ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs. Matre Dei

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
With this weekend’s Open championship fast approaching, one question really stands out as an avid NCS fan/follower.

What is the real status of De La Salle football? With the serious off the field problems over the past year and with them about to be completely exposed in the CIF Open for the second year in a row, one has to seriously consider what their future status is for the first time in 30 years.

Especially after Pittsburg showed their offense is not invisinsible. Defense too for that matter.

With this weekend’s Open championship fast approaching, one question really stands out as an avid NCS fan/follower.

What is the real status of De La Salle football? With the serious off the field problems over the past year and with them about to be completely exposed in the CIF Open for the second year in a row, one has to seriously consider what their future status is for the first time in 30 years.

Especially after Pittsburg showed their offense is not invisinsible. Defense too for that matter.
Doesn’t look like one of the more talented DLS teams that I’ve seen over the years.Those who claim that DLS recruits a star studded roster haven’t seen this team. They are well coached, well disciplined athletes. Just those two factors are going to win you a lot of games.(Along with superior conditioning). But I’ve been to 3 games this year, and I haven’t seen anyone who just jumps off the page as outstanding. But they have some very good players, they play together, for example, as a defensive unit.Everyone seems to know their assignment, and they execute very well.TEAM, that’s what they are.Admire them a great deal.

Reactions: feedback1
Doesn’t look like one of the more talented DLS teams that I’ve seen over the years.Those who claim that DLS recruits a star studded roster haven’t seen this team. They are well coached, well disciplined athletes. Just those two factors are going to win you a lot of games.(Along with superior conditioning). But I’ve been to 3 games this year, and I haven’t seen anyone who just jumps off the page as outstanding. But they have some very good players, they play together, for example, as a defensive unit.Everyone seems to know their assignment, and they execute very well.TEAM, that’s what they are.Admire them a great deal.
DLS is still a power house people, Mater Dei looks like a god darn college team and happen to be the #1 Team in the Country for a reason.

IS this thread for real?

Off season problems? You mean the two players who were immediately kicked off the team once the accusations were brought up? Or the one who wasn't even on the Freshmen team when the accusation came out?

DLS played without their best RB and on 2 days notice of playing without him. They play with a full week prep and that score is 3-4 td's more.

dls recruits?

How could free tuition to a $15,000+ dollar a year school for the sole purpose of playing football be seen as recruiting tool? the nerve....

Unless you went there, shut your mouth. It is not free. They do NOT offer 100% free tuition. The students who get discounted tuition but they work before school at the Library or after school before practices in the Hoffman Center (Lunch Cafeteria) I graduated there and I have seen this first hand. Stop all this fake news.

Unless you went there, shut your mouth. It is not free. They do NOT offer 100% free tuition. The students who get discounted tuition but they work before school at the Library or after school before practices in the Hoffman Center (Lunch Cafeteria) I graduated there and I have seen this first hand. Stop all this fake news.
I think this response is jaded just a little bit. The “nothing in life is free” argument is weak. So is the “they were kicked of the team as soon as they were caught” argument. Especially after Ladacour’s horrible argument that the player was a random ineligible player.

Bottom line is they were embarrassed by Bosco last year and will be embarrassed by Matre Dei this year. So I’m just wondering if that, along with the repetitive criminal activity happening over the last year, if they will see a continued drop in talent. I know if this happened at any other school, someone would’ve been fired by now. Great football coaches? Without a doubt. But that doesn’t over shadow the obvious.

"and with them about to be completely exposed in the CIF Open "

Playing and losing to two Southern Cal all star teams who happen to be the elite of the elite hardly constitutes being "completely exposed".
Not after you have been Northern California’s all star team for the past 20+ years and have won all but two of the past State championships. No one made that argument in 2014 and 2015 about those stacked DLS teams.

Actually, you are right. They will be completely exposed. They will be exposed as a team that, unlike Bosco and Mater Dei, don't openly take all star transfers from all around the region.

Reactions: sarpar
I sense a disturbance in the DLS force. Lot's of talk about All-Star teams in So Cal. Translation: We (DLS) think we are gonna get spanked again in the title game and we need to process this in a way that makes us feel like we won a moral victory.

Reactions: Paloma and ararar
I sense a disturbance in the DLS force. Lot's of talk about All-Star teams in So Cal. Translation: We (DLS) think we are gonna get spanked again in the title game and we need to process this in a way that makes us feel like we won a moral victory.
Mater Dei is #1 in the nation for many reasons. I'm sure they are well coached but the bottom line is they have 4-5 times as many D1 Athletes as De La Salle.You could probably comprise the best 22 Players in Nor Cal and Mater Dei could still win. Facts are Facts.

Mater Dei is #1 in the nation for many reasons. I'm sure they are well coached but the bottom line is they have 4-5 times as many D1 Athletes as De La Salle.You could probably comprise the best 22 Players in Nor Cal and Mater Dei could still win. Facts are Facts.

Not just D1 athletes but national recruits

Reactions: JCBUST
dls recruits?

How could free tuition to a $15,000+ dollar a year school for the sole purpose of playing football be seen as recruiting tool? the nerve....

Please list who received free tuition

If it helps, the only free tuition DLS offers are Bishop Cumming scholarships which just began this decade. I attended a reception with a half dozen or so Bishop Cumming scholars — only one was an athlete at all, but he did play football. He also was the sole support for his widowed disabled father and younger siblings and as outstanding of young man as I’ve ever met (wound up with an FCS scholarship)

I think this response is jaded just a little bit. The “nothing in life is free” argument is weak. So is the “they were kicked of the team as soon as they were caught” argument. Especially after Ladacour’s horrible argument that the player was a random ineligible player.

Bottom line is they were embarrassed by Bosco last year and will be embarrassed by Matre Dei this year. So I’m just wondering if that, along with the repetitive criminal activity happening over the last year, if they will see a continued drop in talent. I know if this happened at any other school, someone would’ve been fired by now. Great football coaches? Without a doubt. But that doesn’t over shadow the obvious.

Just wow!

DLS got beat by a far superior team last year — no shame in that in sparyville and if there is, itmought to be spread around all of NorCal for not being able to send a better team

Holding Lad responsible for the behavior of every kid that runs thru the program is unreasonable. He and the staff have a 30+ year track record that is not only NOT embarrassing, but I’m proud to be even slightly associated with the it. DLS gets the most out of what they have because they reach more kids than most with messages like commitment, teammate, brotherhood, and love. I may sound like a Jack Nicholson parody from A Few Good Men, but it’s what I believe.

DLS isn’t nearly as good of a football team this year as MD and are likely to lose by a lot. MD just beat the #3 (still) ranked team in the country by 25. The score this week, either way, will not say one thing about The Program — it will likely only confirm MD as maybe the best hsfb team ever assembled and DLS as something a tier below their best teams

Why wouldn’t wherever you’re from be processing it in a way that says “why can’t we be better than DLS?”

Send a better team — DLS has repped NorCal in every SBG, going 7-3 in the top games. If that displeases you, maybe your team (who is that btw?) can do better

Reactions: pdt831
Actually, you are right. They will be completely exposed. They will be exposed as a team that, unlike Bosco and Mater Dei, don't openly take all star transfers from all around the region.

While I agree that socal has gone beserk on recruited up all-star teams, the likes of which haven’t been seen before outside of that sports academy in FL (IMG), DLS has its advantages. I’ve grudgingly come to accept that “it is what it is” without belavoringnthe point. MD puts their pants on one leg at a time, just like DLS, which I’m sure the other NorCal coaches tell their kids when they play.

Reactions: pdt831
Am i right in guessing that dls sends out more college players than any school in nor cal every year?

They’d be up there but DLS has never had more than 7 in any single class, doesn’t have more than 2 in any class on campus, and went 6 years (‘04-‘09) with 2 BCS kids total.

As I said, DLS has its advantages and I’m not crying foul on MD, but just to address your question further, DLS would rarely be in the top 5 CA schools on “recruits” despite winning CA 7 of past 10

Oh pity poor dls. They only have 2 players committed to Alabama, one of the top ranked dlineman on the west coast, a running back with d1 offers and more. They are really lacking in talent.

I am not saying to pity DLS, not hardly. I am also not saying anything about a moral victory. I am calling out what the OP means by saying DLS will be "completely exposed". They are going to be exposed as what? Not as good as Mater Dei this year? We all already know that. So how are they being exposed? I mentioned the transfers to address the comment about why things were not being said prior to 2015. This is because SoCal relaxed their transfer rules in 2016, the result being the super teams like Bosco and Mater Dei. It is new reality of High School football at elite levels. That is not making excuses, claiming moral victories or exposing anyone. Things are different now than they were even five years ago. The nationalization of this game, of which DLS has some responsibility for, has changed it at the highest levels. DLS is no longer at that level, but we all knew that already.

Reactions: SFLancer88
Maybe we can talk about their demise when somebody in NorCal beats them. Losing to Socals best isn't proof of their demise. The rest of NorCal should just be thankful that DLS always ends up playing Socals best while everybody else just gets good teams not the great ones.

Last edited:
This topic confirms one thing...the times they be a changing...next thing you know someone from NorCal will actually beat DLS lol

Reactions: Paloma
I think you need to stick to your specialty in girls basketball, considering you just joined this year.

While Folsom is a great program and arguably the best team in Norcal, I am actually a Del Oro fan/parent.

'Del/Oro fan/parent' That's what we're all suppose to believe. Based on all of the Folsom trolling that is prevalent on this Football forum, your comments state otherwise. Again, joined today and posting about how Folsom is the #1 team in NorCal.

Last edited:
Folks, deception alert. When it's stated the only "free tuition" offered at dLS are the Cummins variety, that is simply false or the inner circle on the hard-to-crack Spartanhood board are simply bellowing out of their arses; which Shri, their admin, is faster on the censor button than Streak dealing with G61 or IP. There are alumni "funds" that are distinct in tuition assistance; i.e. fewer, much fewer, strings attached. I'm sorry the host DeLurk doesn't have the technohow to keep facts in house.....check that, not sorry... enlightened.

MD is simply leveraging the advantages even poppy agrees dLS enjoys. Gorman seemed to do a fine job doing the same thing. And please, only boundary schools have zero advantage with attracting athletes, unless you're forking over 700k in our town for a 2BR Condo. Kinda smarts when someone one-ups you at your own game. Get crackin'!

Please list who received free tuition

If it helps, the only free tuition DLS offers are Bishop Cumming scholarships which just began this decade. I attended a reception with a half dozen or so Bishop Cumming scholars — only one was an athlete at all, but he did play football. He also was the sole support for his widowed disabled father and younger siblings and as outstanding of young man as I’ve ever met (wound up with an FCS scholarship)

D J Williams!

Reactions: Paloma
Just wait till the Southern Section adopts an open division. Would our second best beat a team like Bosco or Centennial? If that was the case this year, Folsom would get taken to the woodshed.
I think Folsom can compete if not beat any team in the south outside of MD from what I've seen

Not any more.

Folsom has put more kids in D1 schools than anyone. By far. You should see their practices now! Utah, Notre Dame, Cal, Washington, UCLA, Colorado, UC Davis, Sac State, Idaho State, Cal Poly, Brown, Western Oregon, were all at PRACTICE the last week! It's nuts!

I think Folsom can compete if not beat any team in the south outside of MD from what I've seen

No Folsom bias here..... Account created yesterday.....
Everyone just report his posts and Streak will ban him once again.

Reactions: RidgeRider
best hsfb team ever assembled

Assembled, what does that mean? Hasn't DLS been "assembling" teams for years? On offense MD has one transfer, the rest of the team has been there since their collective freshmen year. On defense they have three starters, one out for the year, that transferred in and one of those came in as a sophomore. In fact, they start around 5 sophomores on defense. I get it, the "assembled" references are meant to portray the program in a negative light, but MD actually gets less transfers than many teams in the Southern Section.

Reactions: 1315 and Paloma
Folks, deception alert. When it's stated the only "free tuition" offered at dLS are the Cummins variety, that is simply false or the inner circle on the hard-to-crack Spartanhood board are simply bellowing out of their arses; which Shri, their admin, is faster on the censor button than Streak dealing with G61 or IP. There are alumni "funds" that are distinct in tuition assistance; i.e. fewer, much fewer, strings attached. I'm sorry the host DeLurk doesn't have the technohow to keep facts in house.....check that, not sorry... enlightened.

MD is simply leveraging the advantages even poppy agrees dLS enjoys. Gorman seemed to do a fine job doing the same thing. And please, only boundary schools have zero advantage with attracting athletes, unless you're forking over 700k in our town for a 2BR Condo. Kinda smarts when someone one-ups you at your own game. Get crackin'!

Nail on the head

lol this post is funny. For 30+ years DLS has been a class act with their student athletes. A few incidents in the past few years where the kids were dismissed almost immediately... Someone is just trying to troll DLS fans. DLS is a premier program nationally and always will be. They have down years and by down years I mean lose only 1-2 games and still make it to a state championship. this Paloma guy doesn't know what he is talking about. And as for Mater Dei I saw them live vs st. mary's and they are legit. but I never count DLS out of any game there is just something about what they teach there in that program that elevates all those kids levels of play. Now i have been critical of DLS recently because I believe they cant develop a quarterback to save their lives. Once DLS hires a quarterback coach I think they will be just fine.

Reactions: DLSPop1314 and remc
lol this post is funny. For 30+ years DLS has been a class act with their student athletes. A few incidents in the past few years where the kids were dismissed almost immediately... Someone is just trying to troll DLS fans. DLS is a premier program nationally and always will be. They have down years and by down years I mean lose only 1-2 games and still make it to a state championship. this Paloma guy doesn't know what he is talking about. And as for Mater Dei I saw them live vs st. mary's and they are legit. but I never count DLS out of any game there is just something about what they teach there in that program that elevates all those kids levels of play. Now i have been critical of DLS recently because I believe they cant develop a quarterback to save their lives. Once DLS hires a quarterback coach I think they will be just fine.

DLS runs the veer, they will never be about "developing" quarterbacks. Cal Poly runs the triple option and the only quarterbacks that seem to survive a season getting beat up in the Big Sky are the one's that weigh over 200 pounds and even those don't always survive the season.

@Bubba3000 ....Padilla,Guitierrez, Cecil, Lopina, Houston..... 3 of those guys went D-1... Veer or not when its 3rd and 15 it would be nice to have a QB who can throw it accurately more than 5 yards down field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT