ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Brown update: I had a 30+ minute conversation with his dad last week

BenParker

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Hey guys, for those that don't know me, I'm the Cal basketball reporter for Rivals over at GoldenBearReport.com. Last week, I had a 30+ minute conversation with Jordan Brown's father Dion. Below is what I posted on our message boards last week. I figured I would share it on here.

Hey guys, I just had a 30+ minute conversation with Jordan Brown’s father Dion Brown, Sr. I’m aiming to interview Jordan shortly, but I figured I would give you a quick summary of my conversation with Dion.

First off, Jordan had a successful trip to Italy and USA Basketball. During that time, Dion stayed in contact with Wyking Jones about how things went. So, the communication appears to be strong there. Arizona, UCLA, and John Calipari (USA Basketball U19 head coach) liked what they saw from him. The main thing that schools like about Jordan is his motor and that he keeps on going. He’s willing to battle for rebounds and do other things when he isn’t scoring the basketball. The main thing that they are working on with Jordan is just getting bigger, stronger, and more physical.

The main knock on Jordan has been his physicality, but Dion feels like Jordan proved himself during Italy and USA Basketball. I.e. He feels like Jordan proved that he can hold his own against bigger players, etc. Dion feels that as Jordan continues to get bigger, stronger, and more athletic, he’ll undergo an even more dynamic transformation.

I told Dion I see a lot of Tim Duncan in Jordan's game due to his finesse moves and ability to use the glass. Dion sees that comparison, but sees more LaMarcus Aldridge in Jordan's game due to his post moves and fade away spin moves. I thought that was interesting.

As far as the recruiting trail is concerned, I’ll get the details from Jordan about that, but Dion did mention UCLA and Arizona as the other two schools that were really taking notice of him. I did ask about Calipari taking notice and whether or not Kentucky is close to extending an offer. Dion didn’t really know whether or not Kentucky would extend him an offer, but he was honored by the fact that Coach Calipari took such serious interest in his game. While this appears to be a UCLA, Cal, and Arizona race, Kentucky would have really good odds at landing him if they decided to offer him a scholarship.

Dion also asked me about Jabari Bird and Ivan Rabb going to the NBA and how excited I was about that. We had a good conversation about those two. He said they were really excited to see them both get drafted since they are local guys and everything. Jordan has met Rabb a few times, has shook his hand, etc. So, there does appear to be a strong connection with guys who stayed local and went to Cal.

What I’m taking away from this conversation more than anything is that Cal definitely appears to be in there. UCLA and Arizona are definite threats as is Kentucky if they offer, but the good news is that there does appear to be a strong connection to the local guys (Bird and Rabb) and a strong affinity for staying close to home. I could totally see Jordan wanting to come to Cal to continue that tradition and follow in their footsteps.

Note: Dion did give me some more info on Jordan's hand injury, but didn't want me sharing anything, which I respected. However, since it has been made public that Jordan has a hand injury, what I will tell you is that he's been dealing with it for a while (Since the State Championship game) and discovered that he had a fracture after coming back from Italy. So, that's the deal there.

I find it very odd that a top 5 player in the country hasn't been offered by more schools. This kid should have 50 offers.

Is there any truth to the rumor that he May Be Leaving Woodcreek and heading
to a prep school for his senior year?

50 offers...Lol.. I would say its a testament to his inner circle. Why would he want to pile up offers from school's he has no interest in anyway? The biggest issue with kids and offers today is, the "offer" has no substance! Assistant coaches are out offering kids like crazy, it has become the norm. Then social media and informed newspaper guys jump on the bandwagon. If a head coach does not call you and your parents personally, come to your games, and offer you a official visit, your offer was crap!

no, that's not gonna happen, he's very loyal to his teammates at woodcreek...the brown family could've sought out a prep school or a more high profile aau team a long time ago but that's not how they roll...dion brown is not like marvin bagley sr or kyree walker's dad shopping for the best "deal"

Reactions: BenParker
no, that's not gonna happen, he's very loyal to his teammates at woodcreek...the brown family could've sought out a prep school or a more high profile aau team a long time ago but that's not how they roll...dion brown is not like marvin bagley sr or kyree walker's dad shopping for the best "deal"
Jordan Brown is not on the same level as Marvin Bagley. Bagley is a sure thing!!!

Time will tell on that. I've heard in several gyms he's going to Capital Christian or Prolific Prep.

Following Elias King to Capital Christian forming a team ready to make a run at a state title.

If they didn't get down 15-1 too Bishop Monty he would already have a ring at Woodcreek. Why leave?

If they didn't get down 15-1 too Bishop Monty he would already have a ring at Woodcreek. Why leave?

Because for players who have a chance to earn money (a lot of it) in the NBA, it is not about state championships, it is about being prepared for college to succeed immediately and then possibly get to the NBA.

The longer you are in college, the less money you will earn playing professionally (one less year of income and drop in draft status).

Players of that stature need:

- Better competition daily at practice
- Better competition in games
- A few less time restrictions (SJS and other Sections in the CIF can't start until early November)
- Better challenging of IQ
- More challenges
- More work on the body and conditioning
- A challenge to their mentality and how they approach the game
- More peer challenging, be around others of similar size and athleticism and motivation
- The duplication of what you will see in college and possibly in the NBA as it relates to on court game translation
- Better coaching as it pertains to the individual and his skill set
- Reduce the opportunity to get injured by playing with guys as athletic and as big as you and can move as opposed to kids who may be half your size, and can't move as well, not as athletic, and can't react like you can
- Expand your game and focus on the things that translate to the next level as opposed to focusing on winning a game (you may have an advantage on the floor in a regular HS game and you have to go to that because the goal is to win, however at the next level, you may not be able to do that because it won't be allowed)

The difference over 4 years between the #1 pick (Markelle Fultzz) and the #20 pick for example (Harry Giles) is:

$37,400,017
and
$10,621,750

That is a difference of approximately: 27 million dollars

There is a lot at stake financially for guys who have the potential to play in the NBA, and every year not maximized to realize someone's potential, could cost that person millions of dollars.

It's not all about State Championships for guys like Jordan Brown.

Because for players who have a chance to earn money (a lot of it) in the NBA, it is not about state championships, it is about being prepared for college to succeed immediately and then possibly get to the NBA.

The longer you are in college, the less money you will earn playing professionally (one less year of income and drop in draft status).

- A few less time restrictions (SJS and other Sections in the CIF can't start until early November)
- More challenges
- More peer challenging, be around others of similar size and athleticism and motivation
- The duplication of what you will see in college and possibly in the NBA as it relates to on court game translation
- Reduce the opportunity to get injured by playing with guys as athletic and as big as you and can move as opposed to kids who may be half your size, and can't move as well, not as athletic, and can't react like you can
- Expand your game and focus on the things that translate to the next level as opposed to focusing on winning a game (you may have an advantage on the floor in a regular HS game and you have to go to that because the goal is to win, however at the next level, you may not be able to do that because it won't be allowed)

The difference over 4 years between the #1 pick (Markelle Fultzz) and the #20 pick for example (Harry Giles) is:

$37,400,017
and
$10,621,750

There is a lot at stake financially for guys who have the potential to play in the NBA, and every year not maximized to realize someone's potential, could cost that person millions of dollars.

- More challenges

$37,400,017
and
$10,621,750

Disagree with you about bishop Montgomery, they were so much better than woddcreek and their tallest player maybe was 6'6. Jordan Brown gave everything he had just to keep them in the game. I thought that's was the hardest I've ever seen him play. If he wants to go to the NBA he must play like that every game. Kids in his position aren't thinking of college, they can pick their schools by their soph year. They are thinking pros and how quick they can get there, and quite frankly you can't blame them. Think about it going into his 12th grade year how much better is Brown, than Oliver, Chriss, and Wilson? There are many pros/cons. That's why Malik Pope story is a cautionary tale, at 6'10 none of the above mentioned had his skilled set. Although injured he should have did a Harry Giles and come out. He has lost Millions, bit he will recover.

- More challenges

$37,400,017
and
$10,621,750

This argument/logic would make some sense for Prolific, but I do not see the benefit of going to Capital Christian as they are still CIF and still have many of the restrictions you pointed out.

Reactions: 131Pressman
With the CIF rule - the 30 Day sit out period if you transfer, one cannot play until early January after sitting out all of December. Most top players can't afford to sit out that amount of time and it makes no sense to sit out 30 days.

Not many positives sitting out that entire month. If you can prove your transfer was not athletically motivated, then you may win on appeal and not have to sit out the 30 days, but who knows what happens in each section and how they rule.

With the CIF rule - the 30 Day sit out period if you transfer, one cannot play until early January after sitting out all of December. Most top players can't afford to sit out that amount of time and it makes no sense to sit out 30 days.

Not many positives sitting out that entire month. If you can prove your transfer was not athletically motivated, then you may win on appeal and not have to sit out the 30 days, but who knows what happens in each section and how they rule.

Everyone seems to struggle to understand the CIF rules...

If a player transfers to a school after July 1st they don't have to prove it was not athletically motivated. After July 1st came and went whether they say it's for athletic reasons or not it no longer mattered. A player can go to any school of their choice and say it's to play sports.

The sitting out 30 days isn't a new rule. And the only way to avoid sitting out 30 days when transferring is providing the CIF/school with a valid change of address. And that means the current parents/guardians listed at the previous address ALL move to the new address or it isn't considered valid. And the 30 day sit out period would still have to happen.

The rule that trumps all the other rules is the "undue influence" rule. If they can prove the student athlete came to the school through club ball, coach recruitment and etc that athlete would have to sit the entire year from varsity sports even if the families can provide a valid change of address.

In the case of Jordan Brown if he leaves Wood Creek and goes to prep school he is fine to play right away as the CIF has no jurisdiction there. If he goes to Capital Christian or any other CIF governed high school (every HS in CA) he would have to sit 30 days unless the change of address is valid.

Woodcreek lost that game in the first 5 minutes against Bishop Monty. They were overwhelmed and looked lost. I watched both teams play in person a number of times last year and I would agree Bishop Monty was the better team and would win a series of 5 games but in that particular game Woodcreek outscored BM 63-60 after the first 8 minutes and could have come out on top. They started believing but you can't get down that early to a great club. Thompson was the best player I saw last year in all of CA regardless of class/position.

Capital Christian is no upgrade from Woodcreek. In fact I would argue the complete opposite. Hayes is a better coach than anybody CC has had in the past and will have this year. Program is a mess. A revolving door. A prep school doesn't make a lot of sense when you are this good and get exposure playing on National teams every summer. The pro's will be there soon enough. Lonzo Ball did just fine at Chino Hills. (the most public school there is)

For guys that are Top 25 it is no longer about exposure. They do not need exposure.

Those 25 guys are now battling for NBA draft slots where each draft slot is worth about 3.5 million dollars over 4 years. From the 1st pick in the draft to the 30th pick. Drastic difference over 4 years (rookie contract) in regards to dollars earned.

For Top 25 guys it is about development and being ready immediately for college and how the NBA game is currently played. You cannot afford to be not ready.

Not many regular High Schools are running offense for a 6'11 guy the same
way he needs to play in the NBA.

It is not about exposure or State Championships anymore.

It is about maximizing one's skill sets in the way you will play in the NBA, not
how the game is played in most (90%) of high schools.

The quicker Jordan Brown can get reps with functional basketball movement in an offense that is currently relevant in the NBA, the quicker he will be ready to earn money.

Being triple teamed and mugged every High School game is not functional. Case in point every HS game he is playing now. Let's mug him and see if he can make FT's.

Practicing against 6'2 guards and 6'4 football players is not functional, or beneficial, thus he needs to practice every single day in an environment where the play is similar to the NBA and how they play on offense and against kids of his size and mobility.

With the new TV contract in place in the NBA, there are a lot of dollars at stake.

Lonzo Ball had the ball in his hands a vast majority of High School and College and AAU, thus he was able to control to some degree his development (because he is a PG), but when you are a big you have to rely on ball movement, IQ of guards, skill of guards, knowledgeable coaching, and hope you do not get triple or quadruple teamed because you are 6'11 and teams can afford to play 2 on 5 on the defensive end because 3 of the 5 are not skilled enough to make an impact on the offensive end.

Also sitting out 30 days can really affect someone's development.

You guys all sound like agents. If he is good enough ( which he is) the rest will come. I can name tons of players that played for either a public or parochial school in HS and have done just fine in the NBA. Every year there seems to be a rumor of him leaving to a prep school or somewhere else yet he keeps coming back to Woodcreek. Maybe he enjoys being a kid and has a solid group of friends. The money will always be there.

I find it very odd that a top 5 player in the country hasn't been offered by more schools. This kid should have 50 offers.
Eric Bossi would agree with you. He feels he is flying under the radar. Click here to check it out.

I've heard nothing of that rumor. Like Shocky said, Brown is very loyal to his Roseville community and Woodcreek High School. I would expect him to finish up his career there, though I don't know for certain.

Time will tell on that. I've heard in several gyms he's going to Capital Christian or Prolific Prep.

Following Elias King to Capital Christian forming a team ready to make a run at a state title.
I don't for certain what Brown will do, but like I said above he is very loyal to Woodcreek. I would be very surprised to see him leave given how much Woodcreek and Roseville matters to him. He also is doing just fine where he is. He's gonna go to the school of his choice, whether it be Cal, UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, etc.

The era we are currently in reminds me a lot when all that And1 BS came out. Its all hype and garbage. Players get blown up for crossing up a kid. Big F'ing deal. Brown is a throwback player. He doesn't have the highlight reel plays. He just gets you 30 and 15 every night. He will have a long productive NBA career if he keeps progressing like this. A real treat to watch.

Reactions: coachlittle
The era we are currently in reminds me a lot when all that And1 BS came out. Its all hype and garbage. Players get blown up for crossing up a kid. Big F'ing deal. Brown is a throwback player. He doesn't have the highlight reel plays. He just gets you 30 and 15 every night. He will have a long productive NBA career if he keeps progressing like this. A real treat to watch.
I agree with you 'LL, but here is my issue, whenever you have the opportunity as a top 5 player to go against a top tier AAU team or a top 5 player you must have a decisive imprint on the game. He has to evolve as a player in this aspect.

Pass first, i don't disagree with you. Hopefully that killer instinct comes. I just really enjoy watching this kid play. Reminds me a lot of Timmy D. Not saying he's going to have a handful of rings or that sort of career but I think you get my drift.

Pass first, i don't disagree with you. Hopefully that killer instinct comes. I just really enjoy watching this kid play. Reminds me a lot of Timmy D. Not saying he's going to have a handful of rings or that sort of career but I think you get my drift.
oh no doubt he is definitely a pro! College will surely make a man out of him. Ask Chriss and Wilson.

For sure. And at this stage in his career he's a lot better than those 2 were. Those guys were late bloomers which isn't always a bad thing either.

Brown is an interesting player and prospect. He was so big early and mentally tough and mature even as a frosh. Clearly a much better high school player than say Ryan Anderson , Chriss and dj, but where does he fit in with the NBA? He's not really a 5, he doesn't handle to ball or shoot well so definitely not a stretch 4 type. Chriss was much more athletic than him as a senior in high school. I think he will be a one and done because he is 6-10 and long and plays with a great motor. But his skill set specifically his outside shot needs to improve dramatically if he is going to be an impact player in the league.

For sure. And at this stage in his career he's a lot better than those 2 were. Those guys were late bloomers which isn't always a bad thing either.

A lot of big guys do not develop their outside shot till later. P. Ewing was a great example of this. Could not shot very well in college, but became a great shooter from 16 feet and in as a pro. Brown has a lot of potential at the next level and as a pro.

A lot of big guys do not develop their outside shot till later. P. Ewing was a great example of this. Could not shot very well in college, but became a great shooter from 16 feet and in as a pro. Brown has a lot of potential at the next level and as a pro.
P. Ewing...JKidd....child please..........

I am a big fan of his on and off the court maybe the 1st to compare his style of play to the big fundamental, BUT he needs to add a little nasty streak in him, he needs to punish players for challenging him at the rim...I have seen to many players go right at him with no fear. Same thing on offensive end, play with some anger on the o glass and no more soft finishes, this is his time, he has put in the work he has the brains and skill for the highest level including potential to develop deep range (stretch 4) be true to yourself and your game but get a little Rodman motor in you and you got this........

I agree with you 131 very valid points he needs to address his
face up game as has been pointed out already he wil not be a 5 at the next
level or as a potential pro he definitely has the skill set to be a very
special player and a little nasty streak would certainly not hurt his game at
all it will be interesting to see how his senior year plays out at woodcreek.

The rumors of him leaving for Capital Christian are getting louder, I hope they are just rumors but multiple people affiliated with the program are saying....sometimes when there is smoke there is fire....school starts Wednesday guess we will know soon enough.

Wonder how Woodcreek competes on their "national" schedule if Brown is indeed gone. Will be similar to Bishop O Dowd when Brandon Ashley left. They struggled.

They won't compete on any national schedule. It will be 30+ blowouts. They will do fine in the SFL but non league will look bad.

So is he gone? HS started for a bunch of schools this week. Not sure if WC is back yet.

Just spoke with Tolu Jacobs Yaffa, big man for Capital Christian. He told me that Jordan Brown isn't coming to Capital Christian and will most likely stay at Woodcreek.

His exact words: "He's not coming [to Capital Christian]. "Yes, most likely [He's staying at Woodcreek]."

Just thought I'd pass this on. I'm not saying Tolu is right. I'm just passing on what he told me. Seems like it's pretty safe to say he's not going to Capital Christian, though.

I plan to catch up with Jordan's dad, Dion this weekend. He told me on Monday that they were in Houston and that he wanted to chat with me after he got back.

Our conversation had nothing to do with where Jordan would be playing next season. It was just about where things sit with Cal and general recruiting stuff.

I'll see if I can get some info about where Jordan will play next season and see if there is any truth to these rumors.

According to a few students at Woodcreek, Brown has missed the first two days of school and all think he's going to Prep. A coach within the same district heard from coach that the Australian kid, (Cagle) I believe is currently ineligible pending a possible appeal with CIF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT