ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite to win the norcal D1 Bowl bid

What happend in the CC vs St. Mary's game? Central won 20-7. In my opinion I don't think this is one of CC's better teams, yet they beat St. Mary's by 2 td's. I guess we will see how good CC is on Nov 3rd when Oakdale plays them.
I agree. But I think St Mary's will get it together. Obviously I am bias, so my opinion on who is best will probably be dismissed until it's all played out. Should be fun!

Reactions: bulldogmgc
What happend in the CC vs St. Mary's game? Central won 20-7. In my opinion I don't think this is one of CC's better teams, yet they beat St. Mary's by 2 td's. I guess we will see how good CC is on Nov 3rd when Oakdale plays them.

Two different schemes can’t compare because the matchups are different vs cc the games is more so won or lost at the line of scrimmage where’s spread team it’s more so about match ups just like how sac high can beat folsom but lose to inderkum who runs a wing t

What happened? Turnovers (3 INT's 2 fumbles for St. Mary's to 1 fumble by CC) and way too many penalties by St. Mary's. St. Mary's backup QB, Marcus Aponte, continued struggling passing the ball, which limited the St. Mary's weapons getting the ball. So many holding calls negated so many Rams 1st downs. With the Rams QB struggling, being new in this position (since grade school), the CC defense was successful in focusing and stopping the run. As a result, the Rams offense was at it's worst I have ever seen in a very long time. CC is good, and agree that they are not as good as some prior year CC teams. But, they are well-coached and their gameplan worked perfect vs St. Mary's as they took the risks to match up one on one with St. Mary's WR's knowing Aponte would struggle. Aponte never completed a pass in the first half. That's how bad he was struggling, and sometimes the WR's were wide open but the passes fell short or were overthrown. It was a nightmare for the Rams offense. Considering the turnovers and such, CC should have won by a much bigger score. But, credit the Rams defense who did their best to hold CC within a score and late 2 scores, as the D-line wore down, having to play much time (since the Rams offense did not have much time of possession of the ball).

The St. Mary's Rams and their QB, Marcus Aponte, have made much improvements. If you watch film of the CC game and film of the game vs Mater Dei, where Aponte played 10 times better, despite having a couple of INT's, you will understand where I am coming from.

On 9/8 vs CC, Aponte was 5 of 20 (all 5 completions in the 2nd half) for 105 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT's.
On 9/23 vs MD, Aponte was 19 of 30 for 263 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's. <-- BIG DIFFERENCE, considering MD is the #1 team in country. Interestinly, St. Mary's turned the ball over on its very 1st possession in both of these games due to QB fumble deep in their own territory.

In St. Mary's most recent game, vs Tokay, despite the lack of competition in a 62-0 blowout, Aponte was 5 of 5 for 95 yards and 2 TD's (no INT's). I'd say the nerves have settled and the confidence is there with Aponte throwing the ball. He went from not being able to hit wide open WR's to now being able to connect. Also, he has a couple of more weapons at WR that became eligible over the last couple of weeks. Aponte still has a few more league games to continue building his throwing confidence.

Trust me! St. Mary's is much, much better than how they played vs CC on 9/8. They will be playoff ready and ready to DEFEND their SJS D1 section title. But, it will be one game at a time.

Reactions: future10
Again, I don't mind that Folsom will be the clear-cut favorite going into the SJS D1 playoff. They were the #1 seed and favorite last year, and we all know what happened. Just ask Oak Ridge, too. LOL!

What happened? Turnovers (3 INT's 2 fumbles for St. Mary's to 1 fumble by CC) and way too many penalties by St. Mary's. St. Mary's backup QB, Marcus Aponte, continued struggling passing the ball, which limited the St. Mary's weapons getting the ball. So many holding calls negated so many Rams 1st downs. With the Rams QB struggling, being new in this position (since grade school), the CC defense was successful in focusing and stopping the run. As a result, the Rams offense was at it's worst I have ever seen in a very long time. CC is good, and agree that they are not as good as some prior year CC teams. But, they are well-coached and their gameplan worked perfect vs St. Mary's as they took the risks to match up one on one with St. Mary's WR's knowing Aponte would struggle. Aponte never completed a pass in the first half. That's how bad he was struggling, and sometimes the WR's were wide open but the passes fell short or were overthrown. It was a nightmare for the Rams offense. Considering the turnovers and such, CC should have won by a much bigger score. But, credit the Rams defense who did their best to hold CC within a score and late 2 scores, as the D-line wore down, having to play much time (since the Rams offense did not have much time of possession of the ball).

The St. Mary's Rams and their QB, Marcus Aponte, have made much improvements. If you watch film of the CC game and film of the game vs Mater Dei, where Aponte played 10 times better, despite having a couple of INT's, you will understand where I am coming from.

On 9/8 vs CC, Aponte was 5 of 20 (all 5 completions in the 2nd half) for 105 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT's.
On 9/23 vs MD, Aponte was 19 of 30 for 263 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's. <-- BIG DIFFERENCE, considering MD is the #1 team in country. Interestinly, St. Mary's turned the ball over on its very 1st possession in both of these games due to QB fumble deep in their own territory.

In St. Mary's most recent game, vs Tokay, despite the lack of competition in a 62-0 blowout, Aponte was 5 of 5 for 95 yards and 2 TD's (no INT's). I'd say the nerves have settled and the confidence is there with Aponte throwing the ball. He went from not being able to hit wide open WR's to now being able to connect. Also, he has a couple of more weapons at WR that became eligible over the last couple of weeks. Aponte still has a few more league games to continue building his throwing confidence.

Trust me! St. Mary's is much, much better than how they played vs CC on 9/8. They will be playoff ready and ready to DEFEND their SJS D1 section title. But, it will be one game at a time.

Playing Mater Dei alone should give them a big advantage in section games would could any team in the section throw at St. Mary’s that they already haven’t seen from Mater Dei? Their line is huge their qb is great and they have the best wr in the nation St. Mary’s should feel good about playing any team after them..st Mary’s is a program that could easily win sfl every year

But, please don't interpret my response to say that St. Mary's will beat Folsom like they did last year. The Rams offense is not as good as last year, but they have the potential to be very good (still not as good as last year) and they will present a good match-up with Folsom. Had St. Mary's season starting QB, Noah May, been available, it would not only mean the QB position in good standing, but it would also have allowed Marcus Aponte to play WR, which he did last year and tore up the Folsom defense, alongside RB Dusty Frampton. I am just saying the Rams will provide a good competitive game vs Folsom or any other playoff team for SJS D1, yes, even the top 3 SFL teams. Good luck to all SJS D1 playoff bound teams!

Thanks for the link. Other polls had them closer to the top 50 and Bingham closer to the top 100. However without discussing the accuracy of Calpreps. Let me clarify what I mean by Elite. This in no way means I'm saying Alta was not elite, but I am saying they didn't have the resume to show it.

Other than maybe Utah guys and Grant guys who were tired of the DLS folk crying that Grant was picked over them, nobody considered Alta elite, just like the 2014 Folsom team. They too might have been top 25 nationally, but didn't have the resume to prove it.

The only team Alta beat that is noteworthy at all was Bingham and both those victories were come from behind wins in the 4th quarter. They didn't exactly dominate and for that matter had many close game to opponents not even nationally ranked. My point is a # 12 ranking by Calpreps (highly debatable) and two close wins against Bingham isn't exactly elite. However it was good enough coupled with the rest of Grants schedule for Grant to be chosen over DLS. Had DLS not lost to DBP than it might have been different. Clearly Grant was the right choice that year.

So my point originally was Folsom doesn't need to necessarily schedule elite, but a step up could be good enough in a year like this year to get the Open over DLS since they already lost and lost badly. I'm still not convinced the CIF would not go with Folsom over DLS this year; however that is wishful thinking on my part. DLS already was exposed this year badly and I would rather see an unknown battle one the SoCal big dogs. Unless DLS suddenly develops a passing game and develops a better pass defense, I don't think going against a M.D. will go well for them.

This is not going to be a good year for NorCal in the bowl games, and whoever is in the Open will get boatraced.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing my Bulldogs get picked. I think it would be a great honor. Also, to play the top team from SoCal would be a great measuring stick to see where we are truly at, even in a loss. I think it's a positive thing, although I still think DLS gets picked.

I may have some high hopes for St. Mary's. Witnessing their game against West this past Friday, IMHO, the Rams played very sloppy again with too many penalties and just bad play, despite a 50-6 victory. It was play on offense like that vs Central Catholic, only, not the many turnovers. This week the Rams host their final home regular season game vs Tracy (also, homecoming). If the Rams do not play better vs Tracy, my hopes may be too high in regards to how deep they go into the playoffs. Still, there is much potential and still 3 more regular season games to fine-tune the offense.

Reactions: ChrisRScoreMan
I may have some high hopes for St. Mary's. Witnessing their game against West this past Friday, IMHO, the Rams played very sloppy again with too many penalties and just bad play, despite a 50-6 victory. It was play on offense like that vs Central Catholic, only, not the many turnovers. This week the Rams host their final home regular season game vs Tracy (also, homecoming). If the Rams do not play better vs Tracy, my hopes may be too high in regards to how deep they go into the playoffs. Still, there is much potential and still 3 more regular season games to fine-tune the offense.
Still hoping for that St Mary's Folsom match up. Private versus public!

Might happen since dls lost already and they put a sjs team over dls before in the open game so they could do it again...it’ll be good to see Folsom play 1 of so cals top 3 teams since they are 1 of norcals top 3...
I don’t think DLS will be penalized for losing to Bishop Gorman. It would have to be a team from NorCal for that to matter

St. Mary's played much better vs Tracy on Friday, in a 42-14 victory. Seems that they play up when they need to. Next week Tracy plays Lincoln for what should amount to winner finishing 2nd in TCAL league. However, if Lincoln can win convincingly vs Tracy, I am pretty sure the will be quite confident that this year is the year Lincoln puts a stop to the losing streak vs St. Mary's. However, I call it wishful thinking.

St. Mary's will finish the season 10-2 and will either get the 3rd or 4th seed, even though IMHO, they really should be seeded #2. I believe much will depend on the upcoming Central Catholic's vs Oakdale result. Aponte played well vs Tracy, but he can still get better. St. Mary's defense is legit, especially if #22 Tre Jenkins stays healthy. It's still sad that we will not really know how good this year's St. Mary's team could have been had their #1 QB Noah May not injured his collar bone. Still, the Rams will be ready for the playoff. It's still one game at a time.

Let's see get picked to play in open game play a nationally ranked top 5 team. Get to play in D1 bracket get to play one of Socals top 5-10 team. Sad truth here is Socal will probably have 4 teams ranked top 25 in the nation and only 1 will play for a state title.

Reactions: nascar624
Let's see get picked to play in open game play a nationally ranked top 5 team. Get to play in D1 bracket get to play one of Socals top 5-10 team. Sad truth here is Socal will probably have 4 teams ranked top 25 in the nation and only 1 will play for a state title.
This is so true and the only reason that NorCal will maybe have a shot at being competitive in the D1 game. If we had to play SoCal #2 in D1, it would be a slaughter

Socal needs to revamp their system if they want balance. Comparing NorCal teams and our system to theirs is pointless. Way less teams. Different make up. Far less population.

If they want to send their 2-5 teams packing without shot at another game, that's their prerogative. But our system is a good reflection to a match up with how they do things.

Maybe we should just eliminate north and south. Have one open division regardless of enrollment, and have at it. That would make everyone happy and eliminate the haterade right? We can go back to how the State of Indiana did their HS basketball playoff tournament in the 50s! Makes sense!

Go NorCal!

Last edited:
Sad truth here is Socal will probably have 4 teams ranked top 25 in the nation and only 1 will play for a state title.

I don’t know why more than 1 SoCal team should be playing for the opportunity to be considered the best in the state. There are already too many teams playing in “state title” games.

I don’t know why more than 1 SoCal team should be playing for the opportunity to be considered the best in the state. There are already too many teams playing in “state title” games.

I agree. To me there is way to many state champs. When they expanded the number of teams it became more like participation awards than a champion. The population arguement I get to a degree but with more people and quality programs it becomes much harder to build a DLS, Folsom, Etc.....because there are so many programs.

CIF has added these games for money. If we want true Champs create a state wide open bracket and play it out. CIF can pay the travel costs. Then do same for D1, D2, etc...... ( and losers would never advance)

CIF should just take the top 104 from the north and 104 from the the south and play their 13 divisions.
For example open state playoff would look like this

North. South
Folsom. MD
DLS. CC
Pittsburg. SJB
Oak Ridge. JSERRA
SRV. Chaminade
Central (cs). MV
Central Catholic. SM
St Mary’s. Upland

This would be a true state championship.who of us doesn’t want to see a north bracket like this.

D1 would be just as good

North. South
Granite Bay. RC
Jesuit. Mission Hills(sds)
Clovis West. Servite
Serra. San Clemente
Tulare Union. OLU
Valley Christian. LBP
Oakdale Helix
Milpitas. Valencia

This way teams in D13 will be quality teams as well

North. South
Woodcreek. Crenshaw
Colfax. Damien
Ridgeview. Great Oak
East Nicolaus. Gahr
Nevada Union. Colony
Independence. Palos Verde
Granada. Crescenta Valley
North Gate. Glendora

Sections will then be able to run their playoffs there are plenty of teams left and imo would be more enjoyable to watch because of more competitive games

Reactions: aztecpadre
CIF should just take the top 104 from the north and 104 from the the south and play their 13 divisions.
For example open state playoff would look like this

North. South
Folsom. MD
DLS. CC
Pittsburg. SJB
Oak Ridge. JSERRA
SRV. Chaminade
Central (cs). MV
Central Catholic. SM
St Mary’s. Upland

This would be a true state championship.who of us doesn’t want to see a north bracket like this.

D1 would be just as good

North. South
Granite Bay. RC
Jesuit. Mission Hills(sds)
Clovis West. Servite
Serra. San Clemente
Tulare Union. OLU
Valley Christian. LBP
Oakdale Helix
Milpitas. Valencia

This way teams in D13 will be quality teams as well

North. South
Woodcreek. Crenshaw
Colfax. Damien
Ridgeview. Great Oak
East Nicolaus. Gahr
Nevada Union. Colony
Independence. Palos Verde
Granada. Crescenta Valley
North Gate. Glendora

Sections will then be able to run their playoffs there are plenty of teams left and imo would be more enjoyable to watch because of more competitive games
Just go with what other states do in certain sports if you want to have the whole "open fantasy." Just separate the State into two divisions. Public and private. Two state championships, equally important. You could even have the two play eachother for the official state title game.

Works for me.

Just go with what other states do in certain sports if you want to have the whole "open fantasy." Just separate the State into two divisions. Public and private. Two state championships, equally important. You could even have the two play eachother for the official state title game.

Works for me.
Disagree. There are public's out there just as good as the best privates and many publics better than many privates. Private doesn't always equate to elite and Public doesn't always equate to a lesser team than private. Of all the privates out there, only a few are elite. Having public's play them adds competition. If we separated them it would not be a competitive atmosphere for the best privates. In NorCal, DLS is the only Private considered elite. CC and St. Mary's are excellent private schools, but pretty sure Folsom who is public would beat both. So why eliminate the competitive atmosphere?

Reactions: aztecpadre
There are public's out there just as good as the best privates and many publics better than many privates.
Agreed. But is that representative of the entire state because 2 or 3 publics would have a fighting chance against most private elites? No. That's my point.

2 or 3 publics??? Maybe only 2 or 3 public's can compete with the 2 or 3 elite privates we have, but beyond that, we don't have a number of elite private schools, we do have a number of very good privates and a lot of not so good. Take SJS alone. The most consistent privates in that section is CC AND St. Mary's. Every year there are a number of SJS public's who can compete with those schools. Make those privates play only privates and it eliminates a lot of potential competition for those schools.

Other than DLS in NorCal, what other private is elite that a lot of the good public's can't compete with? I can't think of any. Sure the WCAL usually has some decent ones, but again none of them are elite and there are also a number of good public's who can compete with those privates as well.

2 or 3 publics??? Maybe only 2 or 3 public's can compete with the 2 or 3 elite privates we have, but beyond that, we don't have a number of elite private schools, we do have a number of very good privates and a lot of not so good. Take SJS alone. The most consistent privates in that section is CC AND St. Mary's. Every year there are a number of SJS public's who can compete with those schools. Make those privates play only privates and it eliminates a lot of potential competition for those schools.

Other than DLS in NorCal, what other private is elite that a lot of the good public's can't compete with? I can't think of any. Sure the WCAL usually has some decent ones, but again none of them are elite and there are also a number of good public's who can compete with those privates as well.
So what do you propose? One bracket, one open division, for everyone and we all slug it out? Or work out some competitive equity in divisions like we have? I think we are on the right track, although the system is ever evolving.

So what do you propose? One bracket, one open division, for everyone and we all slug it out? Or work out some competitive equity in divisions like we have? I think we are on the right track, although the system is ever evolving.
I think I kind of covered this in another response to you in a different thread, but keep holding out hope that one day the CIF will have actual state tournament divided by divisions which would require some serious concessions from the sections in how they set up their playoffs. Probably would never happen, but doesn't hurt to wish lol.

I like how the SJS currently has their parity set. Although I feel Oakdale should be in Div 2 with CC as those 2 schools battle it out every year and are very close competitively.

Reactions: ChrisRScoreGuy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT