ADVERTISEMENT

Granite Bay vs Del Oro

pontiacjoe

Rookie
Jan 20, 2017
Interesting game! Del Oro as predicted, brought zero pressure all game! Good game to be a spectator but.....who kicks onside, down by 7, with momentum, having 11 minutes left on the clock? Sat in the stands next to a foul mouth fan, throwing f-bombs about playing the junior qb over the senior! Turns out it was the DC's wife!!!!! Go to Petsmart and buy a muzzle, total embarrassment.......

I know exactly where you were sitting. The DC's wife obviously gets her opinions from her husband and expresses them very vocally to all those that can hear her voice. I was 8 rows bellow her and it made my ears pierce. My teenage daughter was appalled at her foul mouth. We moved to sit somewhere else. This should not happen in a HS football game, especially from the DC's wife. It would be nice if the DC told her to behave a bit. I don't think it will ever happen since she could probably beat him up.

Reactions: pontiacjoe
Not sure how you can single out one person in that brutal crowd. There were people shouting about play calling, calling for a change at QB, questioning the onside kick, etc. It was wide ranging on the complaints being voiced against both sides of the ball. Brutal crowd for a 3-1 team at the time.

Reactions: Lcwally
Not sure how you can single out one person in that brutal crowd. There were people shouting about play calling, calling for a change at QB, questioning the onside kick, etc. It was wide ranging on the complaints being voiced against both sides of the ball. Brutal crowd for a 3-1 team at the time.
High expectations in that league. Most leagues are happy with one team with a playoff chance. Look at at the SFL lol

My guess is that the "critics" will get worse before they get better. Del Oro will not beat Folsom or Oakridge. They should beat NU and Woodcreek. Rocklin will be a tossup. So, they are looking at 5-5 or 6-4 regular season at best, which will not be good enough for the Loomis crowd. Walters has stepped into a very tough situation. Remember how brutal the Loomis fans were 2 years ago when Taylor was 2-6 before going on the run that led to a state title? This Del Oro team does not have near the talent that the 2015 team had. I hope Walters has thick skin!

Ya, I really hope the town of Loomis will be patient with coach Walters. I worry about NU as they have some talent and probably one of the better teams they have had in some time. DO has the run game working, I think if they can balance it out between the run and pass by getting the ball to Smart and Guzman then good things will happen. If the defense can continue to keep teams below 30 then this team should win some games. Right now the overall play looks sloppy to me. DO also looked very small compared to Granite Bay. Lastly, does anyone else notice that it looks like the coaches are always yelling at each other? Maybe this is what coaches do? This divide cannot be good and hopefully, they can work it out for the common good of the team. I fear a 4-6 finish with no playoff berth, yet if they gel it could easily be a 6-4 team. At 6-4 the town should view this as a huge success for a first year coach.

My observations and what I learned from this game:
  • Reinforced my position that GB has a very good defense seeing it live
  • GB plays a 3-4 defense very effectively and can get away with it because their 3 OL's are very good.
  • They put their OLB's in space for pass protection or move them on the line to pressure QB
  • Hard to run slants against them, maybe Folsom will have more luck
  • NG is a beast and takes double team to take him out
  • Double teaming NG gave opportunities for ILB's to move up fill run gaps and also pressure QB
  • IMO GB runs the right defensive scheme per their personel
  • GB's LB's are fast and physical, can not run or at least DO could not run outside tackles well because of this
  • You can run on GB but you have to run straight at them. Why DO kept running out side tackles so much was beyond me when they had success running up the gut. When DO spread and ran up the gut they were getting 2-5yards a pop because there were gaps left by LB's moving out of box for coverage
  • Report was that GB QB was not that accurate. IMO he is accurate when he has a lot of time to throw and in second half DO did not pressure well and QB passed well
  • DO OL is not ready or competitive yet for SFL. They may be fundamentally sound but as I've said before physicality is not where it was last year and it shows
  • DO is at best, IMO, 4th place SFL team this year but Rocklin will have something to say about that
  • Will see how much DO can gel through SFL play as they have a way to go to make any kind of run in the playoffs assuming they get there. Just don't know what to expect this year with new coach

decoydan, I agree with what you are saying. I did see the DC yelling at players and other coaches. I am pretty sure I saw him and his brother in law (LBer coach) yelling at each other as well. Not good. I've seen this before but not at the level that I saw on Friday. Frustration levels must be running high. I feel bad for Walters. I hope the wheels are not coming off. I did notice that different offensive personnel groups were on the field for Del Oro if it was a run or a pass. I am sure that GB was aware of this as well. That needs to be fixed.

• GB plays a 3-4 defense very effectively and can get away with it because their 3 OL's are very good.
  • They put their OLB's in space for pass protection or move them on the line to pressure QB
  • Hard to run slants against them, maybe Folsom will have more luck
  • Double teaming NG gave opportunities for ILB's to move up fill run gaps and also pressure QB
  • IMO GB runs the right defensive scheme per their personel
  • GB's LB's are fast and physical, can not run or at least DO could not run outside tackles well because of this
  • You can run on GB but you have to run straight at them. Why DO kept running out side tackles so much was beyond me when they had success running up the gut. When DO spread and ran up the gut they were getting 2-5yards a pop because there were gaps left by LB's moving out of box for coverage

What did you think of the GB corners? Weak spot?

The coaches appear very animated and maybe I am just naive and confusing it with being passionate. This Del Oro team is playing a lot of kids. The receiver personnel groups are constantly changing. In my limited perspective, by no means an expert like smashmouth who can break it down, but I would have 6, 28, 24 and 2 on the field together. DO has to find a way to get #2 involved in the offense. I like running him at the Z back or H back on pass plays. Get him the ball in space and he can be a game changer. We have all critiqued the QB play but neither kid stands a chance if DO does not get the right personnel groups on the field. The passes DO connected on were perfectly thrown balls as there was NO separation between receiver and DB. Put your 4 best and fastest guys on the field and somebody will get open and give the QB a fighting chance.

90% offensive tendency that I saw: when #32 was in the game it was a run play, when he was not in the game it was a pass.

FWIW, former long time Casa Roble coach Norm Ryan is coaching up the GB DL. Glad to hear it's going well thus far.

Casa, meawhile isn't lighting it up with their 10-0 JV class from last season. Grass isn't always greener. They are gonna regret letting Coach Ryan go.

Reactions: FelineBad
FWIW, former long time Casa Roble coach Norm Ryan is coaching up the GB DL. Glad to hear it's going well thus far.

Casa, meawhile isn't lighting it up with their 10-0 JV class from last season. Grass isn't always greener. They are gonna regret letting Coach Ryan go.
Coach Ryan sat behind me at Rutherford stadium for 2009 all star game. We talked X's and O's the whole game and I was very impressed with his football IQ. No surprise GB DL is doing so well with his coaching

GB frosh will roll Folsom.

Not so fast my friend! While, at the Jr Team level, you would always have taken Folsom in this game, things certainly have changed during that team's freshman year. However, the Folsom frosh team did score its first victory against Woodcreek on Thursday. The Woodcreek frosh have lost every game with cumulative scoring margin of 126-29. So, we might have a contest on our hands come Thursday! Certainly, you will want to make the trip to Granite Bay on Thursday evening to see this epic battle! Its for all of the marbles!

Oh ya? Well our Junior High team will roll GBs Junior High team!!!!! ;)

While Dog makes fun of the Junior programs, they are vital for keeping kids interested in the high school program and football in general. Its not a healthy thing to have your junior program players seeking other programs when they reach the high school level unless your high school program feels that it can attract enough talent outside of the junior program to subsist. There is only one program in the SFL that can do that.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Folsom Jr. High 8th graders lost to mediocre Rocklin. 24-14..Second loss they have in 4 years....last time they lost to Rocklin also........lol...

Right now the overall play looks sloppy to me. DO also looked very small compared to Granite Bay.

To me, these were the two most noticeable things that I saw during the game. GB was bigger (sometimes much bigger) at nearly every position. It was really noticeable after plays were over and kids were heading back to their sides of the ball. I give credit to DO's grit for staying physical throughout the game even though GB was bigger, often faster, and just as tough.

DO also had some really sloppy play. Some of this is because of growing pains with an offense that is different than the offense the kids have been playing since youth football, but some were just silly mistakes that DO usually doesn't commit.

After losing nearly every starter from last year, I knew that this was going to be a difficult year. I think that the group of current juniors will do well next season and be helped a little by the running back talent on the JV squad and some of their larger lineman. I think this year is rebuilding and like some have said, 4th place is probably the best DO can hope for this season.

Coach Ryan sat behind me at Rutherford stadium for 2009 all star game. We talked X's and O's the whole game and I was very impressed with his football IQ. No surprise GB DL is doing so well with his coaching

And he'll tell you that he's really a basketball coach masquerading as a football coach. :)

Well, they do have some talented athletes at that position.

Sounds like they do. But lots of coaches still screw it up. Sounds like the DC and Norm are getting the most out of them, though.

Not so fast my friend! While, at the Jr Team level, you would always have taken Folsom in this game, things certainly have changed during that team's freshman year. However, the Folsom frosh team did score its first victory against Woodcreek on Thursday. The Woodcreek frosh have lost every game with cumulative scoring margin of 126-29. So, we might have a contest on our hands come Thursday! Certainly, you will want to make the trip to Granite Bay on Thursday evening to see this epic battle! Its for all of the marbles!

Woodcreek's group of freshman are awful. They lost every game last year as midget's and Folsom was one of the top two teams in that league. Folsom has had a couple of transfers out to other programs from that midget team and their QB was a 7th grader so he is no longer with them either.

I saw GB freshman last week and they will beat Folsom. Ernie Cooper is a fantastic coach and he will out-prepare them. I don't think it will be close.

I saw GB freshman last week and they will beat Folsom. Ernie Cooper is a fantastic coach and he will out-prepare them. I don't think it will be close.

Well, sometimes, RR, I post things with sarcasm intended. Plenty of pissed off parents from Folsom's junior program to go around. One of the kids who left was the 8th grade QB on that midget team.

It must be heart breaking...The almighty Bulldogs lost to poor, unathletic Rocklin...24-14....and about to lose to them at the frosh level also....
Good thing there's no scouts at those frosh games. They're all front and center for the Varsity show!

Well, sometimes, RR, I post things with sarcasm intended. Plenty of pissed off parents from Folsom's junior program to go around. One of the kids who left was the 8th grade QB on that midget team.

I got the sarcasm, and appreciate it! Yea, he didn't get to play as much as the 7th grader did but he was decent. Can you blame him for leaving? By the time he is a JV player, he will be replaced by someone who moves to Folsom to play for the Bulldogs. I think it's likely kids will move to Oak Ridge and Vista rather than stay in that system, which will put even more pressure on Folsom High School coaching staff to "attract" players from neighboring communities.....and Reno!

And not to highjack the thread but I made a comment about Woodcreek's freshman team being awful....that is not the kid's fault....there is something wrong with that program and my guess it is the adults running the program.

With Roseville's population feeding into Woodcreek, they should be fielding another top team besides GB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT