ADVERTISEMENT

High School Rankings Nationally

Aug 18, 2017
One Northern California school in Top 25, DLS at #23. Looking like DLS in State Open Game for the North and Folsom for D-1.

No. 1 Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) - 31
No. 5 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)
Friday

No. 2 IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Idle

No. 3 Grayson (Loganville, Ga.) - 3
Archer (Lawrenceville, Ga.) - 6

Friday

No. 4 American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.) - 23
Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Friday

Grand Prairie (Texas) - 9
No. 6 DeSoto (Texas)
Friday

Santiago (Corona, Calif.) - 14
No. 7 Centennial (Corona, Calif.) - 61

Friday

Plano (Texas) - 10
No. 8 Allen (Texas) - 38

Friday

No. 9 St. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia) - 42
Father Judge (Philadelphia)
Saturday

North Central (Indianapolis) - 14
No. 10 Ben Davis (Indianapolis)
Friday

No. 11 Bingham (South Jordan, Utah) - 48
American Fork (American Fork, Utah)
Friday

No. 12 Central (Miami) - 59
Hialeah-Miami Lakes (Hialeah, Fla.) - 0

Saturday

Football North (Mississauga, Ontario) - 14
No. 13 St. Xavier (Cincinnati)
Friday

Desert Oasis (Las Vegas) - 0
No. 14 Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas)
Friday

Seneca (Louisville, Ky.) - 0
No. 15 Trinity (Louisville, Ky.)
Friday

Lancaster (S.C.) - 10
No. 16 South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.) - 45

Friday

No. 17 Katy (Texas) - 41
Seven Lakes (Katy, Texas) - 3

Friday

No. 18 Judson (Converse, Texas) - 69
East Central (San Antonio)
Friday

Gilman (Baltimore) - 0
No. 19 St. Frances Academy (Baltimore.)
Friday

San Juan Hills (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) - 7
No. 20 Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, Calif.)
Friday

No. 21 Centennial (Peoria, Ariz.)
Idle

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) - 7
No. 22 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) - 49

Friday

No. 23 De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) - 42
Foothill (Pleasanton, Calif.)
Friday

Bishop McNamara (Forestville, Md.) - 0
No. 24 St. John's (Washington, D.C.) - 49

Saturday

No. 25 St. Louis (Honolulu)
Idle

Top 7 in state all in the same playoff bracket.At this point the Dl-AA game would put NorCal #2 vs SoCal #8

Top 7 in state all in the same playoff bracket.At this point the Dl-AA game would put NorCal #2 vs SoCal #8

Considering the population difference and sheer number of schools in the SS, that'll probably be a fair matchup, no? We all know SoCal has a higher number of really good teams. And that's not even considering the differences in transfers between North and South.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Considering the population difference and sheer number of schools in the SS, that'll probably be a fair matchup, no? We all know SoCal has a higher number of really good teams. And that's not even considering the differences in transfers between North and South.
Of course, South should have more teams at the top because of population.Good news for Folsom fans unless there is an upset a public school will most likely represent the south in 1-AA

Reactions: ChrisRScoreMan
Future, what the heck is going on @ the "G" right now?

Just not a good football team rightnow we have everything grant suppose to have size and talent but our new offense is probably weaker than our old offense it’s not a spread offense at all it’s like our old offense but just in shot gun with no threat to even Complete simple routes...1 play the qb had 8 seconds to throw and ended up scrambling for 1 yard...the new qb is a scrambler no matter what he’s either gonna pick up 5 yards or lose 10. They don’t look they practice offense at all
They probably run the hand off up the middle 90% of the time...I’m not even gonna bring up the amount of penalty’s they get a game the grant jr pacers play more mistake free than grant

Might end up being a 5th place SFL team. Bad timing to be on the down slide.
We will figure it out keep in mind our line backer coach is running our offense and al is running the defense idk how many teams would be successful with that type of coaching twist

Future, what the heck is going on @ the "G" right now?
We will figure it out keep in mind our line backer coach is running our offense and al is running the defense idk how many teams would be successful with that type of coaching twist

How can Folsom be ahead of DLS in the updated state rankings if DLS is #23 nationally and Folsom #30 nationally?

There are 2 different polls provided by MaxPreps. Their Xcellent 25 is a human poll where writers vote on the top 25 national teams. The other Max Prep Freeman rankings is using CalPreps/Freeman Ratings. CalPreps has Folsom rated higher than DLS while the writers voted DLS above Folsom.

Reactions: ChrisRScoreMan
What else is new? Every year NorCal #2 faces at best a SoCal team in maybe upper end of top 10. Except for the 2 year open regional game where it was NorCal #3. If NorCal #2 faced SoCal #2 every year than the game would be pointless. Current setup makes for a more competitive game.

Honestly any game beyond the Open is consolation prize anyway and if NorCal's open isn't elite that game isn't competitive either. I don't predict a very competitive open game this year

What else is new? Every year NorCal #2 faces at best a SoCal team in maybe upper end of top 10. Except for the 2 year open regional game where it was NorCal #3. If NorCal #2 faced SoCal #2 every year than the game would be pointless. Current setup makes for a more competitive game.

Honestly any game beyond the Open is consolation prize anyway and if NorCal's open isn't elite that game isn't competitive either. I don't predict a very competitive open game this year

True if it’s not the open then the northern d1 rep is playing a smaller school but then again numbers say it’s evens out it still doesn’t show the depth and power of Cali football

100 percent false. If anything, they will be playing a larger school. Look at Bellarmine in 2015, playing Mission Viejo.

Even a large school like Folsom would most likely play an equally large public school.
Regardless of the size school NorCal plays, it won't be SoCal's #2 team, which was the original point of ararar's post. Size of school doesn't equate to how good they are.

The fact that #2 NorCal won't have to play #2 SoCal will make the game a more evenly matched game. It would be a slaughter if our #2 we're to play one of SoCal's top 3 this year. At least the slaughter will be limited to the Open game. Although I'm hoping NorCal pulls a rabbit out of their hat and at least makes it competitive.

Regardless of the size school NorCal plays, it won't be SoCal's #2 team, which was the original point of ararar's post. Size of school doesn't equate to how good they are
Agreed. And understood. North and South systems differ wildly. But the make up of north and south is very different. I think the way we have it set up, works.

If we did it like SoCal did and let our top 10 programs or so have it out in the open, we would be sending our 11th best team to the D1 bowl games to get slaughtered lol

Last edited:
100 percent false. If anything, they will be playing a larger school. Look at Bellarmine in 2015, playing Mission Viejo.

Even a large school like Folsom would most likely play an equally large public school.
That’s not what a meant lol I was saying they aren’t playing a top 5 team in so cal...We send our very best teams to state they send their top 1 then the rest very well could be 5-25

Reactions: nascar624
That’s not what a meant lol I was saying they aren’t playing a top 5 team in so cal...We send our very best teams to state they send their top 1 then the rest very well could be 5-25
That is correct for the open because they chose to group all their top teams in the open to fight it out for one spot, therefore leaving the 2nd tier for the rest of the bowl games. No balance at all.

We send our best to the open and our 2nd best to the D1 game and so on......much more balanced in my opinion. I think the SoCal way robs many of their teams at competing for the right championship against even/equal opponent competition.

Reactions: nascar624
That is correct for the open because they chose to group all their top teams in the open to fight it out for one spot, therefore leaving the 2nd tier for the rest of the bowl games. No balance at all.

We send our best to the open and our 2nd best to the D1 game and so on......much more balanced in my opinion. I think the SoCal way robs many of their teams at competing for the right championship against even/equal opponent competition.

I think the "and so on" isnt really. We send NorCal #1, #2, #4, #6, #8, etc. to state. So we lose out #3, 5, 7, etc teams from bowl games and send lesser ranked teams too.

I think the "and so on" isnt really. We send NorCal #1, #2, #4, #6, #8, etc. to state. So we lose out #3, 5, 7, etc teams from bowl games and send lesser ranked teams too.
But that’s still not close to what so cal doesn’t send they will have 3 nationally ranked teams watching at home could you imagine being top 5 nationally and not even playing for some type of state title

But that’s still not close to what so cal doesn’t send they will have 3 nationally ranked teams watching at home could you imagine being top 5 nationally and not even playing for some type of state title
I guess that depends on whether you consider a bowl game a state title or not. I do not and would love to see a playoff style entry to a state title game. I'm okay with many bowl games, but just call them bowl champions like college bowl games - the winner of the Cheetos/Preparation H bowl doesn't claim to be a national champion (one of 20 or so)

Reactions: future10
Is that what we should do? Leave some our best teams at home because we don't like them? Lol.

Let's send #5 instead dif 2 or 3 because I don't like 2 and 3!

Is that what we should do? Leave some our best teams at home because we don't like them? Lol.

Let's send #5 instead dif 2 or 3 because I don't like 2 and 3!

Doesn’t make sense but I’m sure you’re aware of that you know exactly what I was saying think how Mater Dei and cenn ten felt last year to watch teams that play lesser comp get to compete for a state title. Or maybe their way of thinking in so cal is if it isn’t the open game then it means nothing..what’s the point of d1 state game if it’s a high state game being played? Is it truly battle for 3rd place?

you know exactly what I was saying think how Mater Dei and cenn ten felt last year
Sure but that's the system they chose. Has nothing to do with NorCal.

We don't have such a robust amount of teams that could compete at the open level, hence the different set of rules, exclusive to NorCal. Not sure why this is so hard for people to comprehend.

Sure but that's the system they chose. Has nothing to do with NorCal.

We don't have such a robust amount of teams that could compete at the open level, hence the different set of rules, exclusive to NorCal. Not sure why this is so hard for people to comprehend.

It’s not hard to comprehend but if it’s not the open then it’s really just a bowl game like others have mentioned

The fact that #2 NorCal won't have to play #2 SoCal will make the game a more evenly matched game. It would be a slaughter if our #2 we're to play one of SoCal's top 3 this year. At least the slaughter will be limited to the Open game. Although I'm hoping NorCal pulls a rabbit out of their hat and at least makes it competitive.

On the whole, yes. But there have been seasons where our top 2 or even a few others could have fared quite well.

Just off the top of my head:
  • 2006 - DLS, Grant Union
  • 2008 - Grant Union, DLS
  • 2009 - Grant Union, DLS, Rocklin, St. Mary's, Folsom, Del Oro
  • 2010 - Palo Alto, Folsom, DLS
  • 2014 - DLS, Folsom
But this season or the previous 2, not so much.

Because of the population difference I think it’s pretty fair.Hell the Southern Section alone has like 35-40% of this States teams.Even though So Cal won the top 5 games last year 4 of them were up for grabs which in my eyes says it’s fair.I think Nor Cal has actually won both bowl seasons 7-6.

Now I pray one day that the CIF and the sections wil come to their senses and have a true playoff system.How hard is it to have the top 8 from the north play and top 8 from south play with winners meeting for state.
If you did that for 13 divisions that’s 208 teams.Teams that don’t make state could still play for a Section championship.Seems so simple

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT