ADVERTISEMENT

MacKaysteps down at SHC

shcguy92

Sports Fanatic
Nov 13, 2014
Per the school’s athletics Twitter feed Sean MacKay is stepping down after 5 years at SHC.

2019 CCS Open title was the crowning moment. I wont ever forget that. This was definitely a stressful opportunity for him as I remember him having way less white hair in the beginning. The time away will do him good and he'll be a good coach at the next stop should he decide to come back to coaching.

Reactions: EthanRKassel
@iamgearyblvd @Irish_Cheers If they were smart they would offer the job to LyRyan Russell
I'll be honest here. Lyryan, should stay put with the women's team. Next to Harrigan, he has done the best job there since being the head coach. He is legacy and in his young 40s with a lot more ahead of him if he wants to.

The mens teams towards the end of Barbour's tenure, aside from the 2019 CCS Open, from the outside looking in, appeared to be miserable. You had numerous transfers of star players out of the school, you had stale offenses that half court weaves that led to jacking up to 3s, you had few players above 6'4 that can gave you anything offensively/defensively, you had a few players/families pretty much calling the shots (allegedly.... but this goes on pretty much anywhere.... allegedly). We can go on and on. It was really a hard watch.

I do know these things go in cycles and while one city school is up, they will surely have a fall later because thats just how it is. And another city school is down, rest assured this will be corrected until something ruins it again.

Lastly, our mens soccer team is in the infancy of a dynasty thanks to Coach McNeil and his program the SF Glens which are funneling those kids to SH. We've become a womens vball / mens soccer power. Lets go Irish!

I'll be honest here. Lyryan, should stay put with the women's team. Next to Harrigan, he has done the best job there since being the head coach. He is legacy and in his young 40s with a lot more ahead of him if he wants to.

The mens teams towards the end of Barbour's tenure, aside from the 2019 CCS Open, from the outside looking in, appeared to be miserable. You had numerous transfers of star players out of the school, you had stale offenses that half court weaves that led to jacking up to 3s, you had few players above 6'4 that can gave you anything offensively/defensively, you had a few players/families pretty much calling the shots (allegedly.... but this goes on pretty much anywhere.... allegedly). We can go on and on. It was really a hard watch.

I do know these things go in cycles and while one city school is up, they will surely have a fall later because thats just how it is. And another city school is down, rest assured this will be corrected until something ruins it again.

Lastly, our mens soccer team is in the infancy of a dynasty thanks to Coach McNeil and his program the SF Glens which are funneling those kids to SH. We've become a womens vball / mens soccer power. Lets go Irish!
It's obvious SHC should get a better pipeline to better players and the AD will have to back the coach up enough to prevent parents from telling them how to coach.
You're right about soccer. Two WCAL titles in a row and both against the Bells.

Last I remember the girls program was dismal for 3 years or so after Harrigan also until LyRyan turned it around. The men's program has been a reflection of its coaching and administrative leadership. I think he would be the best candidate to turn it around with his connection to basketball in the city and Bay Area.

At the end of the day the administration has to want to win and support the programs. Right now there seems to be a bit of a disconnection.

It's crazy to think at one time back in the day there was enough talent spread out in the city to fill up 8 public high schools as well as 3 private high schools
that is just not the case any more with
What gentrification has done to the city.
I agree the new coach will definitely need the support of the administration as well as finding some pipeline AAU
Support.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Last I remember the girls program was dismal for 3 years or so after Harrigan also until LyRyan turned it around. The men's program has been a reflection of its coaching and administrative leadership. I think he would be the best candidate to turn it around with his connection to basketball in the city and Bay Area.

At the end of the day the administration has to want to win and support the programs. Right now there seems to be a bit of a disconnection.
It appeared to be dismal but under Mike Carey, the women's teams I do recall won CCS once, maybe twice before they made a change. Hard to complain when a section title was achieved. Same with MacKay. He did a really good job given it netted the school's only CCS Open title as an 8 seed!

It appeared to be dismal but under Mike Carey, the women's teams I do recall won CCS once, maybe twice before they made a change. Hard to complain when a section title was achieved. Same with MacKay. He did a really good job given it netted the school's only CCS Open title as an 8 seed!
You got me there I'm not sure about the CCS title but the year prior to LyRyan they weren't very good. First year state title appearance and 3 appearances since he's been there winning one. I'm not sure if there's been another program in the city to do that as of late. CCS open title as an 8 seed but also several upsets as a 1 seed.

Irish hit a home run here with LyRyan taking the boys job. Theres more work to be done starting with getting a few more east bay kids to buy into his program.

Irish hit a home run here with LyRyan taking the boys job. Theres more work to be done starting with getting a few more east bay kids to buy into his program.
east bay kids? there arent any players in the city limits or outer burbs? east bay kids have odowd, moreau, salesian and de la salle. why would they go all the way to shc

The team doesnt have to be all from the east bay genius. Just 2-3 would be just fine.
It didn't hurt when Kevin Greene came here. You would think players would want to play in the league's premier gymnasium.
New coaching with emphasis on defense would help too... as soon as we get a coach.

Last edited:
If Russell does take the job, who will coach the Women’s team? SI is established and Riordan is on the rise as they had no seniors on their team.

• Haha
If Russell does take the job, who will coach the Women’s team? SI is established and Riordan is on the rise as they had no seniors on their team.
I wouldnt mind if Irish great, Kiki Moore got a shot. Shes been an assistant under Russell.

It didn't hurt when Kevin Greene came here. You would think players would want to play in the league's premier gymnasium.
New coaching with emphasis on defense would help too.
“Premier”, to quote Inigo Montoya, “I do not think it means what you think it means.” The gym has all the character of a library with just as many patrons. Snack bar, uh….no. I heard they’re getting a new state of the art scoreboard which should make a 14 year old’s commute from the east bay worth it. Probably cheaper to hand each visitor their own iPad to use as a scoreboard. SH might be the worst gym in the league but since VC only holds about 400 people that is the likely loser. Also, points off for the nun.

Reactions: OnBall8
New coaching with emphasis on defense would help too.

I am not sure, but didn’t Greene come with SF Rebels connection…I wouldn’t think that is EB roots for SHC?

I wouldnt mind if Irish great, Kiki Moore got a shot. Shes been an assistant under Russell.
Kiki is a great fit or his assistant Coach D who's been there with Russell during his coaching stint. However, it's hard to offer an adult a part time stipend that doesn't add up to what the job entails. You'd think after having several coaches with degrees in various programs they would offer full time positions on campus to some of them other than campus security.

“Premier”, [Blah blah blah], “I do not think it means what you think it means.” The gym has all the character of [blah blah blah]. Snack bar, uh….no. I heard they’re getting a new state of the art scoreboard which [blah blah blah]. [Blah blah blah]. SH [is] the [best] gym in the league (FIFY) [Blah blah blah].
18 years. Gets these clowns every time. It also gets the other jealous people too. Every time.

Last edited:
I am not sure, but didn’t Greene come with SF Rebels connection…I wouldn’t think that is EB roots for SHC?
Greene is from Oakland. Its possible to draw some kids out. The program/head coach connection is the draw. Greene (Oakland), Johns (E. Palo Alto), Robinson (WC), McCoy (EC), Chang (Berkeley).

nope. Greene was a Soldiers kid. He came to SHCP after talking to Jerry Brown and TeAndre Hubbard...That was the connection and he came at the last minute. He was slated to go to Bishop O'Dowd.

Last edited:
nope. Greene was a Soldiers kid. He came to SHCP after talking to Jerry Brown and TeAndre Hubbard...That was the connection and he came at the last minute. He was slated to go to Bishop O'Dowd.
Good that he made the right decision.

Why not go to Africa like Riordan did?
You do know Riordan has an international boarding program. Kids from the east bay and South Bay go to Riordan too. (I.e) Jelani Clark and Zion Sensley. There was mention that SHC was also exploring a boarding program.

Last edited:
You do know Riordan has an international boarding program. Kids from the east bay and South Bay go to Riordan too. (I.e) Jelani Clark and Zion Sensley. There was mention that SHC was also exploring a boarding program.
This is why Riordan has gained a leg up in getting kids to go there. Add in they are now co-ed which some can say is a plus. Having on-campus housing solves the transportation/commuting issue. Not seeing your family daily can be an issue with a kid's psychology (sorry Zoom and Facetime are not substitutes). Its all good until someone else offers the kid/family something better.

This is why Riordan has gained a leg up in getting kids to go there. Add in they are now co-ed which some can say is a plus. Having on-campus housing solves the transportation/commuting issue. Not seeing your family daily can be an issue with a kid's psychology (sorry Zoom and Facetime are not substitutes). Its all good until someone else offers the kid/family something better.

I have believe with the upgrades in facilities (I.e. Turfed field, Gym redo, weight training facilities and Now Co-Ed) sports aspect is at Première at Riordan for a private city HS in the Bay Area. I feel it’s location to BART also makes it can do for student and family to logistically handle.

• Haha
I haven't heard about a boarding program. If so, they could possibly incorporate it with their future building plans.
Lang Field is done, expanding the current practice field area is next and so are other plans currently in the works, including a new building where the current Brothers house and parking lot is now.

It would solve the height problem...

Not to be dismissive of SHC, but even before Riordan becoming Co-Ed, The Riordan community is more receptive of blended diversity at all levels. Now that it is CoEd, the last aspect of diversity is reached.

To have a successful boarding program is not about going to Africa, it is having a program that it is inclusive so students and more importantly parents and family feel there family member would be welcomed from where ever they came from.

Last edited:
Reactions: superle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT