ADVERTISEMENT

Consequences

His dad looks 100% exactly how I would expect a Central Valley skinhead racist to look like,if I closed my eyes and were to imagine a race baiting homophobic Trump supporter his father's image would pop into my head.

Lots of speculation here about the kid and father (and his look). Yes...the kid made an anti-gay (but not racist) slur which was common to say 45 years ago with young men or immature teens calling each other names - teasing or otherwise. I don't condone the phrase in either case but lots of projection here as far as the young man and his father. They were protesting immigration which both parties have flip flopped on as far as how to solve issues which are real. Neither party can agree to a pragmatic and comprehensive approach. The truth is there are just as many extremists on both sides of the political spectrum. The father could very well have been on one of the extreme sides of the immigration issue spectrum, but he has the right to protest and free speech. It's that right that ensures people with different points of view to express their views and a foundation of this country.

Related to the kid, it is a shame in my opinion that the kid lost a scholarship over a one sentence mistake. I take the kid at his word since he probably would have acted differently if he thought he would lose his scholarship. Losing a scholarship is a big price to pay for a 5 second ...one sentence slur. Maybe the kid is a racist and homophobic person, but 5 seconds of film doesn't make the kid a bad kid or even a serial bigot and certainly doesn't prove anything other than what he said was inappropriate. His phrase wasn't appropriate but he didn't assault someone or go to jail or beat up his girlfriend or wife like some professional athletes have done only to return to their jobs. It seems the university is overreacting because of the political environment today and the environment of PC-fascism. Unfortunately, we live in a divided country and given the trend it is becoming wider and more acrimonious each decade.

@MC415 - you seem to be making a rather elitist comment stating what you expect of a "Central Valley skinhead racist" (and I am not from the central valley but actually probably know much more than you about immigration pros and cons growing up and running businesses in the an ag belt before entering the Silicon Valley high tech industries. I planted and drove a planter as a teen and when the border patrol would come by about 1/3 of the people on my machine were illegal and would take off running. The vast majority of these workers were good people and family oriented and many my friends, but I also know the element that comes across as well. This is another debate. However, I can just as easily make a derogatory blanket statement about people from Marin County. Just a thought.

Lots of speculation here about the kid and father (and his look). Yes...the kid made an anti-gay (but not racist) slur which was common to say 45 years ago with young men or immature teens calling each other names - teasing or otherwise. I don't condone the phrase in either case but lots of projection here as far as the young man and his father. They were protesting immigration which both parties have flip flopped on as far as how to solve issues which are real. Neither party can agree to a pragmatic and comprehensive approach. The truth is there are just as many extremists on both sides of the political spectrum. The father could very well have been on one of the extreme sides of the immigration issue spectrum, but he has the right to protest and free speech. It's that right that ensures people with different points of view to express their views and a foundation of this country.

Related to the kid, it is a shame in my opinion that the kid lost a scholarship over a one sentence mistake. I take the kid at his word since he probably would have acted differently if he thought he would lose his scholarship. Losing a scholarship is a big price to pay for a 5 second ...one sentence slur. Maybe the kid is a racist and homophobic person, but 5 seconds of film doesn't make the kid a bad kid or even a serial bigot and certainly doesn't prove anything other than what he said was inappropriate. His phrase wasn't appropriate but he didn't assault someone or go to jail or beat up his girlfriend or wife like some professional athletes have done only to return to their jobs. It seems the university is overreacting because of the political environment today and the environment of PC-fascism. Unfortunately, we live in a divided country and given the trend it is becoming wider and more acrimonious each decade.

@MC415 - you seem to be making a rather elitist comment stating what you expect of a "Central Valley skinhead racist" (and I am not from the central valley but actually probably know much more than you about immigration pros and cons growing up and running businesses in the an ag belt before entering the Silicon Valley high tech industries. I planted and drove a planter as a teen and when the border patrol would come by about 1/3 of the people on my machine were illegal and would take off running. The vast majority of these workers were good people and family oriented and many my friends, but I also know the element that comes across as well. This is another debate. However, I can just as easily make a derogatory blanket statement about people from Marin County. Just a thought.

——Nothing like trying to explain away and condone shitty behavior. He was also physically confrontational and lying about what transpired to boot. I’m sorry, but when you align yourself with a narcissistic, racist, bigoted, Lying, loud mouthed ass you get fleas. And by the way, your bothsiderism explanation isn’t reality ——

Last edited:
Since I actually know this kid. This is what I know about him personally. My kids have outgrown me. So I work with kids from my church. We go to football games and wrestling meets. At a wrestling meet I met Bronson. He was befriending one of my boys. The kid is black Bronson is not as I can see racist. I just can't give up on someone for 5 seconds of their life. This boils down to one thing . We have became so tribal if someone disagrees with you they become your enemy. I completely disagree with the stance he took. Stupid angry remark he made wrong! Let's all look at ourselves. Did any of us say stupid things that would embarrass us now? No? I know just probably me.

Nothing like trying to explain away and condone shitty behavior. He was also physically confrontational and lying about what transpired to boot. I’m sorry, but when you align yourself with a narcissistic, racist, bigoted, Lying, loud mouthed ass you get fleas. And by the way, your bothsiderism explanation isn’t reality ——

No...the fact is there is shitty behavior on all sides and this kid doesn't deserve to lose his scholarship for a mistake and because the institution is afraid of the repercussions in the current environment. If there was any physical violence proof then the school is right but that is not clear. If someone was flatonning my tire I would do what it takes to stop it if that was the case to defend my property and stop someone from doing it. If that was the case, the vandal should be arrested. Your comment is a prime example of the divide and you just proved it. You have an inability to take an objective point of view and don't even know the kid. If you do- you haven't made it clear. You have only made an uninformed biased conjecture and that is the crux of the problem that is dividing this country..

Lol not get his schollie taking away? He represents a diverse state and school and he should go to college for free on tax payers dime of all colors, religions and sexual orientations ????? He doesn’t deserve a penny of my tax money and that’s the consequence of using your Free Speech to spew hatred, you want to go to a protest to keep immigrant families together trying to bait them into a confrontation they got exactly what they wanted.

On Tuesday, Harmon, a former star wrestler at Oakdale High, told the San Luis Obispo Tribune, "Saying what I said is definitely not the right thing. I am supposed to be there to help the community, be the best person I can be and represent the college the best way I can. But I still feel like my freedom of speech was taken away and I don't think my scholarship should have been revoked over something like that."

That’s being the best person you can be and helping the community by trying to be edgy tough guys? His freedom of speech wasn’t taken away at all he is still free to proceed but you can’t say stupid shite and think there is no repercussions. He needs to go abroad and travel a bit mix with those scary brown people in their countries and realize most of us just want to survive and feed our families........might be a good opportunity to get cultured and stop being scared of people who are different then in your little Central Valley bubble

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba3000
Again- you prove my point of your elitist POV - little "Central Valley bubble"....LOL Kind of belittling to people that live in or come from the CV.

How so? Oakdale has the same exposure to diversity as the Bay Area? It doesn’t, nothing wrong with that some prefer the small town life, just don’t go around espousing hatred when u literally haven’t exposed yourself to the culture to have an educated opinion on it. My wife is a born and raised Central Valley girl and her my in laws still live in The Valley guess what they will admit to you the same thing......the good and the bad of it....one of the negatives my wife always said was the lack of diversity and not just racial.....going to SFSU as a young women blew her mind and broke so many stereotypes of people she had before she got to know them in the flesh, it’s not elitist it’s just the truth

Reactions: oldram3
Nobody is asking the obvious ?.... Cal Poly gives $$ for Wrestling? I had no idea. I thought you had to attend like Iowa or Minnesota if you were a wrestler.

On a serious note my hunch says Cal Poly SLO did there DD and realized the kid was a risk. They can easily dig in Social Media stuff and come to conclusions as well. Does it seem harsh? Sure. But times are different. Hell we use to play smear the queer at school. A legitimate game at recess. Say that today and you would be in jail.

Because of freedom of speech, he’s still allowed to attend Cal Poly. This year alone 10,000 kids with 4.0 gpa’s were turned away. If my son were stupid enough to say what this kid said he would deserve to lose his football scholarship.

Nobody is asking the obvious ?.... Cal Poly gives $$ for Wrestling? I had no idea. I thought you had to attend like Iowa or Minnesota if you were a wrestler.

On a serious note my hunch says Cal Poly SLO did there DD and realized the kid was a risk. They can easily dig in Social Media stuff and come to conclusions as well. Does it seem harsh? Sure. But times are different. Hell we use to play smear the queer at school. A legitimate game at recess. Say that today and you would be in jail.

I suspect wrestling scholarships are similar to baseball scholarships, most times 1/2 rides.

Thanks Bubba. I would think a partial at best as well. But in any event like you said Cal Poly is a great school and the competition for higher ed has never been better. Very expensive lesson when you factor everything in.

I don't condone with what this kid did, but am more angry at the parent for condoning, encouraging and allowing that behavior. I am totally fine with the scholarship being pulled as it was likely a small partial anyways. Colleges have every right to pick and choose, it's a big business recruiting students, marketing and perception is a big part of it. Based on the story it looks like he will still be attending CP and hopefully learning more about diversity and acceptance while he is their. I am all for a second chance and we all have said and done stupid things while younger and maybe next season he can walk back onto the team and earn some more scholly $$$ - if not he can likely get an internship representing Devin Nunes....oops political burn... (jk) o_O

Unfortunately for him this will follow him for a long time. Kids need to understand in today's social media world that everything they say and do and post is recorded and will continue to haunt them. (See Josh Hader's All Star game twitter fiasco) He may go to Cal Poly and become a changed man, but any time he goes to apply for a job, any company doing its due diligence will google his name and this story will appear.

I'm not sure how much he will learn about Diversity at Cal Poly. It is the whitest public school in the entire state at around 53% caucasian

How so? Oakdale has the same exposure to diversity as the Bay Area? It doesn’t, nothing wrong with that some prefer the small town life, just don’t go around espousing hatred when u literally haven’t exposed yourself to the culture to have an educated opinion on it. My wife is a born and raised Central Valley girl and her my in laws still live in The Valley guess what they will admit to you the same thing......the good and the bad of it....one of the negatives my wife always said was the lack of diversity and not just racial.....going to SFSU as a young women blew her mind and broke so many stereotypes of people she had before she got to know them in the flesh, it’s not elitist it’s just the truth

Again...a generalization. You don't know the family or how much the young man is exposed to other cultures. I also grew up in an ag area and there was plenty of exposure to culture and yes some areas have a lack of diversity but that can be due tio many factors which are not negative or positive. The point I am making is without knowing the person, it is tough to know what motivated them and making a generalization is comparable to them if they are motivated by generalizing a specific group of people. Unfortunately, this thread has become very political which is a symptom of today's environment which is very destructive to this country. There is little room for discourse and that only exacerbates this issue.

Many schools provide partial money - my nephew had several offers for money in wrestling including Cal Poly (and had a full ride at a private university in Iowa to wrestle); and when I was in high school many years ago I has offered some athletic money to wrestle at SJSU. Some of the majors offer full. It seems to be similar to baseball.

Many schools provide partial money - my nephew had several offers for money in wrestling including Cal Poly (and had a full ride at a private university in Iowa to wrestle); and when I was in high school many years ago I has offered some athletic money to wrestle at SJSU. Some of the majors offer full. It seems to be similar to baseball.

Actually very few baseball players get full rides. Granada outfielder Casey Soltis was offered 75% at Oregon and hard throwing left hander Justin Hooper is on a full ride at UCLA.

The article said he was counter protesting a march against zero tolerance and separation of illegal immigrant families and in my eyes that makes him a POS who would counter protest that?

Reactions: oldram3 and MC415

Well said.

The truth is there are just as many extremists on both sides of the political spectrum.

Yes, there are several known "pro-government" militias throughout history.

Wait a minute. o_O

Related to the kid, it is a shame in my opinion that the kid lost a scholarship over a one sentence mistake. I take the kid at his word since he probably would have acted differently if he thought he would lose his scholarship.

https://cdn4.geckoandfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/albert-einstein-quotes-29.jpg

Actually very few baseball players get full rides. Granada outfielder Casey Soltis was offered 75% at Oregon and hard throwing left hander Justin Hooper is on a full ride at UCLA.

In D1 BSB, coach must grant at least 25% of tuition (NOT room and board) to 27 of his 35 counters. The notion of “full rides” or “75 %” is often bluster by parents knowing it’s only a percentage of tuition and room/board/ fees is on them. Thus, confusion is initiated bc at the same school (if FBS) a “full ride” in FB INCLUDES room and board/fees. It’s uncommon, even at D1, for any BSB player to get 75% (tuition,) but it does happen.

BSB is fraught with perils. Soltis was busted twice with Miami, got a 50 game, then cut. Recently suspended by Independent pro Frontier League Florence Freedom. Hooper had TJ in ‘18.

Last edited:
In D1 BSB, coach must grant at least 25% of tuition (NOT room and board) to 27 of his 35 counters. The notion of “full rides” or “75 %” is often bluster by parents knowing it’s only a percentage of tuition and room/board/ fees is on them. Thus, confusion is initiated bc at the same school (if FBS) a “full ride” INCLUDES room and board/fees. It’s uncommon, even at D1, for any BSB player to get 75% (tuition,) but it does happen.

BSB is fraught with perils. Soltis was busted twice with Miami, got a 50 game, then cut. Recently suspended by Independent pro Frontier League Florence Freedom. Hooper had TJ in ‘18.

Always like the challenge to decoding your posts makes me read closer and not skim so as not to miss anything.....

My understanding is that most D1 baseball have 11 3/4 scholarships to spread around

My understanding is that most D1 baseball have 11 3/4 scholarships to spread around
That’s correct (11.7)
So if you take 11.7/27 you get 0.43.
More often, that does not translate into 43% for each of the 27. Ps and Cs are at a premium so a lot of coaches pot o’ gold goes there. MANY get just the minimum (25% of tuition.) You can imagine the D1 privates (with tuition at many hovering around 40k) have a distinct disadvantage recruiting against publics.....unless your name is Kris Bryant!

That’s correct (11.7)
So if you take 11.7/27 you get 0.43.
More often, that does not translate into 43% for each of the 27. Ps and Cs are at a premium so a lot of coaches pot o’ gold goes there. MANY get just the minimum (25% of tuition.) You can imagine the D1 privates (with tuition at many hovering around 40k) have a distinct disadvantage recruiting against publics.....unless your name is Kris Bryant!
And ya’ll tied to program 24x7 and ya’ll goin nowhere, so go where ya wannt, get degree and have great experience even if ya’ll can’t “play”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT