ADVERTISEMENT

Lassen HS

MadHatter11

Superstar
May 26, 2016
i saw in the D5 bracket that Lassen has a bye into the second round. Does anyone know the situation? Apologies if this has been mentioned on anyone thread.

I just noticed the same thing while checking out the SF AAA team results. The only thing I could find was from the Sac Bee (or other paper) was that Cloverdale wasn't planning to apply for an at large berth for the NorCals (is that even an option???) but apparently, they were selected anyway.

Very odd ... presumably NCS would notify schools if they had a possibility of being placed in the NorCal brackets, but maybe that didn't happen.

If so, that's on NCS ...

But if Cloverdale knew about the possibility, and then declined because the drive was too far, then that's on Cloverdale. If they were willing to drive to the East Bay, for example, but not to Lassen, that's inexcusable. If you sign up to play, you go where you're told to go.

Clay, (and any others)

If Cloverdale was an "at-large" team - HOW did Gil (NCS) rank them above San Leandro, Mt. Eden or American? I understand when D5/D6 teams are auto qualifiers (Urban, Clear Lake, St. Bernard and University) but Cloverdale lost in the quarterfinals (to Clear Lake) - same stage as the D1s mentioned above - can someone provide some clarification on this? I would have assumed that Cloverdale (ranked #348) would/should not be considered over San Leandro (#189), Mt. Eden (#201) or American (#159).

I just noticed the same thing while checking out the SF AAA team results. The only thing I could find was from the Sac Bee (or other paper) was that Cloverdale wasn't planning to apply for an at large berth for the NorCals (is that even an option???) but apparently, they were selected anyway.
Cloverdale lost in the quarterfinals (to Clear Lake) - I would have assumed that Cloverdale (ranked #348) would/should not be considered over San Leandro (#189), Mt. Eden (#201) or American (#159).

And, of course, in the enlightened oddball world of CCS, Aragon played for the Division II title and lost. Due to faulty rules (competitive equity now makes enrollment and divisions rather irrelevant in the CIF seeding process), Aragon was not selected to participate in NorCals.

Reactions: letsski
Speaking of travel, which of the teams in NorCal had the longest commute for a NorCal Playoff game? Lincoln SF got sent to Fresno for their first round game. From the Lincoln campus to San Joaquin campus, it was estimated to be 200 miles. Would this be a problem for teams moving forward? I know some teams have to travel fairly far but 200 miles seems like a lot.

So NCS does it this way, which is completely counter to competitive equity: If a team from Division V is bumped up, then the highest-seeded D-V quarterfinal loser is nominated in its place (so that there are four NCS teams in D-V). Urban, the D-V NCS champion, went to D-III, thus creating the opening for Cloverdale.

If competitive equity is the goal, then the best quarterfinal losers, regardless of division, should be submitted to CIF for at-large consideration. I hope to ask this question of the powers-that-be soon ...

So NCS does it this way, which is completely counter to competitive equity: If a team from Division V is bumped up, then the highest-seeded D-V quarterfinal loser is nominated in its place (so that there are four NCS teams in D-V). Urban, the D-V NCS champion, went to D-III, thus creating the opening for Cloverdale.

If competitive equity is the goal, then the best quarterfinal losers, regardless of division, should be submitted to CIF for at-large consideration. I hope to ask this question of the powers-that-be soon ...
Clay,

This does not seem to make sense - CIF should "back fill" when they move a team to open - @D1 - Carondelet moves to open and Dublin fills, @D2 BOD is replaced by Redwood and @D3 Salesian and Cardinal Newman move up and Moreau and Alhambra fill. But at the CIF STATE NORCAL level - when they move teams up/down due to "competitive equity" then when there are open spots in the TOP 88 due to - CCS/Northern not filling or spots are not done by automatic bids then the top ranked teams leftover (San Leandro, American, Mt. Ede)n should be inserted. That to me is competitive equity.

Reactions: LBJ6
Right now, the CIF committee can only use teams nominated by the sections, so if NCS did not put San Leandro (which beat James Logan, was rated 197 and won 22 games) on its list, and instead put Cloverdale (rated 339 and won 20 games against lesser competition), there's nothing CIF can do -- at this point.

The rationale for pulling up Cloverdale to replace Urban remains unclear to me, especially if Cloverdale was not notified it was on the list of potential teams -- which again comes back to Cloverdale backing out. If they knew their name had been submitted, and didn't object, then by default they agreed to go wherever they were sent.

If NCS didn't tell them, then their refusal to drive to Lassen has at least some justification.

Either way, it's an embarrassment.

It’s a sign that too many teams are in the postseason when schools are backing out (for whatever reason) instead of considering it a big honor.

Right now, the CIF committee can only use teams nominated by the sections, so if NCS did not put San Leandro (which beat James Logan, was rated 197 and won 22 games) on its list, and instead put Cloverdale (rated 339 and won 20 games against lesser competition), there's nothing CIF can do -- at this point.

The rationale for pulling up Cloverdale to replace Urban remains unclear to me, especially if Cloverdale was not notified it was on the list of potential teams -- which again comes back to Cloverdale backing out. If they knew their name had been submitted, and didn't object, then by default they agreed to go wherever they were sent.

If NCS didn't tell them, then their refusal to drive to Lassen has at least some justification.

Either way, it's an embarrassment.
So the "NCS" put Logan on their list and NOT American (rated 171 and won 18 games) or San Leandro (rated 197 and won 22 games)? The NCS may have put Cloverdale on their list (not knowing that the CIF committee would move up Urban) and NOT Mt. Eden (rated 204 and won 19 games)? The NCS may not have put all those D1s on their list and then "let" the CIF put teams from the Central Section (Yosemite and Clovis) in the NorCals brackets?

So we had C-Let and Lassen issues. I was looking at the SF Section / AAA website and noticed that both the boys and girls AAA soccer teams advanced to the NorCal Finals (congrats to both teams). However, in Division III boys, there was a bye in the first round for the #7 seed University Red Devils. Apparently, their opponent had played an ineligible player or something and had to forfeit (someone in the other sports forum explained it).

SO it's been a weird year with the new competitive equity system. BUT the AAA cannot complain. They've had state champs in Football, Basketball. They had a state runner up in volleyball and now two soccer teams could potentially make the state final. :)

Not the coach, AD or school administrator. So basically someone from this message board could have called the NCS office. AND then the CIF placed them without them submitting any paperwork/application - but they were on the NCS list so let's put them into the brackets. It sounds like an error on the part of the NCS AND the CIF committees.

Cloverdale coach brings up good points. His team would have had to wait a week to see if they would even play again since they were knocked out early.

Do they keep practicing? what if they weren't selected?

There are kinks in this system

Cloverdale coach brings up good points. His team would have had to wait a week to see if they would even play again since they were knocked out early.

Do they keep practicing? what if they weren't selected?

There are kinks in this system
Meanwhile I'd bet that there were teams that DID submit their names to NCS, DID submit paperwork to CIF and DID keep practicing that were NOT chosen to play in NorCals. I am just confused by the process. The process put undue stress on the Cloverdale program and left other NCS teams (San Leandro, Mt. Eden, American, Ukiah) that were as deserving (under the existing format) out of the process.

Let's not even get into how CCS decided to allow three of its available CIF slots to go to other sections. The current system needs some serious tweaking, if not a major overhaul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Let's not even get into how CCS decided to allow three of its available CIF slots to go to other sections. The current system needs some serious tweaking, if not a major overhaul.
Those CCS slots should have been used for CCS team first, then other NorCal teams second --- NOT Central teams (Yosemite and Clovis). Travesty all around. I do feel bad for the CCS teams that should have their moment in time.

Those CCS slots should have been used for CCS team first, then other NorCal teams second --- NOT Central teams (Yosemite and Clovis). Travesty all around. I do feel bad for the CCS teams that should have their moment in time.

I think that’s on the CCS, not CIF. The CCS brass decided to send less than their full compliment, and the CIF had to to dip into other options to get to 88.

The CCS is the no fun section. If it was up to the Board of Managers for CCS no one would go to NOR CALS. CCS is s joke and everyone knows they are a joke !!!

Reactions: letsski
To finish off this thread: Lassen made a nearly 300 mile trek to San Francisco's Lowell High. I arrived with the score 5 to 5 but Lowell made a push to lead by 9. The game went back and forth from there. Lassen would close but never take a lead. Lowell would push the lead back out again but Lassen would not go away. They were within 3 in the 4th quarter but finally ran of gas at the end.

Lowell will take on University of SF which is effectively a home game for both teams. Will be interesting to see how this game goes. UNiversity beat Lowell earlier in the season

Aragon, Sequoia and Carlmont all had 20 wins or more. Aragon made it to the D2 final and Sequoia and Carlmont made it to the D1 semi finals. In any other section all three teams would be in the Nor Cals. But CCS with its ridiculous rules hosed all three teams. CCS mew a year ago that the selection process would be different, yet they chose not to change the process. Giving away bids and not filling all your bids ended up hurting three deserving public schools. Of the 17 bids that were awarded 13 of them went to private schools and 4 to public schools. In D1 which is all publics all two bids were awarded and CCS could have awarded two more acording to their by laws. Here was a chance to send two more publics and they decided not to. They sent 2 in D1, 4 in D2, 4 in D3, 3 in D4, and 4 in D5. Why only 2 in D1? No one really knows!!! Shame on CCS!!!

Aragon, Sequoia and Carlmont all had 20 wins or more. Aragon made it to the D2 final and Sequoia and Carlmont made it to the D1 semi finals. In any other section all three teams would be in the Nor Cals. But CCS with its ridiculous rules hosed all three teams. CCS mew a year ago that the selection process would be different, yet they chose not to change the process. Giving away bids and not filling all your bids ended up hurting three deserving public schools. Of the 17 bids that were awarded 13 of them went to private schools and 4 to public schools. In D1 which is all publics all two bids were awarded and CCS could have awarded two more acording to their by laws. Here was a chance to send two more publics and they decided not to. They sent 2 in D1, 4 in D2, 4 in D3, 3 in D4, and 4 in D5. Why only 2 in D1? No one really knows!!! Shame on CCS!!!

CIF allows each Norcal section up to 20 entries into the norcal tournament. CCS had chosen to only use 17 of those slots over the years. The other 3 slots that they didn't use went to other sections to use. CCS has finally wised up and the board of managers has decided starting 2018-19 to use all 20 alotted norcal entries. 8 Open 10 section champion and runner up ( D1-5) in each division and 2 at large.
Yes, there have been some well deserving teams over the past few years to not make Norcal from CCS. Not fair to the coaches and kids of those teams who worked hard to make it to a CCS final only to see their season end if they lost like Aragon this year in D2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT