ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro and Granite Bay at Del Oro

ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2006
After Granite Bay's one dimensional attack from one week ago, is Del Oro more a favorite in this than what any one would have expected in August?

I must say they have a really good team, GB does, they got size and some speed, but I was surprised they didn't make good use of their towering WR against Vaca, that kid was so tall I was impressed that they didn't use him against the shorter Vacaville CBs and Safety.

There was a drive that all GB did was pass the ball and Vaca just could not stop their passing until Vacaville Timothy Jackson Intercepted a bad throw and returned it 92 yards, got to say the GB QB isn't that accurate as he threw plenty of bad passes and two Interceptions

Def the game of the week. SFL is 18-2 preseason with only 2 losses to powers Clovis West and Timpview -Utah. Best league in Norcal. I have DO a slight favorite. 28-24 type game I see.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
But I liked what I saw from GB they are definetly better than last season, IMO they are up there with Oak Ridge

I wasn't too impressed with Oak Ridge but I was a bit more impressed with the improvement of Granite Bay as Vacaville beat them handily last season and to be honest Vacaville is better than last year and for Granite Bay to stay close all game with a better Vacaville team, given last years blowout loss to Vaca, that's just an indication of the big improvement GB has made this season.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
But I liked what I saw from GB they are definetly better than last season, IMO they are up there with Oak Ridge

I like their defense but thought they'd be better throwing the ball this year than they have shown so far. Instead, they seem to be enamored with running, including the QB. I think that kills you against a good team. You can't be one dimensional from an offensive standpoint. But perhas they are saving some looks for Del Oro...who they really hate with every fibre of their being.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
I wasn't too impressed with Oak Ridge but I was a bit more impressed with the improvement of Granite Bay as Vacaville beat them handily last season and to be honest Vacaville is better than last year and for Granite Bay to stay close all game with a better Vacaville team, given last years blowout loss to Vaca, that's just an indication of the big improvement GB has made this season.

Well, coming in, I would have doubted Oak Ridge's defense would be as good as Granite Bay. I think that Oak Ridge may have a better defense than I gave them credit for. That should be an interesting game when it comes. Oak Ridge's win over Reed is very impressive.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Well, coming in, I would have doubted Oak Ridge's defense would be as good as Granite Bay. I think that Oak Ridge may have a better defense than I gave them credit for. That should be an interesting game when it comes. Oak Ridge's win over Reed is very impressive.
TBH I think Oak Ridge defense was a bit better than GBs, there was a streak in they Vaca-OR game that both teams stopped each other and forced punts for a good 6 possessions in a row it was some good defensive display by both teams.

TBH I think Oak Ridge defense was a bit better than GBs, there was a streak in they Vaca-OR game that both teams stopped each other and forced punts for a good 6 possessions in a row it was some good defensive display by both teams.

Well, you are probably talking run defense. I think GB will be particularly good versus the pass.

SFL coaches know each other well. While DO cannot figure out Folsom, they have had success defending the fly and GB. I expect this game to be a defensive battle. Not a fan of the DO musical QB. Name a starter and go with it. Auburn journal reporter talked more about the back up QB that played less than a quarter then he did about the starter. This type of distraction and system does not help either kid develop chemistry. I take GB in this one 24-17 unless DO establishes run game. The line and backs are well coached but the last two weeks are not a good gauge of where the DO run game stands. This will be a good test for both teams.

Last edited:
I see this as a defensive game that may come down to who makes the least mistakes. DO has shown that they can run(esp. with first string line) and pass. DO averaging 165yards/game rushing and 116yards/game passing. Can't find stats on GB but based on reports I think DO may have the more balanced offensive attack. If DO gets behind and needs to play catch up they can put the Jr. QB in who can throw long. GB put up 21pts against a good Vacaville defense so they can get it done on O even though reports on GB O has not been prolific this year.

Defensively DO has shown this year they can set some pretty firm edges something you need to defend the fly. If DO can contain GB rush and force them to pass this could go in DO's favor.

This is a rivalry game so expect some emotion and adrenaline. I miss the additional entertainment value that Cooper brought with his antics. Come early for this one as will be packed.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
Defensively DO has shown this year they can set some pretty firm edges something you need to defend the fly. If DO can contain GB rush and force them to pass this could go in DO's favor.

Not so sure GB is running a pure fly any longer. They seem to be doing move a jet sweep and a little more QB in the read option. Go back to the film of Caraway to get an idea of what they may run from a passing standpoint.

Not so sure GB is running a pure fly any longer. They seem to be doing move a jet sweep and a little more QB in the read option. Go back to the film of Caraway to get an idea of what they may run from a passing standpoint.
Whether it is a Jet sweep to wide out or Fly sweep to the RB I think DO is disciplined enough on D to minimize big gains. If GB QB has some speed and they catch DO D slanting and QB keeps the ball on a sweep this could be tough to defend for DO as DO D does not have abundance of speed to reverse pursuit.

Whether it is a Jet sweep to wide out or Fly sweep to the RB I think DO is disciplined enough on D to minimize big gains. If GB QB has some speed and they catch DO D slanting and QB keeps the ball on a sweep this could be tough to defend for DO as DO D does not have abundance of speed to reverse pursuit.

He has decent speed. Watch for it.

... Not a fan of the DO musical QB. Name a starter and go with it...
Agree with this. I prefer to see the starter get the majority of the reps and reps through 3qtrs to build experience, chemistry and timing then have backup come in and clean up. Not often DO has two good QB's to goto though.

Decoydan, your issue with the senior QB is obvious! I read both Auburn Journal articles, the coverage for both QB'S was equal as it only mentioned stats, nothing more. I give coach Walter's big props for playing both QB'S, something CT maybe should have done in those 30-40 pt blowout wins last year. Maybe the senior would be more polished to your liking? Remember, the junior hasn't played a game in almost 2 years, he just isn't ready due to his decision making or, lack thereof. Starting to think you're the junior's dad!!!!!

DO's DC knows GB offense like the back of his hand. Even if GB has a few new wrinkles to their offense he will be ready for it. I think there is enough speed on the edges to manage a fairly speedy QB but we will see on Friday night.

I think this one comes down to turnovers and emotions. The team who turns it over least will likely come out on top.

DO has not been that impressive on offense this year, with some minor flashes, but for the most part, are still able to run the ball and control the clock well enough. With the new sets and plays on offense, this will give DO a slight advantage just because it will be the first time GB has seen the Walters era offense.

I think it will be 23-21 type game with DO winning at home but I could see it going the other just as easy.

...With the new sets and plays on offense, this will give DO a slight advantage just because it will be the first time GB has seen the Walters era offense...
Good point, had not thought about that. I do enjoy some of the new plays/sets Walters brings.

My biggest concern for DO is how well will OL do with GB front 4 given injuries to OL.

Pontiac,
I actually like the senior. If you recall, I compared him to Bobby Heatherington who took DO to state. I like ball control football, make smart choices and gobble up the clock. I think the senior executes that role very well. The day DO tries to become Folsom I think they will struggle as they just do not have that type of athlete other than #6 the kid who took the kickoff back last week. I see some mistakes being made that I think would be resolved if one QB was at the helm. Once the weather starts to change, last thing I would want is two QB's splitting time. For some reason you think I have it out for the senior QB ever since I said he lacks arm strength and speed. I do not think that was an untruthful statement. I also complimented his ability to lead and make good decisions. I also stated that the Timpview loss was in no way his fault as many posters were jumping on the Jr. QB train. If the senior is the choice then I support that move 100%. Do you disagree that the senior would perform better if he was not on the hook in fear of getting yanked?

I like senior IF DO can run the ball.......but..... if they run into a defense that is able to limit their running game, I prefer the junior based off of what I've seen.

I get your point Dan, however, every kid should be in fear of getting pulled if they're not performing! No par at the high school level. I still don't see it as splitting time, non-league game is the perfect time to get the Jr some playing time. Interesting statistic; the junior, in his limited playing time, has been sacked 7 times, the senior? Once! That tells me something about decision making outside of all the intangibles.

You are spot on regarding the intangibles. Great DO quarterbacks have all had certain intangibles and an ability to get the job done. I see the current DO quarterbacks as no different. So often view points get lost in translation on this board. I hesitate posting at times because I do not want my intent taken the wrong way. I am an old school guy who likes smash mouth football. Even as the game has changed, many HS programs still win with this type of football. Nothing better than a DO drive using up the better part of a quarter. To me, this is how you beat the elite teams, not by getting in a shootout.

Interesting side note GB def coord is a former DO player and coach, as I was told.

I get your point Dan, however, every kid should be in fear of getting pulled if they're not performing! No par at the high school level. I still don't see it as splitting time, non-league game is the perfect time to get the Jr some playing time.

If you never play the backup, it's hard to keep him fresh and a viable option to replace the starter if there is poor performance. That threat just becomes unrealistic because you decided to quit developing the backup.

Reactions: pontiacjoe
Good points! Did not know that about GB's DC, knew their LB coach came from Rocklin and is probably the best in the area!!!!!!

If you never play the backup, it's hard to keep him fresh and a viable option to replace the starter if there is poor performance. That threat just becomes unrealistic because you decided to quit developing the backup.
Not so fast my friend. I think a backup QB can be a fresh and viable option if given opportunities against the one's in practice and scrub time in games. I don't agree with the two QB system for obvious reasons. It slows down the development of the one that should be starting and most likely kills his morale when he's pulled. If the Senior is good enough to start the game he's good enough to finish it. If not go with the underclassmen and stick with it. Acalanes coach Burnsed the QB guru of NorCal started a junior last year and as a senior the kid looks like a D1 starter. I don't think Burnsed would ever do that to his kids but to each his own. And remember this, there's always a reason why one QB should start over the other. May it be playbook smarts, athleticism, arm strength or the other is needed in another position of value (WR) to make the offense more potent.

Scrub time in games is almost useless.
In my honest opinion, that all depends on the coaches developmental plan for his backup QB. But I agree with you that in most cases coaches don't utilize scrub time to adequately develop their backup QB. I know of coaches that do develop their backup QB during scrub time and it's payed off for them. So I respectfully disagree with you that scrub time is mostly useless.

In my honest opinion, that all depends on the coaches developmental plan for his backup QB. But I agree with you that in most cases coaches don't utilize scrub time to adequately develop their backup QB. I know of coaches that do develop their backup QB during scrub time and it's payed off for them. So I respectfully disagree with you that scrub time is mostly useless.

Playing with the twos against the number one defense is useless. You have 1.2 seconds to throw at most IF you aren't forced to handoff the entire time to kill the clock. I agree it depends on the coaches but it's the rare coach that makes it meaningful.

Playing with the twos against the number one defense is useless.
You are 100% correct here. That said, scrub time doesn't necessarily mean take out all of your starting O-line. That would be defeating the purpose of developing your backup QB in my opinion. Most second string O-lineman play defense as well. That's the side of the ball you sub your one's for the two's and three's not the offensive side of the ball. I'm not going to get to far into specifics but scrub time works in developing your backup QB. Like I said before, it all depends on the developmental plan the coach has for his backup.

Gotta respect Vaca for going toe to toe with two of the teams from NorCals Top League...If Granite Bay does not improve on the pass well I will give it to Del Oro...also Oak Ridge needs to improve in their passing as well even Vaca (passing offense is not in existence)...it may be between Folsom & Del Oro...

SFL respects Vaca. This is why you see GB and OR scheduling them. DO and Vaca traded wins in recent years. No doubt Vaca would be an upper level team in SFL.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
You are 100% correct here. That said, scrub time doesn't necessarily mean take out all of your starting O-line. That would be defeating the purpose of developing your backup QB in my opinion. Most second string O-lineman play defense as well. That's the side of the ball you sub your one's for the two's and three's not the offensive side of the ball. I'm not going to get to far into specifics but scrub time works in developing your backup QB. Like I said before, it all depends on the developmental plan the coach has for his backup.

If there is such a plan at all.

If there is such a plan at all.
Yes, there is such a plan in which I've personally seen up close in practices and games. So there are coaches using such a plan. I'm still trying to understand how pulling your starter after a quarter or two is a viable plan. I don't see that as a viable development plan for either QB especially the starter but to each his own I guess.

Yes, there is such a plan in which I've personally seen up close in practices and games. So there are coaches using such a plan. I'm still trying to understand how pulling your starter after a quarter or two is a viable plan. I don't see that as a viable development plan for either QB but to each his own I guess.

Joe, what they've been doing is playing senior in the 1st quarter and jr in the second quarter, then back to senior in the 3rd quarter. Against Windsor they brought back jr after a series or so in the 3rd and then brought in the 3rd string QB.

Against MT, they rotated the same way except for senior played most of the second half. 3rd stringer didn't play at all.

My guess is they will do the same against GB but I get the feeling Senior is still preferred and will play most of the snaps against GB as long as DO can run the ball (this part is just an opinion based on observation).

Joe, what they've been doing is playing senior in the 1st quarter and jr in the second quarter, then back to senior in the 3rd quarter. Against Windsor they brought back jr after a series or so in the 3rd and then brought in the 3rd string QB.

Against MT, they rotated the same way except for senior played most of the second half. 3rd stringer didn't play at all.

My guess is they will do the same against GB but I get the feeling Senior is still preferred and will play most of the snaps against GB as long as DO can run the ball (this part is just an opinion based on observation).
Thanks for more in depth information RR. In a blowout against Windsor I can vision their rotation development plan. As bad as a match up Windsor was I believe DO's two deep OL could get the job done. I also can understand the rotation against MT since the score was 19-0 at the half. It seems to me they're still trying to figure out which QB is their starter after the loss against Timpview. It's hard for me to believe this is a practice they'll utilize in the future if they have a sure starter. But I could be wrong because I don't no much about the history of this head coach.

I could be wrong because I don't no much about the history of this head coach.

Yea, I don't either. There are several interesting things going on that may or may not factor in:

1. Senior played backup last year to Smartt, while Junior didn't play at all
2. New HC with a new offense
3. Senior can run the offense effectively and knows it better than Junior does
4. Junior has clearly been working with someone and has great footwork, holds and throws the ball like a Pro and is accurate
5. The class of Juniors the new HC has inherited don't know what it is like to lose (they've beat everyone including Folsom) since youth football and are already making an impact and should make for a formidable team next season.
6. Senior is the son of one of the best coaches on DO so he knows football and it shows.

I still think the HC will give the ball to senior during league and will ride him the rest of the year. He gets the job done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT