ADVERTISEMENT

Dougherty Valley Shootout Final Results & Thoughts

CoachDblP

Superstar
Feb 27, 2011
First & foremost, I want to personally thank everyone, team, players, coaches, parents, family & friends that attended this event, it was another very successful year. Teams played no less than 5 games in a 3 day period and there was some very good basketball being played as well as a few surprises to me. Final Results in the 4 different brackets.

Championship Bracket:
Sheldon defeated Dougherty Valley to win yet another Championship Title.
Sheldon comes in almost every year as the favorite and they did not disappoint this year. Very well coached and they took care of business like they usually do. They can beat you in a variety of different ways, down low, from the outside, in transition and lock you down defensively. This team will make another run at the Golden One Center!!

Dougherty Valley was a pleasant surprise, with the addition of Beasley, the Wildcats beat a great team in Campo to reach the finals. Beasley fits in nicely into the Wildcats lineup and was still one of the most talented players in this tournament & the two Sevilla brothers look like they are ready for big years.

Campo was by far the most fundamentally sound team in this tournament. They are so well coached, played extremely hard and have talented players at every position. Incoming freshman looks like a stud.

Salesian was in every game and wanted to pick up games to play as much as possible. 1st class coach who makes it all about developing his players and getting everyone some run. This team will only get better and better and the Pride will have something to say when the NCS Playoffs begin.

Bellarmine is loaded, they showed up with two teams and if I'm not mistaken, both team were undefeated after pool play. They are big, long and fast and I am thinking the WCAL will come down to Bellarmaine and Mitty.

Gold Bracket:
University defeated Acalanes in a tough finals game. It was a game of runs an University put together a few to many runs for the Dons to answer. If you have not seen this team play, I would make a point to see them someone during the season. Well coached, deep, almost every player is a triple threat player, they do lack a big inside present but make up for it with there accurate shooting and great executions of their plays. This is a great team to watch, you won't be disappointed.

Acalanes is super scrappy with one great shooter and a few nice role players, have a few rotating big men they play well inside and execute at both ends of the court. They were pushed in their opening game by Albany but one 51-50, then a great overtime win against Liberty 57-56 and ran out of gas a little bit in the finals

Serra is deep but lost their big man who dunked in warm ups and turned his ankle, so he had to sit out the semifinals game against University.

Liberty is a guard oriented team that wants to play a fast paced game. They are great in transition but what hurt this team, is they lost there best player with a leg injury or cramp and that 6 minutes he was out, might have been the difference maker in a 1 point overtime loss to Acalanes.

Silver Bracket:
Miramonte took care of business on the final day and walked out of there with a Championship by defeating Arroyo. This team is fun to watch and Wayne Hunter has done a nice job putting his stamp on this team. Well balanced and they get after it defensively but really flexed their muscles in this bracket and the Championship was never in doubt.

Arroyo is very scrappy, played hard and showed well here this weekend. Another team that got better and will continue to improve as the year goes on.

Palo Alto showed nicely at times but seem to run out of juice against Miramonte in the semifinals. I didn't seem much of this team so don't feel I couldn't report accurately.

Bronze Bracket:
Oakland defeated College Park to win this bracket and take home what I think is their first DV Shootout Championship. This is what this tournament is all about. Pools are set up so that come Championship Sunday, teams play similar & like opponents. Oakland might have struggled in the pool but came ready to play on Sunday, defeating the likes of Washington Fremont, tough hard nosed battle against Ripon in the semifinals and still had enough to finish off College Park. Fun team to watch and they are have some nice pieces in place.

College Park struggled in their pool play but like Oakland, played really well on Sunday. They have a few talented players but lack depth in this tournament.

Ripon is a team I have not seen at all until this tournament, they showed up with a bunch a guys that play hard, seem to execute pretty well and they are going to win games this year cause they play defense really well.

I was mainly at both Cal High Gyms and at Dougherty's Main gym for a few hours on Saturday and I want to say thank you for to all the players, coaches and parents, family, friends and refs I came across. It was such a pleasure to help make this a great experience for you all. I was greeted with smiling faces throughout the day, a bunch of parents thanks me and the staff members over and over. Coaches were professionals, players played the game the right way an conducted themselves nicely while at the gym and ordering at the snack bar. I never heard so many sir's, please and thank you's in all my years doing this.

Special thank you to a few favorites of mine, Newark Memorial coach Craig Ashmore and his father as well as Bill Mellis at Salesian. Not sure there are three nicer men in this game of basketball and watching them interact with their players is something I wish we all had an opportunity to witness. Men like this and their players are the reason why we run this tournament each and every year and will continue to do so.

***** I had the honor to meet Kidman from Norcal preps, he's a true basketball junkie and knows so very much about this great game. I introduced myself to him on Saturday after the tournament and he has seem more basketball & loves this game more than most, keep up the great work and reporting Kidman *****

Let the truth be told!! I do this every year and want to hear from the people, how could we make the tournament a better experience for you, the coaches, players and spectators? I think there has to be something done about the last 20 seconds of the first half. The smart and savvy coaches (University & Acalanes are two that come to mind) were fouling because of the running clock and made it almost impossible for the offensive team to inbound the ball again and get a shot off. Just wanted you to know I am working on creating a solution to this problem. Please be open and honest, we are open to constructive criticism.

Very well said. The one thing that caught my eye was the Bellarmine and Mitty for the WCAL title. When all said and done And if they all get on same page together RIORDAN will be crowned. They have a terrific Guard Duo of Bryce and Jelani. A 6-8 Riiny a 6-9 Ngot and a 6-11 sleeper that no one has seen . That’s a huge front line . Time will tell

Very well said. The one thing that caught my eye was the Bellarmine and Mitty for the WCAL title. When all said and done And if they all get on same page together RIORDAN will be crowned. They have a terrific Guard Duo of Bryce and Jelani. A 6-8 Riiny a 6-9 Ngot and a 6-11 sleeper that no one has seen . That’s a huge front line . Time will tell

You might be right and I don't know anything about the 6'11 sleeper. Mitty is also getting a player 6'9-6'10 back from injury that will help. WCAL will be a great league and could have 3 top 10 teams in it.

Great event!

Spent the whole three days watching the games at DV's main gym...

It seems more people read this forum than I suspected... During the three days, seven or eight people recognized me and introduced themselves, even one player!

Between this tourney and a brief time at the DLS event on Friday, I got a sneak preview of many of the top NorCal teams, and I think this next season will be terrific! Many, many strong teams...

But I put Sheldon on my way-too-soon rankings for NorCal at #1... Didn't get to see Modesto Christian, tho... Wonder how they compare? Also haven't seen Riordan yet... But for now I stick with Sheldon on top.

I have Mitty at #2 for now, Bellarmine just behind, tho... Could go either way. With Riordan in that league also, WCAL is gonna be ridiculous!

btw, thank you for the kind words, but meeting me an honor? LOL

I'm just a schmo who likes HS hoops... a LOT.

JV tournament is this weekend, Friday-Sunday, at Dougherty Valley HS and Windermere Ranch MS. Not as large as the varsity tournament but still pretty plenty of games to watch.

JV tournament is this weekend, Friday-Sunday, at Dougherty Valley HS and Windermere Ranch MS. Not as large as the varsity tournament but still pretty plenty of games to watch.
Thank you so much. Do you happen to know if there Is there a schedule posted yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT