ADVERTISEMENT

HBCU Draft Snub?

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012

I find it really disturbing that former players like Doug Williams and Deion Sanders are crapping bricks because no players from historically black colleges and universities were selected in the 2021 draft. However, there were several HBCU players that signed undrafted free agent contracts and will be given the opportunity to make an NFL squad. Let's break this down more. Out of 259 guys selected, 5 of which came from the FCS, two were Division 2 and one from Division 3. Even though most HBCU programs are at the FCS level, there's much disparity within the FCS level. I've been watching and analyzing FCS football for the past six years and by far the strongest conferences are the Missouri Valley MVFC , Big Sky BSC and Colonial Athletic CAA. The ivy league is also FCS and is actually pretty damned competitive. None of the HBCU programs are part of the four conferences I just mentioned. I'm not saying HBCU players aren't good enough to play in the NFL, because there already are guys playing there. I'm just sick of anytime something doesn't go their way, it's the result of racism. Over the years I've seen literally thousands of guys that I thought were good enough to be drafted , but they didn't get drafted. According to the article next year HBCU's will be having an all star game to highlight 100 or so players to the NFL. Will their be a Big Sky, MVFC or CAA all star game to highlight their players? Don't bet the house on it...

Last edited:

I find it really disturbing that former players like Doug Williams and Deion Sanders are crapping bricks because no players from historically black colleges and universities were selected in the 2021 draft. However, there were several HBCU players that signed undrafted free agent contracts and will be given the opportunity to make an NFL squad. Let's break this down more. Out of 259 guys selected, 5 of which came from the FCS, two were Division2 and one from Division 3. Even though most HBCU programs are at the FCS level, there's much disparity within the FCS level. I've been watching and analyzing FCS football for the past six years and by far the strongest conferences are the Missouri Valley MVFC , Big Sky BSC and Colonial Athletic CAA. The ivy league is also FCS and is actually pretty damned competitive. I'm not saying any HBCU players are good enough to play in the NFL, because there already are guys playing there. I'm just sick of anytime something doesn't go their way, it's the result of racism. Thanks for letting me rant.
who is their?

I find it really disturbing that former players like Doug Williams and Deion Sanders are crapping bricks because no players from historically black colleges and universities were selected in the 2021 draft. However, there were several HBCU players that signed undrafted free agent contracts and will be given the opportunity to make an NFL squad. Let's break this down more. Out of 259 guys selected, 5 of which came from the FCS, two were Division 2 and one from Division 3. Even though most HBCU programs are at the FCS level, there's much disparity within the FCS level. I've been watching and analyzing FCS football for the past six years and by far the strongest conferences are the Missouri Valley MVFC , Big Sky BSC and Colonial Athletic CAA. The ivy league is also FCS and is actually pretty damned competitive. None of the HBCU programs are part of the four conferences I just mentioned. I'm not saying HBCU players aren't good enough to play in the NFL, because there already are guys playing there. I'm just sick of anytime something doesn't go their way, it's the result of racism. Over the years I've seen literally thousands of guys that I thought were good enough to be drafted , but they didn't get drafted. According to the article next year HBCU's will be having an all star game to highlight 100 or so players to the NFL. Will their be a Big Sky, MVFC or CAA all star game to highlight their players? Don't bet the house on it...

Anything doesn't go whose way? Who the heck are you referring to by "their?" And who made you the NFL, NCAA-D1 and NCAA-D1AA expert. And by the way Ivy League schools are trash in football.

I wish I knew who you were @Bubba3000 because you probably laugh and joke with us Blacks when you see us but you really don't like us.

Reactions: aztecpadre
doesn't go whose way? Who the heck are you referring to by "their?" And who made you the NFL, NCAA-D1 and NCAA-D1AA expert. And by the way Ivy League schools are trash in football.

I wish I knew who you were @Bubba3000 because you probably laugh and joke with us Blacks when you see us but you really don't like us.

I’m not against black people at all and I know plenty about college and pro football, especially FCS football. Ivy league is better than the non scholarship Pioneer League the University of San Diego plays in. Top to bottom the strongest FCS conferences are MVFC, CAA and BSC. Did you even read my post? 8 count them 8 non D1A players were selected In the draft. There are a crap ton of better players in the MVFC, CAA and BSC than there are at HBCU’s. Take a look at the FCS rankings and tell me where HBCU’s show up there? I’m sure there are plenty of black FCS players that don’t go to HBCU’s that are good enough to be drafted. Unlike most people these days, I don’t allow BLM to affect my opinions. If that makes me racist, oh well…….I won’t be losing a minutes sleep……..

Last edited:
I'm not saying HBCU players aren't good enough to play in the NFL, because there already are guys playing there. I'm just sick of anytime something doesn't go their way, it's the result of racism.

Anybody citing racism as the reasoning behind who wasn't drafted is grasping at straws.

Racism didn't prevent other black players from non-HBCU's from getting drafted.

I didn't chart or see a demographics breakdown of who was drafted, but I'm fairly certain the vast majority were black. Roughly 2/3rds (or more) of NFL's players are black so it stands to reason the draft numbers would be somewhat comparable.

In short, I'd ignore whomever is pushing that narrative. There's no widespread justification for it.

As for my own POV, I couldn't care less what the demographics are. I only care that the best people are getting the positions. For the most part, I believe that's exactly what happens.

Reactions: Bubba3000
I'm actually surprised some team didn't at least select an HBCU player late in the seventh round to be "PC" because that seems to be the big concern nowadays. My thing is if you're going to bitch about something, make it about something relevant like the low numbers of black head coaches and GM's. To me this current topic is just an excuse to complain. The HBCU will get their all star game, I just hope someone with courage and clout stands up and demands the same thing for every FCS conference, NAIA, D2 and D3 to help the cause of the players of all colors in those conferences, at those levels.

Last edited:
who is their?

Doug Williams, Deion Sanders and anyone else that's griping. I did some research and even though the numbers may not be 100% accurate, here's what I found. Players on NFL rosters look like this. HBCU-28, MVFC-28, Big Sky-30 and CAA-35. Surprisingly, there are 54 D2 players and 6 D3. NAIA has three playing in NFL.

Last edited:

Doug Williams, Deion Sanders and anyone else that's griping. I did some research and even though the numbers may not be 100% accurate, here's what I found. Players on NFL rosters look like this. HBCU-28, MVFC-28, Big Sky-30 and CAA-35. Surprisingly, there are 54 D2 players and 6 D3. NAIA has three playing in NFL.
Thanks for clarifying what you mean by "their". I know a ton about football as well and I can tell you that team play and rankings doesn't necessarily equate to draft picks and NFL success. It's the measurements and individual talent ultimately. Of course the larger schools with more money and resources can attract more NFL players in quantity but there is plenty of talent that comes from D1AA(FCS) also. I would think that someone like Doug Williams and Deon Sanders who had success at the highest level know what they see better than you and and shouldn't be invalidated because the topic or races makes you uncomfortable

I’m not against black people at all and I know plenty about college and pro football, especially FCS football. Ivy league is better than the non scholarship Pioneer League the University of San Diego plays in. Top to bottom the strongest FCS conferences are MVFC, CAA and BSC. Did you even read my post? 8 count them 8 non D1A players were selected In the draft. There are a crap ton of better players in the MVFC, CAA and BSC than there are at HBCU’s. Take a look at the FCS rankings and tell me where HBCU’s show up there? I’m sure there are plenty of black FCS players that don’t go to HBCU’s that are good enough to be drafted. Unlike most people these days, I don’t allow BLM to affect my opinions. If that makes me racist, oh well…….I won’t be losing a minutes sleep……..

What part of racism was in Deion's statement?
What does BLM have to do with this? That reference alone indicates who and what you are. FCS/HBCU and the NFL Draft have zero to do with BLM. That is such a weird insertion on your part. But really it is not all that weird. WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE. And no, that 1 black friend you have does not qualify you to speak on a subject you clearly are lost on. Your hatred is showing rather glaringly here.

Your first sentence states you are not against black people. As you type your anger grows and grows that you had to hold back on calling them N's. But your true self came out at the end with, IF THAT MAKES ME A RACIST OH WELL.

Anybody citing racism as the reasoning behind who wasn't drafted is grasping at straws.

Racism didn't prevent other black players from non-HBCU's from getting drafted.

I didn't chart or see a demographics breakdown of who was drafted, but I'm fairly certain the vast majority were black. Roughly 2/3rds (or more) of NFL's players are black so it stands to reason the draft numbers would be somewhat comparable.

In short, I'd ignore whomever is pushing that narrative. There's no widespread justification for it.

As for my own POV, I couldn't care less what the demographics are. I only care that the best people are getting the positions. For the most part, I believe that's exactly what happens.
What part of Deion's statement mentioned them not being drafted was because of race?

Sanders said he witnessed a number of players from HBCU programs who "were more than qualified to be drafted."

Or Doug William's statement?

“It’s hard to believe that not one guy is worthy of being drafted,” said Washington Football Team senior adviser Doug Williams, a Grambling alum and the first Black quarterback to win a Super Bowl. “That to me, that’s a travesty. Hopefully, we can fix it.”

What part of racism was in Deion's statement?
What does BLM have to do with this? That reference alone indicates who and what you are. FCS/HBCU and the NFL Draft have zero to do with BLM. That is such a weird insertion on your part. But really it is not all that weird. WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE. And no, that 1 black friend you have does not qualify you to speak on a subject you clearly are lost on. Your hatred is showing rather glaringly here.

Your first sentence states you are not against black people. As you type your anger grows and grows that you had to hold back on calling them N's. But your true self came out at the end with, IF THAT MAKES ME A RACIST OH WELL.

Unlike you, I refuse to drink the Koolaid. I simply gave raw numbers to support my argument that Deion is full of crap with his complaint that HBCU players are somehow being discriminated against, pure and simple. HBCU-28, MVFC-28, Big Sky-30 and CAA-35. I rest my case......

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying what you mean by "their". I know a ton about football as well and I can tell you that team play and rankings doesn't necessarily equate to draft picks and NFL success. It's the measurements and individual talent ultimately. Of course the larger schools with more money and resources can attract more NFL players in quantity but there is plenty of talent that comes from D1AA(FCS) also. I would think that someone like Doug Williams and Deon Sanders who had success at the highest level know what they see better than you and and shouldn't be invalidated because the topic or races makes you uncomfortable

I think Doug Williams and Deion Sanders are full of crap and it has nothing to do with the color of their skin. IMO HBCU players are not being discriminated against and I provided raw numbers to back up my claim. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Like I said before, Deion and Williams need to shut the F up and bitch about something real and relevant like the number of black head coaches and GM's, for example......compared to the rest of the lower divisions in NCAA the HBCU is not under represented in the NFL and there were several HBCU players that signed undrafted free agent contracts right after the draft.

Unlike you, I refuse to drink the Koolaid. I simply gave raw numbers to support my argument that Deion is full of crap with his complaint that HBCU players are somehow being discriminated against, pure and simple. HBCU-28, MVFC-28, Big Sky-30 and CAA-35. I rest my case......
I do not drink Koolaid but I see what you tried to do there. I am not asking about the numbers. I asked what part of the statements mentioned race? I also asked about your odd correlation between HBCU/NFL draft and BLM.

I do not drink Koolaid but I see what you tried to do there. I am not asking about the numbers. I asked what part of the statements mentioned race? I also asked about your odd correlation between HBCU/NFL draft and BLM.

I refuse to trade wits with an unarmed man. I'm done on this topic, I made my points.

The articles I read about this situation also mentioned the challenges resulting from HBCUs having to move their seasons to the spring, meaning seniors had to skip their final season or accept they wouldn’t be available to participate in NFL team workouts. Hopefully, next year is a better situation for them. Former players like Sanders and Williams will help spotlight the talent.

I refuse to trade wits with an unarmed man. I'm done on this topic, I made my points.
I came with the ammo, you have no rebuttal. Because you are inaccurate, and you showed who you are. You cannot match wits with me on something you are not knowledgeable about. If you were my question was simple and your answer should be pretty easy. You made no point.

The articles I read about this situation also mentioned the challenges resulting from HBCUs having to move their seasons to the spring, meaning seniors had to skip their final season or accept they wouldn’t be available to participate in NFL team workouts. Hopefully, next year is a better situation for them. Former players like Sanders and Williams will help spotlight the talent.
What part of that mentioned race being a factor? I am asking because she keeps avoiding the question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT