ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Argenal has been named the new HC at Dominican

Really bad loss for DELA but the timing
And opportunity is great for him congrats and best of luck!

I don't want to alter the thread but lets
Face it the talent level at dela is not what it once was and with Alloco Jr at Clayton valley they are starting to lose players who are opting to either go there or transfer there.

That’s a huge hire for Dominican. This guy has all the pedigree to be coaching d1. It will take a couple classes but Dominican will def improve. Tough loss for DLS. Campo is really the school that has hurt DLS. But DLS will always be competitive.

According to Dominican's website, they only have 6 players on the 2022 roster at this point, so it looks like Argenal will have to look hard for unsigned seniors and juco guys. Their recent roster history shows they have not been averse to snagging NorCal players. Dominican might be worth paying attention to in the upcoming years for us NorCal fans.

Believe it or not... I have actually been to a Dominican home game... Once, years ago. Former Berean star George McKeever was playing for their opponent, Oregon Tech. He didn't play much, being a freshman, but Tech won big and he did get some floor time.

I don't want to alter the thread but lets
Face it the talent level at dela is not what it once was and with Alloco Jr at Clayton valley they are starting to lose players who are opting to either go there or transfer there.

Yeah and Argenal was there for a decent stretch, but now going on a fourth coach in 7 or 8 years doesn't help this dynamic.

Yes and no.
Justin and his older brother were both DLS Grads. He just bought a home nearby DLS ( though the commute to San Rafael will not be a killer)
His older brother I believe is a basketball assistant coach at a d1 school so there's that dynamic.

Update correction: Older brother, Gus is a recent hire at Arkansas, reuniting with head coach Mussleman with whom he worked at Nevada.

Last edited:
Yeah and Argenal was there for a decent stretch, but now going on a fourth coach in 7 or 8 years doesn't help this dynamic.
In the current climate of the zombie virus and the changing dynamics of Prep basketball I think HS coaching has a butt load of challenging coaching variables.
Most HS coaches probably have a 4-6 year shelf life/expiration date.

In the current climate of the zombie virus and the changing dynamics of Prep basketball I think HS coaching has a butt load of challenging coaching variables.
Most HS coaches probably have a 4-6 year shelf life/expiration date.
Definitely agree. We saw a pretty big number of football coaches step down after last year. There has been some moves this off-season for basketball, but not as many as football

This is a temp move for argenal before he gets a d1 job. He’s way too talented to stay at Dominican. Older brother has a great gig at Arkansas with muss.

Even more interesting as to who wants that job even with bunch coming back for his senior year (presumably)they lost Daniel's and Washington to graduation.They maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in that league behind Dublin,granada and monte Vista

Even more interesting as to who wants that job even with bunch coming back for his senior year (presumably)they lost Daniel's and Washington to graduation.They maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in that league behind Dublin,granada and monte Vista
The coaching instability at DLS has come at a time when a lot of the neighboring schools have risen up (Campo, Dublin to name two). I don't know if those two are connected, but I agree this is a big moment for the DLS boys basketball program.

According to Dominican's website, they only have 6 players on the 2022 roster at this point, so it looks like Argenal will have to look hard for unsigned seniors and juco guys. Their recent roster history shows they have not been averse to snagging NorCal players. Dominican might be worth paying attention to in the upcoming years for us NorCal fans.

Believe it or not... I have actually been to a Dominican home game... Once, years ago. Former Berean star George McKeever was playing for their opponent, Oregon Tech. He didn't play much, being a freshman, but Tech won big and he did get some floor time.
People always mention this NorCal thing. College basketball is about wins. You must recruit the best 12 players you can. You cannot worry that much about demographics or getting local guys. And I really do not think NorCal guys want to stay local if they do not have to. So you cannot waste too much time on them. If these kids are too close to home it is too easy for them to give up I think. Gotta get away to not have the security blanket of mommy and daddy

The coaching instability at DLS has come at a time when a lot of the neighboring schools have risen up (Campo, Dublin to name two). I don't know if those two are connected, but I agree this is a big moment for the DLS boys basketball program.

DLS is a tough sell for schools like Campo and Dublin which are both good schools academically and in athletics without a 20k tag per year. It won’t get any easier for DLS but does anybody on here really think DLS will be just mediocre in hoops going forward? I don’t.

Reactions: observer22
People always mention this NorCal thing. College basketball is about wins. You must recruit the best 12 players you can. You cannot worry that much about demographics or getting local guys. And I really do not think NorCal guys want to stay local if they do not have to. So you cannot waste too much time on them. If these kids are too close to home it is too easy for them to give up I think. Gotta get away to not have the security blanket of mommy and daddy

I see your point, but in this case, Dominican has half a roster and a new coach with local ties, and not a lot of time to comb the nation for recruits. At least not for this season...

I see your point, but in this case, Dominican has half a roster and a new coach with local ties, and not a lot of time to comb the nation for recruits. At least not for this season...
with that said... his only option may be local! LOL

DLS is a tough sell for schools like Campo and Dublin which are both good schools academically and in athletics without a 20k tag per year. It won’t get any easier for DLS but does anybody on here really think DLS will be just mediocre in hoops going forward? I don’t.
but kids in concord city limits only have YV, Concord, and Mt D to go to. DLS surely is superior to those so 20K aint nothing.

To add a little salt & pepper to this thread here is Dominican's schedule this season:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT