ADVERTISEMENT

Davis' Dorothy Speck Tournament

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
Here's the website link below in the Davis Enterprise newspaper on last night's results and tonight's games.
http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/lady-devils-sink-shasta-to-open-up-speck-tournament/

(SacBee ranks in parenthesis)

(5) West Campus beat Lincoln of Stockton 69-39 -- did Lincoln of Stockton lose a lot of players from last season? West Campus is really good and should be ranked higher than Oak Ridge in SacBee rankings, but Lincoln was really strong last season.

(11) Davis beat Shasta 70-32 -- Davis is a good solid team (went 20-9 last season; lost to St. Mary's of Stockton 75-87 in 2nd round of SJS section playoffs last season). Shasta was 17-11 last season, lost to Pleasant Valley of Chico in North Section DIII Finals, and lost to St. Ignatius of SF in 2nd round of NorCals.

(1) McClatchy beat (12) Whitney 64-54 -- McClatchy up by 14 at halftime and up 8 after 3rd Q. Whitney kept it close. Whitney was 20-10 last season, and lost to Miramonte in 1st round of NorCals.

Pleasant Valley of Chico beat Nevada Union of Grass Valley, 58-47 -- Pleasant Valley was 22-7 last season, North Section DIII Champs, and lost to Campolindo 58-67 in quarterfinals of State CIF.

Tonight's games at Davis HS:
(5) West Campus vs. (11) Davis at 8 p.m.
(1) McClatchy vs. Pleasant Valley at 6:30 p.m.

Reactions: basketba11
Here's the website link below in the Davis Enterprise newspaper on last night's results and tonight's games.
http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/lady-devils-sink-shasta-to-open-up-speck-tournament/

(SacBee ranks in parenthesis)

(5) West Campus beat Lincoln of Stockton 69-39 -- did Lincoln of Stockton lose a lot of players from last season? West Campus is really good and should be ranked higher than Oak Ridge in SacBee rankings, but Lincoln was really strong last season.

(11) Davis beat Shasta 70-32 -- Davis is a good solid team (went 20-9 last season; lost to St. Mary's of Stockton 75-87 in 2nd round of SJS section playoffs last season). Shasta was 17-11 last season, lost to Pleasant Valley of Chico in North Section DIII Finals, and lost to St. Ignatius of SF in 2nd round of NorCals.

(1) McClatchy beat (12) Whitney 64-54 -- McClatchy up by 14 at halftime and up 8 after 3rd Q. Whitney kept it close. Whitney was 20-10 last season, and lost to Miramonte in 1st round of NorCals.

Pleasant Valley of Chico beat Nevada Union of Grass Valley, 58-47 -- Pleasant Valley was 22-7 last season, North Section DIII Champs, and lost to Campolindo 58-67 in quarterfinals of State CIF.

Tonight's games at Davis HS:
(5) West Campus vs. (11) Davis at 8 p.m.
(1) McClatchy vs. Pleasant Valley at 6:30 p.m.
West Campus and Davis should be an interesting game. The three outstanding guards (Jefferson, Nia Johnson and Gabby Rones) for West Campus can do everything-score, defend, handle, shoot, quick, strong. I am not sure if they have any kind of inside presence so they like to play uptempo and pressure the heck out of the ball. But Davis is built very similar. Their three guards (Forrester, Oliva, and Agnew) can really play and have some swag to their games. I'm curious how they handle the pressure from West Campus, hopefully should be good game.

West Campus defeated McClatchy in the championship game 61-49.
Wow, pretty big upset. Like I said, there is going to be changes in the Sac Bee rankings already. Folsom moving to #1. West Campus will move up to 2 or 3. Jefferson, Rones and Johnson must have had big games.

Wow, pretty big upset. Like I said, there is going to be changes in the Sac Bee rankings already. Folsom moving to #1. West Campus will move up to 2 or 3. Jefferson, Rones and Johnson must have had big games.
I would call it a mini upset. West Campus is better than most people think. They lost to McClatchy in a close game last season in this tournament so West Campus got revenge. West Campus outscored McClatchy in all four quarters. Impressive.

I wouldn't call it an upset at all. West Campus is really good, and Open-bound.

I wouldn't call it an upset at all. West Campus is really good, and Open-bound.
There is a little Filipino guard on West Campus named Gabby Rones. Does anyone know about this girl? Wow, this girl can play. Only a sophomore- plays fearless, understands the game, great ball handler, shooter, passer, defender. In their state title game last year, not sure they would have won without her play. Doesn't get the accolades or recognition like Jefferson, Johnson sisters, Namiko Adams last year. No disrespect to Maile Williams, but this might be the best 2020 guard in the area. Looks like she is averaging over 20 points per game this year, was MVP of Dorothy Speck tournament-where did this girl come from? Is she on anyone's radar? Needs to be.

Reactions: kbrizzzle
Yes, people in Sac basketball circles have known about Gabby for years. Awesome kid, great player and is very low key. At times during West Campus' playoff run she carried the team offensively.

She played for Cal Sparks National EYBL 15u this past summer and played well. Easily one of the best guards in Sacramento, regardless of class and definitely one of the top 2020s.

Yes, people in Sac basketball circles have known about Gabby for years. Awesome kid, great player and is very low key. At times during West Campus' playoff run she carried the team offensively.

She played for Cal Sparks National EYBL 15u this past summer and played well. Easily one of the best guards in Sacramento, regardless of class and definitely one of the top 2020s.
Thanks, I will be following this one.

There is a little Filipino guard on West Campus named Gabby Rones. Does anyone know about this girl? Wow, this girl can play. Only a sophomore- plays fearless, understands the game, great ball handler, shooter, passer, defender. In their state title game last year, not sure they would have won without her play. Doesn't get the accolades or recognition like Jefferson, Johnson sisters, Namiko Adams last year. No disrespect to Maile Williams, but this might be the best 2020 guard in the area. Looks like she is averaging over 20 points per game this year, was MVP of Dorothy Speck tournament-where did this girl come from? Is she on anyone's radar? Needs to be.
No doubt Gabby is a stand up kid and can play the game. Comparing her to Malie on the court is not close. Malie is far better and always has been.

Reactions: allprepmedia99
Whatever you say, but those who watch and have seen both know. I'll leave it at that.

No doubt Gabby is a stand up kid and can play the game. Comparing her to Malie on the court is not close. Malie is far better and always has been.
Really? Are you serious? This is getting ridiculous. Why would you even say that? Until Maile starts putting up some numbers and maybe wins some championships or gets some MVP awards, then you can maybe compare her with some of the other top players. We know Maile has some talent, but the results need to be seen, and not just talked about by you and allprepmedia99.

Reactions: CoachDViks
In our latest rankings, here is how we rank the Sacramento area guards (ranks are for all of NorCal)

7. Jordan Goodwin Antelope
9. Gabby Rones West Campus
10. Maile Williams Elk Grove

Angel Jordan Antelope 2020 hit four deep 3s against EG and in my opinion is a better player then Mailie. I don't think Mailie scored, but one bucket the entire game. No one knows why Mailie was a no show against CB. Dad is putting to much on this kid.

Last edited:
Really? Are you serious? This is getting ridiculous. Why would you even say that? Until Maile starts putting up some numbers and maybe wins some championships or gets some MVP awards, then you can maybe compare her with some of the other top players. We know Maile has some talent, but the results need to be seen, and not just talked about by you and allprepmedia99.
It’s clear and concise you keep searching,calls,emails,etc. who’s better than the Maile Williams kid. It’s pathetic people on this blog like yourself and there is great people on this blog that has intel on players. Do your research my friend instead of praying on this child’s downfall. Look saying Rones is a better player is quite a STRETCH my friend. However both are great players. Maybe this might put your mind as ease

http://foxsports1340am.com/maile-williams-aiming-high-towards-dreams/

I dont see how basketba11 was "praying on this child's downfall"... never got that from anyone's posts in fact..

And why would that article put anyone's mind at ease? It talks very little about basketball. It speaks to her character, which seems good, but proves nothing on the court.

I agree with Clay Maile is a good kid and beating a kid up is not right. To much unnecessary pressure placed on a kid by adults that don't really matter is just wrong. It's tough enough being a teenager as it is.

It’s clear and concise you keep searching,calls,emails,etc. who’s better than the Maile Williams kid. It’s pathetic people on this blog like yourself and there is great people on this blog that has intel on players. Do your research my friend instead of praying on this child’s downfall. Look saying Rones is a better player is quite a STRETCH my friend. However both are great players. Maybe this might put your mind as ease

http://foxsports1340am.com/maile-williams-aiming-high-towards-dreams/
I am definitely not the one praying on Maile's downfall and if you have read any of my posts, I have never once said anything bad about her or her game. I think she has great potential and I actually hope she has great success. I definitely want to see her succeed and perform up to the level that you keep saying she is. My point has just always been that she hasn't shown everyone that level yet. I think it was very smart of her dad to transfer her to a good program with a good coach at Elk Grove HS, and think she can get to that level there and make a name for herself. Cant wait to see it.

I am definitely not the one praying on Maile's downfall and if you have read any of my posts, I have never once said anything bad about her or her game. I think she has great potential and I actually hope she has great success. I definitely want to see her succeed and perform up to the level that you keep saying she is. My point has just always been that she hasn't shown everyone that level yet. I think it was very smart of her dad to transfer her to a good program with a good coach at Elk Grove HS, and think she can get to that level there and make a name for herself. Cant wait to see it.
Please! College offers say otherwise fella. I'm sure you know more than college coaches. Next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT