ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Semien to Toronto, 1 year, 18 mil deal

1runtmc1

Sports Fanatic
Dec 8, 2008
oakland
As expected, Marcus Semien moving on to Blue Jays as he signs 1 year, 18 mil deal.
Local player (St Mary's/Berkeley, Cal Bears) that saw 2019 making the AL MVP podium...
fellow Bear, Mark Canha resigns with A's for 2021.

I'm a little surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) that Oakland didn't make more of an effort to keep him. Local roots and has worked himself to being one of the best shortstops in the game.

Reactions: remc
Marcus has deep community involvement. He has been working with fellow Cal Bear/local HS star, CV HS, Tyson Ross well as Tyson's younger brother Joe in Coaching Corps that focuses on Black/minority coaches and development of youth baseball in urban settings. East Bay has long history of youth baseball that has served as gateway to MLB for many decades. With deep roots in East Bay, I would not be surprised if he settles back in Eastbay once his playing days are over..

Local HS star finished his 1 year deal with the Blue Jays and now will go back onto FA market.
a. made AS team b. expected to be 1st All MLB 2b c. all time MLB HR record with 45 as 2b d. led MLB in extra base hits and one of the best extra base hit seasons in history of MLB for 2b. e. may end up 3rd in AL MVP voting behind Shohei and Vaddy Jr, if so, 2nd time in 3 years to do this.

took a 1 year "prove it" FA deal, and now will get his big payday soon...

Marcus is Gold Glove finalist at 2b.... with results later after WS ends. He is favorite to get named 1st team All MLB for 2b... and just was voted as MLB players choice award for:

The Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award is presented each year to the player “whose leadership most inspires others to higher levels of achievement.”

Voted by MLB players, quite a honor..

As WS just ended, my predictions for end of season MLB awards:

a. all MLB 2b 1st team
b. AL 2b Gold Glove winner
c. AL 2b Silver Slugger award
d. 3rd place AL MVP votes

FA contract: over/under 100 mil: over

Last edited:
All MLB teams announced today on MLB.com...

update on Marcus Semien's 2021 season:

1. 2021 AS team
2. AL Gold Glove winner for 2b
3. AL Silver Slugger award for 2b
4. 3rd placed in AL MVP voting
5. MLB Marvin Miller Award
6. 1st team all MLB for 2b...

well, every prediction I posted in early Nov came to pass. (not that any were stretch predictions) As CBA expires in a few days, Marcus signs with Rangers for 175 for 7 years.... His projected career MLB earnings will put him on Nor Cal MLB Mt Rushmore for career salary... along with Barry, CC, and Troy. (players who played/grew up in Nor Cal area)

Last edited:
Marcus Seimien helping lead the Texas Rangers to be in hunt for divisional championship with 2022 WS champions.... already a 2023 AL AS, he looks to be frontrunner for many key season awards... All MLB, Silver Slugger, Golden Glove awards...... add him combining with Cory Seager having one of the best offenstive seasons for mid field position players in history of MLB. The combo of Seager/Seimien will have over 60 HR's, 200 Runs and may touch 200 by season's end for combined RBI's. If not the best offensive production from a middle inf combo ever, on Mount Rushmore as one of the best seasons ever. Good Luck to Rangers this post season.. (what with A's and G's not in post season, rooting for the Rangers)

of all the Nor Cal HS baseball players from the past 25 years or so..... I would say Marcus/St Mary's/Berkeley along with Brandon Crawford/Foothill, Plesanton, , Jimmy Rollins/Encinal, Alameda, , Troy Tulowitzki, Fremont High, Sunnyvale, Dustin Pedroia/Woodland HS, Dontrelle/Encinal, Joc/Palo Alto HS, and CC/Vallejo HS have the most MLB accolades.. (AS selections, Golden Glove, Silver Slugger, and all MLB) if not all of Nor Cal, certainly the "East Bay region".

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
Marcus has 3 games to try to get his 2nd season MLB record... (his 1st one was total HR in season by 2b for both AL and NL) being most RBI's in history of MLB in a season from leadoff hitter by AL hitter. He is sitting at 99 now with record being 100. Shohei is expcted to win AL MVP even with his injury recently putting him out for season... but Marcus is expected to get some MVP votes for his great season... and I fully expect Marcus to get 1st team All MLB at 2b along with another Silver Slugger award.

Last edited:
Marcus Semien making his 1st WS appearance. Rangers after losing 100 games a few years back, made bold moves in signing both Semien and Cory Seager for big FA bucks... to create a strong middle infield.. This year, expect both to get 1st team all MLB after season is over and the strongest middle infield duo in baseball. Congrats out to Marcus in helping the Rangers to the 2023 WS.

Marcus Semien helping Rangers take game 3 of WS with key hit/rbi. Game 4, Marcus had HR, triple, 5 rbi's to help Rangers now 1 wins games away from WS championship, and a few years removed from 100 plus losing season... a WS article on Marcus ahead of game 1, exemplifies his quiet leadership and way he approaches the game... a role model for players to follow..

Last edited:
to say 2023 has been a good year for Marcus Semien is an understatement. WS champion, did not win WS MVP award, but i would guess he came in 2nd place for that award... winner of Marvin Miller MLB person of year award..... and soon, with WS over, various MLB awards will be announced over the upcoming weeks. As was case in previous recent years, I expect Marcus to get votes for AL MVP (not win but on podium), 1st or 2nd team All MLB at 2b, Silver Slugger award, and potentially getting another Golden Glove award for his D play at 2b.

if i may add a few more points... Cory Seager/Marcus Semien middle infield duo may have just put up the best MLB season performance in history of baseball. To clarify that statement, their offenstive and defensive performance as ss/2b and fact they both help lead the Rangers to a WS ring... no doubt, there have been many great MIF duo's... Concepcion/Morgan, Trammell/Whitiker, Rollins/Utley, Altuve/Correa, Jeter/Cano... so, debate no doubt.. but for one season..... IMO the Seager/Semien 2023 MIF season, is best ever in MLB history. As Rangers won game 3,4, and 5 on road to get WS win, Marcus had 8 RBI's in the 3 road wins... The 8 rbi's on road in WS must be one of the best RBI WS totals in MLB history... clutch htting on road on MLB biggest stage... the WS. His 5 rbi's in game 4 of the WS ties him for 2nd all time for most rbi's in WS game.... some pretty cool accomplishments.
2023 awards:
Marvin Miller Player MLB award: Winner
AL Golden Glove finalist (top 3) 2b
AL MVP: 3rd place
AL 2b Silver Slugger
AL 1st team as 2b
MLB Heart and Hustle 2023 award

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT