ADVERTISEMENT

Harker improves to 7-0

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Playing an independent schedule, Harker is 7-0 with 5 shutouts.

They are in NCS Division IV.

Question? Why is Harker from San Jose in the North Coast Section? They could easily play an independent schedule and be in the Central Coast Section, right? Or am I missing something?

I'm not sure why. I think it had something to do with their previous league going to 8 man football, but the move to the NCS I don't have the info on.

Harker has competed in the NCS for most years because they felt the old Bay League and the NCS playoff brackets were more/less competitive for their program. In 2013 (I think) they were in the CCS El Camino League and had to fold 3 games into the season. This did not sit well with the other schools. In 2014 they went back to NCS as freelance then joined the Bay League till it's demise last year. St Francis CC of Watsonville had a similar story and played in the NCS for a couple of years after having to fold it's program. However, now it seems like they (Harker) could find a nice home in an equity league and go between a B and C divisions.

Harker has claimed that it is making a commitment to it's athletic programs and trying to attract more student athletes. It is considered one of the top academic schools in the state.

I think the biggest benefit of Harker being in the NCS is that they actually have a decent shot at a State Bowl game in D4, while in the CCS they would have virtually no shot.

Can an independent receive a NCS playoff bid?
Yea they can....Harker played Moreau last year in NCS 2nd round I think. MC beat them handily. They are undefeated but have played NOONE. Their biggest test will probably be Irvington at end of season. At best they are #5 or #6 seed, even at 10-0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT