ADVERTISEMENT

Gridley Invitational Redux And A Record Still Stands

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
I want to thank all who attended. So much goes into putting on this old classic.

As usual it was a fun filled packed house, and as I always say, good folks, good vibes, great hoops. A tournament Queen was crowned. You just have to be there to understand :)

Here is a bit of GIBT Lore.

Going into last night’s games, James Akinjo and Zachary Chappell had a shot at the Gridley Scoring record.
Akinjo had 66 for two games and Chappell had 68, going after number 105.
Hard to do against tough competition.

Who’s the all time scoring leader for the GIBT?

His name is Jay Olson and he was a player on the 1968 Gridley basketball team. He averaged 35 points for the three day tourney. His record is 105 points, and it has stood the test of time for 50 years.

Who was this guy and how did he come to accomplish the record?

Talking to some of his old teammates, they describe him as looking like “Jabba the Hut”. He would cross mid-court and loft a sweet shot. Driving to the hoop was out of the question.

They told me if there had been a three point line he would have averaged 50 a game. Scoring 17+ baskets a game lends credibility.

This wasn’t against small schools like “Our Lady in Agony”. It was against top caliber tournament teams.

The closest anyone ever came breaking the record was at the 1999 Tournament. Stephon Harris of Luther Burbank scored 104 points. On his last shot of the final game, his shot rimed out at the buzzer. Crowed went crazy.

Here’s to next year, and,

Here’s wishing you great hoops

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT