ADVERTISEMENT

Jalal Beauchman is the new HC at Bellarmine

Hatchball

Sports Fanatic
Sep 18, 2010
Bellarmine College Preparatory has named Jalal Beauchman as its new varsity football head coach. Beauchman is the successor to longtime coach Mike Janda who announced earlier this year that he was stepping down from the position after a remarkable 36-year career as Bellarmine’s varsity football head coach.

Beauchman comes with solid credentials. He has been Bellarmine’s head freshman football coach and assistant JV football coach, having also served as offensive coordinator and offensive play-caller for each. His 2019 frosh football team earned the WCAL Championship with an impressive 9-0 record.

“Jalal is an innovative coach who will continue the legendary Bellarmine football tradition,” said Mike Sullivan, director of athletics. “We are excited for the leadership, passion, and direction he will bring to our program.

“We are thrilled to have Jalal step into this role,” said Kristina Luscher, Bellarmine principal. “His experience within the program, his passion for Bellarmine football, and his commitment to continuing Bellarmine football’s long-standing focus on developing young men of character will serve our student- athletes well.”

A Bellarmine alumnus from the class of 2006, Beauchman was a three-year varsity football letterman with the Bells and was the 2005 WCAL Receiver of the Year. He went on to earn a Bachelor of Science degree from San Jose State University, where he was also a wide receiver for the Spartans, graduating in 2010 as team captain and at number three on SJSU’s all-time receptions list at the time.

“I have dedicated my entire coaching career to carrying on the Bellarmine football tradition,” said Beauchman. “Developing the complete Bellarmine student-athlete, in line with the school’s commitment to Catholic and Jesuit values, has been the honor of my life; and leading the program back to the prominence it enjoyed for so long under Coach Janda is my dream.”

Ummm I understand he’s an alumni. But a coach who has never even been a position coach at the varsity level is now a head coach at a WCAL school..... with the 4-5 other coaches i know who applied whose resume’s would blow him out the water. I dont get it..

Reactions: Bkelly5
Ummm I understand he’s an alumni. But a coach who has never even been a position coach at the varsity level is now a head coach at a WCAL school..... with the 4-5 other coaches i know who applied whose resume’s would blow him out the water. I dont get it..

Meh. His former college teammate Dwight Lowery had no experience at all (not even JV/Frosh) and took over his alma mater and turned them around extremely fast. I understand that’s not an apples to apples comparison because Bellarmine plays at a much higher level then Soquel, but Beauchman also has coaching experience and Lowery didn’t. Resumés aren’t everything.

Reactions: Scott2138
Makes you wonder why they had interviews in the first place? They don’t have the same due diligence rules in place that public schools do. If this was their guy why waste everyone else’s time?

The last time the Bells hired a Head Coach was 1985 when they promoted the Freshman coach. That season they won the WCAL and made the CCS final ( when there was only one final) .

There will be some growing pains for sure but the enthusiasm and ability to relate and motivate the players will be 10x better than what had been going on the last 5 years.

The Tradition will continue.

Because it is high school football. Jalal will be fine, he knows how to lead, is organized and understands the charter.

Reactions: SpeedCity51
I’m not a Bellarmine guy, but I think this is a good hire. Brings energy to a program that needs it. Remember Patrick Walsh was a youngster when he was hired by Serra 20 years ago.

Will be interesting to see if the Bells change their offensive philosophy and if they can get 22 guys who can play football out of the 1,600 they have on campus.

When Serra hired Walsh in 2001, the school needed to boost its football program to help increase enrollment, alumni interest (donations), publicity, etc. Bellarmine is not in that situation, at least when it comes to enrollment. The Jesuit institution does not need to tinker with its admission/scholarship formula to add students. There is a long waiting list to get into the school. So don't expect an influx of athletic youngsters who may be marginal academically.

I find it interesting that they "stayed in the family" with the hire, but also, having someone who is passionate about the school isn't a bad way to go either. That skill is super important at the HS level.

I find it interesting that they "stayed in the family" with the hire, but also, having someone who is passionate about the school isn't a bad way to go either. That skill is super important at the HS level.
High school football is an after school sport, why not hire someone on campus who has been there a long time, is already a good fit for the school and coaches football? Reality is most schools will lean that direction, these are not college or NFL hiring processes.

Bellarmine has never come across to me as a winning-means-everything program. Like Kickingtee18 mentioned I think understanding the charter and school philosophy is more important than hiring the best football mind with the flashiest resume. Also by hiring young it looks like they hope Jalal is in for a long run like Janda.

When Serra hired Walsh in 2001, the school needed to boost its football program to help increase enrollment, alumni interest (donations), publicity, etc. Bellarmine is not in that situation, at least when it comes to enrollment. The Jesuit institution does not need to tinker with its admission/scholarship formula to add students. There is a long waiting list to get into the school. So don't expect an influx of athletic youngsters who may be marginal academically.

Why would they tinker with the admissions formula? Football players can be good in the classroom. They probably already have 20 or so kids who would be good at football. They have 1,600 boys. They just need to get them interested in the program.

I vaguely remember him when he played as a very good player. Before the Carta Samuel teams. Seems he had time to learn under Janda as player and frosh coach and he evidently had buy-in from his players who went undefeated (probably also had some talent). Since he also excelled and played WR at Bellarmine and at a passing offense in college, I would think he might spruce up the paint drying offense at Bellarmine and throw the ball a little more which is a good thing for the fans. At many of the privates, they keep the hiring internal for coaches that live and understand the culture. I think Janda is great, but also think it was time to make a change and get some excitement back into the program.

Bellarmine has to deal with three regional all-star prep football programs in the WCAL: Valley Christian, St. Francis and Serra. Examine those three rosters and compare them to Bellarmine's over the last three or four years. There is a big difference in size, speed, depth, play-makers, sophistication and physicality. Those three opposing programs are producing significantly more college-level players than the current Bells' operation. Maybe that will change. We'll see. But, for now, the Warriors, Lancers and Padres are at a different level.

Serra could have some issues
Next years Senior class is the weakest Serra has had in years.
How much can the Missile and other Jr's compensate for the lack of Senior talent especially on the O and D lines.

SF in similar situation . Seniors just OK..... Jr's fantastic

Valley is in the best shape by far great Sr and Jr classes

I remember Beauchman at Campbell Little league T-ball. His talent level was waaaaay above all the other kids. Sadly he didn’t continue playing baseball and focused on other sports, at which he excelled. I think he is a good choice to get the Bells back on track.

Reactions: jordan24
Bellarmine has never come across to me as a winning-means-everything program. Like Kickingtee18 mentioned I think understanding the charter and school philosophy is more important than hiring the best football mind with the flashiest resume. Also by hiring young it looks like they hope Jalal is in for a long run like Janda.
And their somewhat recent history is nothing to sneeze at. Two state bowl appearances and ALMOST making NorCal history for the past thirty years?

Bellarmine has to deal with three regional all-star prep football programs in the WCAL: Valley Christian, St. Francis and Serra. Examine those three rosters and compare them to Bellarmine's over the last three or four years. There is a big difference in size, speed, depth, play-makers, sophistication and physicality. Those three opposing programs are producing significantly more college-level players than the current Bells' operation. Maybe that will change. We'll see. But, for now, the Warriors, Lancers and Padres are at a different level.

And not too long ago Bellarmine was at a different level then anybody in the WCAL.

And not too long ago Bellarmine was at a different level then anybody in the WCAL.

Let's not go quite that far. The Bells have had more than their share of solid WCAL competition ever since Patrick Walsh showed up at Serra (2001) and VC joined the circuit (2002). Since that point, the San Jose Jesuits have gone from competitive to dismal. That doesn't mean they can't rebound and re-join the party. They most certainly can. But it will not happen overnight.

Let's not go quite that far. The Bells have had more than their share of solid WCAL competition ever since Patrick Walsh showed up at Serra (2001) and VC joined the circuit (2002). Since that point, the San Jose Jesuits have gone from competitive to dismal. That doesn't mean they can't rebound and re-join the party. They most certainly can. But it will not happen overnight.

Over 9 years (07-15) they finished first in the WCAL in the Calpreps rankings 7 times. So, I would most definitely “go that far”.

Your argument is stronger if you narrow the time frame. If you go from 2007 through 2012, Bellarmine won or shared the WCAL title in five of those six seasons, winning three times outright. The Bells were clearly the dominant program during that run. Stretching the time frame through 2015, though, weakens your case. Here's the WCAL championship box score for that nine-season period:

League titles won or shared

Bellarmine 6; Serra 3; VC 2; Mitty 2; St. Francis 1.

Who's at the top of that list?

Makes you wonder why they had interviews in the first place? They don’t have the same due diligence rules in place that public schools do. If this was their guy why waste everyone else’s time?
Need to have a process to have multiple candidates. Can't put all the eggs in one basket. Maybe Bellarmine wanted to see if going outside the organization would be better. Guess ultimately they decided to stay in house. Continuity counts for something.

Your argument is stronger if you narrow the time frame. If you go from 2007 through 2012, Bellarmine won or shared the WCAL title in five of those six seasons, winning three times outright. The Bells were clearly the dominant program during that run. Stretching the time frame through 2015, though, weakens your case. Here's the WCAL championship box score for that nine-season period:

They were the team to beat not too long ago! WCAL has cycles too.

Wasn’t an “argument”, just relaying facts.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Someone close confirmed to me Caragher applied, also Tony Franks of St. Mary’s, Steve Papin, and Paul Rosa of Wilcox
Great list. It tells me that many great candidates did apply. It did occur to me that maybe it’s the candidates that didn’t want the job because of pay, teaching, or whatever.

So if there is an internal candidate a school likes they should immediately shut down the process and hire them without interviewing a single person?

Reactions: aztecpadre
So if there is an internal candidate a school likes they should immediately shut down the process and hire them without interviewing a single person?

No. Likes is one thing. But if it was pre determined yes. Unfortunately we don’t have a crystal ball to determine that. In any case it’s done and the real results will unveil themselves over the next few years.

Great list. It tells me that many great candidates did apply. It did occur to me that maybe it’s the candidates that didn’t want the job because of pay, teaching, or whatever.

that is solid list...yes coaching jobs are complicated by roles at the school. It is REALLY important for coaches to be on campus. While it can be done from off campus, for solid programs, head coaches are typically teachers on campus. Many great coaches are PE teachers and anyone that teaches PE knows those JOBS do not open up.

One name that surprise me is Rosas; pretty sure Wilcox has been solid for years and they are at the top of their game.... I know his son is graduating but still that is curious to me

Reactions: ds1968
that is solid list...yes coaching jobs are complicated by roles at the school. It is REALLY important for coaches to be on campus. While it can be done from off campus, for solid programs, head coaches are typically teachers on campus. Many great coaches are PE teachers and anyone that teaches PE knows those JOBS do not open up.

One name that surprise me is Rosas; pretty sure Wilcox has been solid for years and they are at the top of their game.... I know his son is graduating but still that is curious to me

The resources Bellarmine has compared to a Wilcox, even if Bellarmine went 0-10 the last 5 years it be a better job than Wilcox. The pay, facilities and talent you can recruit at a WCAL and especially a campus like Bellarmine will always make it a top job.

The resources Bellarmine has compared to a Wilcox, even if Bellarmine went 0-10 the last 5 years it be a better job than Wilcox. The pay, facilities and talent you can recruit at a WCAL and especially a campus like Bellarmine will always make it a top job.

that makes sense and agree it is a top job. Is Rosas a teacher? Because public school teachers have tenure and a SOLID pension. So private is not always better pay if you teach. The coach pay probably is better (but that's only thousands) but if rosas is a public school teacher doesn't make sense to me. 401K does not compare to pension.

But I would question 0-10 for 5 years being better. That makes no sense especially if you have resources facilities and recruitment. Yeah WCAL is top league but if you have all that and you're 0-10 you should look for a different role or profession

Someone close confirmed to me Caragher applied, also Tony Franks of St. Mary’s, Steve Papin, and Paul Rosa of Wilcox

That would be very interesting if Tony Franks got involved. Big geographic move and he seems to be in a good spot for him at SMS. I know he was tied to a college job a couple of years ago and that seems like a more logical route.

Janda was, and still is, a full-time chemistry teacher at Bellarmine, the coaching was more of a side-hustle for him. I'm not even sure how much extra money they pay their head coach but I bet the lion's share of his salary has always been from the teaching position.

Reactions: ds1968
No. Likes is one thing. But if it was pre determined yes. Unfortunately we don’t have a crystal ball to determine that. In any case it’s done and the real results will unveil themselves over the next few years.

Exactly. That’s why I don’t think anybody should be speculating that this was pre-determined. We don’t know, and we won’t know.

That would be very interesting if Tony Franks got involved. Big geographic move and he seems to be in a good spot for him at SMS. I know he was tied to a college job a couple of years ago and that seems like a more logical route.
Had the same thought...he was a finalist for the Southern Oregon job 3 years ago. Seems like he's looking for a change

Tradition and loyalty over talent and unknown chemistry. Pretty simple and clear.

Tradition and loyalty over talent and unknown chemistry. Pretty simple and clear.

It’s not actually “simple and clear” that the other candidates have more “talent”. It would be more accurate to say Beauchman is an unknown in that area, not that he is inferior. I wouldn’t nitpick if you didn’t make a clear distinction for the other coaches in saying that the chemistry aspect for them was unknown. We don’t know how good of a coach he will be. But I mean, I don’t think it’s crazy to suggest a former D1 player that played under Dick Tomey and Mike Macyntire might end up being a very good high school head coach.

Reactions: ankleassassin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT