ADVERTISEMENT

How to turn tragedy into opportunity

mshNASTY

Sports Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
I can't speak for the other sections but the NCS has a major issue and it's beyond their control. These fires are devestating the North Bay and the smoke and ash is covering its east bay cities. The writing is on the wall after several teams cancelled games on 9/1 because of heat and air quality conditions that games will ALL be cancelled. Even Cal vs Wash State looks to be in jeopardy because of NCAA rule that says air quality can't be over the scale of 200, it currently at 226 in Walnut Creek and only getting worse for tomorrow and hopefully beginning to clear up on Friday. This is the simple answer to this horrible situation....

Push everything back a week! I know NCS came out and said that it's up to the leagues and districts to cancel but here me out, these are special circumstances. We have to push hese games back a week and eliminate a round of the NCS playoffs. Why effect all schools when we could only effect the useless 1st round games that are all blow outs. In some divisions they can't even field all 16 spots with playoff eligible teams and the other games are non competitive. There are pivotal league games this week with playoff ramifications going on all over the NCS this week. Why cancel these? The NCS needs to take a hit like most of the NCS communities will on their gates this week. There only needs to be 8 playoff teams per division anyways and the open doesn't need 2 bye weeks. Some teams may only play 8 games this year due to air quality.

NCS do the right thing and step up!

They probably will not cancel playoffs games. The gate for playoff's goes directly to the section coffers. Canceling the first round is less income for the section.

The schedule is aligned to the state playoffs. There is no way they will push the state games to after Christmas.

The schedule is aligned to the state playoffs. There is no way they will push the state games to after Christmas.
They wouldn't have to move State games back. Just eliminate the 1st round of NCS playoffs and keep everything on schedule with 8 team brackets

;);););)
They wouldn't have to move State games back. Just eliminate the 1st round of NCS playoffs and keep everything on schedule with 8 team brackets

That's the logical thing to do, but sections love their playoff money. No telling how much a potential riveting 1st round matchup of 5-5 Irvington vs. Foothill might pull in.;)

Agree... many of those 1st round match ups are a joke. Prayers out to Cardinal Newman and all those affected by these fires.

On a side note I heard CN weight room and football field unaffected. Hopefully football can be a release that brings that community together. Thats the beauty of sports, its small in scope of what happened but can be big in healing process.

Good Morning American was out at my alma mater (Newman) this am. That school will rise above the ashes as will Sonoma and Napa counties. My bet is games will resume sooner than later. Newman gym, football field, baseball, and other buildings survived. Cronin will have them in pads today if not already. Sports are a great release for the stress.

My sister lost ranch in Kenwood and my mom almost lost home in Bennett Valley last night. Hundreds of my friends have lost everything. But for the most part people are safe and healthy. This is a very affluent area. It will be rebuilt and thrive. Time will heal and the process will be long but trust me Santa Rosa is too nice of a place to flee from.

It is certainly an option, but I would hardly call that logical. That would mean that you literally have HALF of the teams as normal qualify for the playoffs. While that may sound good to you, I am sure the member schools of the NCS that actually have input into the decision might feel differently. They are much more likely to either cancel the games, or they will play the game when they could (like this coming Saturday or Monday).

For competitive equity, it most logical to reschedule (and keep the playoff schedule). But the recent heat problems probably give us the best guide. Some will be cancelled and some will be played and some will be rescheduled.

It looks like the NCS is indeed considering reducing the playoff field.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/1...ducing-football-playoff-brackets-this-season/
Reducing NCS playoff numbers by 1/2 is less impactful in football than, let’s say, baseball. Plenty of precedents already set there, especially D1. What’d be a gem though is for whatever format ensues, half (or more)- yes, step up NCS- of the gate goes to any North Bay program(s) which suffered tangible team expense losses with the fires.

Reactions: observer22
I know there are some Newman folks who post here -- just curious to know what you're hearing about how the school plans to operate for the rest of the year. I'm not hearing much! For the public sector, I talked to a Santa Rosa district employee today who told me that a) some schools have had 10-20% of their population lose homes and they literally do not know who is going to show up when schools reopen this Friday. He said they expect that a significant number may have left the area, or will change schools, or may show up from Newman and Roseland Prep. They just have no idea what is going to happen.

As for athletics, this person believes that NCS has waived all transfer eligibility rules. If a kid from school A shows up at school B and wants play football, he can suit up immediately.

NCS voted down the proposal to go back to 8 team brackets this postseason. They also got rid of the requirement that teams must be at least .500 to make the playoffs. Irvington @ Foothill still a possible 1st round thriller.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/1...-with-16-team-brackets-for-football-playoffs/

From the NCS website:

“After an emergency meeting of the NCS Executive Committee on 10/20, there has been a moratorium on NCS Bylaw 504H.f for all 2017 fall sports, due to the overwhelming Northern California fires and subsequent loss of games. This means that any football school (regardless if its record is sub-.500) may apply for the NCS football playoffs.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT