ADVERTISEMENT

Does Folsom deserve the State Open Division Finals Game?

My guess is Granite Bay will play Pitt in D1A.
Folsom plays Central in D1AA.
Go SFL!

I hope not for Pitt’s sake. After scoring only 16 vs SRV & 7 vs Sparty last night, they need to face a more offensive team that they can put up some points on. The way GB has been playing would be a 14-7 game.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
I really don't think the gap this year with DLS is that large at all.

I don't either. This is clearly Folsom's best team since '14. And while they may or may not be better than DLS, they'd pose some problems for Mater Dei that the Spartans just wouldn't and vice versa.

Interesting discussion and quite frankly, NorCalSportsFan, I'm surprised you brought it up. Funny thing is, I was thinking the same thing. IMO this is one of DLS's weakest seasons in recent years and Folsom, although not having nearly as strong SOS, has survived the season unblemished. In 2008, Grant was chosen over DLS for the SBG Open bid. The scenario is not too different this year.

DLS will probably get the Open bid but there is distinct possibility that Folsom could get it this year.

It's not the same scenario from the standpoint that the Pacers had 2 wins over a State Champ. Folsom doesn't have that. They came close to 1, though, as CDA barely lost in the 5A Final to Highland.

However, they do have a 21 pt win over the SJS D2 Champ. But DLS has a win over St. John's who won WCAC.

In 2008, Grant Union had a clear advantage in resume. Folsom doesn't have that over DLS this season.

Regardless of the DLS injuries it would be best for them to play MD due to their SOS. DLS is battle tested and would give MD a better game than either Central or Folsom.

Agree to a point. But I do feel that Folsom might just be a tougher matchup for MD from the standpoint that their offense can hurt them in more ways. They can sling it to 2 big, athletic and strong WR's or run it with their scat back or their athletic QB. We know what DLS bring on offense and if you can slow their run game, they typically aren't gonna be able to threaten you much via the pass game. Pitt showed a bit of that last night.

Mater Dei 52, St. Mary's 14
Folsom 50, St. Mary's 21

I believe St. Mary's was missing their QB for the MD game.

And every game after Week 0, including against Folsom. Noah May was injured the opening game against Serra and never played the rest of the season. The Rams used Marcus Aponte -- their best WR -- at QB for much of the season then played Hunter Low later in the season.

I hope not for Pitt’s sake. After scoring only 16 vs SRV & 7 vs Sparty last night, they need to face a more offensive team that they can put up some points on. The way GB has been playing would be a 14-7 game.

Yeah, GB plays really solid defense. But their offense is so unexplosive that Pitt would probably love that matchup. Their athletes would likely be the difference. If GB had any type of offense, I'd love them in that matchup. But they won't move the ball against Pitt's d-line.

Last edited:
Interesting comment about injuries as sparty gets more rest for their starters in-season than 99% of programs.

@35- why wouldn’t dLS backers want a shot at MD and another (not real) MNC? The once storied bravado from Winton is now “DLS alum’s” post @35? “(We’ll) be crushed by MD.” After 20 years of snarking dominance over programs “who didn’t work hard enough” it’s mirror time; suck it up and take your lumps.

Reactions: observer22
Two more for you:

Bishop Gorman 34, DLS 7
Mater Dei 35, Bishop Gorman 21
Folsom 56 Tracy 21
Folsom 50 St. Mary's 21
I guess St. Mary's is only 6 points better than Tracy? Wrong! ...
St. Mary's 42 Tracy 14

Btw, the Rams played with Aponte at QB vs MD and the Rams played with Low at QB vs Folsom. Aponte was still in transit to the game yesterday after taking the SAT's. He later joined the game at WR, and was little impact still recovering from turf toe. Frampton played only the first half vs MD. Frampton played only the first play on offense vs Folsom.

I don't either. This is clearly Folsom's best team since '14. And while they may or may not be better than DLS, they'd pose some problems for Mater Dei that the Spartans just wouldn't and vice versa.

It's not the same scenario from the standpoint that the Pacers had 2 wins over a State Champ. Folsom doesn't have that. They came close to 1, though, as CDA barely lost in the 5A Final to Highland.

However, they do have a 21 pt win over the SJS D2 Champ. But DLS has a win over St. John's who won WCAC.

In 2008, Grant Union had a clear advantage in resume. Folsom doesn't have that over DLS this season.

Agree to a point. But I do feel that Folsom might just be a tougher matchup for MD from the standpoint of their offense can hurt them in more ways. They can sling it to 2 big, athletic and strong WR's or run it with their scat back or their athletic QB. We know what DLS bring on offense and if you can slow their run game, they typically aren't gonna be able to threaten you much via the pass game. Pitt showed a bit of that last night.

And every game after Week 0, including against Folsom. Noah May was injured the opening game against Serra and never played the rest of the season. The Rams used Marcus Aponte -- their best WR -- at QB for much of the season then played Hunter Low later in the season.

Yeah, GB plays really solid defense. But their offense is so unexplosive that Pitt would probably love that matchup. Their athletes would likely be the difference. If GB had any type of offense, I'd love them in that matchup. But they won't move the ball against Pitt's d-line.
Good stuff! And you get major props for the multi-response post. You da man.

Folsom has a better shot at a state championship if they get selected for the 1AA game, even though they will have to go thru 2 more teams. No one is beating Mater Dei. The Monarchs, unlike the Rams, have the athletes to shut down Folsom's offense. The top teams in the country have not come close to stopping JT Daniels and his WR's. Whether its DLS or Folsom, the north is going to get killed by Mater Dei.

Interesting comment about injuries as sparty gets more rest for their starters in-season than 99% of programs.

@35- why wouldn’t dLS backers want a shot at MD and another (not real) MNC? The once storied bravado from Winton is now “DLS alum’s” post @35? “(We’ll) be crushed by MD.” After 20 years of snarking dominance over programs “who didn’t work hard enough” it’s mirror time; suck it up and take your lumps.

I thought that stood out as well. DLS is far deeper and their starters get far more rest than anyone else that it’s almost comical for them to complain about injuries. Every team has a lot of injuries this time of year. I’m sure Serra, Pitt and St. Mary’s would love to have all their starters available.

I thought that stood out as well. DLS is far deeper and their starters get far more rest than anyone else that it’s almost comical for them to complain about injuries. Every team has a lot of injuries this time of year. I’m sure Serra, Pitt and St. Mary’s would love to have all their starters available.
Having to face MD, I can see the comments about injuries. It's not like MD needs the advantage of facing a less than full strength DLS. The loss of Robinson at RB will hurt big time. This game went from a bad DLS loss to a horrible loss. A lot of pressure on the DLS D now to try to contain MD's offense to hopefully keep the score respectable.

I personally feel that a full strength DLS is the better choice for the open over Folsom, but I like Folsom over a less than full strength DLS.

Hopefully they can get some of their guys healthy in the next 2 weeks; however my understanding is that Robinson is out completely. That is a big loss for them.

Folsom should schedule DLS (schedule early, like Week 0) and leave no doubt. Folsom is very good this year. They will be great next year and could even win the Open next year. But, gotta get a win vs DLS to do it. Step up!

Reactions: Oldguy2017
I agree that Folsom and DLS should play next year, but not Week zero. i would say DLS would want to play Folsom around week 3, and they have earned the right to host the game in Concord.

If you are playing a good team like Folsom you want a game or two under your belt. Why would Folsom want to schedule DLS in week zero?

Folsom should schedule DLS (schedule early, like Week 0) and leave no doubt. Folsom is very good this year. They will be great next year and could even win the Open next year. But, gotta get a win vs DLS to do it. Step up!
Yes! Would be great for the team in R & B to do this. And it would be even better if they scheduled a Trinity team as well. If they do this no one can say anything negative or be critical of the R & B team moving forward.

The Monarchs, unlike the Rams, have the athletes to shut down Folsom's offense.

While they'd beat Folsom by 3-4 scores, I don't think they'd shut down Folsom's offense. Not in the least.
The Monarchs have a good defense, but not an elite one. Their offense is what carries them. It's unstoppable.

Folsom's offense is multidimensional and features 2 WR's that I don't think any defense I've seen in CA could necessarily matchup with 1 on 1 and shut down.

The best way to slow Folsom's offense is to dominate their o-line and get quick and consistent pressure on the QB. SJB and DLS would probably have the best chance at doing that. Even then, you still run the risk of losing the 1 on 1 battle with Ngata and Badger if you don't get to Bennett. And Bennett is good at escaping pressure and hurting defenses with his legs.

I'm just really impressed with Folsom's offense and don't think they'll be shut down by anyone. But Folsom's defense wouldn't have much of a shot at slowing a team like Mater Dei. But they could score on them.

Folsom 56 Tracy 21
Folsom 50 St. Mary's 21
I guess St. Mary's is only 6 points better than Tracy? Wrong! ...
St. Mary's 42 Tracy 14

Another example of why score comparisons and daisy chaining is trash. Teams matchup differently with one another and level of play varies over the course of a season due to numerous factors.

Hell, how may times do we see a team that lost early in the season win a rematch with the same team later in the season? Look at Georgia v. Auburn in the NCAA. Just a few weeks ago, Auburn just annihilated Georgia and only a few weeks later the script was flipped.

Absolutely. That would have been a great game this year.

Why does everyone say that Folsom should schedule DLS in week zero. Why not let both teams get two games under their belt and play say the third game of the eyar for both.

Why does everyone say that Folsom should schedule DLS in week zero. Why not let both teams get two games under their belt and play say the third game of the eyar for both.
Why are you so worried about Folsom? Scared they would beat DLS this year? Looking through your prior posts you seem to only post about anything that comes up about Folsom. Why the obsession?

While they'd beat Folsom by 3-4 scores, I don't think they'd shut down Folsom's offense. Not in the least.
The Monarchs have a good defense, but not an elite one. Their offense is what carries them. It's unstoppable.

Folsom's offense is multidimensional and features 2 WR's that I don't think any defense I've seen in CA could necessarily matchup with 1 on 1 and shut down.

The best way to slow Folsom's offense is to dominate their o-line and get quick and consistent pressure on the QB. SJB and DLS would probably have the best chance at doing that. Even then, you still run the risk of losing the 1 on 1 battle with Ngata and Badger if you don't get to Bennett. And Bennett is good at escaping pressure and hurting defenses with his legs.

I'm just really impressed with Folsom's offense and don't think they'll be shut down by anyone. But Folsom's defense wouldn't have much of a shot at slowing a team like Mater Dei. But they could score on them.
Sac high did a good job of slowing them down in both match ups

Sac high did a good job of slowing them down in both match ups

Totally agree. The Dragons just matchup well with them for whatever reason. Very much part of the reason I was quite high on them all season. They're pretty good.

But slowing an offense is different than shutting it down. Lots of good defenses could slow them. For example, Folsom wouldn't score 40+ (like they do to most teams) on DLS's defense. But they could score 20+, which is pretty good considering. Slowed but not shut down.

Agree Folsom would score 20+ on DLS, but in turn that probably would not be enough. The last two times those teams played we have to remember that Folsom had Browning and I believe Jonah Williams. They have nothing near those two presently.

The last two times those teams played we have to remember that Folsom had Browning and I believe Jonah Williams. They have nothing near those two presently.

You need to brush up on your history. Browning, yes, during his Soph. and Jr. seasons but no Jonah Williams. His first season with Folsom was the 2014 team, as a Junior.

That, along with a Sr. version of Cody Creason is one of the reasons Folsom's 2014 lines were so darn good and capable of playing with anyone. That, and something like 13 scholarship players.

Reactions: feedback1
You need to brush up on your history. Browning, yes, during his Soph. and Jr. seasons but no Jonah Williams. His first season with Folsom was the 2014 team, as a Junior.

That, along with a Sr. version of Cody Creason is one of the reasons Folsom's 2014 lines were so darn good and capable of playing with anyone. That, and something like 13 scholarship players.

Not making excuses, as DLS crushed two very good Folsom teams. But as Thunder stated, neither were among Folsom’s best. The 2014 team was their best of the past 5 years. Before that, it was the Dano Graves led 2010 team. I believe both those squads would’ve provided DLS a much better game.

Reactions: awood1
Totally agree. The Dragons just matchup well with them for whatever reason. Very much part of the reason I was quite high on them all season. They're pretty good.

But slowing an offense is different than shutting it down. Lots of good defenses could slow them. For example, Folsom wouldn't score 40+ (like they do to most teams) on DLS's defense. But they could score 20+, which is pretty good considering. Slowed but not shut down.
Sac high had 4 ints vs Folsom in the second match up...if it’s wasnt for folsom pick 6 they would’ve lost the game...on 3rd n short they elected to throw the ball and both times Tgey came up short one went the other way for a td and the other one was on the game winning drive the wr just dropped it with no defender within 10 yards of him...as far as matching up sac high has good size and speed with the right athletes on the outside...for central it’ll come down to getting pressure

Reactions: ThunderRam
Sac high had 4 ints vs Folsom in the second match up...if it’s wasnt for folsom pick 6 they would’ve lost the game...on 3rd n short they elected to throw the ball and both times Tgey came up short one went the other way for a td and the other one was on the game winning drive the wr just dropped it with no defender within 10 yards of him...as far as matching up sac high has good size and speed with the right athletes on the outside...for central it’ll come down to getting pressure

Agreed.

I said in another thread that had Sac managed to win the OT game against Del Campo, I think they'd have won section. They're pretty good.

FWIW, DC ended up being a lot better than I had previously thought too.

Reactions: Deltadodger
Agreed.

I said in another thread that had Sac managed to win the OT game against Del Campo, I think they'd have won section. They're pretty good.

FWIW, DC ended up being a lot better than I had previously thought too.

Del campo was pretty good this year they had good size and good team speed

Seems they are just dominating St Mary's who dominated Serra. Serra dominated St Francis. If St Francis wins would help DLS but seems could impact choice. DLS has win over St Johns but Folsom arguably would have defeated them as well. DLS has nice win over Central Fresno, but this choice seems like it isn't given DLS will get it. Folsom ran through arguably the top one or two leagues in northern CA. Any other thoughts?
I️ don’t think it will matter much who the NorCal Open team is. Mater Dei is head and shoulders above any team in the state, especially NorCal. This could likely be the largest margin of victory in Open history. Folsom would get beat down far wise than DLS. DLS has better D and will run the ball to limit possessions for MD. If DLS was to pull of this victory, it would be the biggest upset since DLS vs Poly when Jones-Drew was RB.

Del campo was pretty good this year they had good size and good team speed

DC was very good. Funny how they dropped out of Regional Top 20, after a tough and narrow loss to GB. The DC team I saw is better than the Del Oro team I saw GB punk last weekend

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT