ADVERTISEMENT

Galileo Lions Take 6A Title

Some things coming out of this game:

Vincent Memorial's star QB hurts his shoulder making a tackle in the 2nd quarter after throwing an interception. That may have hurt Vincent Memorial offensively

The key thing was after falling behind 14-8 at halftime, Galileo roared out with a 24-0 3rd quarter that basically put the game away.

Glad the Lions won and brought home another state title for the AAA.

AAA football is down (both in talent and participation) in recent years. Maybe Galileo's win will spark some interest again.

Overall, in the AAA, I think the competitive equity model may spark schools / coaches and players to look beyond just "wining the AAA title" in all the major sports that participate in the CIF State playoffs.

In basketball, I know some coaches were happy to win the AAA and the CIF NorCal games were just gravy. Now, there's a chance the games will mean something because you may be able to win and advance.

Galileo's run does not compare to Mission's in hoops. Mission proved to be legit but beating down some of the better teams in Northern California.

I honestly dont think Galileo could have won the PAL lake if they tried.

Galileo's run does not compare to Mission's in hoops. Mission proved to be legit but beating down some of the better teams in Northern California.

Agree. The AAA is indeed a PAL Lake Division clone.

And i didn't compare Galileo to Mission's hoops team. Nor did I compete Lincoln's girls volleyball team run to mission (girls lost anyway)

My point is for as long as the AAA in general is that the teams will have a better chance to compete as long as the equity model is in place and the AAA squads are are teams more to their level.

The Lowell and Lincoln girls voelleyball teams competed and Galileo Football did their thing.

Also all this league comparison is somewhat pointless. Galileos not going to play in the Pal and other teams aren't going to play in the AAA. As an AAA alum (non major sports) I'm aware of what people think of the AAA.

I just shrug my shoulders and say "ok" and move on.

Vincent Memorial's star QB hurts his shoulder making a tackle in the 2nd quarter after throwing an interception. That may have hurt Vincent Memorial offensively

Poor coaching and personnel decision! This ain’t 1950’s, what moron has his QB playing both way???

Reactions: ncscalfootball
PAL Lake is an AAA clone..lol They were around way before the PAL all together :)

Im from The City. Born and Raised in San Francisco. Played ball in the PAL.

Yes, the City League was around far earlier. Unfortunately, the AAA is still stuck in the stone age. Have you been to a AAA game lately? Coaches wear headsets made of tin cans and string. Kids wear air helmets. Playing under the lights is a treat to those kids.

A few years back I counted the number of SF kids in the NFL and the numbers were shocking.

Stevie Johnson, Dion Jordan, Donald Strickland, Eric Wright, Igor Olshansky, TJ Ward, Terron Ward, Devier Posey, Shayne Skov, McLeod Bethel-Thompson...lots other im forgetting right now. That list got up to 20 if im recalling correctly.

Yet most of those guys played ball out of the area or in The WCAL. Other than Bethel-Thompson there hasnt been a kid make it out of the AAA in ages. There's tons of talent in the City. Unfortunately, the AAA doesnt take care of its players.

Poor coaching and personnel decision! This ain’t 1950’s, what moron has his QB playing both way???

My best friend is a HC at the high school level and his QB went both ways. When you have 25 kids in your program and no frosh or JV programs your options are limited.

Yes, the City League was around far earlier. Unfortunately, the AAA is still stuck in the stone age. Have you been to a AAA game lately? Coaches wear headsets made of tin cans and string. Kids wear air helmets. Playing under the lights is a treat to those kids.

A few years back I counted the number of SF kids in the NFL and the numbers were shocking.

Stevie Johnson, Dion Jordan, Donald Strickland, Eric Wright, Igor Olshansky, TJ Ward, Terron Ward, Devier Posey, Shayne Skov, McLeod Bethel-Thompson...lots other im forgetting right now. That list got up to 20 if im recalling correctly.

Yet most of those guys played ball out of the area or in The WCAL. Other than Bethel-Thompson there hasnt been a kid make it out of the AAA in ages. There's tons of talent in the City. Unfortunately, the AAA doesnt take care of its players.

Born and raised in the city as well, all of my older sisters went to Poly in '69, '70, '71, & '72. I would have went but it closed and McAteer was opened. I may have came a bit before you. I played football and ran track with the Wards, dad Terrell, who came out of Woodrow Wilson the AAA (when it was open) and watched sons & daughter all great athletes Herb Ward-Balboa, Mike Norris Balboa & Poly pitched in the majors, Wilson Faumuina RIP-Balboa All-Falcons 1977-81 Lewis Nelson-Balboa:Oak Raiders, Gill Byrd Lowell High School 78 SD Charger, I can go on and on I know some that I keep in contact with now that were in the NBA, NFL, & MLB. Yes I've seen how the AAA has gone down hill. I played in the early to mid 70's and all of our non-league games were night games but the league games were after school, so it was nice play at night, day games were good too. The league was strong up until the mid 80's when it started you really go down hill. In '77 Balboa with the No. 1 team in the bay area above all NCS & CCS school. It's goes and comes in cycles. I remember in 1974 we played Richmond High, in 1974 they were ranked No. 2 in California and tops in the bay area. Demographics as well as the high cost if living, and lower prices on homes in the suburbs, more people moving to the east bay, Fairfield, Antioch, Sacramento and so on more and more families moved away and the city's was a major part of the fall off of the Academic Athletic Association.

Last edited:
I dont even think they're that to be honest. I dont think Galileo could beat any of the top 3 in the Lake (Jefferson, Carlmont or San Mateo).
Mission beat Jefferson in preseason (but they did lose to San Mateo). I agree, AAA football was down this year. The irony, Galileo played their best ball and went on nice win streak

Last edited:
However, what you are also seeing is a reverse trend in The City. The high cost of private education and improved test scores for SFUSD is giving parents an option to send their kids to AAA schools. Ten years ago, the best athletes in AAA were finding themselves "miraculously" enrolled in WCAL schools by junior year. There is now a trend of kids leaving WCAL schools and enrolling in AAA schools taking advantage of preferred placement in UC system.

Apples and oranges comparing AAA football Galileo with Mission basketball.

Not taking away anything from Galileo, because they beat the teams in front of them. They simply outcoached a more athletic Mission football team and made most of running talent to win 2 more games. Congrats to Lions.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
However, what you are also seeing is a reverse trend in The City. The high cost of private education and improved test scores for SFUSD is giving parents an option to send their kids to AAA schools. Ten years ago, the best athletes in AAA were finding themselves "miraculously" enrolled in WCAL schools by junior year. There is now a trend of kids leaving WCAL schools and enrolling in AAA schools taking advantage of preferred placement in UC system.

That is very interesting perspective. If such a trend persists, it would bode well for those AAA public schools. However, there isn't much question that the creation of the WCAL in 1967, with SI joining the new league and SH doing the same shortly after that, was a blow to the AAA and its future. Serious athletes who live in San Francisco probably will continue to head toward WCAL schools if the AAA doesn't improve dramatically.

Mission beat Jefferson in preseason (but they did lose to San Mateo). I agree, AAA football was down this year. The irony, Galileo played their best ball and went on nice win streak

AAA was 2-2 vs. PAL Lake Division in 2017. Lincoln beat El Camino, 14-13, and lost to Carlmont, 43-0. Mission beat Jefferson, 30-14, and lost to San Mateo, 16-6. In general, the AAA is definitely on par with the Lake Division.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271

You had to have seen Jefferson vs. Mission and then Jefferson vs. Tennyson to understand why they lost week 1. They played 3 skill players on the OL due to injury week 1. If they have as much as some back up offensive linemen week 1 I think the game isnt even close. Not only did Mission lose to San Mateo, Jefferson beat San Mateo who had one of the better lines in the PAL. If Jeff comes in healthy I dont think Mission comes within 2 possesions.

I think the way I wrote the comment was the way it was written in some report somewhere. However, my interpretation was that the QB tried to tackle someone AFTER he threw the interception (on the same play) versus the QB playing both ways. Surprise no one commented on that.

I think the way I wrote the comment was the way it was written in some report somewhere. However, my interpretation was that the QB tried to tackle someone AFTER he threw the interception (on the same play) versus the QB playing both ways. Surprise no one commented on that.

That makes much more sense. Yeah you have to put your best athletes out there, but I don’t think the risk reward of having a QB on defense is worth it anymore.

That makes much more sense. Yeah you have to put your best athletes out there, but I don’t think the risk reward of having a QB on defense is worth it anymore.

True - Galileo wouldn't have played their QB on defense....since their QB was 5'3"! :)

DL

AAA players in the NFL? I'm surprised you guys missed one guy, especially since he was from Galileo: Lenny Walls! His brother Kenny Walls played hoops at Boston College.
One of the twins, Lenny & Kenny. Yep Lenny played for Ravens & Denver. I remember them playing basketball at Gal.

That is very interesting perspective. If such a trend persists, it would bode well for those AAA public schools. However, there isn't much question that the creation of the WCAL in 1967, with SI joining the new league and SH doing the same shortly after that, was a blow to the AAA and its future. Serious athletes who live in San Francisco probably will continue to head toward WCAL schools if the AAA doesn't improve dramatically.
I do not disagree with you. However, sometimes the decision is based on finances and other parameters.

You had to have seen Jefferson vs. Mission and then Jefferson vs. Tennyson to understand why they lost week 1. They played 3 skill players on the OL due to injury week 1. If they have as much as some back up offensive linemen week 1 I think the game isnt even close. Not only did Mission lose to San Mateo, Jefferson beat San Mateo who had one of the better lines in the PAL. If Jeff comes in healthy I dont think Mission comes within 2 possesions.
Lot of ifs, that's why they play the game. Question, who won Lake division this year and how they do in CCS?

Reactions: GWAAA44
Jefferson was the 2017 PAL Lake Division titlist. Jeff was routed by Menlo School, 35-8, in the CCS Division V opening round. Menlo was the champion of the PAL Ocean Division, a B league; the Lake is a C league. Only Jeff qualified for the CCS playoffs from the Lake. The other five teams were shut out of the post-season.

Even with some legitimate skepticism about a weak AAA team getting a pass directly into a NorCal regional game in 2017 (which probably won't be repeated in the future), at least it gives that league another needed shot in the arm. And that can't really be a bad thing when you're talking about urban kids who rarely see that sort of athletic environment. So good for them.

Even with some legitimate skepticism about a weak AAA team getting a pass directly into a NorCal regional game in 2017 (which probably won't be repeated in the future), at least it gives that league another needed shot in the arm. And that can't really be a bad thing when you're talking about urban kids who rarely see that sort of athletic environment. So good for them.

I understsnd your point, but there are “urban kids” all through California that still have to go through real section playoffs to get a shot at a regional game. Why make exceptions just for kids within the city limits of San Francisco and Oakland?

I understsnd your point, but there are “urban kids” all through California that still have to go through real section playoffs to get a shot at a regional game. Why make exceptions just for kids within the city limits of San Francisco and Oakland?

You are absolutely correct. No argument whatsoever. But it was what it was. No going back. So we live with it. But probably won't happen again anytime soon.

The Galileo Teams of the late 80’s & early 90’s, those teams that won 3 and 4 Peat Turkey Day Titles, if State Championships were available then, those G-House Teams would have brought State Ships back to the City. A long time coming and it’s in good taste or it is very befitting that Galileo would be the first AAA High School Football Team to accomplish this feat! Congrats Lions!!

Until told otherwise, Oakland and SF are still "real sections" whether you like it or not. All this constant commenting is pointless. No one here is going to be able to address your perceived problem. Moving on to basketball now.

Until told otherwise, Oakland and SF are still "real sections" whether you like it or not. All this constant commenting is pointless. No one here is going to be able to address your perceived problem. Moving on to basketball now.

I responded to one post’s very specific point, no need to get your panties in a wad. Now run along.

The Galileo Teams of the late 80’s & early 90’s, those teams that won 3 and 4 Peat Turkey Day Titles, if State Championships were available then, those G-House Teams would have brought State Ships back to the City. A long time coming and it’s in good taste or it is very befitting that Galileo would be the first AAA High School Football Team to accomplish this feat! Congrats Lions!!

Meh...sounds like a City League guy lol. Typical jargon.

"But we played on T-Day tho" lmfao

You are absolutely correct. No argument whatsoever. But it was what it was. No going back. So we live with it. But probably won't happen again anytime soon.
Meh...sounds like a City League guy lol. Typical jargon.

"But we played on T-Day tho" lmfao
The AAA Football Champion back in the day wasn’t even given a chance to go any further than the AAA Championship. And Fo Dam Sho I’m a City League Guy, Bread & Fed!!! Lol

Those late 80’s early 90’s Lions teams were good. Think Peoples (?) was the QB on the earlier teams. Those teams and Beams 80’s-90’s Skyline teams were very legit.

The AAA Football Champion back in the day wasn’t even given a chance to go any further than the AAA Championship. And Fo Dam Sho I’m a City League Guy, Bread & Fed!!! Lol

Ah, but it the AAA were part of the Central Coast Section as many propose, the SF champion would have been part of a much bigger playoff picture for many decades. Of course, that's pie-in-the-sky stuff and had (and has) no chance of happening.

Yeah, that's definitely a Dream. I would suggest if SF remains a Section, just combine all the SF High School Teams and put them under one umbrella, yes, even the SF based Catholic Schools too. This is Absolutely not just a Dream, but a Delusion lol

This makes too much sense, I think. The AAA before the split in the late 60's, I'm told was really good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT