ADVERTISEMENT

MaxPreps Rankings.....

Valleycat209

Rookie
May 2, 2020
Any thoughts on why Arch Bishop Mitty would be ranked 6th in CA and St. Marys of Stockton 20th?
Didn't St. Marys beat Mitty (at Mitty) by 10? And didn't St. Marys just beat Salesian by 19 (while Salesian was ranked #16 at the time)? Who has Mitty played this year besides St. Marys?

maxpreps uses a computer algorithm if I;m not mistaken. Its wonky in a regular year, I can only imagine how out of whack it is this year with limited external league/ section games to use as comps and SOS. Took these rankings with a grain of salt in the past, havent even peaked at them this year

Don't follow Max Preps this year. Makes no sense. With all the down time, someone should have taken the time to fix the bugs in the Max Preps computer system....

Cal High Sports and NorCal preps rankings are the only two I can find that match up closer to the reality of what people are saying with regards to how the rankings should be, unless, you are talking with those that believe Mitty just had a bad night against St Mary's and should have been awarded a "Do Over."

• Haha
Reactions: bulldogmgc
Any thoughts on why Arch Bishop Mitty would be ranked 6th in CA and St. Marys of Stockton 20th?
Didn't St. Marys beat Mitty (at Mitty) by 10? And didn't St. Marys just beat Salesian by 19 (while Salesian was ranked #16 at the time)? Who has Mitty played this year besides St. Marys?
Maybe because St Mary's lost to a young Clovis West team and beat a Salesian team by 19 that beat O'Dowd by 4 pts who Mitty beat by 52 points. Plus the WCAL is much stronger than the league St Mary's is in so it's not just one game. Look at college sports rankings whether it's football or basketball it's about the complete body of work not just one game. But then again sports rankings are opinions of people with a platform. Still looks like Mitty had a bad 4th quarter and St Mary's had a perfect 4th quarter but both great teams. I saw SMS ahead in another ranking.

My two cents:

I think Mitty wins in a rematch, but St. Mary's needs to be ahead in the rankings. It is a weird season, but they won on the court at Mitty and that is almost impossible for Mitty to overtake given the lack of playoffs and scheduling limitations.

Reactions: observer22
The MaxPreps' computer system does these rankings -- my national rankings ended in April.

The computer system is actually fairly good if there are a lot of games entered, and of course, a lot of games played. Small sample size is a big issue, so I don't expect the computer rankings to make a lot of sense. (My NorCal rankings are on SportStars.)

Reactions: OnBall8
Maybe because St Mary's lost to a young Clovis West team and beat a Salesian team by 19 that beat O'Dowd by 4 pts who Mitty beat by 52 points. Plus the WCAL is much stronger than the league St Mary's is in so it's not just one game. Look at college sports rankings whether it's football or basketball it's about the complete body of work not just one game. But then again sports rankings are opinions of people with a platform. Still looks like Mitty had a bad 4th quarter and St Mary's had a perfect 4th quarter but both great teams. I saw SMS ahead in another ranking.
Clovis West has 5 seniors, 4 Juniors, 3 Sophomores,, and 2 Freshman on their roster. That does not sound like a "a young Clovis West team."

By the way, CalHi sports, https://www.calhisports.com/2021/05/24/new-state-top-25-girls-bb-rankings-17/, has Clovis West ranked #3 in the state, behind Mater Dei at #1, and Centennial Corona #2, and just ahead of St. Mary's at #4, and Mitty at #5.
We won't see a rematch of Mitty and Saint Mary's this year, but if I were a betting man, I would guess we will have to wait until the open next spring and hope they get paired up for some type of rematch.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Don't follow Max Preps this year. Makes no sense. With all the down time, someone should have taken the time to fix the bugs in the Max Preps computer system....

Cal High Sports and NorCal preps rankings are the only two I can find that match up closer to the reality of what people are saying with regards to how the rankings should be, unless, you are talking with those that believe Mitty just had a bad night against St Mary's and should have been awarded a "Do Over."
Right! And St. Mary's just had a bad one against Clovis West. LOL!

Reactions: mlrei
Clovis West has 5 seniors, 4 Juniors, 3 Sophomores,, and 2 Freshman on their roster. That does not sound like a "a young Clovis West team."

By the way, CalHi sports, https://www.calhisports.com/2021/05/24/new-state-top-25-girls-bb-rankings-17/, has Clovis West ranked #3 in the state, behind Mater Dei at #1, and Centennial Corona #2, and just ahead of St. Mary's at #4, and Mitty at #5.
We won't see a rematch of Mitty and Saint Mary's this year, but if I were a betting man, I would guess we will have to wait until the open next spring and hope they get paired up for some type of rematch.

I didn't realize CW had 5 seniors but despite that I still didn't expect such a decisive win from Clovis West over St Mary's with SMS having the momentum of beating Mitty. Who knows next year where CW is placed for state whether it will be Norcal or Socal. SoCal is so deep they go through a tough gauntlet to get to state. The more strong Norcal teams the better to have a chance to bring a state title home to Norcal. 🙏

I didn't realize CW had 5 seniors but despite that I still didn't expect such a decisive win from Clovis West over St Mary's with SMS having the momentum of beating Mitty. Who knows next year where CW is placed for state whether it will be Norcal or Socal. SoCal is so deep they go through a tough gauntlet to get to state. The more strong Norcal teams the better to have a chance to bring a state title home to Norcal. 🙏
Keep in mind that St. Marys' leading scorer had 17 in the first 2.5 quarters, then fouled out and didn't play in the 4th quarter. Even Clovis West parents admitted it was a bad look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT