ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Goff

TheFolsomBulldog

Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2015
I am shocked nobody has mentioned Jared Goff on here, being a local guy and all. Can anyone explain to me why he hasn't sniffed the field? Is he that bad? Are the Rams clueless? Somebody fill me in.

Can someone from MC chime in? I am hearing chatter that he is the next NFL bust....

I am shocked nobody has mentioned Jared Goff on here, being a local guy and all. Can anyone explain to me why he hasn't sniffed the field? Is he that bad? Are the Rams clueless? Somebody fill me in.

Can someone from MC chime in? I am hearing chatter that he is the next NFL bust....
Besides Jeff Fischer being the most over rated coach who prerenially is below .500 with every team he has coached, yet somehow still comes back each year? No, cant explain it.

Reactions: sarpar
Besides Jeff Fischer being the most over rated coach who prerenially is below .500 with every team he has coached, yet somehow still comes back each year? No, cant explain it.
Just seems bizarre to me. I am hearing multiple things so I'm not sure what to believe.

Just seems bizarre to me. I am hearing multiple things so I'm not sure what to believe.
Sorry, my answer was more because I loathe Jeff Fischer. Ive also read that they have no one on staff that has groomed a QB to a high level. But your confusion is in line with everyone else's, even in the National media. No one can understand why he is still running Keenum out there.

Sorry, my answer was more because I loathe Jeff Fischer. Ive also read that they have no one on staff that has groomed a QB to a high level. But your confusion is in line with everyone else's, even in the National media. No one can understand why he is still running Keenum out there.
I mean the only thing I can think of is he is that bad in practice and isn't picking up the offense? That has to be the only reason. All the other top QB'S from that draft are all playing and most are starting.

My guess is that Goff is still learning the offense. I think most of the college spread offenses, like the one he ran at Cal, are simplified in order to play at a fast pace. The Rams were on Hard Knocks this offseason and I think one of the play calls was something like 19 words long.

As a Rams fan, I'm not too worried about Goff not starting as a rookie. That offense needs a lot more than a good quarterback. A new coaching staff, offensive line, and a playmaker or two at wide receiver would be nice.

If they start Goff now and he succeeds then Fisher looks like an Ass for not doing this earlier when they were still in playoff contention. If he puts him in and he sucks then it's a bust. They are gonna sit him out this year or for at least most of it

The Rams are a mediocre team at best. Why not play him so he gets experience? All the other first rounders were thrown in the fire. Why not him? Makes me think something is up besides just sitting him out.

Personally, I think sitting him out is the absolute best thing that could happen to him. Bring him along slowly and don't mess him up the way the 49ers did with Alex Smith. Anyone who thinks a Rookie QB can come in and be the saviour is deceived.

Personally, I think sitting him out is the absolute best thing that could happen to him. Bring him along slowly and don't mess him up the way the 49ers did with Alex Smith. Anyone who thinks a Rookie QB can come in and be the saviour is deceived.
I don't think anyone expects a savior. Wouldn't it be fair to think he could perform to par with Carson Wentz, Jamis Winston, or a Mariota? Those guys started day 1. You could argue they are even flourishing despite none of them really being on a great team.

Rams are more than just a QB from turning it around. Why let him get crushed ala Troy Aikman. No reason to play him this year.

Rams are more than just a QB from turning it around. Why let him get crushed ala Troy Aikman. No reason to play him this year.
Remember Eli Manning once he got inserted for Kurt Warner? He got crushed. He was a rookie. You could argue it was the best thing for him. This came from Kurt Warner himself.

Just a thought. Everyone seems to be giving Goff a pass. He is the first number one pick to not start in how long? Something is up. Dude is standing on the sideline not even in uniform.

Last edited:
Remember Eli Manning once he got inserted for Kurt Warner? He got crushed. He was a rookie. You could argue it was the best thing for him. This came from Kurt Warner himself.

Just a thought. Everyone seems to be giving Goff a pass. He is the first number one pick to not start in how long? Something is up. Dude is standing on the sideline not even in uniform.

He's been the backup since week 2 definitely in uniform

I got it. But something is up. It just smells fishy. I don't believe that he is the ONLY first round QB that isn't equipped to start. Especially on that team. Guys drafted after him are starting on similar teams with decent results.

Worked out well for Paxton Lynch and his one start lol he was totally ready

I think it is because he was overrated coming out of a CAL system which throws the ball 60+ times a game and schedules weak non conference opponents. And the media hyped him into something he was not (a 1st overall pick).

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
I think it is because he was overrated coming out of a CAL system which throws the ball 60+ times a game and schedules weak non conference opponents. And the media hyped him into something he was not (a 1st overall pick).
I heard something similar in the system was called "the air raid" which had him in shotgun 100 percent of the time. Tough adjustment to the NFL. I think you're right and this has a lot to do with it.

Still- if he's your long term franchise guy, get him in the game. It's not like you have tons of chances to get snaps in the NFL. They are precious.

Fisher feels that Keenum gives them the best chance to win now. Hes already said Keenum will be the starter until they are eliminated from playoff contention. Some coaches like to groom QBs instead of just throwing them out there. Ya the rookie QBs have had success this year so far but lets not forget none of them would have been starting if it wasnt for injuries. The Rams are bad and Fisher probably feels like he will be setting him up to fail by just throwing him out there.

Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, and Jamarcus Russell didnt start as rookies.

Ya they did not start as rookies, but WHO was in front of them??? Goff is not playing over " Case Keenum " ..... He must be performing really bad.

I am not sure on Palmer. And we all know about JaBustas Russell. But Eli Manning did start as a rookie. Not sure what week he was inserted, but he replaced Kurt Warner and was awful the entire year. He admitted later that it was the most humbling learning experience of his career.

I am not sure on Palmer. And we all know about JaBustas Russell. But Eli Manning did start as a rookie. Not sure what week he was inserted, but he replaced Kurt Warner and was awful the entire year. He admitted later that it was the most humbling learning experience of his career.

I was referring to starting from day 1. Eli came in when the Giants were 5-4. He led them to a 1-6 record. Carson didnt take a single snap his rookie year. It might sound funny but the Rams are only 2 games out of a playoff spot. Fisher is more concerned on competing this year than throwing Goff out there and seeing if he succeeds or fails. Dak wouldnt have touched the field if Romo doesnt get hurt. Wentz isnt the starter if Bridgewater doesnt go down because the Eagles never would have traded Bradford. Kessler isnt the starter if RG3 doesnt get hurt. The only reason there are rookie QBs playing this year is because of injuries. Its not fair to compare the other rookies to Goff because they had different situations. Sure Keenum isnt a great QB but he is still a vet who has an immediate advantage over Goff because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: slick58
I was referring to starting from day 1. Eli came in when the Giants were 5-4. He led them to a 1-6 record. Carson didnt take a single snap his rookie year. It might sound funny but the Rams are only 2 games out of a playoff spot. Fisher is more concerned on competing this year than throwing Goff out there and seeing if he succeeds or fails. Dak wouldnt have touched the field if Romo doesnt get hurt. Wentz isnt the starter if Bridgewater doesnt go down because the Eagles never would have traded Bradford. Kessler isnt the starter if RG3 doesnt get hurt. The only reason there are rookie QBs playing this year is because of injuries. Its not fair to compare the other rookies to Goff because they had different situations. Sure Keenum isnt a great QB but he is still a vet who has an immediate advantage over Goff because of that.
Actually Wentz beat out Bradford. Bradford demanded to be traded. The Eagles benefited big time since they got great value for a back up.

Winston started day 1. Mariota day 1. Wentz day 1. Dak day 1. You can argue that some were due to unusual circumstance, but they have all flourished.

Keenum is a career back up on a mediocre team. He hasn't succeeded and won't anywhere he goes. Something is wrong with this Goff situation and it looks like some people, possibly because he is a Norcal kid, are taking it personally.

Rumor is...and this is only a rumor. You have all heard it as well- is that he is most likely a bust and the Rams are trying to ease the pain. This may just be a rumor, but it's out there. Somethings not right. The Rams have zero chance at the playoffs and still aren't playing him. Anyone stating they have a shot is full of it. Let's be honest here.

Fischer is focused on competing this year? Are you nuts. This team lost to the 49ers! What's worse is they can't score points because they don't have a QB who can throw, yet drafted a QB number one, who they won't play! Lol!

Aaron Rogers sat for a few years because he had Brett Favre in front of him. Arguing the same case to sit in favor of Case Keenum is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old-e
Actually Wentz beat out Bradford. Bradford demanded to be traded. The Eagles benefited big time since they got great value for a back up.

Winston started day 1. Mariota day 1. Wentz day 1. Dak day 1. You can argue that some were due to unusual circumstance, but they have all flourished.

Keenum is a career back up on a mediocre team. He hasn't succeeded and won't anywhere he goes. Something is wrong with this Goff situation and it looks like some people, possibly because he is a Norcal kid, are taking it personally.

Rumor is...and this is only a rumor. You have all heard it as well- is that he is most likely a bust and the Rams are trying to ease the pain. This may just be a rumor, but it's out there. Somethings not right. The Rams have zero chance at the playoffs and still aren't playing him. Anyone stating they have a shot is full of it. Let's be honest here.

Actually Wentz wasnt named the starter until after Bradford was traded. He wasnt even playing because he hurt his ribs in the preseason. Bradford demanded the trade before training camp. Eagles would have been fools to decline a 1st rounder for Bradford.
I have no connection to Goff and could really care less if he fails of succeeds. Just think its dumb to compare the Rams and Goffs situation to everyone elses. Coaches all have different ways to groom players. Jeff Fisher has been a head coach for 22 years and he has never started the season with a rookie as his QB.
Ya the Rams wont make the playoffs but like I said they are only two games back. Theyve beat the Cardinals and the Seahawks this year already who many consider to be playoff teams. Goff isnt going to play until they are eliminated. You praise Eli for sitting half the year but you are bashing Goff so I dont really get it. Goff will play by the end of the year. He might be a bust but I dont think you can tell that from 4 preseason games and half a season of practice.

Actually Wentz wasnt named the starter until after Bradford was traded. He wasnt even playing because he hurt his ribs in the preseason. Bradford demanded the trade before training camp. Eagles would have been fools to decline a 1st rounder for Bradford.
I have no connection to Goff and could really care less if he fails of succeeds. Just think its dumb to compare the Rams and Goffs situation to everyone elses. Coaches all have different ways to groom players. Jeff Fisher has been a head coach for 22 years and he has never started the season with a rookie as his QB.
Ya the Rams wont make the playoffs but like I said they are only two games back. Theyve beat the Cardinals and the Seahawks this year already who many consider to be playoff teams. Goff isnt going to play until they are eliminated. You praise Eli for sitting half the year but you are bashing Goff so I dont really get it. Goff will play by the end of the year. He might be a bust but I dont think you can tell that from 4 preseason games and half a season of practice.
I'm not bashing Goff at all. Frankly, I have no idea how he will end up. I started the thread because after everything I have been hearing, I felt something was up. There are some interesting theories out there. As I said before, something seems off. I'm just not buying what the Rams are selling.

The comparisons are fair. Goff was the 1st pick. The Rams aren't God awful. He could use the experience if he's going to be the franchise QB. Keenum is an absolutely throw away. That's what seems so fishy.

At the NFL level it is a business. They are a new California team. The Rams chose Goff because he is a great QB, and marketing the Cali kid in SoCal. You have to have momentum and something to look forward to as a business. They waited until the final seconds in the draft to announce Goff as the pick for PR. You are correct Bulldog they are likely not going to make the playoffs. So if he was the starter now on a lousy to average team fans and media would not have much to be excited about for next year. Chances are they start him down the final stretch in some winnable games and get the fans excited for him and the Rams in 2017 as Goffs team. In order to be a bust, you have to play and bust. The coach & GM will get fired before Goff does at this point. I think he will play and he will rise, just a matter of when.

61... what's you're big interest in Goff? Not your high school, college. Worry about your boy up in Seattle. Goff will be fine

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
I think G61's Goff bashing inuendo has something to do with Browning's performance against USC Saturday.
The thread was started on Friday. Wasn't the USC/UW game on Saturday? Tough to predict a performance a day in advance. Go Trojans! Just glad we finally have a Qb for the foreseeable future baby

Last edited:
This is pro football and the Rams and Ficsher think Case gives them the best chance to win. So for that reason he starts. Case is a young QB as well so acting as if he is a "throw away" player is foolish. The kid has 3 years experience at the pro level and he himself doesn't have many reps in the league. It also been rumored that Ficsher didn't really want Goff to begin with so that might have something to do with it, but I doubt it. If Goff had out played Case he would be starting but h didn't so he isn't. Did you guys even watch him in preseason? If you did this shouldn't really be a question.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Goff preseason #'s. 2TDS. 2INTS 3Fumbles Less than 45% completion percentage. And you guys wonder why he isn't playing? I mean really.

The NFL is full of QBs that are backups at best. Rams have a backup at starter. 49ers have two back ups. Goff has the talent to be a really good player but his clock wont start for the reason Fisher knows as soon as he starts him, his hot seat is on. He can go to management and say well I havent given it the best chance without our #1 pick yet.

If I'm the Niners, I build your offensive line and front 7 on D first before you even think about getting a skilled position player.

ADVERTISEMENT