ADVERTISEMENT

McClymonds Warriors @ Aptos Mariners CIF D4A NorCal Regional Bowl Sat. Dec. 8. 2018 6:00 p.m.

PhotoGuy_271

Sports Fanatic
Mar 19, 2016
Bay Area, Nor Cal
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2...nsive-minded-aptos-ready-for-big-mack-attack/

Airing It Out: Offensive-minded Aptos ready for big Mack attack

Though lacking numbers when compared to the Mariners, visiting McClymonds boasts plenty of size
BNG-L-SILVERBOWL-1201-4.jpg

Aptos High will host a big McClymonds football team in Saturday’s NorCal 4-A Championship. Warriors running back Adi Anderson, pictured, is bigger than any of the Mariners’ linemen. (Jose Carlos Fajardo – Bay Area News Group)
By JIM SEIMAS | jseimas@santacruzsentinel.com | Santa Cruz Sentinel
PUBLISHED: December 6, 2018 at 3:34 pm | UPDATED: December 6, 2018 at 3:37 pm

APTOS — Aptos High football coach Randy Blankenship was watching game film of his next opponent when he called over his wife, Rhoda.

“Look at this group,” Blankenship told her Sunday, a day after leading the Mariners to the Central Coast Section Open Division III championship, the school’s fifth section title.

It was game film on McClymonds of Oakland, aka Mack, winner of back-to-back state titles and the team standing in the Mariners’ way of a berth to the state title game. They have some big boys — like, really big, with a capital B.

“Now look at these guys,” Blankenship said as pulled up footage of the Los Angeles Rams.

“See any difference?”

It was hard for him and his wife to tell.

The mighty Mariners (11-2) will be severely undersized when they host the Warriors (10-2) in the CIF NorCal Division 4-A championship on Saturday at 6 p.m., but they’re more than ready to show how they measure up.

“We’re going to have to compete,” Blankenship said, “and gang tackle. We better. If we try to go one on one, we’re going to have to replace some arms and shoulders.”

Perhaps most eye-opening is that Mack has an enrollment of 318 students. And of its 27 football players, five will likely sign scholarship offers with NCAA Division I schools in mid-December. Conversely, Aptos has an enrollment of 1,479 and a roster of 55 with no D-I players.

“We have open enrollment,” said Warriors coach Michael Peters, whose son, Marcus, a Mack alum, is a cornerback for the NFL’s Rams. “Winning state has helped us. But we’ve lost kids, too.”

The key, Peters said, isn’t necessarily transfers, though he has a couple of good ones; it’s offseason weightlifting. “We work all year,” he said.

BNG-L-LIBMACK-0901-3.jpg

McClymonds High’s Jarmar Julien, a transfer from Oak Grove in San Jose, will showcase his skills in Saturday’s NorCal 4-A Championship at Aptos on Saturday night. (Doug Duran – Bay Area News Group)
Each year, he plans team trips to combines and camps at major universities to help inspire the kids in the weight room. It further motivates some of them, he said.

“If we get two or three big guys, we’re all happy,” Peters said. “But we have a couple big guys on campus who don’t play or are academically ineligible.”

Despite the size disadvantage, the well-coached Mariners aren’t playing over their heads. In fact, Aptos is ranked No. 70 in the state by MaxPreps.com and Mack is No. 147. CalPreps.com’s computer ranking predicts the Mariners prevail over the Warriors, winner of 61 straight games in the Oakland Athletic League, 35-27.

Take the rankings with a grain of salt, though. Aptos was predicted to win its regular-season games against both Palma and Salinas and lost both. (It avenged the regular-season loss to the Chieftains in the CCS semifinals, 49-6.) That said, Mack, though its section isn’t highly regarded, is now ranked higher than both Palma (No. 161) and Salinas (No. 181).

The Warriors boast two-way linemen Mark Hoching (6-foot-2, 290 pounds), who has a scholarship offer from Air Force, and Charles Joseph (6-5, 290), both of whom play guard and defensive tackle. Joseph, fittingly enough, has his nickname included on the team’s MaxPreps roster: “Big C.”

The Mariners biggest offensive lineman? Center Hayden Mennie (6-1, 235). And Levi Slay (6-0, 195) is the only other Aptos lineman taller than 6 feet. The Mariners’ other starting linemen include Josh Sousa-Jimenez (5-7, 210), Angel Morales (5-8, 190) and Adam Candelario (5-8, 190).

The Mariners may be small, but they’re good. Aptos’ linemen are the bread and butter to an offense that has produced more points (590) and yards (5,603) than any other team in school history. Said Peters, “We know they’re going to get us a couple times.”

Blankenship said the Warriors don’t have anything the Mariners haven’t yet seen. Aragon, Salinas, Palma, Sacred Heart, they all had plenty of big boys. The Warriors just have a couple more.

“I’m not gonna lie, they’re big,” Mariners running back Marcos Reyes said. “But their players play both ways. They’ve got less numbers. They probably get as tired as much as us. They haven’t seen a team like us. They haven’t seen the wing-T since, I think, last year. I think they’re going to be shocked when we keep punching them in the mouth.”

The Warriors, who defeated La Jolla Country Day 20-17 for the 5-A state title in 2016 and Golden West 42-12 for the CIF 5-AA state title last season, return 12 players, most of them on the defensive side of the ball.

The leader of the bunch is linebacker JaVanz Dornners (6-2, 220), who has offers from Fresno State, Nevada, San Jose State, San Diego State, Utah State and UNLV. Other returners include four all-league players: linebacker/defensive end Islee Cassidy (6-2, 225), outside linebacker/safety Monte Smith (6-1, 215) and the runts of the bunch: defensive backs Montrell Smith (5-8, 180) and Cory Hayes (5-9, 160). That bunch, no doubt, is chomping at the bit to devour Aptos’ speedy backfield.

It’s mind over matter, Reyes said.

“We don’t have anyone on our defense over 190 pounds,” he said. “It doesn’t mean anything. It’s all heart. Heart and mentality. Mentally, you’ve gotta be focused, you gotta have it in you. You gotta want it. That’s all it is.”

While the Warriors feature a spread formation on their equally formidable offense, they run a ton — a figure of speech — with a pair of senior running backs who are bigger than most of the Mariners’ linemen. Adi Anderson (5-11, 200), a transfer from Moreau Catholic in Hayward over the summer, has verbally committed to San Jose State, and Jarmar Julien (5-11, 226), a transfer from Oak Grove in San Jose who also plays linebacker, will see the bulk of the touches.

“They’re big, they’re scary, they’re fast, they’re explosive,” Reyes said. “They got everything, but once we get past they’re D-I, I feel like we can definitely hang with them. We’re going to win the game. It doesn’t matter how many D-I guys they have, no matter how big they are, how fast they are. If we play as a team, if we execute like we’re supposed to, like we’ve been doing, I feel we’re going to come out victorious.”

Luckily for the Mariners, they won’t have to contend with K’aun Green (6-4, 230), Mack’s left-handed quarterback and defensive end who has received scholarship offers from San Jose State and Nevada. He’s out with an injury.

His replacement the past two games has been freshman Dreyan Paul (5-10, 160). Paul threw two touchdown passes and ran for another in last weekend’s Oakland Section final, but also threw three interceptions.

The Mariners, in addition to rattling Paul, plan to hit Mack’s big boys low and cut them down to size. After all, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Like Reyes, Mariners middle linebacker Dre Gomez isn’t intimidated. No, he’s honored, honored to play against so many college-bound players.

“We just wanna make a name for ourselves,” Gomez said, “show we’re just not from little Aptos.”

If You Go
McClymonds at Aptos
What: CIF NorCal Division 4-A football championship
When: Saturday, 6 p.m.

Wow. I don't know much about Aptos but I know they have not been hit as hard as they are about to be hit.

Teams filled with big and aggressive hitters can (key word, can) struggle against teams that feature a lot of misdirection in their offense. I’m sure Aptos’ players will get hit hard; but a lot of those hits will be delivered to guys that don’t have the ball.

Should be a good game though.

High School Football: Aptos falls to McClymonds in CIF NorCal Division 4-A championship
AptosHomePO_12.jpg

Aptos High’s Marcos Reyes runs against McClymonds in the CIF NorCal Division 4-A Championship on Saturday night in Aptos. (Brandon Vallance – Special to the Sentinel)
By JIM SEIMAS | jseimas@santacruzsentinel.com | Santa Cruz Sentinel
PUBLISHED: December 8, 2018 at 11:28 pm | UPDATED: December 9, 2018 at 2:48 pm

APTOS — The undersized Aptos High football team finally ran into an opponent capable of driving a dagger through its oversized heart this postseason.

Oakland’s McClymonds, the two-time defending state champion, rallied past the Mariners in the second half and held on for a 28-20 win to claim the California Interscholastic Federation’s NorCal Division 4-A championship in front of a spirited capacity crowd at Trevin Dilfer Memorial Field on Saturday night.

• AptosHomePO_03.jpg
  • AptosHomePO_15.jpg
  • AptosHomePO_16.jpg
  • AptosHomePO_14.jpg
  • AptosHomePO_13.jpg

1 of 15
Aptos High's Vaughen Holland makes a tackle against McClymonds in the CIF NorCal Division 4-A Championship on Saturday night in Aptos. (Brandon Vallance - Special to the Sentinel)

Marcos Reyes, the Mariners’ all-time leading rusher and scorer, as well as a standout linebacker, ran for three touchdowns, boosting his season total to 35. He finished with 81 yards rushing on 24 carries. Teammate Josh Powell ran for 62 yards on 14 carries.

“Those are some big boys, man, some big boys,” said Reyes, who is 5-foot-8, 190 pounds. “I mean, I can’t feel the left side of my body, my head hurts, I mean, they’re just all around, everywhere. Everywhere I saw, I saw white and orange, man. … Props to them, that’s a hell of a team. Man, I don’t know what they feed them over there, but holy cow.”

It was the lowest offensive output this season for the Mariners (11-3), who set school records for yards (5,919) and points (610) in a season.

McClymonds (11-2), aka Mack, hosts James A. Garfield (13-1) of East Los Angeles, made famous by the 1988 film “Stand and Deliver,” for the 4-A state title on Saturday at 6 p.m. The Bulldogs beat Kennedy (13-2) of Delano, which, like Aptos, runs a wing-T offense, 42-10 in the SoCal championship on Dec. 1.

The Mariners see their magical season end a week removed from their 35-34 stunner over Sacred Heart Prep to claim the Central Coast Section Open Division III crown, the school’s fifth title. The Mariners won CCS as the No. 5-seeded team after tying with San Benito for third place in the Pacific Coast Athletic League’s Gabilan Divison behind co-champions Palma and Salinas. Prior to stunning the No. 2 Gators, they routed No. 1 Palma in the semifinals and No. 4 Terra Nova in the quarterfinals.

By winning Open D-III, the Mariners became the first team from Santa Cruz County to compete in a NorCal bowl game. An estimated 3,000 fans were in attendance to witness local history.

Mack, which dedicated its season to late equipment manager Dean Hodges, had other things in mind.

Though the Warriors suited 38 players, 11 more than they did during the regular season, they had no shortage of size or talent. Five of their players — running backs Adi Anderson and Jarmar Julien, lineman Mark Hoching, linebacker Javanz Dornners and injured defensive end K’aun Green — will ink NCAA Division I scholarships later this month.

Junior linebacker Dre Gomez, an integral part of Aptos’ defense, was poked in the eye early in the third quarter and didn’t return.

“It hurt, man,” Reyes said of losing Gomez. “That’s an all-league linebacker right there. Hopefully, he’s OK. That’s the biggest thing.”

Mack capitalized on his absence and scored twice in a 3 1/2-minute span to cap lengthy drives. Julien’s 10-yard run tied the score at 14-all and Anderson, who has verbally committed to San Jose State University, produced the go-ahead touchdown with his 5-yard run.

“I’m so proud of the kids,” Mariners coach Randy Blankenship said. “They just did everything I kept asking them to do. I kept asking them to fight when those guys were rolling downhill like a big snowball.”

And fight they did, till the final buzzer.

Reyes scored his third touchdown of the game early in the fourth quarter, but the Warriors’ Montrell Smith blocked the extra-point kick from Danny Dahel to retain the lead, 21-20, with 11:23 left.

“When we blocked that PAT, that meant a lot to us,” Julien said. “The game changed as soon as we got our first touchdown. We got the momentum and came back to our true selves.”

Edward Woods intercepted a pass from Mariners quarterback Hunter Matys midway through the fourth quarter and Julien added some insurance with his 30-yard scoring run with 6:23 left.

Aptos marched from its own 28-yard line to Mack’s 26 but turned the ball over on downs after Fisher Johnson’s pass to Matys fell incomplete. Mack took over with 1:29 left and ran out the clock with four plays.

Aptos capitalized on Bubba Gallardo’s interception in the end zone to open scoring in the first quarter. Reyes capped a 12-play, 80-yard drive with his 1-yard run.

Gallardo pointed to the sky after his interception, a tribute to his grandmother, who died Friday.

Reyes’ second touchdown run of 3 yards capped a five-play, 88-yard drive and put the Mariners up 14-0 early in the second quarter, as roars of “Aptos” from the cheering section echoed through the neighboring foothills.

“They got us a few times,” said Julien, who also plays linebacker. “But at the end of the day, we figured it out and we took control of what we needed to do.”

Those roars helped wake up the Warriors, the Oakland Section champion. Daveonne Sanders returned the ensuing kickoff 63 yards to Aptos’ 19 and Julien scored on the next play, a run through the heart of the Mariners defense, casting aside defenders like they were bowling pins.

When he fell across the goal line, he swung his fists wildly through the air, screaming at the top of his lungs.

“I was happy,” Julien said. “I knew it was what we needed to get our team started.”

Aptos maintained its 14-7 lead at the half but was unable to sustain its success on offense in the second half.

The Mariners finished with 316 yards of offense, 224 of that came on 50 rushing attempts.

Mack ran for 371 yards on 51 carries and passed for 28. Freshman quarterback Dreyon Paul was sacked twice in the first half, once by defensive end Josh Powell and once by Gomez.

Julien, who is 5-11, 226 pounds, finished with 192 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries.

“That was the plan, to give him the ball and let them hit that big piece of meat,” Mack coach Michael Peters said of Julien. “That second score actually pushed our guys over the top.”

Anderson, the shiftier of the two Mack backs, ran for 152 yards on 21 carries.

“It meant a lot,” Anderson said. “We’re hard working. And we don’t really get a lot of recognition. We’re a small school so that’s what we’re working for. We’re working for a three-peat. Let’s get it.”

Even with the outcome, the Mariners will remember this game and season for decades to come.

“I had the best teammates I could ask for,” said Reyes, a senior. “I had the best head coach in the nation, I had the best family support, best student section I could ask for, the best friend supporting me.”

Reyes exits as the school record holder for rushing yards in a game (292), season (1,835) and career (3,585). He also broke Mariners records for points in a season (218) and career (344) and touchdowns in a season (35) and career (58).

“I’m going to talk about my team,” Reyes continued. “I’m going to miss them. Everything I did was for my guys. I couldn’t let them down. It was for them.”

Aptos will graduate 17 seniors from its roster of 55. Gallardo said he hopes the underclassmen continue to work hard to duplicate and surpass the Mariners’ accomplishments this season.

“It’s their time to take over now, to show the little ones what they can do,” Gallardo said, “that even when you’re a smaller, a smaller team, you can do big things like this. They should be good next year.”

The Score
McClymonds 28, Aptos 20

ADVERTISEMENT