ADVERTISEMENT

EBAL

It depends on your end goal of a program. If it is section titles, then playing non open is a better option. If it is for NorCal/state titles, then you need the Open (if you are a Division I program)

Reactions: observer22
It depends on your end goal of a program. If it is section titles, then playing non open is a better option. If it is for NorCal/state titles, then you need the Open (if you are a Division I program)

True, but since 1991 there aren't many D1 teams with NCS titles (1), so it kind of worked out for MV. I'm sure they would have preferred beating DLS and winning the Open and going on to rep NorCal for a state title, but you can't always get what you want.

Personally, I think the dark horse in BVAL is Heritage. Maybe I'm just saying that cause my nephew is one of their coaches. :D

The BVAL is no joke. Antioch looks like it may be the 4th best team in that league and it was considered a big win for CVC.

Personally, I think the dark horse in BVAL is Heritage. Maybe I'm just saying that cause my nephew is one of their coaches. :D
Heritage is not going to win the BVAL or even finish top 2. Record is deceiving. They haven't played anybody..wins coming against terrible competition. Now if they beat Pitt or Freedom, then there may be something. Not going to happen.

Heritage is not going to win the BVAL or even finish top 2. Record is deceiving. They haven't played anybody..wins coming against terrible competition. Now if they beat Pitt or Freedom, then there may be something. Not going to happen.

You're probably right we will learn a lot about Heritage this week when they take on Liberty. That's why I said dark horse and not favorite.

You're probably right we will learn a lot about Heritage this week when they take on Liberty. That's why I said dark horse and not favorite.
Doubt we'll learn very much this weekend vs Liberty. Apply my first comment to Liberty here as well. Same boat. Won't learn anything until they play Pitt and Freedom.

So would SRV go into the open as 4 seed if things remain the same? If so that means back-to-back games with DLS as they play DLS last game of the season. Ouch.
I don’t think so. Without thoroughly breaking it down, it seems like SRV has a stronger schedule than Freedom. So I think the BVAL will play a huge roll in Clayton and SRV’s fate. I think Pittsburg is the best team. I can see Pitt losing to Freedom but I also can see Freedom losing to Liberty and/or Heritage.

If Pittsburg beats Freedom next week I think they run the table and will be the 2 seed, SRV the three, and a heated debate between Freedom and CV for the 4 seed. That’s why I think Pittsburg against Freedom is the NCS game of the years.

I know this, the NCS D1 playoffs wil be a toss up who wins that. Teams 5-10 are all capable of beating each other.

So it looks like the NCS is going to screw itself again by not submitting it’s best 6 teams for consideration for Norcals while every other section in the state does.

Reactions: UglyEagle
Has Cal High settled for what they are? Solid program looking at 7-3 or 8-2 each year with maybe some playoff success. A lot of programs would take that in a heartbeat, but seems to be a step back for the Grizzlies.
When Heffel stated here on NCP the HC didn't engage in his youth feeder program for games or practices (sheesh, you're on campus for film Saturdays when they play) that was unbelievable.
Sanchez rallied the community: Families, players, admins, alums, fans everybody all in!
Those close games in '08 and '10 had the Grizzly Nation hopeful of slaying Goliath. Now? Meh.

The relationship was very adversarial. Did not like engagement with DVH. We were forced to practice there because of Cal band practice. Kids lost from Bears that could have gone to Cal:

DLS: Allen, Elting, Slimm, Powers
FH: Woolridge, Sahagan, Cornwell
BOD: Jones

Still at Cal: Potter, Silva, Alatasi, Baretto, Henry, Mendance

Coached them all and all of them could be starting at Cal.

The relationship was very adversarial. Did not like engagement with DVH. We were forced to practice there because of Cal band practice. Kids lost from Bears that could have gone to Cal:

DLS: Allen, Elting, Slimm, Powers
FH: Woolridge, Sahagan, Cornwell
BOD: Jones

Still at Cal: Potter, Silva, Alatasi, Baretto, Henry, Mendance

Coached them all and all of them could be starting at Cal.

I agree that the staff at CHS is not engaged with the Bears program and it shows in your post. Don't you think the four that are at DLS probably go there, regardless? I can see why Wooldridge, Sahagun and Cornwell are avoiding the run happy Cal High system. Word on the street is that Cornwell parents think Billeci is the reason older Cornwell didn't get an offer from Cal Berkeley.

Cal has beaten Foothill 8 of the last 10 times the teams have faced each other, with Foothill's lone wins coming in 2014 & 2015. Cal beat them twice last season 28-15 & 35-7, and every other time they've played since 2008. Should be a battle Friday night at Ernie Berger. I hope Cal is up for the challenge and plays better than they did vs. the Wolves last week.

Last edited:
Cal has beaten Foothill 8 of the last 10 times the teams have faced each other, with Foothill's lone wins coming in 2014 & 2015. Cal beat them twice last season 28-15 & 35-7, and every other time they've played since 2008. Should be a battle Friday night at Ernie Berger. I hope Cal is up for the challenge and plays better than they did vs. the Wolves last week.

Still scratching my head why Cal ran wildcat in first half of 2014 game

Still scratching my head why Cal ran wildcat in first half of 2014 game

I'm pretty sure that was the impetus for the younger Wooldridge to enroll at Foothill, as his older brother was the senior QB that game and dad was fuming big time while it was going down. He was not happy.

I'm pretty sure that was the impetus for the younger Wooldridge to enroll at Foothill, as his older brother was the senior QB that game and dad was fuming big time while it was going down. He was not happy.

I know reasons why I was fuming too especially when older Wooldridge had a good second half

Powers/Slimm would have most likely gone to DLS anyway so you are correct. Still a lot of decent football players chose other places. With the way things are going in youth football and football in general in this area ,need to embrace the youth programs. Only upside.

HUGE miscalculation when runner up Sean Manuel got nixed for a dLS alum.

SRV 41 - Granada 14
Foothill 14 - Cal 0
AV 21 - MV 13
Livermore 24 - DV 7
Dublin 32 - Stellar Prep 0

EBAL standings as of 9/30:

Overall; League

SRV 5-0; 4-0
AV 4-2; 3-1
Foothill 3-2: 3-1
Cal 3-2; 2-2
MV 3-2; 2-2
Granada 3-2; 1-2
Livermore 3-1; 1-2
Dublin 2-3; 0-3
DV 1-4: 0-3

unless something catastrophic happens looks like EBAL's a wrap....... SRV

SRV faces AV next week, and if they lose (something catastrophic), then AV is in the drivers' seat. SRV should be the heavy favorite, but they can't take the Dons lightly. It is clearly SRV's title to lose at this point.

EBAL games this week 10/6:

Cal @ DLS
Foothill @ Granada
Dublin @ Livermore
DV @ MV
AV @ SRV

EBAL games this week 10/6:

Cal @ DLS - DLS wins 42-0
Foothill @ Granada - Foothill wins 24-13
Dublin @ Livermore - Dublin wins 24-6
DV @ MV -MV wins 46-7
AV @ SRV - SRV wins 45-14

Heard from some parents who were at the game and said it looked like Cal didnt want to be there Friday night

Heard from some parents who were at the game and said it looked like Cal didnt want to be there Friday night

Heard the same thing about Dougherty, but they showed up and gave it a shot. It's been a few years now since the Grizz have given Sparty some competition.

EBAL standings as of 10/7:

Overall; League

SRV 6-0; 5-0
Foothill 4-2; 4-1
AV 4-3; 3-2
MV 4-2; 3-2
Cal 3-3; 2-2
Granada 3-3; 1-3
Livermore 3-3; 1-3
Dublin 3-3; 1-3
DV 1-5: 0-4

EBAL Scores 10-13:

Granada 27 - MV 24
Cal 49 - DV 7
SRV 49 - Livermore 7
AV 24 - Dublin 3
DLS 42 - Foothill 0

2017 East Bay Standings
----------League..Overall

SRV----------6-0.....7-0
Foothill-----4-1.....4-3
AV------------4-2.....5-3

Cal-----------3-2.....4-3
MV-----------3-3.....4 3
Granada---2-3.....4-3
Dublin----- 1-4.....3-4
Livermore-1-4.....3-4
DV------------0-5.....1-6

Last edited:
Upcoming Games
Fri 10/20 Livermore at Amador Valley

projection: Amador Valley 26-7
Fri 10/20 Granada at California
projection: California 27-20
Fri 10/20 Foothill at Dougherty Valley
projection: Foothill 44-3
Fri 10/20 San Ramon Valley at Dublin
projection: San Ramon Valley 48-6
Fri 10/20 De La Salle at Monte Vista
projection: De La Salle 49-3

Fri 10/20 Livermore at Amador Valley
projection: Amador Valley 26-7
AV wins 24-0

Fri 10/20 Granada at California
projection: California 27-20
Cal wins 34-17

Fri 10/20 Foothill at Dougherty Valley
projection: Foothill 44-3
Foothill wins 48-0

Fri 10/20 San Ramon Valley at Dublin
projection: San Ramon Valley 48-6
SRV wins 63-24

Fri 10/20 De La Salle at Monte Vista
projection: De La Salle 49-3
DLS wins 45-7

Reactions: Bubba3000
Good win for Cal High. Thought there was a chance Granada would get them

Good win for Cal High. Thought there was a chance Granada would get them

Traditionally Granada is a tough physical team that almost always lacks the team and athleticism speed to actually beat the better teams in EBAL

Traditionally Granada is a tough physical team that almost always lacks the team and athleticism speed to actually beat the better teams in EBAL

Granada has had a tough time in the EBAL for many years, rarely finishing even in the top 4 of the league, even when they have had the players. Even in 2010, with their most athletic team in recent memory when they had the Atkinson twins (who both won NCS 100 meter championships) and Eddie Horn (who went on to play D1), they still finished tied for 4th place with Foothill (whom they lost to head to head).

Luckily for the Matadors, they are now down in D2 and may have a chance to do some damage in the NCS playoffs.

Anyone know why AV's freshman team is only showing a 2-0 record in MaxPreps? Have they only played two games this season?

Granada has had a tough time in the EBAL for many years, rarely finishing even in the top 4 of the league, even when they have had the players. Even in 2010, with their most athletic team in recent memory when they had the Atkinson twins (who both won NCS 100 meter championships) and Eddie Horn (who went on to play D1), they still finished tied for 4th place with Foothill (whom they lost to head to head).

Luckily for the Matadors, they are now down in D2 and may have a chance to do some damage in the NCS playoffs.
Horn was one bad dude. Dublin 4 Team scrimmage cancelled when he went Mike Tyson...twice. Watched twins George III and Josh all four years. As O22 said, huge sprinters (state qualified when healthy) but did not exactly translate to FB as pops might have wanted. Although III had his cup o’ tea at South Bend then Raidhuzz, Josh was tougher of the two. One of my BR players was a Matador QB with them both ways as a SS. He was trim; tough as nails. (Eventual SSU Baseball) Broke a fibula at Cal High making a tackle and pretty much negated for years any EBAL QB deserving D time.

Ridge- most Fr teams don’t publish. In fact Foothill especially sometimes didn’t even list V max preps stats. Mannion had like 250 completions his SR year , with 50 balls to his Y which is essentially another xz in spread.

Last edited:
Ridge- most Fr teams don’t publish. In fact Foothill especially sometimes didn’t even list V max preps stats. Mannion had like 250 completions his SR year , with 50 balls to his Z which is essentially another xy in spread.

Thanks 1315. AV is coming up this way on Thursday and I was checking to see how good they are on paper, but saw only two games published. Seems most of the teams in the SJS do publish, so I thought it was odd.

Anyone know why AV's freshman team is only showing a 2-0 record in MaxPreps? Have they only played two games this season?
In the past, Maxpreps. has had a number of teams with as many as only six to eight games...?? I rhink that some of the reporters don't show up, leaving maxpreps. highand dry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT