ADVERTISEMENT

Data; DeLaSalle vs Folsom 12/14/13 - 8/17/18

Sacchiefs

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2018
While the kids where out of school for the summer i got some much needed rest and i got to enjoy the break from all the drama and paperwork! Now, School is getting ready to start back up soooooooooo that means Football season is upon us as well! With that said i needed to lock in on a final prediction on the big game. Before making my final prediction i used some of my free time to look a lil closer at both teams from the last time they played on 12/14/13 until the next time they will face off again on 8/17/18. Honestly the data i found made my prediction more difficult. Both teams have been so good its hard to pick. Consistency, Discipline, and tradition Or Focus, Determination, and pride? The teacher or the student? The leader or the follower? The champ or the underdog? Idk so Lets throw all that out and look at some numbers. Numbers based on wins/loss record, state championships, key wins(victories over section or state champs), loss record (with team, team record, and what game/part of the season the loss occurred), and last years schedule and results. I know most of you may have already made your pick and have no intentions of being persuaded to change, but i thought it would be interesting to take a look at the info.

Fellow posters,,, Curious to know, if you knew nothing about either team and you only had to base your prediction on the below data, who would you pick to win and why (please lets avoid the name calling and keep it respectful).

DLS..................................................................... Folsom
50-6..................................................................... 58-4
(2) State champs................................................(2) State champs
(10) key wins.......................................................(9) key wins
- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) *State Champ................. - Del Oro 2015 (10-6) *State Champ
- St Francis 2017 (11-4) *State Champ............. - Oceanside 2014 (14-1) Section Champ
- St John, Dc 2017 (9-2) *State Champ.............- Grant 2014 (14-1) Section Champ
- Folsom 2013 (14-1) Section Champ................- Clayton Valley Charter 2015 (13-2) Sect Cmp
- Centennial 2014 (12-3) Section Champ...........- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) Section Champ
- Centennial 2015 (14-1) Section Champ...........- Del Oro 2016 (13-3) Section Champ
- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) Section Champ.................- Granite Bay 2017 (12-3) Section Champ
- Monte Vista 2016 (12-1) Section Champ.........- Central 2017 (12-2) Section Champ
- Serra 2016 (10-5) Section Champ.....................- Helix 2017 (13-2) Section Champ
- Centra 2017 (12-2) Section Champ

(6) Losses ................................................................4) Losses
-StJohnBosco 2013(13-2)State chmp/Game 15...-DeLaSalle 2013(14-1)state runner up/Gm 15
-East,Ut 2014 (14-0) State Champ/Game 4...........-Bellermine 2015(13-2) state runner up/Gm15
-Trinity,Tx 2015 (10-2) Game 1...............................-St Mary's 2016 (14-2) state runner up/Gm14
-StJohnBosco 2016 (13-2) State Chmp/Gme13...-Sacramento 2016 (10-2) Game 4
-Bishop Gorman,Nv 2017 (13-2)State Chmp/Game 4
-Mater Dei 2017 (15-0) State Champ/Game 13

* DLS has suffered an early season loss three years in a row and a loss late in the season the past two years.
* Folsom has suffered (3) of there four losses late in the year in championship games when everything was on the line.

Dls 11-2...................................................Folsom 16-0
-Amador Valley 7-5.................................-Coeur d lene, Id 9-3
-St John, Dc 9-2......................................-Jesuit 10-3
-St Francis 11-4......................................-Oakdale 12-2
-Bishop Gorman,Nv 13-2.......................-Sacramento 10-2
-Central 12-2....?.....................................-Wood Creek 2-8
-BishopODowd 9-3.................................-Granite Bay 12-3
-California 7-4........................................-Del Oro 8-6
-Foothill 8-4............................................-Nevade Union 2-8
-Monte Vista 4-7....................................-Rocklin 7-5
-San Ramon Valley 9-2..........................-Oak Ridge 11-2
-Clayton Valley Charter 8-3...................-River City 7-4
-Pittsburg 9-3.........................................-Tracy 8-4
-Mater Dei 15-0......................................-Jesuit 10-3
................................................................-St Marys 11-3
................................................................-Central 12-2
................................................................-Helix 13-2
*Both teams had good schedules and were battle tested in 2017. Based on the above info, For me it comes down to what part of the season the game is played. Since the game is being played week 0, and dls has lost early in the year the last three seasons, i would have to guess to me Folsom is barely favored in this game. My best guess FOLSOM 43-41

Last edited:
Wow! Great post @Sacchiefs ! Thanks for compiling all this data in one place for all of us to see and comprehend.

I think the biggest take away is this- the narrative is that Folsom plays nobody and DLS plays the best. Welll, looking at the actual data, this simply is not true. But of course that is my opinion.

One think I will say- overall, DLS DOES have better losses than Folsom. Meaning they're losses are to better opponents than Folsoms losses. It is ironic that 2 of the 4 losses in this timespan for Folsom are to DLS, yet the narrative is they dont play anyone.

I also think DLSs wins are arguably NOT a notch above Folsoms wins in that timespan. The only win on that list that truly stands out is Centennial, which was a GREAT win and I think that win is better than any of Folsoms wins. But, over all I think the wins during that timespan are nearly identical. The only win missing on your list is the Folsom beat down of highly touted Cathedral Catholic in 2014.

This is one of the best tale of the tapes I've seen. Thanks again for putting this together.

I agree with your prediction, although I will go Folsom 42-35.

At DLS has played some very tough teams, even though they lost to some of those great teams. Same can't be said that Folsom plays anyone tough.

At DLS has played some very tough teams
At least if you are going to troll, get the grammar and sentence structure correct! DLS is sending amateurs out here to do professional work so close to this game! Disappointing!

They better do a better job in 2 weeks. If the teams play resembles anything like these DLS posters, this game could be over quick!

Wow! Great post @Sacchiefs ! Thanks for compiling all this data in one place for all of us to see and comprehend.

I think the biggest take away is this- the narrative is that Folsom plays nobody and DLS plays the best. Welll, looking at the actual data, this simply is not true. But of course that is my opinion.

One think I will say- overall, DLS DOES have better losses than Folsom. Meaning they're losses are to better opponents than Folsoms losses. It is ironic that 2 of the 4 losses in this timespan for Folsom are to DLS, yet the narrative is they dont play anyone.

I also think DLSs wins are arguably NOT a notch above Folsoms wins in that timespan. The only win on that list that truly stands out is Centennial, which was a GREAT win and I think that win is better than any of Folsoms wins. But, over all I think the wins during that timespan are nearly identical. The only win missing on your list is the Folsom beat down of highly touted Cathedral Catholic in 2014.

This is one of the best tale of the tapes I've seen. Thanks again for putting this together.

I agree with your prediction, although I will go Folsom 42-35.
Same old song and dance. Folsom doesn’t play anyone. The two games against DLS they wanted no part of, they were forced to play them. Until the Folsom rule. If his prediction was in favor of DLS you would be screaming. 2012, 2013, last year all means nothing. But because it was in favor of Folsom it’s “WOW! Great post”. Sorry cashisking18 your a joke.

R.I.P. cashisking18

Last edited:
Reactions: SpartanzRule
At least if you are going to troll, get the grammar and sentence structure correct! DLS is sending amateurs out here to do professional work so close to this game! Disappointing!

They better do a better job in 2 weeks. If the teams play resembles anything like these DLS posters, this game could be over quick!

....unwritten posting rule on any forum, avoid grammar & basic spelling corrections, etc. Case in point, from another thread:

"The same two posters can post all the articles they want. Which I think are halarious coming from random newspapers, "community members", and quotes from coaches on their opinions, in an attempt to peddle a conspiracy theory that Folsom didnt want to play DLS anymore"

With spell check trying to guess what we want to say, pure fan adrenalin, gametime emotions we are all prone to just blurting our thoughts out there as fast as our weiner fingers can dance across the keyboard. Just relax and stick to the topic of the the thread. Don't recall how many time I have seen "looses" used in place of "losses" but I get it and move on.....kinda like a barking cat

Apologies to Sacchiefs for temporarily hijacking your thread.

Last edited:
....unwritten posting rule on any forum, avoid grammar & basic spelling corrections, etc. Case in point, from another thread:

"The same two posters can post all the articles they want. Which I think are halarious coming from random newspapers, "community members", and quotes from coaches on their opinions, in an attempt to peddle a conspiracy theory that Folsom didnt want to play DLS anymore"

With spell check trying to guess what we want to say, pure fan adrenalin, gametime emotions we are all prone to just blurting our thoughts out there as fast as our weiner fingers can dance across the keyboard. Just relax and stick to the topic of the the thread. Don't recall how many time I have seen "looses" used in place of "losses" but I get it and move on.....kinda like a barking cat
You are missing the point. The point is actually not the bad grammar or sentences. The point is the same 2 or 3 posters are coming on here with the SOLE intent of trolling, and aren't even doing it correctly.

I think you get my point. You are right. The intent is to stick to topic. That has been my point all along and the intent of my return fires.

While the kids where out of school for the summer i got some much needed rest and i got to enjoy the break from all the drama and paperwork! Now, School is getting ready to start back up soooooooooo that means Football season is upon us as well! With that said i needed to lock in on a final prediction on the big game. Before making my final prediction i used some of my free time to look a lil closer at both teams from the last time they played on 12/14/13 until the next time they will face off again on 8/17/18. Honestly the data i found made my prediction more difficult. Both teams have been so good its hard to pick. Consistency, Discipline, and tradition Or Focus, Determination, and pride? The teacher or the student? The leader or the follower? The champ or the underdog? Idk so Lets throw all that out and look at some numbers. Numbers based on wins/loss record, state championships, key wins(victories over section or state champs), loss record (with team, team record, and what game/part of the season the loss occurred), and last years schedule and results. I know most of you may have already made your pick and have no intentions of being persuaded to change, but i thought it would be interesting to take a look at the info.

Fellow posters,,, Curious to know, if you knew nothing about either team and you only had to base your prediction on the below data, who would you pick to win and why (please lets avoid the name calling and keep it respectful).

(2) State champs................................................(2) State champs
(10) key wins.......................................................(9) key wins
- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) *State Champ................. - Del Oro 2015 (10-6) *State Champ
- St Francis 2017 (11-4) *State Champ............. - Oceanside 2014 (14-1) Section Champ
- St John, Dc 2017 (9-2) *State Champ.............- Grant 2014 (14-1) Section Champ
- Folsom 2013 (14-1) Section Champ................- Clayton Valley Charter 2015 (13-2) Sect Cmp
- Centennial 2014 (12-3) Section Champ...........- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) Section Champ
- Centennial 2015 (14-1) Section Champ...........- Del Oro 2016 (13-3) Section Champ
- Del Oro 2015 (10-6) Section Champ.................- Granite Bay 2017 (12-3) Section Champ
- Monte Vista 2016 (12-1) Section Champ.........- Central 2017 (12-2) Section Champ
- Serra 2016 (10-5) Section Champ.....................- Helix 2017 (13-2) Section Champ

(6) Losses ................................................................4) Losses
-StJohnBosco 2013(13-2)State chmp/Game 15...-DeLaSalle 2013(14-1)state runner up/Gm 15
-East,Ut 2014 (14-0) State Champ/Game 4...........-Bellermine 2015(13-2) state runner up/Gm15
-Trinity,Tx 2015 (10-2) Game 1...............................-St Mary's 2016 (14-2) state runner up/Gm14

* DLS has suffered an early season loss three years in a row and a loss late in the season the past two years.
* Folsom has suffered (3) of there four losses late in the year in championship games when everything was on the line.

*Both teams had good schedules and were battle tested in 2017. Based on the above info, For me it comes down to what part of the season the game is played. Since the game is being played week 0, and dls has lost early in the year the last three seasons, i would have to guess to me Folsom is barely favored in this game. My best guess FOLSOM 43-41

Fair analysis but it was clear in the read which way you were wanting it to go

Was interesting to me that you posted significant games for both teams but didn’t include the same teams on DLS ‘s list that was apparently significant for Folsom and not DLS. Missing that point invalidates your analysis — DLS plays much more and way better teams (Folsom’s best opponent is ???? — no one within 3 TDs of MD, SJB, SJC, aka the teams that DLS has lost to

Fair analysis but it was clear in the read which way you were wanting it to go

Was interesting to me that you posted significant games for both teams but didn’t include the same teams on DLS ‘s list that was apparently significant for Folsom and not DLS. Missing that point invalidates your analysis — DLS plays much more and way better teams (Folsom’s best opponent is ???? — no one within 3 TDs of MD, SJB, SJC, aka the teams that DLS has lost to
I dont think you got his point. Yes DLS PLAYED better teams. But they didn't necessarily BEAT better teams than Folsom did except for a select few.

I think he was trying to say that the tale of the tape is much closer than some would like to admit. that's all.

I think most would expect a team like DLS with a 30 year run at dominance would have played better teams than say an up and coming program like Folsom. Fair enough right? Now is Folsom does beat DLS and makes it to the open, I would be willing to bet their schedule would continue to improve as more top tier teams would be in the mix for games.

I think the Folsom schedule this year is good. DLS and Chaninade on the road along with playing in the SFL. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

Coeur d’Alene opened the football season last year without Washington commit QB Colson Yankoff and I also believe their backup was out meaning the Vikings played there third string QB. Folsom was a better team but tough for the other team to even compete.

Coeur d’Alene opens football season without Washinton commit QB Colson Yankoff and I also believe their backup was out meaning the Vikings played there third string QB. Folsom was a better team but tough for the other team to even compete.
The same QB played them the year before and got rolled even worse by the 2016 team which wasn't nearly as good.

Nice try though.

Idaho football isn't very strong. I follow it. State champ wouldn't win many CA leagues.
Your point was that the Idaho QB was out last year, implying that was even lesser of a win. When I challenged you with the info of the same game, the year prior, you then claimed "well Idaho football isnt that strong."

Did anyone ever claim Idaho football was strong? Geez. Some people and the lengths they go to in order to indirectly troll.

The same QB played them the year before and got rolled even worse by the 2016 team which wasn't nearly as good.

Nice try though.
Folsom had the same QB 2012, 2013, and 2014. Same old song and dance. Your so lost.

R.I.P. cashisking18

Not sure what you are even saying lol. Your statement doesn't even fit into the conversation. Classic!
It’s all about your agenda. Past years results are fine when it works for you. Same old song and dance.

R.I.P. cashisking18

It’s all about your agenda. Past years results are fine when it works for you. Same old song and dance.

R.I.P. cashisking18
Lol @NorCalSportsFan brought up a game from last year but failed to mention the key details. I corrected him. I could care less about past games unless it is corrected someone trying to push a false narrative like yourself.

But you are right. It doesn't matter. All that matters is the Folsom win in 2 weeks.

Lol @NorCalSportsFan brought up a game from last year but failed to mention the key details. I corrected him. I could care less about past games unless it is corrected someone trying to push a false narrative like yourself.

But you are right. It doesn't matter. All that matters is the Folsom win in 2 weeks.
I’m sorry no one is convinced. Same old song and dance.

R.I.P. cashisking18

Your point was that the Idaho QB was out last year, implying that was even lesser of a win. When I challenged you with the info of the same game, the year prior, you then claimed "well Idaho football isnt that strong."

Did anyone ever claim Idaho football was strong? Geez. Some people and the lengths they go to in order to indirectly troll.
The point is Idaho football isn't that strong of a brand of high school football. No elite teams and many state chanmps wouldn't win some leagues in CA and middle of pack in some. That is the point. Folsom schedule has not not been stellar. League is pretty good...arguably tops in Norcal in many years, and section playoffs strong, but until they played a down Helix team didn't really play anyone elite. This year the schedule is strong and if they go through the guantlett that is saying something. I wish Folsom would schedule more WCAL games and everyone knows what happened when they played the Bells. Not to say Folsom wouldn't fair well....just saying those would be games that would be on the scale of the better teams in the SFL and playoffs. Folsom needs to prove they are an elite team and to do that they need to play an elite schedule and win some. Like I said, Folsom will need to score points against DLS which they haven't to date and those were decent Folsom teams. Folsom knows they need one of their better teams to have a shot at the Spartans. The WCAL teams play them often and while they get beat, some are respectable games and even a tie. Folsom is standing up this year and that's great, but they have a big task to defeat DLS (including the norcal streak). I will tip my hat if Folsom wins, and would like a good game because the two I saw were boring as they got their Bs kicked. It wasn't even entertaining.

The point is Idaho football isn't that strong of a brand of high school football. No elite teams and many state chanmps wouldn't win some leagues in CA and middle of pack in some. That is the point. Folsom schedule has not not been stellar. League is pretty good...arguably tops in Norcal in many years, and section playoffs strong, but until they played a down Helix team didn't really play anyone elite. This year the schedule is strong and if they go through the guantlett that is saying something. I wish Folsom would schedule more WCAL games and everyone knows what happened when they played the Bells. Not to say Folsom wouldn't fair well....just saying those would be games that would be on the scale of the better teams in the SFL and playoffs. Folsom needs to prove they are an elite team and to do that they need to play an elite schedule and win some. Like I said, Folsom will need to score points against DLS which they haven't to date and those were decent Folsom teams. Folsom knows they need one of their better teams to have a shot at the Spartans. The WCAL teams play them often and while they get beat, some are respectable games and even a tie. Folsom is standing up this year and that's great, but they have a big task to defeat DLS (including the norcal streak). I will tip my hat if Folsom wins, and would like a good game because the two I saw were boring as they got their Bs kicked. It wasn't even entertaining.
Folsom will win this game.

Thx cashisking18. I agree the catherdal catholic squad in 2014 was good. Folsom also had good wins over several other teams during that span, as did dls over south carolina's barnes and a couple of trinity league foes. Both teams played alot of good teams. For the data however i tried to narrow down a "key win",defined as a win over a champion; section or state title. Although i guess adding in league champs to the list would have been a good idea.

Reactions: cashisking18
Dlspops1314
I would have to agree with you on how you could tell where i was leaning. I researched the data at work and wrote it down to input later at home. I had plenty of time to look at all the pros and cons before going home, so by the time i posted the material i had a prediction in mind. Although i stated 43-41 with so many knowledgeable dls poster commenting on there defense being outstanding, i could easily say the game will be a low scoring affair with the same prediction folsom 22-20. Anyways, If there are games you feel i left out based on the criteria i used, sorry and please update the list.

Reactions: cashisking18
I dont think you got his point. Yes DLS PLAYED better teams. But they didn't necessarily BEAT better teams than Folsom did except for a select few.

I think he was trying to say that the tale of the tape is much closer than some would like to admit. that's all.

I think most would expect a team like DLS with a 30 year run at dominance would have played better teams than say an up and coming program like Folsom. Fair enough right? Now is Folsom does beat DLS and makes it to the open, I would be willing to bet their schedule would continue to improve as more top tier teams would be in the mix for games.

I think the Folsom schedule this year is good. DLS and Chaninade on the road along with playing in the SFL. Not bad at all.

I got his point and I don’t disagree the tale of the tape is close — only the oblivious think this is a mismatch

But CP sometimes misses teams — I think they missed SJC low and Helix for absolute certain was one of the most iverranked teams in country — those two were not comparable — that was my only objection to analysis

Dlspops1314
I would have to agree with you on how you could tell where i was leaning. I researched the data at work and wrote it down to input later at home. I had plenty of time to look at all the pros and cons before going home, so by the time i posted the material i had a prediction in mind. Although i stated 43-41 with so many knowledgeable dls poster commenting on there defense being outstanding, i could easily say the game will be a low scoring affair with the same prediction folsom 22-20. Anyways, If there are games you feel i left out based on the criteria i used, sorry and please update the list.

I thought your take was very fair

Game projects to be a coin flip or near enough

DLS’s 30-year history won’t be suiting up and this Folsom team appears to be a team that only comes along every few years in NorCal (outside of DLS)

I would take the under on your projection though — DLS hasn’t allowed that many points outside of SBG since lad arrived (1979), this defense is at least pretty good (final grade TBD), and defense usually gels earlier than offense

I have to say I have no idea how this game will go. Nither do any of you other so called experts. I have my opinion but it’s just that. But if Folsom can somehow find a way to win 22-20 is about the most reasonable prediction I’ve heard out of anyone north of the Dixon line. There’s no way they will score 40 points on DLS’s defense. And any reasonable person would say the same thing. So I feel it’s all about Folsom defense. I don’t know anything other then what I saw from last year. Im sure they have improved. Folsom vs DLS 8/17. I already have my name down in the will call book for 5 tickets. See you there.

Apologies to Sacchiefs for temporarily hijacking your thread.

Wear Is the Engrish Teecher wen you need hm.

Hears whising you grate Footbol.

There's a lot of needless banter going on in these Folsom-DLS threads. You guys are all better than this. Sheesh.

Glad to see, though, that participation around these parts looks to be in midseason form despite kickoff being 12 days away.

I for one am really glad we all get to see this titanic matchup after 4 years of shoulda, coulda, wouldas. These 2 programs have inarguably been the best in NorCal over that span and should have been playing all along IMO. But I digress....

With regard to the 08/17 matchup, I'd like to believe Folsom has a legit chance to win. But every time I've believed that about a handful of NorCal teams over the years that actually had the opportunity to step on the field with the Spartans (including Folsom in 12/13), they've gotten b!tchslapped. I'm really hoping this current Folsom squad will be the one to represent, but I'm still skeptical for good reason.

I do think Folsom CAN win. I just don't know that they will. For me, it really comes down to a couple of things.
  • Folsom has to do a fair job in pass protection. Sure, Kaiden Bennett can hurt teams with his legs. But the o-line still has to consistently give him time to get the ball to their skill players in space -- specifically Ngata and Badger.
  • The Bulldogs front 7 has to do an adequate job containing (not stopping) the veer. They cannot allow DLS to rip off long run after long run nor can they allow them to grind out 1st down after 1st down. They've got to find ways to get some stops and/or turnovers.
  • Kris Richardson has to coach smartly. He can't afford to make the same decisions he does against the likes of Woodcreek. That means Folsom can't go for it on 4th and long deep in their own territory. They've got to punt when it's called for.
If Folsom is able to do the above somewhat consistently, I believe they will have a great shot to win. In fact, I think they should win. But accomplishing all of those things is much easier said than done. But if any NorCal team is gonna pull it off, it will be Folsom.

If Folsom can get the ball to Joe Ngata and Elijah Badger via the bubble screen -- they will be tough to stop. If DLS doubles one of them (Ngata) the other is still a handful to tackle 1-on-1. I absolutely LOVE Folsom's advantage there. Yes, I realize DLS tackles like no other. But these two WR's aren't like most others. And as soon as a defense jumps the short stuff --- those guys will hit them over the top. IF Bennett has time to sling it. That's the big IF.

The other main wild cards are Bennett's ability to scramble to extend plays and convert 1st downs and Daniyel Ngata. If Daniyel can make some plays in the run game, it will really open things up for that offense.

Remember, even an elite spread offense such as Centennial had to put pressure on DLS via the run. Can't be one dimensional. If the Spartans stop the run and can unleash the pass rush with impunity, Folsom's offense will have problems.

As far as the Spartans offense goes, their key wild card is the pass attack. I've read that the SOPH QB is legit and that they will sling it a lot more this season. If Folsom sells out on the run I can see DLS making some big plays via the passing game. I remember Austin Hooper making some huge plays because he was left wide open off the fake dive. Foskey could really hurt the Bulldogs in the same way.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the game and hope we get a classic. Of course I'm rooting for Folsom, but respect the hell out of opponent. How anybody wouldn't is beyond me.

Folsom is east of Dixon. Do you not know where this is on the map? Lol
Your so lost. That was a general area. Read it again and you will find that I never said anything about Folsom being north of Dixon. Read my post if you wish but then just move on.

There's a lot of needless banter going on in these Folsom-DLS threads. You guys are all better than this. Sheesh.

Glad to see, though, that participation around these parts looks to be in midseason form despite kickoff being 12 days away.

I for one am really glad we all get to see this titanic matchup after 4 years of shoulda, coulda, wouldas. These 2 programs have inarguably been the best in NorCal over that span and should have been playing all along IMO. But I digress....

With regard to the 08/17 matchup, I'd like to believe Folsom has a legit chance to win. But every time I've believed that about a handful of NorCal teams over the years that actually had the opportunity to step on the field with the Spartans (including Folsom in 12/13), they've gotten b!tchslapped. I'm really hoping this current Folsom squad will be the one to represent, but I'm still skeptical for good reason.

I do think Folsom CAN win. I just don't know that they will. For me, it really comes down to a couple of things.
  • Folsom has to do a fair job in pass protection. Sure, Kaiden Bennett can hurt teams with his legs. But the o-line still has to consistently give him time to get the ball to their skill players in space -- specifically Ngata and Badger.
  • The Bulldogs front 7 has to do an adequate job containing (not stopping) the veer. They cannot allow DLS to rip off long run after long run nor can they allow them to grind out 1st down after 1st down. They've got to find ways to get some stops and/or turnovers.
  • Kris Richardson has to coach smartly. He can't afford to make the same decisions he does against the likes of Woodcreek. That means Folsom can't go for it on 4th and long deep in their own territory. They've got to punt when it's called for.
If Folsom is able to do the above somewhat consistently, I believe they will have a great shot to win. In fact, I think they should win. But accomplishing all of those things is much easier said than done. But if any NorCal team is gonna pull it off, it will be Folsom.

If Folsom can get the ball to Joe Ngata and Elijah Badger via the bubble screen -- they will be tough to stop. If DLS doubles one of them (Ngata) the other is still a handful to tackle 1-on-1. I absolutely LOVE Folsom's advantage there. Yes, I realize DLS tackles like no other. But these two WR's aren't like most others. And as soon as a defense jumps the short stuff --- those guys will hit them over the top. IF Bennett has time to sling it. That's the big IF.

The other main wild cards are Bennett's ability to scramble to extend plays and convert 1st downs and Daniyel Ngata. If Daniyel can make some plays in the run game, it will really open things up for that offense.

Remember, even an elite spread offense such as Centennial had to put pressure on DLS via the run. Can't be one dimensional. If the Spartans stop the run and can unleash the pass rush with impunity, Folsom's offense will have problems.

As far as the Spartans offense goes, their key wild card is the pass attack. I've read that the SOPH QB is legit and that they will sling it a lot more this season. If Folsom sells out on the run I can see DLS making some big plays via the passing game. I remember Austin Hooper making some huge plays because he was left wide open off the fake dive. Foskey could really hurt the Bulldogs in the same way.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the game and hope we get a classic. Of course I'm rooting for Folsom, but respect the hell out of opponent. How anybody wouldn't is beyond me.

Great post Thunder. Are you going down for the game? I’m guessing that’s a dumb question. But dragnet things have happened. If so we should meet up prior. There’s a group of us from the national board getting together for some beers and chow.

I agree that Folsom can win as you said. I just think it’s going to take a monumental effort by them against a team that this Folsom team hasn’t seen the likes of in DLS. A talented DLS squad that has everything on the line. They want the Open bid. Nothing less. And to a lesser extent (they’ll never admit it public ally) they want to keep the NorCal streak intact. Folsom is playing with house money. If they lose this one, they’ll get their 4th D1 ring. We know they still like those.

I think you’re post is dead on. As you said, Folsom’s D is the X factor. Can they significantly limit the DLS offense is the question. Although, Folsom will be better in the trenches this time around, DLS will still be too strong and focused to be stopped in my humble opinion..DLS will have to make Bennett uncomfortable and limit big plays by The Folsom skill guys. If they can’t, may be a tough game for Sparty. Hope to cya on game day.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Your so lost. That was a general area. Read it again and you will find that I never said anything about Folsom being north of Dixon. Read my post if you wish but then just move on.
*you're

And you got basic geography wrong. My god.

Last edited:
Cashisking writes;

"I dont think you got his point. Yes DLS PLAYED better teams. But they didn't necessarily BEAT better teams than Folsom did except for a select few."

What? Your talking nonsense. Jus' shut up.

Whoever wins, it won't matter. Because, when the end of the season comes, if both never lose again (doubtful), you will see the exact same arguments being made again. The banter, the banter, the banter....all by grown adults over a game played by immature boys.

Cashisking writes;

"I dont think you got his point. Yes DLS PLAYED better teams. But they didn't necessarily BEAT better teams than Folsom did except for a select few."

What? Your talking nonsense. Jus' shut up.
Insightful post.

I posted a fact. Enjoy the game in 2 weeks. I know I will.

Whoever wins, it won't matter. Because, when the end of the season comes, if both never lose again (doubtful), you will see the exact same arguments being made again. The banter, the banter, the banter....all by grown adults over a game played by immature boys.
It will be interesting to see DLS fans and Folsom haters combine to be on the other side of the coin this time. I cant wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT