ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs. Matre Dei

lol this post is funny. For 30+ years DLS has been a class act with their student athletes. A few incidents in the past few years where the kids were dismissed almost immediately... Someone is just trying to troll DLS fans. DLS is a premier program nationally and always will be. They have down years and by down years I mean lose only 1-2 games and still make it to a state championship. this Paloma guy doesn't know what he is talking about. And as for Mater Dei I saw them live vs st. mary's and they are legit. but I never count DLS out of any game there is just something about what they teach there in that program that elevates all those kids levels of play. Now i have been critical of DLS recently because I believe they cant develop a quarterback to save their lives. Once DLS hires a quarterback coach I think they will be just fine.

I agree. I cannot fathom what evidence Paloma is using as proof to his outlandish opening statement. However, to those homers using the lack of talent excuse for DLS - cry me a river.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1315 and Bubba3000
I agree. I cannot fathom what evidence Paloma is using as proof to his outlandish opening statement. However, to those homers using the lack of talent excuse for DLS - cry me a river.

No doubt! DLS has been kicking Nor-Cal ass the better part of 25 years, most times with superior talent. Before pointing your fingers at simply the amount of D1 talent, look at their rosters top to bottom and it's rare you will see them on the short end of the talent stick in Nor-Cal. Add to that superior coaching and tradition.

OUTLANDISH? HAHAHAHA! Come on! And regarding Leopold... dismissing players immediately after two of the same heinous crimes in one year is not a call for accountability or integrity or reward or blissful ignorance.

All my post is suggesting is I have seen a rapid drop in talent the past two years and I just watched a Pittsburg offense move the ball with a back up quarterback and their defense beat them up and hold them to three touchdowns.

Oh wait... let me guess. Pittsburg has speed?

Next you miopic DLS fans will say that they don’t use their full contact youth camp in June as a chance to pluck local players/all stars. Next you will be saying that Boss Tagaloa wasn’t put on the waiting list at application time, and that he wasn’t all of a sudden accepted when he showed up at the DLS youth full contact camp.

It is ok DLS fans. It has been an outstanding 25+ year run of being the best program in the State and Nation. You have made high school football relevant in the Bay Area. Your Bay Area All Star team has represented the Bay Area exceptionally well! We are all proud! Kudos! Every run has to come to an end.

Do me a favor though.... Replace De La Salle in this article and replace it with Clayton Valley while you read it and let us know if you still feel the same.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/...de-la-salle-football-in-wake-of-rape-arrests/

Reactions: thekingera
Dls youth contact camp? You mean the one where super studs who were denied entrance to dls show out and then magically are accepted to the school the next week? But being accepted isn't enough since they cant afford it. But then funds are magically produced to cover the tuition? You mean that camp?

Reactions: Paloma
They work if they are being offered financial assistance..... Everyone including the Folsom guy, (TheKingEra) are all haters. They work in the library, the Hoffman Center, and for teachers sorting papers. It is not exclusive for Football players either..... /thread

Reactions: remc
They work if they are being offered financial assistance..... Everyone including the Folsom guy, (TheKingEra) are all haters. They work in the library, the Hoffman Center, and for teachers sorting papers. It is not exclusive for Football players either..... /thread

laughable. Its natural to want to close your eyes to protect from the pain of the blinding light. But let me assure you, if you can endure the discomfort for just a short while the images will be rendered more clearly. That truth lies beyond the light. Let the enlightened enlighten you. Let yourself be enlightened.

Reactions: thekingera
Wow, I rarely even look at the NorCal board, interesting comments,
the one one thing that is hardly ever brought up is about DLS is
the sweet situation they have because of their unique location - they are
the ONLY catholic/private power house FB team in their
ENTIRE CIF section,that would be like say MD or Servite having the
ENTIRE Orange County area to ITSELF, do you think they would
always be a natonal title contender?

Bishop Gorman has the same deal in Nevada - why do you
think they are always so good?

..in SoCal, you have many state hi-tier FB probrams within a 25
radius of each other - who is the most competitive FB power to
DLS and how far away is it?

OUTLANDISH? HAHAHAHA! Come on! And regarding Leopold... dismissing players immediately after two of the same heinous crimes in one year is not a call for accountability or integrity or reward or blissful ignorance.

All my post is suggesting is I have seen a rapid drop in talent the past two years and I just watched a Pittsburg offense move the ball with a back up quarterback and their defense beat them up and hold them to three touchdowns.

Oh wait... let me guess. Pittsburg has speed?

Next you miopic DLS fans will say that they don’t use their full contact youth camp in June as a chance to pluck local players/all stars. Next you will be saying that Boss Tagaloa wasn’t put on the waiting list at application time, and that he wasn’t all of a sudden accepted when he showed up at the DLS youth full contact camp.

It is ok DLS fans. It has been an outstanding 25+ year run of being the best program in the State and Nation. You have made high school football relevant in the Bay Area. Your Bay Area All Star team has represented the Bay Area exceptionally well! We are all proud! Kudos! Every run has to come to an end.

Do me a favor though.... Replace De La Salle in this article and replace it with Clayton Valley while you read it and let us know if you still feel the same.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/...de-la-salle-football-in-wake-of-rape-arrests/
DLS has a great program no doubt. But the gap is closing fast in NorCal IMHO. You have a public school in the SFL that could beat them this year and possibly next. I just hope they play.

Reactions: Paloma
DLS has a great program no doubt. But the gap is closing fast in NorCal IMHO. You have a public school in the SFL that could beat them this year and possibly next. I just hope they play.
If Folsom wants to be recognized in the category of DLS, they need to do one of two things. They either need to schedule DLS or they need to schedule a top 20 National team. If DLS wont play them, there are teams in SoCal or Bishop Gorman that can be scheduled. With Folsom being as strong as they have been for past decade, why have they not done this in the past? Several teams from SJS, CCS, and NCS have done it, so think this is on Folsom to change. They dont need to sit around waiting for DLS, go make it happen with one of the other teams.

Reactions: HSFBFan4444
http://beta.latimes.com/sports/high...a-sp-prep-football-trades-20170731-story.html

After reading this as a DLS fan I say so what. They have to do that. As for DLS recruiting. Najee Harris was considered a good player. DLS had to turn him away because he didn't complete his Application. I don't understand all the haters. I think Folsom is a great team and more fun to watch then dls. But they would loose by a min of 2 tds. But we will never know. As for as Folsom having bigger fish to fry, there is no bigger fish. They had 2 chances before the "Folsom" rule and it wasn't close. GO NORCAL.

Reactions: remc
Just wait till the Southern Section adopts an open division. Would our second best beat a team like Bosco or Centennial? If that was the case this year, Folsom would get taken to the woodshed.

Imagine if they started letting loser get a second chance? I mean really to be honest DLS gets their best every year, the rest of these bowl game socal sends teams ranked around 10 and lower for socal. There is 3 or 4 teams ranked in the top 25 in the nation not playing for state titles this year. Folsom would not hang with CC or Bosco maybe MV but I doubt it

The simple version.....
DLS will likely lose big vs MD in state finals.
Folsom is a fear program, but not on the level of DLS yet. They have been dominated by DLS every year they squared off, not even close. Especially the years where you thought it would be a game.

Wow, I rarely even look at the NorCal board, interesting comments,
the one one thing that is hardly ever brought up is about DLS is
the sweet situation they have because of their unique location - they are
the ONLY catholic/private power house FB team in their
ENTIRE CIF section,that would be like say MD or Servite having the
ENTIRE Orange County area to ITSELF, do you think they would
always be a natonal title contender?

Bishop Gorman has the same deal in Nevada - why do you
think they are always so good?

..in SoCal, you have many state hi-tier FB probrams within a 25
radius of each other - who is the most competitive FB power to
DLS and how far away is it?
Orange County is much more populated than Contra Costa. For being the only Catholic High in the area they still have only 1,000 boys. Actually, the WCAL which is in San Jose, Mountain View, and San Fran is only about 45-50 miles away. They have Bellarmine, an all boys Catholic of 1,600, St. Francis, Valley Christian, Archbishop Mitty,etc. You should be asking why those schools haven’t challenged DLS for NorCal supremacy on a consistent basis. They are, for the most part, the same type of schools. In fairness to Bellarmine, they have played in a couple of state championship games, but not the Open game.

The only team Folsom couldn't hang with is MD. They could hang with and beat anyone else from the south on any given day, considering their fire power.

Imagine Folsom next year. Going to be crazy. My Del Oro squad better get it together. I have no shame in saying that Folsom will be the big dog next year. So fun to watch and go NorCal!

We are so lucky to live in CA. So many great teams. Good luck to all!

This may be true, but highly unlikely. Bosco would beat Folsom by 30 and CC with their QB would boat race Folsom to the tune of 65 to 24. We will never know though because Folsom has never scheduled up. Instead of spending your time talking Folsom up put that energy towards emailing the coaches and AD to beef the schedule up. At the very least just add one tough non-conference game before you start talking. Folsom has never beaten a top team. Not one in the last 10 years. Bosco will be good next year and they have openings on their schedule. Tell your coaches to call them next week. They are more than willing to play. Is Folsom?

The simple version.....
DLS will likely lose big vs MD in state finals.
Folsom is a fear program, but not on the level of DLS yet. They have been dominated by DLS every year they squared off, not even close. Especially the years where you thought it would be a game.
DLS never played Folsoms best teams. That isn't disputable. But they lose twice to DLS yes.

DLS never played Folsoms best teams. That isn't disputable. But they lose twice to DLS yes.
And Folsom has never played dls best teams. If the rule wasn’t put in place then folsoms best teams would get their shot..but we could also assume if 2012-13 folsom team never played dls they very well could’ve been considered folsoms best teams that 1 lost to dls is the reason 2014 is so highly thought of but they didn’t get to lose to dls lake the previous years did

Imagine if they started letting loser get a second chance? I mean really to be honest DLS gets their best every year, the rest of these bowl game socal sends teams ranked around 10 and lower for socal. There is 3 or 4 teams ranked in the top 25 in the nation not playing for state titles this year. Folsom would not hang with CC or Bosco maybe MV but I doubt it

CCS, LA City and SD have open divisions and send their losses. That's how we have Crenshaw, St. Francis and Milpitas now playing for State Championships. Let's be honest. Most PAC 5 teams would run through Norcal's best. I don't think ths year's Folsom beats SJB, Centennial, MV and Chaminade.

Looking at the bracket all those teams were placed in had a lot of top 25 nationally ranked teams not cal should be lucky we only have to face the winner and not the runner up also...but there’s no better bracket in nation

[QUOTE="thekingera, post: 184674, member: 7700"​
While Folsom is a great program and arguably the best team in Norcal,......... I am actually a Del Oro fan/parent.[/QUOTE]

......um ok....and how's those beach front properties selling in the Mojave desert...??

Last edited:
The only team Folsom couldn't hang with is MD. They could hang with and beat anyone else from the south on any given day, considering their fire power.

Imagine Folsom next year. Going to be crazy. My Del Oro squad better get it together. I have no shame in saying that Folsom will be the big dog next year. So fun to watch and go NorCal!

We are so lucky to live in CA. So many great teams. Good luck to all!
The way you are building up Folsom, I doubt you are affiliated at all with Del Oro, but for argument sake, let say you are a Del Oro parent, my question is how many of the teams you say Folsom would beat have you actually watch play in person (not online) to be able to make such a crazy statement that Folsom would beat SJB or CC? Talk is cheap and you clearly feel comfortable posting outlandish comments such as Folsom would beat everyone but MD this year since you know it can't be proven and they won't face any of these teams.

I realize we are just fans and can't force Folsom to schedule up, but until they do, they will be looked at as only a good team who never plays any top ranked opponents. Until that happens all this talk about Folsom would beat this team or that team is just talk and you lose credibility for building them up so much when they haven't proven anything yet with the schedule to claim top team in NorCal or number 2 in the state based on your comments.

Reactions: Deltadodger
With this weekend’s Open championship fast approaching, one question really stands out as an avid NCS fan/follower.

What is the real status of De La Salle football? With the serious off the field problems over the past year and with them about to be completely exposed in the CIF Open for the second year in a row, one has to seriously consider what their future status is for the first time in 30 years.

Especially after Pittsburg showed their offense is not invisinsible. Defense too for that matter.
I see what you did here. Smh..You've made some asinine comments in the past but this one takes the cake. Right when I am starting to think, "ok, this guy's not so bad after all" you go and do this. Back where I started with you Paloma. Lol

[QUOTE="thekingera, post: 184674, member: 7700"​
While Folsom is a great program and arguably the best team in Norcal,......... I am actually a Del Oro fan/parent.

......um ok....and how's those beach front properties selling in the Mojave desert...??
[/QUOTE]
He keeps claiming over and over and over and over (in my Beastmode voice) and over and over again, that his team is DO. As if he is trying to convince us. Hilarious!!!

my question is how many of the teams you say Folsom would beat have you actually watch play in person (not online) to be able to make such a crazy statement that Folsom would beat SJB or CC?

As a coach, I would point out that all any of you have is marginally educated opinions. And your biases. None of you have any real insight, only your opinions, so it is unfair to quash one opinion that is counter to the group-think. Not until you first have a deeper understanding of the game than a typical fan, and second watch video that is shot for analysis (streaming video is not the same as the video coaches watch). And having a high post count on a message board does not mean that your opinion is any more correct than anyone else's.

I would also argue that watching a team live is a terrible way to actually gauge them. That is why you rarely see coaches in the stands watching games.

And I am not saying that anyone would beat any other team. I stay away from predictions since I have not watched the video.

As a coach, I would point out that all any of you have is marginally educated opinions. And your biases. None of you have any real insight, only your opinions, so it is unfair to quash one opinion that is counter to the group-think. Not until you first have a deeper understanding of the game than a typical fan, and second watch video that is shot for analysis (streaming video is not the same as the video coaches watch). And having a high post count on a message board does not mean that your opinion is any more correct than anyone else's.

I would also argue that watching a team live is a terrible way to actually gauge them. That is why you rarely see coaches in the stands watching games.

And I am not saying that anyone would beat any other team. I stay away from predictions since I have not watched the video.
Thanks feedback. I am not sure why all the negative sediment for having my opinion. I guess being new here, I wasn't aware of all the negative Folsom sediment. I naively believed that we were all on the Norcal train. Apparently I was wrong. But, that's ok. We can all have opinions. I just love good football, fun football...and Folsom is just that.

my question is how many of the teams you say Folsom would beat have you actually watch play in person (not online) to be able to make such a crazy statement that Folsom would beat SJB or CC
If you go back and read what I said- it says that Folsom can hang with and beat those two teams. That is not outlandish. Are those other two teams better? Maybe. But not in my opinion, and that would have to be proved on the field. Regardless, I still believe Folsom is the number one team in Norcal as of right and and going into next year, if they win tomorrow night, which I suspect they will. No need to negativity. We should all be cheering our teams on. Go Norcal!

No way Folsom beats any of the top So Cal teams
I say outside of MD, Folsom can beat any team from the South on any given day. Is that a guarantee? No. But they are talented enough to do it, even as a team fullf of juniors. Next year though....watch out!

What? Could it be coaches aren't in the stands because they are coaching their own game? And watching a team live is not a terrible way to gauge a team. You get a live view of team speed, attitude, and sound for example. Yes I said sound a physical team has a different sound. None of these things show up on film. Advantage in film is the ability to pause rewind etc.

What? We should tell all the college coaches and college scouts they've been doing it all wrong. There's no need for them to watch a player live to get a good read of they're abilities.
Coach?? From how you assess teams you couldn't coach popwarner.

I say outside of MD said:
Watch out for what??? LOL. It's not like Folsom is going to schedule any of the top teams in the state. The program has shown they are content with a cupcake pre-league schedule and ducking DLS to get a lower tier state bowl bid against a lower level So. Cal San Diego team. Yeah...we'll all "keep watching"...and waiting. LOL.

I disagree. Majority of posters provide great insight on high school ball. I value the opinions of majority of the posters on this board.

I agree that video, numerous camera angles, and video analysis software has it advantages. I think that seeing the game live has its advantages too. I get a better feel of the size and speed when watching it live. For me watching slightly elevated in the end zone is the best way to grasp everything that's going on. Problem is there is no rewind button in real life.

What? Could it be coaches aren't in the stands because they are coaching their own game? And watching a team live is not a terrible way to gauge a team. You get a live view of team speed, attitude, and sound for example. Yes I said sound a physical team has a different sound. None of these things show up on film. Advantage in film is the ability to pause rewind etc.
I can tell you 1,000% that one of the most successful HS coaches in NorCal was obsessed about scouting opponents. Why would he and many of his staff attend a 8/9 seed game their first round bye? And yes, they were in the empty side top rows...

Not sure why you quoted me in this post. For starters, I am a big supporter of Folsom since im an SJS guy, but am very disappointed they dont ever challenge themselves with the teams they schedule. Ive said before that could simply be a coaching philosophy of how they choose to run their program.

I too never make any predictions, as iam aware iam not an expert and simply prefer to deal in facts. Fact is Folsom is untested on a national level, so its really hard to take a comment seriously that they could beat any team that is battle tested on a national scale such as SJB.

The fact Folsom has never challenged themselves makes it very hard to know exactly how good they really are. So when someone claims they are the best in NorCal, while maybe an opinon, most have some sort of facts to back that opinion. As of now, their isnt enough facts to make that assesment with Folsom.

I too would love to see Folsom go against a DLS or top SoCal school, but its not going to happen, so comments like the one I responded to was just talk and really no facts to make it an educated opinion.

Iam also well aware of how coaches evaluate teams. Iam closely affiliated with the program I support and know exactly what the head coach goes through on a weekly basis. Which is also why I asked the question with regards to seeing those teams play live since I assumed that poster didn't have access to video of those teams. I completely agree streaming is the worst gauge. I do whatever I can to help our head coach out, but he's the expert and I'm more like his slave lol.

Second, Iam definitely the wrong guy to talk about high post count. My post count is relatively low considering I have been on this board for about 12 years.

If you ever read any of my post, you will find I am actually quite unbiased except with the team I follow and I was actually quite critical of them for reasons I won't get into. Saying Folsom is the best in NorCal is a biased opinion with no facts to support that. When there are so many more facts in favor of a lot of top ranked teams here in Cali.

With all that I have said, I am not closed minded to the idea that the biased opinion I speak of could be accurate.

@thekingera, for the record Iam totally in support of Folsom and believe they will roll in the SBG and believe DLS will get squashed unfortunately :(. Also hope I didn't offend you with my initial response to you. I just really want to see Folsom go out and test themselves to quite all the critics. Iam neutral towards them for reasons stated in the Novel I wrote to @feedback1 lol. My apologies if I came off as a critic, I just don't feel their is nearly enough facts on Folsom to say they are tops in NorCal or could hang or beat the top ranked SoCal guys outside of MD. GO NORCAL :)

I can tell you 1,000% that one of the most successful HS coaches in NorCal was obsessed about scouting opponents. Why would he and many of his staff attend a 8/9 seed game their first round bye? And yes, they were in the empty side top rows...

...small crowds and easy,close in parking....?

@thekingera, for the record Iam totally in support of Folsom and believe they will roll in the SBG and believe DLS will get squashed unfortunately :(. Also hope I didn't offend you with my initial response to you. I just really want to see Folsom go out and test themselves to quite all the critics. Iam neutral towards them for reasons stated in the Novel I wrote to @feedback1 lol. My apologies if I came off as a critic, I just don't feel their is nearly enough facts on Folsom to say they are tops in NorCal or could hang or beat the top ranked SoCal guys outside of MD. GO NORCAL :)
No issues @nascar624 these are just my opinions. I am unaware of their schedule next year but would love to see them against a "top" team. We all know how tough challenging scheduling can be, with just one or two spots open, if that, that will have to align with other teams. I hope it works out. Folsom should be the consensus #1 in NorCal going into next year. Go Norcal!

Reactions: Deltadodger
No issues @nascar624 these are just my opinions. I am unaware of their schedule next year but would love to see them against a "top" team. We all know how tough challenging scheduling can be, with just one or two spots open, if that, that will have to align with other teams. I hope it works out. Folsom should be the consensus #1 in NorCal going into next year. Go Norcal!
Probably will be behind dls I don’t see no team being ahead of them til someone actually beats them from nor cal abc I hope they can find away to play folsom because folsom should be even better on offense atleast next year and we don’t wanba hear the “ 2018 folsom would’ve beat dls” I’m sure dls would love to play folsom I’m the regular season

Not sure why you quoted me in this post. For starters, I am a big supporter of Folsom since im an SJS guy, but am very disappointed they dont ever challenge themselves with the teams they schedule. Ive said before that could simply be a coaching philosophy of how they choose to run their program.

I too never make any predictions, as iam aware iam not an expert and simply prefer to deal in facts. Fact is Folsom is untested on a national level, so its really hard to take a comment seriously that they could beat any team that is battle tested on a national scale such as SJB.

The fact Folsom has never challenged themselves makes it very hard to know exactly how good they really are. So when someone claims they are the best in NorCal, while maybe an opinon, most have some sort of facts to back that opinion. As of now, their isnt enough facts to make that assesment with Folsom.

I too would love to see Folsom go against a DLS or top SoCal school, but its not going to happen, so comments like the one I responded to was just talk and really no facts to make it an educated opinion.

Iam also well aware of how coaches evaluate teams. Iam closely affiliated with the program I support and know exactly what the head coach goes through on a weekly basis. Which is also why I asked the question with regards to seeing those teams play live since I assumed that poster didn't have access to video of those teams. I completely agree streaming is the worst gauge. I do whatever I can to help our head coach out, but he's the expert and I'm more like his slave lol.

Second, Iam definitely the wrong guy to talk about high post count. My post count is relatively low considering I have been on this board for about 12 years.

If you ever read any of my post, you will find I am actually quite unbiased except with the team I follow and I was actually quite critical of them for reasons I won't get into. Saying Folsom is the best in NorCal is a biased opinion with no facts to support that. When there are so many more facts in favor of a lot of top ranked teams here in Cali.

With all that I have said, I am not closed minded to the idea that the biased opinion I speak of could be accurate.
FAIR AND BALANCED

Reactions: nascar624
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT