ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: De La Salle vs. Mater Dei

De La Salle fumbles on the opening drive to halt any slim momentum they held. Four turnovers for DLS

Think they gave DLS a gift and gave them the ball back. Clearly a fumble. And like that it doesn’t matter. DLS or any HS team would have to play the perfect game to remotely have a chance at the upset.

Been rooting for the Stache to get a SBG title, so liking this so far.

Last edited:
Daniels to Bru McCoy for 2 yards to make it 38-14 Mater Dei with 1001 left Q3

JT Daniels avoids the sack and runs 40 yards for a TD. Mater Dei leads 45-14 with 445 left in Q3.

DLS trying hard not to get into running clock. Mater Dei leads 45-21 with 0:42 left Q3.

Spartans had backups in on the last scoring drive

Hale has looked the best of the three QBs tonight

Might as well begin the quest for next season tonight. Many of the starters are juniors. The 2 junior QB's have now had 2 seasons to improve their game and they have been running in place during that time. At 14 years Hale at least knows where his recievers are and how to get the ball to them.

[QUOTE="bella123, post: 185808, member: 296"

Been rooting for the Stache to get a SBG title, so liking this so far.

Some speculation on one of the SoCal boards that this may be Rolly's last season with the win.
Good way to go out with so many #1's to his resume this year

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/1...nal-game-for-mater-dei-coach-bruce-rollinson/[/QUOTE]

Yeah would make sense to go out on top. And Matt Logan returning to MD rumors would start to fly :)

Mater Dei wins 52-21 to win its first CIF state bowl title. Impressive group that rivals the 13 Bosco team has best ever from the state bowl era (starting in 2006)

I think it is now 11 turnovers the last two years for DLS in the Open game. Number probably needed to be 1 or 2 to have a chance this past two seasons

This year it seemed worse. They didn't look like Spartans at any phase of the game.

This year it seemed worse. They didn't look like Spartans at any phase of the game.

They seemed flustered from the start. Last year they went punch for punch early even though most everyone knew they couldn't keep it up. Program is at a crossroads in terms of national standing. Trend of super teams in SoCal and around the country isn't going to end.

They seemed flustered from the start. Last year they went punch for punch early even though most everyone knew they couldn't keep it up. Program is at a crossroads in terms of national standing. Trend of super teams in SoCal and around the country isn't going to end.

Agree

I hope DLS doesn’t change a thing about their program to “keep up with jones’” though

8 fumbles.
Horrible pass for an Interception that goes for a touchdown.
#13 gives up 2 touchdowns. Can’t cover anybody and I don’t care if he was covering one of the top wide receiver recruits in high school football. He needs a lot more coaching to be effective at his position.
Horrible snap on a 4th down play. Kicker cannot handle the football. MD recovers and scores a touchdown on next set of plays.
2 Junior Quarterbacks need to find new positions on the team, but each one first needs to put on about 40 pounds. If they were any skinnier they would disappear on the field. The best spot for them next year is as far away as possible from the Quarterback position.
Move Freshman Quarterback into the starting role next year. He can at least throw the football.
DLS looked like a Pee Wee football team given all the mistakes they committed in the game. It was an embarrassing display of football considering the historical reputation of the team.

Finally, Kairee Robinson is a stud.

8 fumbles.
Horrible pass for an Interception that goes for a touchdown.
#13 gives up 2 touchdowns. Can’t cover anybody and I don’t care if he was covering one of the top wide receiver recruits in high school football. He needs a lot more coaching to be effective at his position.
Horrible snap on a 4th down play. Kicker cannot handle the football. MD recovers and scores a touchdown on next set of plays.
2 Junior Quarterbacks need to find new positions on the team, but each one first needs to put on about 40 pounds. If they were any skinnier they would disappear on the field. The best spot for them next year is as far away as possible from the Quarterback position.
Move Freshman Quarterback into the starting role next year. He can at least throw the football.
DLS looked like a Pee Wee football team given all the mistakes they committed in the game. It was an embarrassing display of football considering the historical reputation of the team.

Finally, Kairee Robinson is a stud.
I brought up the talent level a few years back when they went to Texas to play Trinity. I said the decline of talent in certain positions will hurt them against elite programs. Most here thought I was crazy but now they're starting to see. Coaching matters but so does talent. Coaching can only go so far when the coach of the other team can match your wit with more talent. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: DelValleTrojan
I brought up the talent level a few years back when they went to Texas to play Trinity. I said the decline of talent in certain positions will hurt them against elite programs. Most here thought I was crazy but now they're starting to see. Coaching matters but so does talent. Coaching can only go so far when the coach of the other team can match your wit with more talent. It's not rocket science.
Look at schools in the Bay Area in general. Enrollment is down. Almost everywhere. Look at the WCAL this year. DLS was down. I understand everything is cyclical, but it appears things are changing fast. I understand people will get offended by this, but it is suppoted by facts.

Agree

I hope DLS doesn’t change a thing about their program to “keep up with jones’” though
Dought they will. They have a great program with a great history that will attract kids no matter what. I still don't think they will ever be what they were, but they will always be great in NorCal. Much respect.

OPEN
Mater Dei 45 De La Salle 35

Division 1-AA
Folsom 55 Helix 28

Division 1-A
Pittsburg 24 Norbonne 21

Division 2-AA
Serra 31 Cajon 28

Division 2-A
St. Francis 35 Grace Brethren 21

Division 3-AA

Bishop Diego 35 Shasta 28

Division 3-A
Half Moon Bay vs Steele Canyon
Good luck to HMB. They have a real shot.

Division 4-AA
Placer 27 Crenshaw 22
Placer better coaching/"The Shaw" whole lotta of speed.
Better coaching wins this game.

Division 4-A
Milpitas 21 Southwest EC 20

Division 5-AA
McClymonds 30 Golden West 29

Division 5-A
Fortuna 27 Katella 12

Division 6-AA
Strathmore 21 Orange 14

Division 6-A

Vincent Memorial 33 Galileo 20

So Junkie either you can't add or you didn't pick all the games . I'll pick the first choice
Hey H.E.A.T, either you assume things which makes and a$$ out of you are you jump to conclusion without doing your due diligence. I'll pick both choices.

Once again just for you H.E.A.T.. SoCal has 5 State Champions (Mater Dei, Crenshaw, Narbonne, Steele Canyon and Bishop Diego). NorCal has 8 State Champions (Galileo, Strathmore, Fortuna, McClymonds, Milpitas, Serra, St. Francis and Folsom).

As you can see from The Junkie's predictions he did not predict the Half Moon Bay vs Steele Canyon game. So without that game The Junkie won 9 and lost 3. The Junkie predicted (Strathmore, Fortuna, McClymonds, Milpitas, Serra, St. Francis, Folsom, Mater Dei and Bishop Diego) to win. The Junkie also predicted (Vincent Memorial, Placer and Pittsburg) to win in which they lost. Hope that helps you with your addition or arithmetic.

The Junkie

MD is basically a Socal all star team picking form the largest population base in the country. The big difference for them is that O line has had a lot of snaps together and they are the glue. #75 Brown might be the biggest HS kid I've seen and he's flat out talented. Not sure I've seen a better team play at the HS level.

DLS didn't play well and hopefully the chatter will quiet about how much they recruit. I saw a handful of kids on that team that would struggle to get time on teams in the SFL or WCAL. Robinson is a gamer. SJ State got a good one.

Was this the worse loss in the modern DLS era? Say in the last 25 years?

And there lies the problem with DLS. If they can't get the DJ Williams (Sacramento), Amani Toomer (Berkeley), Maurice Jones-Drew (Oakland), Jackie Bates (Sacramento), Terrence Kelly (Richmond), Cameron Colvin (Pittsburg), TJ Ward (Antioch), T.J. Carrie (Antioch), Michael Hutchings (Antioch), Terron Ward, (Hunters point SF), Boss Tagaloa (Pittsburg), Antoine Custer (Berkeley), and so on and so on. They will have a problem beating the Nations top programs.

And there lies the problem with DLS. If they can't get the DJ Williams (Sacramento), Amani Toomer (Berkeley), Maurice Jones-Drew (Oakland), Jackie Bates (Sacramento), Terrence Kelly (Richmond), Cameron Colvin (Pittsburg), TJ Ward (Antioch), T.J. Carrie (Antioch), Michael Hutchings (Antioch), Terron Ward, (Hunters point SF), Boss Tagaloa (Pittsburg), Antoine Custer (Berkeley), and so on and so on. They will have a problem beating the Nations top programs.
All top programs get players from everywhere, to include publics now. I think your point was good 20 years ago. But this is now the new norm. The whole homegrown players argument is old. Homegrown doesn't generally exist anymore.

All top programs get players from everywhere, to include publics now. I think your point was good 20 years ago. But this is now the new norm. The whole homegrown players argument is old. Homegrown doesn't generally exist anymore.

I agree with most of what you said I don’t like the route it’s going it’ll be nice to see teams win with their own talent but so cal is 10 steps ahead of our systems up north I guess they need to keep up with the rest of the nation they even gotta compete to keep their players away from Bishop Gorman. At this point they should just allow open transfers to public’s in nor cal. We need a couple dominate programs that can compete on a national level the fact that dls haven’t lost to a nor cal team in 20 years and go out there against Mater Dei and Bosco in back to back years and look like they shouldn’t even be on the same field is sad for nor cal. Dls has a couple good studs but they clearly don’t “recruit” like many think

I agree with most of what you said I don’t like the route it’s going it’ll be nice to see teams win with their own talent but so cal is 10 steps ahead of our systems up north I guess they need to keep up with the rest of the nation they even gotta compete to keep their players away from Bishop Gorman. At this point they should just allow open transfers to public’s in nor cal. We need a couple dominate programs that can compete on a national level the fact that dls haven’t lost to a nor cal team in 20 years and go out there against Mater Dei and Bosco in back to back years and look like they shouldn’t even be on the same field is sad for nor cal. Dls has a couple good studs but they clearly don’t “recruit” like many think
I think we are doing just fine. DLS and Folsom are nationally ranked and in the top 10 in all of CA. I don't think we should compare ourselves to socal due to the population sizes and various other factors. We are doing just fine IMHO.

But I get your point. Our teams did well, all considering, in the bowl games.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Dought they will. They have a great program with a great history that will attract kids no matter what. I still don't think they will ever be what they were, but they will always be great in NorCal. Much respect.

I’m not so sure they won’t be what they were as much as they will just get left behind by a few teams — I don’t honk there’s more than a dozen or so teams in the country that have the will and the means to play this emerging academy all-star game

No one was from Sacramento and MJD from Antioch not Oakland

These kids are from the same area that DLS pulls their parochial students from — Piittsburg, Antioch, and Hercules (where DJ Williams moved prior to the start of Hs) are all closer to DLS than the kids of their largest parochial feeder

Reactions: concrete17
I’m not so sure they won’t be what they were as much as they will just get left behind by a few teams — I don’t honk there’s more than a dozen or so teams in the country that have the will and the means to play this emerging academy all-star game
Good points. Although there is a public school that seems to be closing the gap. Especially in next year's team. Hope they play. Would be a big honor!

MD is basically a Socal all star team picking form the largest population base in the country. The big difference for them is that O line has had a lot of snaps together and they are the glue. #75 Brown might be the biggest HS kid I've seen and he's flat out talented. Not sure I've seen a better team play at the HS level.

DLS didn't play well and hopefully the chatter will quiet about how much they recruit. I saw a handful of kids on that team that would struggle to get time on teams in the SFL or WCAL. Robinson is a gamer. SJ State got a good one.

Was this the worse loss in the modern DLS era? Say in the last 25 years?

Yes, worst losses since ‘91

31 Md ‘17 SBG
27 BG ‘17
24 DBP ‘09
24 STA ‘11
22 SJB ‘15 SBG
19 Bellevue ‘04
18 Clovis West ‘04
14 Canyon ‘06 SBG
10 Mission Viejo ‘05

The other losses were all 7 or less

MD has guys transferring in from other major parochial HS programs like Santa Margarita, SJB, etc on a yearly basis. How many DlS kids have transferred into there program Jr or Sr year from another private/public within the same area? The thing in s cal is far ahead like somebody said. But honestly North should be proud. We did very well in a lot of the bigger games. I mean Folsom, St Francis, Serra win and poor Pitt laid an egg after 21-0. So I'm not pressing any panic button.

MD has guys transferring in from other major parochial HS programs like Santa Margarita, SJB, etc on a yearly basis. How many DlS kids have transferred into there program Jr or Sr year from another private/public within the same area? The thing in s cal is far ahead like somebody said. But honestly North should be proud. We did very well in a lot of the bigger games. I mean Folsom, St Francis, Serra win and poor Pitt laid an egg after 21-0. So I'm not pressing any panic button.
Larry what's your opinion on Folsom versus DLS this year and next based on what you saw at the state bowl games?

At this point they should just allow open transfers to public’s in nor cal.

I believe this is now allowed under the new CIF rules, without any penalty (i.e. sit out a year) to the student. Students can't "follow a coach" and schools still can't recruit, but they can opt to go to a better program for athletic reasons. The sheer number of students they have and the common practice of "redshirting" in SoCal opens up the possibility for some ridiculously dominant teams.

I would guess most of the Fresh on MD roster are 15 years old and some could be turning 16 in the spring/summer. Back when I played you were 16 in Jr year and 17 in senior. Not 18 or graduating at 19.
Whereas you have a true 14 year kid on DLS playing QB.

I ain't Larry but if DLS played that sloppy of a game vs Folsom this year, there's a good chance they would have lost.

Next year is Folsom's window to make it's case to play in the Open game. DLS just had two blowout losses in the Open, Folsom's team is mostly underclassmen and will be lights out next year. If they can schedule an out of league game with a national top 25 team (SJB, Centennial), win that game, and run the table, I think the commissioners would have no choice but to throw them a bone next year and put them in the Open.

Reactions: thekingera
You guys that think. Folsom is truly a national top100 team and a State top 10 team ....are delusional.
Fact is, if Folsom played a schedule befitting a top 100 team, they would have 3-4 losses and would not be ranked.

DLS is better than Folsom, but DLS is not a top 25 team, and may not be a relevant Top 25 team in the foreseeable future unless they can develop a reasonable passing game. The game has changed and the onset of the "Super teams" is here, and is only going to expand throughout the country.

You guys that think. Folsom is truly a national top100 team and a State top 10 team ....are delusional.
Fact is, if Folsom played a schedule befitting a top 100 team, they would have 3-4 losses and would not be ranked.

DLS is better than Folsom, but DLS is not a top 25 team, and may not be a relevant Top 25 team in the foreseeable future unless they can develop a reasonable passing game. The game has changed and the onset of the "Super teams" is here, and is only going to expand throughout the country.
Folsom just beat the #7 team in the state. How are they not a top 10 state ranked team? I think someone is a bit delusional with that notion.

I believe most people agree that Folsom is arguably the best team in NorCal right now and going into next year. We didn't make the the rankings. Plus they are subjective anyways. But I believe from what I saw on the field, that Folsom is ranked where they should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT