ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Serra-Cajon

Coaching. Preparation. Focus. Discipline. Execution. Adjustments. All on one side of the field. The other side. Not so much. Final could have been 48-14 easily. Wow. Apparently strength of schedule needs to be re-evaluated in this case.

I guess Valley Christian (twice), St. Francis (twice), an undefeated Tulare, and one-loss Cajon don't count as anybody.

By that logic, the only "somebody" that Pitt played since Serra beat them by 17.

WCAL was down this year. The 2 best teams Serra played all year were in the preseason and they lost both games. Tulare union and Cajon both played weak schedules. Good wins but neither of those teams is at the level of Pitt. Serra had a great year but beating lesser teams is not an indicator that they are better than Pitt at this point in the season. I stand by the point that nothing they have done indicates they are a better Team than Pitt.

WCAL was down this year. The 2 best teams Serra played all year were in the preseason and they lost both games. Tulare union and Cajon both played weak schedules. Good wins but neither of those teams is at the level of Pitt. Serra had a great year but beating lesser teams is not an indicator that they are better than Pitt at this point in the season. I stand by the point that nothing they have done indicates they are a better Team than Pitt.
Exactly how familiar are you with the first game? Are you aware that the game was only decided by one TD and that Serra was driving at the end of the game to try to tie it? It's like you're trying to claim that Pitt demonstrated themselves to be head and shoulders better. They didn't. They won a close game. You don't really know what would have happened the following week, much less now.

By your logic, since Pitt hasn't beaten anyone better than Serra the rest of the year (no, I don't think Granite Bay is better), they haven't really shown that they're still better.

See how that works?

Reactions: Rmbr26
Exactly how familiar are you with the first game? Are you aware that the game was only decided by one TD and that Serra was driving at the end of the game to try to tie it? It's like you're trying to claim that Pitt demonstrated themselves to be head and shoulders better. They didn't. They won a close game. You don't really know what would have happened the following week, much less now.

By your logic, since Pitt hasn't beaten anyone better than Serra the rest of the year (no, I don't think Granite Bay is better), they haven't really shown that they're still better.

See how that works?
Winning the final state title game will not tell you that they'd win a game they previously lost in if it were played now. The matchup has been played already. Lets wait for next preseason if their series continues. In the meantime, congrats to Serra. Now lets hope Pitt wins tomorrow also so we can have a great preseason game next year!

Winning the final state title game will not tell you that they'd win a game they previously lost in if it were played now. The matchup has been played already. Lets wait for next preseason if their series continues. In the meantime, congrats to Serra. Now lets hope Pitt wins tomorrow also so we can have a great preseason game next year!
And no one can say they would lose a game to a team they lost to earlier in the season. For example, Salinas over Milpitas in round two. That said, I see Serra 3-4 scores better than both Antioch and SRV. Congrats to Serra and good luck to Pitt tomorrow. Go NorCal!!!

And no one can say they would lose a game to a team they lost to earlier in the season. For example, Salinas over Milpitas in round two. That said, I see Serra 3-4 scores better than both Antioch and SRV. Congrats to Serra and good luck to Pitt tomorrow. Go NorCal!!!

Not saying it is impossible that Serra is better than Pitt now. It’s possible, but lots of things are possible. Pitt beat Serra earlier. Period. Nobody Serra has beaten since is as good as Pitt. Beating lesser teams is not an a indication that they are now better than Pitt.

Reactions: remc and observer22
Not saying it is impossible that Serra is better than Pitt now. It’s possible, but lots of things are possible. Pitt beat Serra earlier. Period. Nobody Serra has beaten since is as good as Pitt. Beating lesser teams is not an a indication that they are now better than Pitt.
I agree to disagree and here's why. There is an indication that Serra could be the better team now. Pitt beating lesser teams than Serra while Serra has beaten better teams than Pitt is a indication that Serra could be better now. Who has Pitt beaten since playing Serra? A no offense, Granite Bay team. I mean a Granite Bay team that could only muster up points with their defense and special teams against Pitt. As bad as an offensive team Granite Bay was this year I could see Serra's potent offense taking the opportunity to laying 30 plus points on them. And Serra's stout defense would shut out Granite Bay's dismal offense. Who has Serra beaten since they've played Pitt. A Tulare Union team that they boat raced. A Tulare Union team which had the most productive RB in the nation along with a potent passing game. They've also blown out Cajon which leads the nation in scoring. Cajon came in averaging 49 points per game in which they only scored twice on Serra's stout defense. Btw, one of the scores for that nation leading offense came on a Hail Mary on the last play of the first half. The Serra Padre's has also beaten their always tough rival St. Francis twice this season. St. Francis is also a regional champion and are favorite to becoming a State champion as well. So to say there's no indication Serra is better now isn't any factual than saying Pitt is still better. Now here's the deal for me. If Pitt beats this Norbonne outfit today I will lay this claim to rest. Norbonne is definelty better than all of the teams Serra has played in the post season this year. So if Pitt can rise to the level of beating Norbonne today it will make a statement that not only is Pitt better than Serra but they may also be better than Folsom in The Junkie's final Elite 25. Now "The Junkie" has spoken.

I agree to disagree and here's why. There is an indication that Serra could be the better team now. Pitt beating lesser teams than Serra while Serra has beaten better teams than Pitt is a indication that Serra could be better now. Who has Pitt beaten since playing Serra? A no offense, Granite Bay team. I mean a Granite Bay team that could only muster up points with their defense and special teams against Pitt. As bad as an offensive team Granite Bay was this year I could see Serra's potent offense taking the opportunity to laying 30 plus points on them. And Serra's stout defense would shut out Granite Bay's dismal offense. Who has Serra beaten since they've played Pitt. A Tulare Union team that they boat raced. A Tulare Union team which had the most productive RB in the nation along with a potent passing game. They've also blown out Cajon which leads the nation in scoring. Cajon came in averaging 49 points per game in which they only scored twice on Serra's stout defense. Btw, one of the scores for that nation leading offense came on a Hail Mary on the last play of the first half. The Serra Padre's has also beaten their always tough rival St. Francis twice this season. St. Francis is also a regional champion and are favorite to becoming a State champion as well. So to say there's no indication Serra is better now isn't any factual than saying Pitt is still better. Now here's the deal for me. If Pitt beats this Norbonne outfit today I will lay this claim to rest. Norbonne is definelty better than all of the teams Serra has played in the post season this year. So if Pitt can rise to the level of beating Norbonne today it will make a statement that not only is Pitt better than Serra but they may also be better than Folsom in The Junkie's final Elite 25. Now "The Junkie" has spoken.
You make some good points, but why should the results of a head to head matchup be ignored? Liberty was NCS D1 champion as well, Pitt beat them. Why downplay Pitts win over Granite Bay when most on this board picked GB to win that game?Do you think Cajon is better than Narbonne?

The cif selection committee thought GB was better than Serra which is why they got matched up in the higher level bowl, so Pitts beat down of GB should be seen as evidence they are still better than Serra regardless of what happens against Narbonne.

You make some good points, but why should the results of a head to head matchup be ignored? Liberty was NCS D1 champion as well, Pitt beat them. Why downplay Pitts win over Granite Bay when most on this board picked GB to win that game?Do you think Cajon is better than Narbonne?
Not saying the head to head should be ignored but I am saying Serra is playing better ball than when they played Pitt. I don't believe Pitt is playing that much better than the time they beat Serra. Let's be real, Liberty would get boat raced by Serra and GB struggled with teams that showed up with an offense. Do I think Cajon is better than Narbonne, no. That's why I said, if Pitt beats Narbonne I will then say they are better than Serra.

Not saying the head to head should be ignored but I am saying Serra is playing better ball than when they played Pitt. I don't believe Pitt is playing that much better than the time they beat Serra. Let's be real, Liberty would get boat raced by Serra and GB struggled with teams that showed up with an offense. Do I think Cajon is better than Narbonne, no. That's why I said, if Pitt beats Narbonne I will then say they are better than Serra.
So Pitt must beat a better team (Narbonne) to prove that they are better than a team that they have already beaten? And Pitt losing to Narbonne proves Serra is now better because they beat a team you say is not as good as Narbonne? Seems like you’re holding Pitt to a standard that you’re not holding Serra to

It’s funny, DLS beating Folsom in 2012-13 is proof positive that they are better than the Bulldogs this year. But Pitt beats Serra this year and gets no credit whatsoever for it.

Reactions: remc
The cif selection committee thought GB was better than Serra which is why they got matched up in the higher level bowl, so Pitts beat down of GB should be seen as evidence they are still better than Serra regardless of what happens against Narbonne.
Sorry, but the Junkie ain't buying what the CIF selection committee is selling. I have no problem with someone else buying that theory or assumption but I see things differently. In your world the Pitt win against GB should make them better not in my world. Granite Bay isn't Serra. Serra is a whole different animal. You're acting like Pitt boat raced Serra 3 months ago. When in all actuallity the game was up in the air until the final whistle. Like I said in prior post, if Pitt beats this Narbonne outfit tonight I will than say they are still better than Serra. And they will be on top of Serra in the Junkie's final Elite 25.

Liberty would not get boat raced.Pitts D would slow down Serra just like the first time. Pitts defense is playing better now than when they played Serra the first time. That’s what you’re not acknowledging

So Pitt must beat a better team (Narbonne) to prove that they are better than a team that they have already beaten? And Pitt losing to Narbonne proves Serra is now better because they beat a team you say is not as good as Narbonne? Seems like you’re holding Pitt to a standard that you’re not holding Serra to
Once again, Pitt gets credit for winning the game played earlier. That said, if they played Serra with a healthy Mafi I would say they lose this time around. The first game was too close to say who actually was the dominate team. Pitt winning by a score doesn't mean they're better than a score next time. And yes, betting a team that I'm saying is better than the team Serra beat holds a lot of water in my world. Like I said, the game between Serra and Pitt was too close to say one team is actually better than the other. A second game at this time of the year would prove that. Until than, we don't know whose better right now because they're both good programs this year.

It’s funny, DLS beating Folsom in 2012-13 is proof positive that they are better than the Bulldogs this year. But Pitt beats Serra this year and gets no credit whatsoever for it.
Huge bias against Pitt for whatever reason, mostly from SJS fans,it seems

Liberty would not get boat raced.Pitts D would slow down Serra just like the first time. Pitts defense is playing better now than when they played Serra the first time. That’s what you’re not acknowledging
You're putting too much stock into Liberty. Liberty is a good team but no where on the level of Serra. And btw, I had Liberty beating Freedom in the Section final so I know something. Now back to Pitt. I understand Pitt is playing solid defense but their Offense would get smothered by Serra's stout defense this time around with Mafi. You also need to remember I started saying this when Mafi was healthy.

Huge bias against Pitt for whatever reason, mostly from SJS fans,it seems
Not bias from the Junkie. The Junkie has been associated via coaching in both the SJS and the NCS. That said, if the Junkie was bias he would be saying Folsom is better than DLS and if you look at my post you would see that's the furthest thing from the truth. So we can lay the bias attack to rest, asap.

Not bias from the Junkie. The Junkie has been associated via coaching in both the SJS and the NCS. That said, if the Junkie was bias he would be saying Folsom is better than DLS and if you look at my post you would see that's the furthest thing from the truth. So we can lay the bias attack to rest, asap.
I was able to watch Serra at field level this year for the first time. They are so athletic on offense and defense. The Cajon QB looked like a rat in a cage and forced/hurried throws or was sacked all night long. The Serra kids are very classy and play hard from start to finish. Cajon was in disarray all night long. Hats off to Serra for winning and becoming the 1st ever WCAL State Championship. Arguably the 3rd best team in NorCal and Top 10 in the State. I will Uber down South next year to watch these guys...Serra is "the greatest show on turf."

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Well just not enough evidence that now Serra would beat Pitt in a rematch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT