DO 0
GB 1

SOS:
DO 38.2
GB 36

CalPreps rating:
DO 47.3
GB 54.5

No secrets between these two teams. I would argue that DO is the most "changed" team vs the first league game between these two. Would also argue DO has improved the most over the last 3 playoff games. GB will see a different DO. GB will be dissecting film from DO's last two game and will be ready. DO improved OL should match up better this game vs first league game.

This game will be an absolute grudge match likely mostly a defensive lower scoring game. Both teams are battle tested and coming off tough games. Rivalry game will transplant the towns of Loomis and Granite Bay to Sac State.

DO kicker kicked another long FG in CC game 47yards so if this goes down to the wire I like DO's chances.

Start time for this game is now 7:45pm Saturday

Also looks like the chance for rain Saturday is decreasing.

Since both teams know each other well look for some new gadget plays from either team.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Really looking forward to Saturday nights game. I think this game is a toss up now. The DO kids were really fired up and wanting GB after the CC game so anything can happen.

I tend to agree with smashmouthrick it will likely be low scoring. Could get chippy too. Coaches will need to keep the kids on that fine edge between high performance and over the top.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Really looking forward to Saturday nights game. I think this game is a toss up now. The DO kids were really fired up and wanting GB after the CC game so anything can happen.

I tend to agree with smashmouthrick it will likely be low scoring. Could get chippy too. Coaches will need to keep the kids on that fine edge between high performance and over the top.
GB by 14

One of the aspects of this game I’m really interested in is how both teams will match up this time around. GB’s stout D has improved since last GB/DO game and DO has gone through metamorphosis on D and O ;).

From DO side with considerable roster changes, improved line play and overall team improvement, GB will see a different team.

With DO lines playing more physical and in-sync how OL match up with arguably the best DL in the SFL? Will DO QB be harassed more or less vs first game? How will DO DL match up with GB OL? With experience playing against Indy & CC speed and playing against a physical CC OL and making good adjustments to contain speed will DO DO be more effective against GB’s jet sweeps?

So many new angles to this game. Going to be fun!

Reactions: RidgeRider
One of the aspects of this game I’m really interested in is how both teams will match up this time around. GB’s stout D has improved since last GB/DO game and DO has gone through metamorphosis on D and O ;).

From DO side with considerable roster changes, improved line play and overall team improvement, GB will see a different team.

With DO lines playing more physical and in-sync how OL match up with arguably the best DL in the SFL? Will DO QB be harassed more or less vs first game? How will DO DL match up with GB OL? With experience playing against Indy & CC speed and playing against a physical CC OL and making good adjustments to contain speed will DO DO be more effective against GB’s jet sweeps?

So many new angles to this game. Going to be fun!

Rick, I think the O line's effectiveness has been improved because of the simplification of the offensive scheme that you noticed.

The kids have less to think about and the blocking schemes are nearly muscle memory because its what they've been doing for years. We should be able to run the ball better this time. Not sure about the Defensive side. Looking at the DO setup at CC and Indy, they have more speed at OLB now and D line seems to be getting more pressure but GB's O line is BIG and physical.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
Rick, I think the O line's effectiveness has been improved because of the simplification of the offensive scheme that you noticed.

The kids have less to think about and the blocking schemes are nearly muscle memory because its what they've been doing for years. We should be able to run the ball better this time. Not sure about the Defensive side. Looking at the DO setup at CC and Indy, they have more speed at OLB now and D line seems to be getting more pressure but GB's O line is BIG and physical.

Agree on all points which is why I’m really interested in how the match ups play out this time around. If DO can run the ball and sustain long drives on the ground that will be one of the single most impactful aspects that can lead to DO success. If DO can’t run then they better find a way to buy QB time and counter GB’s firm D edges else this is GB’s game.

Agree on all points which is why I’m really interested in how the match ups play out this time around. If DO can run the ball and sustain long drives on the ground that will be one of the single most impactful aspects that can lead to DO success. If DO can’t run then they better find a way to buy QB time and counter GB’s firm D edges else this is GB’s game.

Be interesting to see if Coach G keeps switching QB's as well.

24-10 GB

I just don't think this is one of DO's typical teams. Smaller and not as quick.
I know I felt Indy was going to walk past them and was wrong but really what happened in that game....0-0 mid second and Indy scoops and scores and it gets called back.....Indy gives up two cheap TD'S just before half to break open the game. IMO Indy folded the tent right then.
I didn't attend the CC game but by all accounts DO had zero offense and won by two fluke plays......Kick return and 97 pass.....I'd bet that was the longest pass of the year for them........Just not convincing enough for me.....
GB on the other hand won head to head, played common opponents to closer scores and played in a tougher bracket......but thats why they play the games...

24-10 GB

I just don't think this is one of DO's typical teams. Smaller and not as quick.
I know I felt Indy was going to walk past them and was wrong but really what happened in that game....0-0 mid second and Indy scoops and scores and it gets called back.....Indy gives up two cheap TD'S just before half to break open the game. IMO Indy folded the tent right then.
I didn't attend the CC game but by all accounts DO had zero offense and won by two fluke plays......Kick return and 97 pass.....I'd bet that was the longest pass of the year for them........Just not convincing enough for me.....
GB on the other hand won head to head, played common opponents to closer scores and played in a tougher bracket......but thats why they play the games...

Key to DO winning last two games was not the big plays as much as it was they made the defensive adjustments and took the key players out of the game. By mid 3rd quarter DO shut down CC’s Booker. DO also was moving the ball well in the second half on the ground and in the air. Also point I’ve been making here is GB will see a much changed and improved DO team. Not sure if DO today played SFL schedule angain would result in more W’s but they would be more competitive.

It is a rivalry game and anything can happen...

Last edited:
Be interesting to see if Coach G keeps switching QB's as well.
That is an interesting question. While I think the Jr is the better QB he can get rattled under pressure and GB will put pressure. Will probably start Jr and switch if he gets happy feet but I hope he sticks with Jr.

That is an interesting question. While I think the Jr is the better QB he can get rattled under pressure and GB will put pressure. Will probably start Jr and switch if he gets happy feet but I hope he sticks with Jr.

I'm thinking about the switch they did at CC, when they brought in the other jr., #18, in the second half and started using #13 in mostly passing situations. This gave the OC more options and more looks to keep the now tiring defense of Central Catholic off guard and constantly adjusting.

I'm thinking about the switch they did at CC, when they brought in the other jr., #18, in the second half and started using #13 in mostly passing situations. This gave the OC more options and more looks to keep the now tiring defense of Central Catholic off guard and constantly adjusting.

Ah gotcha. Yes I was impressed with #18’s running ability. Put #18 in the backfield with Jr QB and wildcat to #18;)

Ah gotcha. Yes I was impressed with #18’s running ability. Put #18 in the backfield with Jr QB and wildcat to #18;)

Exactly. He gave them a zone read option possibility and the RPO as well. Different looks to keep them guessing. DO did not really have much of that last time, just a lot of spread with #12 and #13 battling for the starting QB position.

Different team, as you say.

I'm gonna go 24-21 GB.

It's hard to go against DO when they seemingly have found a switch and flipped it, but I still have this strange feeling it's been a bit of fools gold. But the Grizzlies lack of a dynamic offense makes me believe it'll be a close game. If DO was facing Folsom or St. Mary's, I'd give'em no chance. But they've got a chance tomorrow night. However, I still like GB by a FG.

...I still have this strange feeling it's been a bit of fools gold...

Seems to be the sentiment of a number of folks. I was on the fence before the CC game but beating CC was no fluke and convinced me of a positive upward trajectory for DO. While CC was no slouch I feel GB is more battle tested than CC and DO will have to play 4 full quarters of smart smashmouth football to win which I believe the are capable of.

GB may be the more logical choice since they have been consistently good all year but I’m rolling with DO on this one.

Reactions: ThunderRam
DO offense is much improved. However, I am not sold that DO defense has improved. Other than Hurst locking down receivers the secondary was horrible in CC game. CC receivers were wide open all night long. QB flat out missed on multiple wide open targets. DO defense has to play way better to win this game.

V good posts in this thread. Really liked Joe D's article with Coach Cavaliere's breakdowns. I have D.O. winning a championship battle by a FG, 17-14. Quick breakdown:

Head to head: Granite Bay
Running game: Granite Bay
Passing game: Del Oro
Offensive Line: A push
Defensive Line: Granite Bay
Linebacker/Secondary: A push (D.O. Safeties Guzman & Pericin were not starters when D.O. & G.B. played 9/22, playing much better football now than in Sept.; LBs Birch, Westlake and Rogers are playing their best ball. Granite Bay has played very good defense all season)
Quarterback: Del Oro (the 2 Jr's are playing well, I like our options better with #18 Pericin)
Receivers: Del Oro (Jr's Smart and Guzman are playing their best ball of the season)
Special Teams: Del Oro (Guzman, Hurst, and kicker Whalley are playing with confidence)
Health: Del Oro starters are healthy, Granite Bay is a bit banged up.

Rivalry game, it will boil down to what it usually does, turnovers, coaching adjustments, and the will to win. Both games should be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: smashmouthrick
FWIW, Sac State stadium policies:

Stadium Policies
In order to accommodate the desires of fans at Hornet Stadium while recognizing the need to maintain the safety and comfort of all guests, Sacramento State has formulated the following policies regarding items that can be brought into Hornet Stadium. All items are subject to search by stadium personnel. Fans who violate these policies may be asked to leave the stadium.

• One 20 oz. sealed clear plastic non-flavored water bottle will be permitted in the stadium. Only one bottle will be permitted per ticketed fan.
  • No metal, aluminum or glass containers for food or beverages will be permitted. Thermos containers or those similar in style will not be permitted.
  • Sealed, single-serving juice boxes and baby formula/baby food are permitted.
  • No backpacks, large bags or coolers will be permitted in the stadium.
  • No umbrellas
  • Stadium cushions and blankets may be brought into the stadium as long as they do not exceed the maximum size of 16”t X 16”w X 9”d
  • Under NCAA and Sacramento State policies, there is no photography or videography of the game allowed with the exception of accredited media personnel and team officials. Sacramento State Athletics reserves the right to limit or confiscate the usage of professional cameras in the stands.
Artificial Noisemakers
Spectators shall not be allowed to have musical instruments or amplified artificial noisemakers (e.g. vuvuzelas, duck calls) in the game facility.

Trying to get out of work and if I can this is defiantly on the very short list of games to go to, 7:45 start could help. I like DO by 10.

Score is not indicative of GB’s domination. Should be 21-0. DO making too many mistakes, can not run and no time to throw. Not good recipe for DO. Will see if they can clean things up and make some adjustments. GB is a rock!

Del Oro 20 yards total offense damn this sucks but it is only 9-0!! Coach Birch defense!!!!

Like I have been saying, not a DO team like in the past.
Plus with the change in transfer rules in Placer Unified I believe the days of DO domination are changing....

I honestly think GB is the 2nd best team in the SJS especially at this point in the season. I was at the OR game and even though they lost in OT I thought they were better. There D is incredible. You just don't see this in HS.

Del Oro gets shut out by their arch rival in the section title game. I am surprised. Just got whipped by GB's physicality, speed and discipline.

I honestly think GB is the 2nd best team in the SJS especially at this point in the season. I was at the OR game and even though they lost in OT I thought they were better. There D is incredible. You just don't see this in HS.

I concur. Not offensively though. Overall. GB needs a new twist on offense. They won't always have such a great defense to rely on. Folsom is way out in front on both sides of the ball.

Hate to repeat and sound like a broken record but if GB had just an average HS offense they would be an elite team this year. I've never seen the sort of athletes, size, and speed on D around here.

Is there a team in NorCal playing better than GB? Maybe Folsom? Wow. This team continues to amaze me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT