole”, two players names (one of which must have stayed at Pinewood), and how. You don’t have to believe me. In regards to why I didn’t call her out on it. She’s a man hater. That’s all I am going to say about that. I have all the respect in the world for Sue Phillips, I honestly just wish her assistant would show some humility and better represent the legendary program she’s a part of.

I’ll ask said assistant tonight. Which AAU program did you say you were coaching with at the time? From my knowledge ms Monson doesn’t even coach AAU for the cagers so I find this hard to believe

Call me out. I was coaching with the Cagers. It was while at the EOT Capital Classic in Rocklin, CA, at the Hardwood Palace on July 24th, in the early afternoon. Do you want to know what court we were on?

Call me out. I have no reason to lie.

You were coaching with the cagers over the summer??? Doubtful. It was all Mitty coaching staff over summer buddy

Please go ahead with what you said you would do and ask “said coach” if she was at the “said tournament”, on the “said day”.

I know what she said. She knows what she said. And I could care less who you are and your opinion.

So you’re on the AM coaching staff right? Since you were coaching with the cagers over the summer... right?? Let’s not gloss over that detail.

@Streak One without a leg to stand on, his comments violate board rules about fake news and should be deleted.

So you’re on the AM coaching staff right? Since you were coaching with the cagers over the summer... right?? Let’s not gloss over that detail.

@Streak One without a leg to stand on, his comments violate board rules about fake news and should be deleted.

I thought the Cagers were a separate entity than AM, or should be?

I’m not spreading rumors or lying. I shared my opinion / arguement disagreeing with the statement that Mitty doesn’t recruit. I substatiated my arguement based upon what was told to me by a coach from that program. One of two players mentioned by the coach is now playing for Mitty.

This is not fake news. I did not post a new thread to get attention. I disagreed with someone and shared my reason why. I don’t appreciate being accused or threatening to have my opinion being taken down.
Prove one thing I said that was false before calling me a liar.

Prove one thing I said that was false before calling me a liar.
Yea... The part where you said you were coaching with the cagers... Pretty positive that's false. I'll report back on the rocklin thing. Already looked up pics of coach Phillips at that tournament coaching solo so there's that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT