ADVERTISEMENT

In praise of Brittany Boyd

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
I have been guilty of criticizing Brittany Boyd too much over the years, and for whatever it's worth (not much, really), here's an apologia.

Since I first saw her play as a freshman at Hercules, through her time at Berkeley High, in her career at Cal, and her WNBA run with the Liberty, she has always been the ultimate competitor. She plays hard, she battles, and she never backs down.

There are flaws in her game, of course, as there are in every player's game, and at 26, it doesn't seem likely she's going to make a huge leap forward, so she is who she is, pretty much -- and her record of achievement is impressive.

Boyd was an elite high school player on a powerhouse Berkeley team, and her fire and energy were crucial to that 77-12 three-year run that culminated a state championship game loss. She averaged double figures every year at Cal for a team that went 103-34.

Her WNBA time has been less successful, but it's important to remember just how challenging and difficult that league is. Katie Lou Samuelson, to name just one example, went from elite to unknown as soon as she arrived. Boyd's abilities have kept her in the league, despite injuries, and though, again, the flaws in her game are present, she's playing in the WNBA -- and that's a major achievement right there.

It's way too easy to forget how great certain players are when they move on, and especially if they can't duplicate their prep and college success at the pro level. But that doesn't detract from their achievements, and Brittany Boyd has a career's worth to be proud of.

Reactions: observer22
Can’t be an apology if it’s not worth anything. She plays her role on the NY Liberty. Ranked high in assist, plays great defense and helps lead her team.

is it though? why are we censoring someone's opinion.

A reckless accusation of racism is beyond the pale. And, by the way, this site exists at the pleasure of the owners. We simply post and bloviate. We have no inherent right to do so. By definition, we have to observe the rules of the owners. The deleted post in question was way, way, way out of bounds.

A reckless accusation of racism is beyond the pale. And, by the way, this site exists at the pleasure of the owners. We simply post and bloviate. We have no inherent right to do so. By definition, we have to observe the rules of the owners. The deleted post in question was way, way, way out of bounds.
over on the boys side someone commented about two kids being from nigeria when they are from sudan... i will
1. The ESPN coverage was HORRIBLE! All the announcers could talk about was the 20+ D1 players on STA. Nothing about DLS teamwork, etc. But that is typical of the ESPN approach to praise individuals over team.

2. Garrett got 187 yards in 17 carries against a great team. He is definitely the second best running back in northern/central California after Kendall Milton of Buchanan (Garrett is, I think, now better than Ngata of Folsom).

3. I don't see DLS losing to anyone on their remaining schedule until they meet MD or SJB in the State Game.

4. Teams like STA, IMG, Bishop Gorman, MD, and SJB are ruining high school football with their blatant recruiting. To put in perspective, if DLS was a true recruiting machine, the Liberty qb would be a Spartan. I mean, do you really think the 20+ STA D-1 stars live in wealthy Ft. Lauderdale, where STA is located?

THIS IS PRETTY RACIST AS WELL........ JUST SAYING.... IT STILL IS GATHERING VIEWS ON THE FOOTBALL FORUM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT