ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to these Colfax girls

This group may have won the state at DV and I’m not sure there is a DV public in the state that could have given them a game. They’ve beat Granite Bay, St Francis, Del Oro, Woodcreek, Davis, Placer, Roseville, Oak Ridge, etc. in tourneys and recent games this year. Folsom, Grant and El Camino all canceled games with them that were not covid related. I can’t blame them because you watch them warm up and think you’re playing a good middle school team and then they beat you by 10 or 20. Th y haven’t played a game this year without a starter out on injury and they just beat these big school up.

This group may have won the state at DV and I’m not sure there is a DV public in the state that could have given them a game. They’ve beat Granite Bay, St Francis, Del Oro, Woodcreek, Davis, Placer, Roseville, Oak Ridge, etc. in tourneys and recent games this year. Folsom, Grant and El Camino all canceled games with them that were not covid related. I can’t blame them because you watch them warm up and think you’re playing a good middle school team and then they beat you by 10 or 20. Th y haven’t played a game this year without a starter out on injury and they just beat these big school up.
This is a good group but to be accurate they have not played Oak Ridge and only scored 33 in a loss to Del Oro.

Reactions: snake18
Beat Del Oro several times in tourneys this year and last and yes, did lose a few weeks ago without one of their starters and shot horribly. There is no doubt they’re better then DO and they’ve played Oak Ridge too at Hard Wood and haven’t lost to then

One problem with the CIF tourney: Where teams wind up being placed can be a perplexing and rather arbitrary exercise. So who knows which schools might be put in DV in a given year? Or any other division for that matter? It's basically a bit of a crapshoot. Assuming a particular team will be in a particular division is pure speculation. Who's to say a unit like Capuchino, a stellar public school (with absolutely no history whatsoever of female hoops excellence), would not be placed in DV? The Mustangs feature two college scholarship talents (Gamble and Afeaki, 6-0 and 6-2 respectively) and a solid supporting cast. The idea that anyone can predict what a bracket would look like is far-fetched. These are not enrollment-based brackets, after all. They are competitive equity brackets. So Colfax might well be slotted into DIII or DIV. No one knows.

Actually, Colfax is a D4 school by enrollment, with 581 students.

To bad Covid messed up the season. Would have been very interesting to see how far this little school would have gone.

Part of my post was to congratulate Christiane Carlisle and Natalie Lundberg for committing to their colleges. Lots of girls get recognized from the Bay Area and sac on this forum, but they are from a little town and seem to fall through the cracks.
I did not want to start a debate of how good they are because it could have been a great season for the little school. Unfortunately we will never know. They would have probably been a high seed in d-4 like last year when the fell one game short. I could see that happening again, but again we will never know. Does not matter what level you are watching, this team is absolutely amazing. Public little schools don’t have groups like this very often. They are special in that regard. They had a great season, playing great competition so hats of to them.

Reactions: Coach_Case
Divisional enrollment varies by section, but I didn't realize Sac-Joaquin went to 600. It's around 400 in NCS -- and of course there is no statewide standard. Generally, though, a school of Colfax' size is D4.

Antelope tried to schedule a game, but unfortunate didn't workout, as Colfax was not able to play.

Last edited:
I know it’s not enrollment based and that has contributed to this group having to play schools two or three times their size in the playoffs. However, girlsbasketballs original point is well taken. This is a group to celebrate. I get to about 10 games a seasons with this group and have no association with Colfax other then watching this special group. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an athlete quite like the 5’1 point guard Natalie Lundberg. She outworks everyone on the court and runs that offense, distributing and fast breaking at a pace that opponents can’t keep up with. Her on ball and help side defense is incredible and I’ve watched her shut down D1 prospects such as Tameiya Sadler and Madison Butcher. She’s special and happy she’s going to play in college. This group is special and I’ll really miss them

It's a great achievement for Colfax -- public schools have to get lucky with talent, and then combine that with good coaching and a willingness to work. Colfax has clearly been one of the top smaller schools in Northern California over the past couple years. (And they've been good, on and off, for as long as I can remember ...)

Reactions: GBBall4L
The Falcons got a reality check today versus a long, athletic and sharpshooting Vanden team. Colfax was losing by 25 with less than 4 minutes to play. The NFHS video stopped before the game ended so I didn't get the final score. But hats off to them for scheduling a perennial Section D3 power.

Reactions: BCREZ and snake18
The Falcons got a reality check today versus a long, athletic and sharpshooting Vanden team. Colfax was losing by 25 with less than 4 minutes to play. The NFHS video stopped before the game ended so I didn't get the final score. But hats off to them for scheduling a perennial Section D3 power.
Kind of.... first off Vanden was so big no way could colfax stop their size. But, not official count, by halftime colfax missed 15 easy layups by breaking the press and missed 9 free throws. That usually does not happen and vanden is way to good for that to happen tonight. Game was a 20 point victory for Vanden.

Oh and by the way the Vanden coach is an embarrassment to the game of basketball. Should have been ejected numerous times if the refs would have followed the rules.... she is out on the court yelling at officials, whining every single foul, and literally just can’t stop yelling at the officials.... and the funny thing is they were up by 20. I can’t believe somebody like this got hired? Are we that desperate for coaches? She needs to grow up and act like an adult/coach not a 12 year old. I hope she reads this forum and takes a long look in the mirror. I have literally in 30 years never seen this type of behavior!! On the other hand the girls were great so maybe she is teaching them something????

Oh and by the way the Vanden coach is an embarrassment to the game of basketball. Should have been ejected numerous times if the refs would have followed the rules.... she is out on the court yelling at officials, whining every single foul, and literally just can’t stop yelling at the officials.... and the funny thing is they were up by 20. I can’t believe somebody like this got hired? Are we that desperate for coaches? She needs to grow up and act like an adult/coach not a 12 year old. I hope she reads this forum and takes a long look in the mirror. I have literally in 30 years never seen this type of behavior!!
Oh and by the way the Vanden coach is an embarrassment to the game of basketball. Should have been ejected numerous times if the refs would have followed the rules.... she is out on the court yelling at officials, whining every single foul, and literally just can’t stop yelling at the officials.... and the funny thing is they were up by 20. I can’t believe somebody like this got hired? Are we that desperate for coaches? She needs to grow up and act like an adult/coach not a 12 year old. I hope she reads this forum and takes a long look in the mirror. I have literally in 30 years never seen this type of behavior!! On the other hand the girls were great so maybe she is teaching them something????
Antelope tried to schedule a game, but unfortunate didn't workout, as Colfax was not able to play.
Didn’t Grant beat Colfax by 10?

& they lost to Del Oro by 7.
People know “Fall League” wins & losses mean nothing, right? These same girls that play for Colfax lost to the Soldiers 14U & 15U teams. People that KNOW hoop, KNOW how to translate what’s important

Reactions: BCREZ
The final score was 79-55 (ish) lol

Reactions: BCREZ
Could it be the reason she was getting on the refs was the foul difference in the first half was 16-7? Minus the 2 techs (one of which was bogus), that’s 14-7. Maybe, just maybe, she was asking for consistency. The reason the coach got the tech was because the ref refused to explain the other tech (probably because it was bogus to begin with). If you are going to point fingers, point one at the older ref. He didn’t call a foul in the second half against Colfax where you could hear the slap on the Vanden players forearm from the parking lot. He even asked a player to leave the court for not having her shirt tucked in (came out during play) instead of allowing her to fix it, causing Vanden to take a time out just so she should stay in. As far as the Colfax girls, they are scary good. A well oiled machine. While the final score was 77-56, it could have been worse. Colfax got hot from the perimeter in the 4th. As previously mentioned, it would have been interesting to see them had there been playoffs. FYI, Vanden has no seniors.

Last edited:
Could it be the reason she was getting on the refs was the foul difference in the first half was 16-7? Minus the 2 techs (one of which was bogus), that’s 14-7. Maybe, just maybe, she was asking for consistency. The reason the coach got the tech was because the ref refused to explain the other tech (probably because it was bogus to begin with). If you are going to point fingers, point one at the older ref. He didn’t call a foul in the second half against Colfax where you could hear the slap on the Vanden players forearm from the parking lot. He even asked a player to leave the court for not having her shirt tucked in (came out during play) instead of allowing her to fix it, causing Vanden to take a time out just so she should stay in. As far as the Colfax girls, they are scary good. A well oiled machine. While the final score was 77-56, it could have been worse. Colfax got hot from the perimeter in the 4th. As previously mentioned, it would have been interesting to see them had there been playoffs. FYI, Vanden has no seniors.
I'll also say this about the foul differential: Vanden was its own enemy on many occasions, with unnecessary reach-in fouls. They were so superior physically, there was no need for that. Colfax couldn't shoot over them for the most part (thus explaining the missed layups), nor could the consistently dribble drive and kick it out to 3-point shooters. I haven't seen a box score, but I'd gamble that 16-plus points of Colfax's total came from the line, often after silly fouls. So maybe some of the Vanden coach's yelling was directed at her own players for letting Colfax off the hook time after clock-expiring time.

Reactions: snake18 and BCREZ
& they lost to Del Oro by 7.
People know “Fall League” wins & losses mean nothing, right? These same girls that play for Colfax lost to the Soldiers 14U & 15U teams. People that KNOW hoop, KNOW how to translate what’s important
Colfax team never lost or even played 14u team. They are mostly seniors. That was the jv team.

I'll also say this about the foul differential: Vanden was its own enemy on many occasions, with unnecessary reach-in fouls. They were so superior physically, there was no need for that. Colfax couldn't shoot over them for the most part (thus explaining the missed layups), nor could the consistently dribble drive and kick it out to 3-point shooters. I haven't seen a box score, but I'd gamble that 16-plus points of Colfax's total came from the line, often after silly fouls. So maybe some of the Vanden coach's yelling was directed at her own players for letting Colfax off the hook time after clock-expiring time.
Fouls second half were pretty much even. Colfax final stats were 16-66 shooting while most misses were inside the key. Vanden press allowed lay up after layup. If colfax makes 1/4 of their layups it is a close game. It would have been in their best interest to forget layups(after missing lick 25 of them) and kick out for wide open three’s. Lol.
Oh it doesn’t matter how many fouls you are committing and 90% were fouls, watch the film, as a coach you need to act better. It started way before the fouls got out of hand...but don’t reach and slap and you won’t get called for fouls. They press which tends to get more fouls. And as far as the dress code issue who knows what they were calling. Really weird... honestly I think the ref was just fed up and was looking for reasons to call something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT