jazzpt55

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
End of Q1 Maryknoll 22 Miramonte 16
Half Maryknoll 36 Miramonte 30
Final Mary knoll 67 Miramonte 59

Mahalo and Aloha!!!

Last edited:
This was already Maryknoll's 11th game of the season. You gotta be ready for the Hawaii teams to be in midseason form when you go to the iolani

And MM has been working out...aka practicing all summer....
I think MK has a great coach...
And MM has a average coach

I can think of a lot of schools who would love to have the so call average coach running their program. My guess without knowing much about MK is one of these two teams had a considerable size, talent, and experience advantage. And MM didn't have the home cooking advantage they tend to thrive upon.

Last edited:
... And MM didn't have the home cooking advantage they tend to thrive upon.
I'm not sure how pronounced the home court advantage is at Miramonte, but I can assure you it is nothing compared to the Hawaiian fare served at the Iolani Classic. Mmmm, that's tasty.

Reactions: Paytc
I'm not sure how pronounced the home court advantage is at Miramonte, but I can assure you it is nothing compared to the Hawaiian fare served at the Iolani Classic. Mmmm, that's tasty.

That's why I wrote the book and promote the philosophy "Win Anyway". I always say you're suppose to wrap the refs up in the butt kicking. Because like I said in a thread about a year or so ago, some refs cheat, or call games one sided. But you don't make excuses or do just enough to win. You do more than enough to win to account for the bias or poor refereeing.

By the way.... I've seen MM get home cooking on the road. It might have something to do with green uniforms and looking like the Celtics. :);):)

I'm sure this is a big deal to Hawaii. So I can imagine the game being called in their favor.

Last edited:
MM didn't have the home cooking advantage they tend to thrive upon.

still whining about Clet's 0-2 record v MM this century (both on neutral courts)? how many MM home games have you seen? any particulars, or are you just spouting vague generalities? how can you win, any way or otherwise, if you are a cheap shot artist?

I'm sure this is a big deal to Hawaii

how many games in Hawaii have you watched?

my rancor is triggered by your use of "cooking". familiarity with the physical surroundings, minimal travel, a larger and perhaps louder supporting crowd are all part of home court advantage which every team has and most thrive on, even if they don't thrive enough to win. "cooking" and your assertion that it appears at away games (I think you're referring to one game in particular, and if so, get over it) seem to indicate some unfair advantage. as a great basketball mind, surely you know that "home cooking" is a pejorative term. so what are you talking about? and don't tell me about biased refs if you had a rooting interest in the opponent. or a rooting opposition to MM. and how does that happen? after game massages? visits from large men in trench coats before the game? hiring of team family members as refs? bribes?

or is it a system of play, cooked up at home practices, that yields good results? that might travel well, too, and it's what I see.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with average Sue is average,
...Tom is average...now Doc is better than average ....the things he does with a lot less than those other three is good stuff...that is why I don't understand why he ducks competition....

As far as Honolulu I have lived on the rock....went to grad school...married a girl from Kaneohe..went to many Iolani games..
What happens is two major things...
The kids in Hawaii I with the right coach...don't believe the hype....they
don't know who MM is....it becomes us against the mainland....the other thing is the mainland kids...get mesmerized by the Aloha....

The refs are good for a call or two...maybe Four points.. ..but if the wrong coach with the wrong attitude...starts with the mouth...
Bruddah....you gonna get it

absent proof otherwise, I'd say MK was the better team without aloha mesmerization. average may be OK by you, but I don't think you intend a compliment. without resorting to pictures of ducks or toilets, please explain the flaws you see in these coaches' process of teaching basketball to high school kids. scheduling is only the cherry on a cake that takes much time and energy to bake, and is an enormous service to kids on their teams. your opinion in this matter says more about you than about any coach.

since this is a thread about a MM loss, you can be cheered by the likelihood that there will be more losses to come.

Last edited:
still whining about Clet's 0-2 record v MM this century (both on neutral courts)? how many MM home games have you seen? any particulars, or are you just spouting vague generalities? how can you win, any way or otherwise, if you are a cheap shot artist?

how many games in Hawaii have you watched?

my rancor is triggered by your use of "cooking". familiarity with the physical surroundings, minimal travel, a larger and perhaps louder supporting crowd are all part of home court advantage which every team has and most thrive on, even if they don't thrive enough to win. "cooking" and your assertion that it appears at away games (I think you're referring to one game in particular, and if so, get over it) seem to indicate some unfair advantage. as a great basketball mind, surely you know that "home cooking" is a pejorative term. so what are you talking about? and don't tell me about biased refs if you had a rooting interest in the opponent. or a rooting opposition to MM. and how does that happen? after game massages? visits from large men in trench coats before the game? hiring of team family members as refs? bribes?

or is it a system of play, cooked up at home practices, that yields good results? that might travel well, too, and it's what I see.

Winning and losing is not a big thing to me because I know no one always wins. How a game is played and called is the only thing that matters to me, not complaining or making excuses. Pointing out what I see in my opinion will be agreed by some and not by others. MM out coached and out played Carondelet IMO each of the 2 times this century. In one of the two games they also got the benefit of IMO very questionable calls. Personally I like MM and their coach(s) so I am more of an outside observer coming to my own conclusion based on the way I see the game played and called. One game in particular I thought MM got bias calls at home I'm sure Doc Scheppler would agree as he pointed out the ref and the fact live during a game they played.

I have only watched a couple games played in Hawaii. Some teams play well at home and on the road. MM typically plays well home and away. But they have gotten home cooking IMO the few times I have watched them at home. Perhaps they've earned that advantage by being a good and well coached team. Or perhaps I am just focused on the questionable calls a home team gets and missing the questionable calls the visitor also gets. Whichever the case, as always, my comments are just my opinion as I perceive what I observe.

Last edited:
No compliment here only honest comments....
I don't think the other members on the board would appreciate me chopping it about Sue, Tom. Kelly and Doc....
Or for that matter Geno...basically if you ask...I have an opinion about every one of them and anthing....and I will let you know...
Maybe the reason I get the can everywhere I work:)

As far as Honolulu I have lived on the rock....went to grad school...married a girl from Kaneohe..went to many Iolani games..
don't know who MM is....it becomes us against the mainland....the other thing is the mainland kids...get mesmerized by the Aloha....

The refs are good for a call or two...maybe Four points.. ..but if the wrong coach with the wrong attitude...starts with the mouth...

Wow, last year avg Sue and her team of mesmerized Mitty mainlanders managed to squeak out two victories against the Honolulu teams.

79-39 they beat Konawaena and 67-33 they beat host Iolani. The island kids didn't believe the hype, but I'm sure they respected the game

perhaps I am just focused on the questionable calls a home team gets and missing the questionable calls the visitor also gets

and if so, why might you focus on the calls in favor of a particular home team?
there's something called confirmation bias--the tendency to see things in a way that reinforces an opinion that you have already formed. I'm doubtful that a coach complaining about calls establishes referee bias, unless you want it to. in fact, it's a better indicator the of coach's bias. as a strong fan, you must know that your opinion about calls v Clet are absolutely biased, assuming you have a shred of humility.

you expressly allege ref bias in the "few" MM home games you've seen. how do you explain this? what's the conspiracy? since the refs are many multiple times closer to the play than you are, maybe you should consider getting your eyes, as well as your biases, checked.

so we're left with a fan of a superb team that suffered an unexpected loss who thinks the refs were partly to blame, and a coach that complains about calls that go against his team. try getting those items as headlines in the Chronicle's sports section. or you can post them as opinion on norcalpreps.

Last edited:
and if so, why might you focus on the calls in favor of a particular home team?
there's something called confirmation bias--the tendency to see things in a way that reinforces an opinion that you have already formed. I'm doubtful that a coach complaining about calls establishes referee bias, unless you want it to. in fact, it's a better indicator the of coach's bias. as a strong fan, you must know that your opinion about calls v Clet are absolutely biased, assuming you have a shred of humility.

you expressly allege ref bias in the "few" MM home games you've seen. how do you explain this? what's the conspiracy? since the refs are many multiple times closer to the play than you are, maybe you should consider getting your eyes, as well as your biases, checked.

so we're left with a fan of a superb team that suffered an unexpected loss who thinks the refs were partly to blame, and a coach that complains about calls that go against his team. try getting those items as headlines in the Chronicle's sports section. or you can post them as opinion on norcalpreps.

Like you have opinions so do I. Thanks for expressing yours. JFYI I'm a fan of all the young kids teams but I call it as I see it like everyone else does. Actually most bite their tongue but that's for another discussion. I won't get rich one way or the other off the results of any high school game. I'm sure neither will be changing the others opinion with regard to this topic so it's best to move along. But I know children,trolls, and their associates like to argue. You're right. Now lets move along to the next topic of discussion.

Last edited:
I'll stop when I please, and will probably continue to reply to self-promotion and self-inflation, or to put-downs of kids' sports programs. thank you for permission, but I don't need it. if it means you're done with MM for now, I welcome it.

don't worry mkbgdns, paytc will continuously push his lose anyway philosophy all over this board. It is basically a bunch of cliches chewed up and spit back out in such a generic way that you can't argue it... and yet he has never coached at the high school level..

speaking of never caching, the thing that kills me about jazz, he thinks he knows coaching.. but he doesn't.. he has his favorites that are just small school coaches basically. He knows very little about these coaches except what he hears. He's an overweight and creepy personal trainer that doesn't know a good coach from an average one, just personal bias. Like mo green says, don't feed the monkey, and I should probably heed to that myself, but I just hate misinformed spewers of hate... especially creepy ones..

Nothing wrong with average Sue is average,
...Tom is average...now Doc is better than average ....the things he does with a lot less than those other three is good stuff...that is why I don't understand why he ducks competition....

You need meds! Sue and Doc are nowhere near average high school coaches. Have you ever been to one of their practices? very detailed, organized, and drills to develop players. I don't think Sopek is average either, but in terms of straight development, I wouldn't put him in the same category as Doc and Sue. I've seen his practices and he does some good stuff, but I have a problem with a team that only presses and plays 90% zone; especially with all the talent he's had. Even though SHC lost to SMS, watching SMS trying to play man to man was gut wrenching...the kids really had NO clue what they were doing in terms of helping principles BUT got it done because they're just superiors athletes.

Jazz, I love how you always make blanket statements with nothing to support it. Pinewood has played LJCD, Salesian, BOD and mission hills..not shabby schedule so far.

Reactions: OnBall8
Well said norcal_fan... I too have attended practices of those coaches and couldn't agree more. While I personally don't like the system that Doc runs, he is a great teacher and a skills developer... but its funny that you think that even if jazz were to attend those practices that he would know what was going on... he doesn't know terminology or scheme. Maybe he would catch on to the fact that he knows nothing though..

Also, while I didn't see the SMS/SHC game, I hate watching SMS play man. As I've stated numerous times before, they have NO man-to-man principles... glad to see some things never change.

Well said norcal_fan... I too have attended practices of those coaches and couldn't agree more. While I personally don't like the system that Doc runs, he is a great teacher and a skills developer... but its funny that you think that even if jazz were to attend those practices that he would know what was going on... he doesn't know terminology or scheme. Maybe he would catch on to the fact that he knows nothing though..

Also, while I didn't see the SMS/SHC game, I hate watching SMS play man. As I've stated numerous times before, they have NO man-to-man principles... glad to see some things never change.

Playing man to man with great athletes is one thing but being able to teach it is another. A good defensive team must spend time working on defensive spacing, ball screens, communication, rotations (shell drill), etc. every day in order to be a good man to man team. I think the reason MM and SMS is good at what they do is because they do it every day.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing..not at all. But when you have people calling other people great coaches JUST because they win is a whole other conversation. SMS and MM (watching them play) win because they have successful systems in place. They press the whole game and are VERY active in their respective zone defenses. Hey, Zone is great but for the betterment of each player on the team, I think it restricts them. Maybe it's match-ups, maybe they don't know how to teach it...I don't know. I do know that Most top colleges play man to man and I'm sure it's back to square one for most of these kids.

when I played in high school, we were man-to-man, full court, all the time. I prefer to see it. I think a player who has 1:1 defensive skills has positioning, footwork, and anticipation skills that apply well to playing in a zone, while the skills of zone don't always translate well in the other direction. there are also opportunistic trapping responses, learned as improv, which are more scripted in a zone. it's true that at the high school level, with a wider disparity of individual skills and athleticism, there may be impossible matchups that require zone.

Reactions: OnBall8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT