ADVERTISEMENT

Gridlay FINALS Day!

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
7th place game:

Rough start for Gridley... 12-2 Woodcreek midway thru 1st

Bulldogs almost sank a half court bomb at end of quarter, but trail 17-6... Having much trouble even getting shots thus far.

Bulldogs sneaking back into it somehow... 19-14 Woodcreek midway thru 2nd

Gridley showing a good bit more energy this half, but ain’t helping too much. 46-28 end of 3

58-30 final... Hopefully the Mitty-Folsom game will be a good one...

Mitty playing better ball than the last two days.

Still, Folsom leads 27-22 at the half in a pretty good game

Not as good now... 40-28 Folsom, rather unpretty quarter for both teams

These last two games feature quality teams of similar style and ability...

Both ought to be excellent games.

First up, Dublin plays Sheldon in the 3rd-place game.... Picking Dublin in a close one.

So far it looks like my prediction is all wet... Still early, tho... 19-12 Sheldon after 1

Dublin pulls within 2, 30-28 at the half.

Some really amazing hoops goin’ on here!

After 3, it’s 48-46 Sheldon... A Dublin guy just barely missed a 55-foot heave at thebuzzer

Sheldon seems to be getting better with each succeeding half they play. Very disciplined now... I bet they’d love another go at CC

Dublin’s center Nielsen took an elbow and went down like a sack of flour... T called for after-play contact. Beasley sinks one of the 2 FT’s, then a driving floater to make it 59-56 Sheldon, 48 secs left

Heck of a game!

Annmnnmnnnd now, for the BIG one!!

Once again, two excellent and similar speedy, fast-breaking, mostly outside-oriented teams.

Both have a long history of excellence...

Also, Salesian’s PG who appeared somewhat injured after that fall last night is starting tonight.

So, I’ll pick Salesian to win a close one.

Salesian lands the first haymakers, capped by a putback dunk by #3 Jefferson to go up 14-6

21-6 end of one... Salesian is on fire! Akinjo is even more unbelievable than usual thus far...

A surprisingly not-so-close 29-13 at the half.

Btw, I notice six guys in street clothes on CC’s bench... Transfers, injuries, I dunno. Didn’t spot any casts or anything like that.

Not at the game but knowing both programs. Sounds like a typical Salesian defensive pressure clinic. 13 PTS in a half for a talented CC squad. Ouch

That’s one thing I’ve figured out over the years... Run/press teams that run into a better run/press team have to have an icredible game, or risk getting the bleep blown out.

Kidman you watch a lot of hoops. How good would you rate Akinjo against some of the other great Norcal guards from the past?

CC never was the aggressor tonight. If I didn't love gridley so much I'd consider it a wasted drive. At least Dublin-Sheldon didn't disappoint

My post Gridley thoughts salesian is the clear cut best team in norcal and akinjo is the
the best guard in norcal. salesian for sure will be headed to the open and be the favorites
Sheldon,Folsom and Dublin are all damn good teams who will more then likely
win there respective leagues and be dangerous teams come sectional and norcal
time always a great time at the Gridley tournament and this year did not
disappoint.

Kidman you watch a lot of hoops. How good would you rate Akinjo against some of the other great Norcal guards from the past?

For time-frame purposes, this would be early 80's to the end of the '94 season when I moved to Oregon, and since the start of the 2012-13 season when I had moved back.

Offhand tonight, I can't think of any I've seen here in NorCal that can go with Akinjo other than Kidd and Payton. I have to admit I didn't see all that much of Payton; I was just starting to go see games other than my old school (Berean Christian) and De La Salle during Payton's era.

Akinjo's outside shot used to be suspect, but I doubt many feel that way now... He's got speed, moves, balance, athleticism, strength... Sees everything going on seemingly at all times... Slick passer, tough and competitive as all heck, not afraid of anybody or anything. Moves extremely well without the ball to get open when he's not starting the offense himself. Defends *really* well and seems to be a real team player. Also seems to have that knack for being in the right place at the right time.

In other words, Akinjo doesn't suck very much. :) UConn's gonna love the guy!

Thanks Kiddman32. He's really good. Doesn't have the size or talent of Kidd but reminds me of a mini CP3. Paris Austin a few years back from ODOWD was solid but AKinjo is head and shoulders better. We haven't had many players like him.

Forgot about Austin in my late-night fog... Yup, he was terrific, but not quite like Akinjo...

Woke up this morning thinking about this... And, well DUH! I forgot about Elijah Hardy, too. Has just about everything Akinjo has, plus two inches of length. Not sure he has quite the competitive fire that Akinjo has, but he has plenty... From the two games of his I've seen this year, he has improved a *lot* since last year and certainly deserved consideration...

Another, with an asterisk or two... I consider Fresno to be part of NorCal, but apparently the CIF thinks they're in SoCal, so geography has to be an asterisk here...

In any case, we can't leave out San Joaquin Memorial's sophomore superstud Jalen Green. Dude is 6'6", incredibly athletic and skilled. Just about as good as Lonzo was as a Senior, and probably a better shooter, too (at least much more conventional in shooting motion).

The other asterisk is Green's size... According to program listings, Green has grown an inch or two since last year. If he grows much more at all, it's likely he'll become more a forward or at least a swingman.

I can't wait to see more of this kid... BTW, San Joaquin Memorial is playing in the Modesto Christian Holiday Hoops tournament... ROAD TRIP!! Heck, SJM is also playing in the Clovis West tournament this coming weekend... And I am crazy enough to consider a run down there this Saturday...

Reactions: treshon
For time-frame purposes, this would be early 80's to the end of the '94 season when I moved to Oregon, and since the start of the 2012-13 season when I had moved back.

Offhand tonight, I can't think of any I've seen here in NorCal that can go with Akinjo other than Kidd and Payton. I have to admit I didn't see all that much of Payton; I was just starting to go see games other than my old school (Berean Christian) and De La Salle during Payton's era.

Akinjo's outside shot used to be suspect, but I doubt many feel that way now... He's got speed, moves, balance, athleticism, strength... Sees everything going on seemingly at all times... Slick passer, tough and competitive as all heck, not afraid of anybody or anything. Moves extremely well without the ball to get open when he's not starting the offense himself. Defends *really* well and seems to be a real team player. Also seems to have that knack for being in the right place at the right time.

In other words, Akinjo doesn't suck very much. :) UConn's gonna love the guy!
Jason Kidd and Gary Payton are 1a and 1b in my book. I go back to 1986....
Those Skyline - Riordan games pitted the Titans' Payton and 7-0 Greg Foster vs Terrence Mullins and Chris Munk Riordan teams. The first time I saw Kidd play was at a NorCal game when they played at Oakland. Wow! And he was only a freshman!
From a purely HS perspective, Riordan's Ray "Baby Magic" Kelly was special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT