ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Bennett to Mater Dei

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Was talked about in another thread but worth mentioning again. Capital Christian loses one of the top DT in the area.

Fourth school in four years for Bennett

I thought he is an OL. It will be interesting to see if he will be able to crack the lineup, or if he is moving to ride the pine.

Wow, I'm from down here, and not even I can believe it. Bosco was loading up the new shotgun shells for this upcoming season, so I had them pegged as heavy favorites. But with this addition in the middle? MD has taken out their own shells and are reloading for a serious title defense. The Arms race is real. There are several seriously good teams down here, who don't want in, to the D1 playoff bracket. Centennial is a Quality program, but they won't stand a chance.

Reactions: 13 others
Can you say red flag..... That most be the worse kid/parent to deal with. It speaks volumes about his character and the values or lack thereof the parents have. If he's good enough to play in college doesn't matter if he goes to Placer HS or Mater Dei. Have some pride for god sake.

Can you say red flag..... That most be the worse kid/parent to deal with. It speaks volumes about his character and the values or lack thereof the parents have. If he's good enough to play in college doesn't matter if he goes to Placer HS or Mater Dei. Have some pride for god sake.
ya'll got that right!!

Reactions: coachlittle
MD has no shame like a few other schools up north. The one family that transferred to ours- nixed by the powerhouse- after 8th grade was good, not great. Continued to work off season with the powerhouse assistant; weird. In fact, Dad probs thought he could beat out the Sr , soph year....not quite sir. ;)
Coach gladly promoted him as part of the deal, but cooler/wiser heads prevailed. He got his two years, and was done.

Crazy parents? Not really. Agenda? Absolutely. And it’s never going away as the era of the HS program having integrity at the top slowly, yet increasingly accelerating, erodes.

Every time I read about the Pete Michaletos of the world retiring, I reflect on the several good men mine encountered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...east-bay-high-school-football-coach-dies/amp/

I think if a player can move up a level and practice with a higher level of competition they should do it. Practice/training is where development happens and the games are just to show off the hard work. As long as he's getting a good amount of reps in practice then it should help him develop as a player.

Probably makes him ideal in their eyes..... :rolleyes:

Alabama for example did 174 million in revenue in 17'. Divide that by 85 scholarships and we get 2,047,058.82. At that amount of revenue one may need to know that a young man is o.k. with rolling up and kicking rocks if he's not pulling his weight.

Correction: Football did 108 million of the 174, but you get the point.

That’s gross, not net. Although Bama will never be hurting for FB scholly $$.

Many examples of kids getting overlooked out of HS, then also College.
The cream rises to the top.

IMHO 3 youth programs, 4 high schools, speaks loudly that there is no team in this player...It's all about me....and what I get......character....

Probably more the parent than the kid in this case, however, it's a knock against, regardless.

Wow, I'm from down here, and not even I can believe it. Bosco was loading up the new shotgun shells for this upcoming season, so I had them pegged as heavy favorites. But with this addition in the middle? MD has taken out their own shells and are reloading for a serious title defense. The Arms race is real. There are several seriously good teams down here, who don't want in, to the D1 playoff bracket. Centennial is a Quality program, but they won't stand a chance.
Well you might Like to know MD is working on a game with IMG right now so at least they are seeking like competition

I think if a player can move up a level and practice with a higher level of competition they should do it. Practice/training is where development happens and the games are just to show off the hard work. As long as he's getting a good amount of reps in practice then it should help him develop as a player.

This is absolutely absurd for several reasons. If I follow your logic, EVERY kid who is capable of playing at a better level of competition should move to a school that offers a better practice environment. In other words, every player capable of earning a scholarship should move to DLS, Pittsburgh, Serra, Bellarmine, Folsom or St. Mary's. AND every player capable of playing JC ball should move to a better high school to get better reps. Of course there is no way for the kid to objectively know with certainty which group he belongs to. He or his parents only need to believe that the kid is capable playing at that higher level. That is a fantastic idea and high school football kids and parents are well-known to have realistic expectations and 100% spot-on with their own self-assessment (sarcasm intended).

Kids who do not start for their HS team generally do not get scholarship offers. Maybe in this new world, the MD or SJB or DLS backups get offers. But riding the pine at a good high school is a great way to ensure anonymity.

No kid can know for certainty that they will get practice reps before they transfer. They cannot even contact the coach before they enroll in the school.

Practice contact is largely eliminated at many schools, and certainly at the best schools. So practice reps are not what they used to be. They certainly are not anything like game conditions when one side is the pre-determined winner.

Colleges use GAME FILM and highlights to evaluate players, not practice video. A kid who plays against top players in actual games has tangible evidence of their ability to compete. Exchanging game reps against a good team for practice reps on that same team is a terrible way to get to the next level IMO.

Colleges use GAME FILM and highlights to evaluate players, not practice video. A kid who plays against top players in actual games has tangible evidence of their ability to compete. Exchanging game reps against a good team for practice reps on that same team is a terrible way to get to the next level IMO.

You mean they don't use 7 on 7 film?

Reactions: awood1
Umm no. They don't.

(David Shaw, Stanford) "It means absolutely nothing to me as an evaluator," Shaw said. "I will also never ever, ever have a recruiting conversation with a 7-on-7 coach. I talk to high school coaches, counselors and parents."

I know that you were not seriously asking, but others may find this mildly interesting.

There are two types of 7-on-7: the tournaments and school teams. The school teams are players from a single team, running their scheme with their coaches going against another team. This is an organized practice that try to teach and give the kids a chance to compete. Many coaches don't find this really useful because of the loss of the run game (i.e. LB drops without honoring RPO's or play action).

The tournaments are almost a separate sport and have some of the worst traits from youth sports. I am not a fan, so know that I am biased. I will use the prominent local example. TMPMafia. Start with the name - the coach's initials and a criminal organization with absolutely zero redeeming qualities. I am sure that the coach that named his team really has zero knowledge of the history of the Italian Mafia beyond seeing the Sopranos, the Godfather or Goodfellas. There are plenty of tough names that could have been chosen instead of an organization that uses murder, extortion and criminal activity as it's cornerstone. Second, they detract from the kid's teams (I am sure most coaches on this board can talk about their kids missing team workouts to participate). Third, the kids are asked to learn a new scheme that is only for the 7-on-7 team. That time and effort could be better used. Fourth, these teams travel all over and participation costs $$$. Fifth, the kids don't get coached, so mistakes and bad habits are not coached (this is reported by the kids that I have talked to, not based on my observation). Sixth, these organizations regularly claim credit for kids getting scholarships that had nothing to do with 7-on-7. This is very similar to the recruiting services that did the same thing. They get on social media and create the perception that they actually had something to so with it. Seventh, the coaching quality is unknown. Is TMP a good coach? (I don't know). But I do know that he is a JV coach at a school that is not known for throwing the ball. Eighth, the 7-on-7 culture is about competition. I have seen video of some of the 'games' and it can look like street ball (3-on-3 basketball where no foul is ever called).

...If he's good enough to play in college doesn't matter if he goes to Placer HS or Mater Dei...

Yup, just ask Eddie Vanderdoes or the Capra brothers.

Plus it's so much fun for kids to play football with their friends who they've been playing with for years, under the lights, with their whole town watching. I'm sure it's great and exciting to get recruited and play in college (and beyond) but don't be so focused on that that you don't enjoy all that's special about high school football.

Umm no. They don't.

(David Shaw, Stanford) "It means absolutely nothing to me as an evaluator," Shaw said. "I will also never ever, ever have a recruiting conversation with a 7-on-7 coach. I talk to high school coaches, counselors and parents."

I know that you were not seriously asking, but others may find this mildly interesting.

There are two types of 7-on-7: the tournaments and school teams. The school teams are players from a single team, running their scheme with their coaches going against another team. This is an organized practice that try to teach and give the kids a chance to compete. Many coaches don't find this really useful because of the loss of the run game (i.e. LB drops without honoring RPO's or play action).

The tournaments are almost a separate sport and have some of the worst traits from youth sports. I am not a fan, so know that I am biased. I will use the prominent local example. TMPMafia. Start with the name - the coach's initials and a criminal organization with absolutely zero redeeming qualities. I am sure that the coach that named his team really has zero knowledge of the history of the Italian Mafia beyond seeing the Sopranos, the Godfather or Goodfellas. There are plenty of tough names that could have been chosen instead of an organization that uses murder, extortion and criminal activity as it's cornerstone. Second, they detract from the kid's teams (I am sure most coaches on this board can talk about their kids missing team workouts to participate). Third, the kids are asked to learn a new scheme that is only for the 7-on-7 team. That time and effort could be better used. Fourth, these teams travel all over and participation costs $$$. Fifth, the kids don't get coached, so mistakes and bad habits are not coached (this is reported by the kids that I have talked to, not based on my observation). Sixth, these organizations regularly claim credit for kids getting scholarships that had nothing to do with 7-on-7. This is very similar to the recruiting services that did the same thing. They get on social media and create the perception that they actually had something to so with it. Seventh, the coaching quality is unknown. Is TMP a good coach? (I don't know). But I do know that he is a JV coach at a school that is not known for throwing the ball. Eighth, the 7-on-7 culture is about competition. I have seen video of some of the 'games' and it can look like street ball (3-on-3 basketball where no foul is ever called).

Best post this year. Agree with you.

Last edited:
This is absolutely absurd for several reasons. If I follow your logic, EVERY kid who is capable of playing at a better level of competition should move to a school that offers a better practice environment. In other words, every player capable of earning a scholarship should move to DLS, Pittsburgh, Serra, Bellarmine, Folsom or St. Mary's. AND every player capable of playing JC ball should move to a better high school to get better reps. Of course there is no way for the kid to objectively know with certainty which group he belongs to. He or his parents only need to believe that the kid is capable playing at that higher level. That is a fantastic idea and high school football kids and parents are well-known to have realistic expectations and 100% spot-on with their own self-assessment (sarcasm intended).

Kids who do not start for their HS team generally do not get scholarship offers. Maybe in this new world, the MD or SJB or DLS backups get offers. But riding the pine at a good high school is a great way to ensure anonymity.

No kid can know for certainty that they will get practice reps before they transfer. They cannot even contact the coach before they enroll in the school.

Practice contact is largely eliminated at many schools, and certainly at the best schools. So practice reps are not what they used to be. They certainly are not anything like game conditions when one side is the pre-determined winner.

I actually agree with you on many points but think that IMG, Mater Dei, and maybe Gorman are different monsters. I think players that can compete at that level and choose to do so are the best of the best and are approaching the "game" differently than most student athletes. Mater Dei basically curb stomped everyone they played. I don't see how you can evaluate someone when everyone on one side of the ball is better than everyone on the other side. For those schools practice is where its at. I read in an article that IMG has 2 teams and 30 D1 players. I want to see them battle it out for starting spots or the first squad. Iron sharpens iron.

Reactions: coachlittle
Yup, just ask Eddie Vanderdoes or the Capra brothers.

Plus it's so much fun for kids to play football with their friends who they've been playing with for years, under the lights, with their whole town watching. I'm sure it's great and exciting to get recruited and play in college (and beyond) but don't be so focused on that that you don't enjoy all that's special about high school football.

Other good examples are Noah Myer from Las Lomas and Brady Aiello from Acalanes. Both played at less than stellar high school programs and are currently on full ride scholarships at Washington State and Oregon.

The TMP coach is our JV football head coach. He IS a program guy. He runs our system religiously. And he does a great job coaching our kids.

As far as the 7 on 7 stuff, it doesn't bother me. If our HS teams have a 7 on 7 scrimmage with someone, he runs our stuff and that's all we care about.

I have never been to a 7 on 7 tournament and I probably will never go to one. I know his team has high school and JC position coaches that coach for him so I'm assuming that there is teaching going on.

He does a great job promoting his players on TMP and players from our school when in contact with college recruiters.

Backing what Maui said. TMP actually is a tribute to a family member. T does a very good job with our kids. Very well liked in our school by faculty and students.

He does a great job promoting his players on TMP and players from our school when in contact with college recruiters.

Seems to be a nice guy and all. I don't think the college recruiters are that dumb though.....you think he's going to say bad things about players that pay to be part of the program?

Bigtime opportunity

Agreed. He is a super hard working nice kid. Quiet and focused. Even though I'm not big on his Mom moving him around the way she did, she got him what she wanted for him and I am sure he's stoked to be playing in the Pac12 as his next step.

Agreed. He is a super hard working nice kid. Quiet and focused. Even though I'm not big on his Mom moving him around the way she did, she got him what she wanted for him and I am sure he's stoked to be playing in the Pac12 as his next step.

I'd be willing to bet that the schools that he left would have a different opinion than you. The number of transfers is a sign that not every team saw him as a nice, hard working, quiet and focused kid.

And I would also bet that the Mom had near zero to do with his scholarship. I would also bet that his mom and his repeated moves cost him. He was a LWG kid, so my bet is that Coach O had more to do with his scholarship than anyone. I don't know that for sure, but that is my semi-educated guess.

Ya’ll think his offer happens if he stays in one place? Yup.

I think moving probably wouldn't have mattered at all. He hasn't played a down for MD and already has a scholarship. Good for him!
I'd be willing to bet that the schools that he left would have a different opinion than you. The number of transfers is a sign that not every team saw him as a nice, hard working, quiet and focused kid.

And I would also bet that the Mom had near zero to do with his scholarship. I would also bet that his mom and his repeated moves cost him. He was a LWG kid, so my bet is that Coach O had more to do with his scholarship than anyone. I don't know that for sure, but that is my semi-educated guess.

Never said Mom had anything to do with the scholarship, just that she moved him around to better his situation.....in her eyes. I'm familiar with his situation beyond just rumors. I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
For this reason I think that SoCal is going to rule the State Championship games for the foreseeable future. We’ve already gotten a taste of it the last few seasons in the Open game. DeLaSalle has no chance, nor does anyone else in the North in the Open Championship

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT