ADVERTISEMENT

Did Amaya Oliver transfer?

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Don't want to start any rumors. But, can anyone confirm whether or not Amaya Oliver is still with St. Mary's-Stockton or did she transfer to Sacramento HS?

I no longer see her on the St. Mary's-Stockton roster per MaxPreps for this upcoming 2017-2018 season.

Finding information on ESPN that she is listed as a player for the Sacramento Dragons. Listed as one of the 100 player watch list for 2020 HoopGurlz Basketball Prospects

I heard she hurt her knee ... but that's about all I know.

Amaya tore her acl this summer. Her Dad got a job for the time being way up north and could not transport her to St. Mary's . She should be back at semester or maybe at the end of the year. In any case most likely won't be back playing this year.

Anyone know a timetable when she could come back? Or could she sit the whole year to make sure the knee is right?

Anyone know a timetable when she could come back? Or could she sit the whole year to make sure the knee is right?
Wow! Another St Marys player tearing an ACL? It appears that the Rams have had quite a few players with knee injuries in the past couple of years. Do they have any type of weight training program to help with any form of prevention?

Wow! Another St Marys player tearing an ACL? It appears that the Rams have had quite a few players with knee injuries in the past couple of years. Do they have any type of weight training program to help with any form of prevention?
All those injuries happened during summer AAU season and every one of those players was working with a personal trainer.

All those injuries happened during summer AAU season and every one of those players was working with a personal trainer.

Perhaps playing basketball practically year round increases the risk of getting injured? There used to be a little time off. But now there are summer, winter, spring, and fall tournaments. And kids are buying into playing as often as possible. Even traveling the nation to better their chances at getting a scholarship offer. I would think a little less demand on the knees, joints, and bones would possibly reduce the injury risk. But of course a child could get injured in practice even if they only play 4 months out of the year. Injuries suck !

I wish Amaya ( and all others injured) a fast and full recovery.

Reactions: observer22
The advantages to playing two sports in high school far outweigh the disadvantages. Playing volleyball in the fall, for example, develops skills appropriate to basketball while taking pressure off the knees. Playing softball or swimming in the spring is also good for the body, but since the viewing periods are in the spring and summer taking time off then makes less sense.

It's only because of our scholarship system that families feel forced to have girls play year-round prior to age 16 -- the studies that have been done suggest that crosstraining is much better for athletic development and health up to that point.

And in basketball especially, there are more D1 scholarships than D1 players, so it's not as if a talented girl is going to get left out. It's more likely an injury will seriously impact her college career than not playing basketball year-round.

Paytc

Young ladies train harder today because of the competition. But that's not the whole problem why they are blowing out their knees . It's the lack of knowledge how to train young ladies compared to young boys. Young ladies are built different and need some different training techniques. Coaches and train need to study kinesiology so all these young ladies can train and be safer. This not saying blowned knees wont happen but it will cut down the percentage!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
The advantages to playing two sports in high school far outweigh the disadvantages. Playing volleyball in the fall, for example, develops skills appropriate to basketball while taking pressure off the knees. Playing softball or swimming in the spring is also good for the body, but since the viewing periods are in the spring and summer taking time off then makes less sense.

It's only because of our scholarship system that families feel forced to have girls play year-round prior to age 16 -- the studies that have been done suggest that crosstraining is much better for athletic development and health up to that point.

And in basketball especially, there are more D1 scholarships than D1 players, so it's not as if a talented girl is going to get left out. It's more likely an injury will seriously impact her college career than not playing basketball year-round.

I am not sure it's the prospect of future scholarships that propels 4th and 5th graders into year round basketball. I see it as more of a progression.

A young player joins a club team. She and her parents like the coach and other players. They do pretty well. The "season" is coming to an end but everyone likes what is going on so they extend it a bit. The players get noticed by the other clubs.

The coach then realizes that if he ends the season, his players will get scarfed up by other coaches. He notices that even when he gives his players a weekend off, they get asked to be "guest" players for other teams in other tournaments.

The really good players start getting heavily recruited by other clubs. Offered free tournaments, training, gear. Now the parents are really eating it up. Basking in their daughter's glory has become their chief form of entertainment.

And so the player winds up playing on 2-3 teams, with multiple games every weekend all year round. Injuries happen. Partly overuse. Partly fatigue. Partly just more games equaling more chances to get hurt.

For a small percentage of these kids, the scholarship potential also factors in. But I would guess more than 90% of kids on the treadmill know very well they will never play college ball.

Excellent points ...

And parents will say "It's not us, it's her -- she wants to play basketball (or soccer or whatever) all the time."

Well, kids probably want ice cream sundaes for breakfast every day, but that doesn't happen -- sign them up for something else.

I know I have posed this exact question before and I believe sierra smith's dad (another torn acl) said that sms does nothing in the way of preventative strength training for knee injuries. Regardless if you are training half the year or year-round, preventative training has to be done.

As far as overuse, I am definitely in favor of playing multiple sports, at least while kids are younger and into the early years of high school. And that doesn't just pertain to overuse injuries, but burnout as well. I see so many kids that play year round, multiple teams, whatever it may be, when they are younger.. then by the time they get to high school, competition and season length increase, and they decide its not worth playing anymore (especially if they dont want to pursue playing in college). Which brings up the other point that sports should not only be played for the proposition of getting a scholarship. Play sports (as many as you like) and enjoy them for what they are, work hard, and you may be able to enjoy the sport for another 4 years.

Reactions: Paytc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sierra playing for Salesian when she tore her acl? Parents need to monitor how much their daughter is playing. Playing all year round is a recipe for disaster. SMS had one knee injury in 10 years, Gemelos, and lately has had some bad luck.

I know I have posed this exact question before and I believe sierra smith's dad (another torn acl) said that sms does nothing in the way of preventative strength training for knee injuries. Regardless if you are training half the year or year-round, preventative training has to be done.

As far as overuse, I am definitely in favor of playing multiple sports, at least while kids are younger and into the early years of high school. And that doesn't just pertain to overuse injuries, but burnout as well. I see so many kids that play year round, multiple teams, whatever it may be, when they are younger.. then by the time they get to high school, competition and season length increase, and they decide its not worth playing anymore (especially if they dont want to pursue playing in college). Which brings up the other point that sports should not only be played for the proposition of getting a scholarship. Play sports (as many as you like) and enjoy them for what they are, work hard, and you may be able to enjoy the sport for another 4 years.

Very well stated !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sierra playing for Salesian when she tore her acl? Parents need to monitor how much their daughter is playing. Playing all year round is a recipe for disaster. SMS had one knee injury in 10 years, Gemelos, and lately has had some bad luck.
I get that they may have happened during the summer months.. but you spend all school year with your kids, so they have access to the weight room 9 months of the year on a conservative guess.. most, but not all, do at least something over summer also. So if you are strengthening your knees and surrounding muscles all year, dont you think that would reduce risk even over the summer?? Again, I am not trying to speak for her father, but I believe that is what he stated, SMS does little to no strength training in regards to preventing knee injuries. So in my mind, happening over the summer is still happening to their kids, which means 1 in the last 10 years is actually more like 3 (to my knowledge) in the last 15 months or so. Murray, Accosta (not acl but I heard she's still not 100%), and now Oliver. Time to take a hint and do something different to protect your kids. Obviously you can't prevent them all, but doing all you could to reduce that risk, even by a fraction, should be a given.

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO BLAME THE COACHES OR TRAINERS???? THE BIGGEST BLAME SHOULD GO TO THE PARENTS !!! WHY IS THAT YOUR GOING TO ASK?? Players that workout need to stretch before and after workout then a 15 to 25 minutes ice bath. Second send your kids to a trainer that knows what he or she knows what they are doing. Last of all, players need at least one month rest after High School Season. We all know good players on good teams play in to march. If your kids plays on a good enough AAU will understand if they are a real coach and believe in health comes first.

Reactions: rabbit5 and ClayK
I get that elite players have a choice of teams/ coaches to play for, schools to go to, etc... but what about kids that just play for their local public school. This is not an issue of only elite players, they just happen to be the kids that we hear about. Most parents dont know up from down in regards to their kids sport.. let alone technical training techniques and sport specific strength training. Many parents get "sold" by coaches who don't know x's and o's, what makes off court training any different?

and just FYI, you shouldn't ice bath every night...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT