ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty Rebounds To Top SI 66-40

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Rebounding was a big problem for Mitty in its seasoning opening surprise loss to St. Mary's. Monarchs did a much better job on the glass at SI, and the defensive pressure was, as always, relentless.

Game was not as much of a blow out as final score indicates. But the outcome was never in doubt.

Hunter Hernandez led Mitty with 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBBall4L
As always, the level of competition had something to do with all of the above.

Not sure what you mean by level of competition but Mitty rebounded awfully against St Marys and they were the bigger longer team. St Mary's guards were the catalysts for rebounds and didn't stand around watching other people rebound. From what I'm hearing this St Ignatius team is very tough this year. Your comment almost seems like a passive aggressive attempt to disrespect Mitty at the expense of St Ignatius. Hunter Hernandez had 20 against St Mary's so your comment baffles me because it's cryptic. Just come out and say what you mean and stand on it.

Last edited:
To be clear: SI is not at the level of St. Mary's. No harm in that. Just reality.
I'm just confused by the comment and it underscores how we as humans skew data to fit our narrative. The fact that two Mitty players scored 20 against SMS and not against St Ignatius could easily support the narrative that Mitty just couldn't make shots in the 4th and SMS got hot. You could even say SMS got lucky against Mitty because they couldn't do the same thing against Clovis West which is a lesser team depth wise than both Mitty and SMS. But each game is a new game for each team to redeem themselves whether it's Mitty or SMS or whoever else. I don't even know what your comment was and what's it's purpose was. I'm still confused but it's obvious you don't like Mitty for whatever reason and your entitled to that. But the passive aggressive comments don't do you any favors.

OK. Let's simplify. SI isn't as strong as St. Mary's. Therefore, Mitty should have more success vs. SI. Passive aggressive? My shrink says no. And she's a Mitty graduate with a nasty crossover.

Reactions: OnBall8
According to Maxpreps, MItty has NINE players that are six feet tall. Most CCS programs will not have that many six footers in two decades. Tonight they win a WCAL game by 56 points, after winning the previous game by 68. This is in the WCAL, a phenomenal league!

At a baseline, high sports should be fun, but Mitty has stockpiled so much talent, that I struggle to see how these games are enjoyable for anybody. These scores boggle the mind. Its as if 8 Kevin Durants joined the Warriors in 2017 and not just one. On one hand I am impressed with the schools ability to attract so many outstanding athletes, but the margin of victory in league games the last few years is massive.

Was thinking the same thing. It's brutal to be on the losing end of a score like that, but it can't be all that much fun to be on the winning end either.

But what's the league supposed to do? Institute a mercy rule? Make Mitty play 4 against 5? (Mitty would still win easily)

Game tomorrow v. BOD should be more competitive.

Was thinking the same thing. It's brutal to be on the losing end of a score like that, but it can't be all that much fun to be on the winning end either.

But what's the league supposed to do? Institute a mercy rule? Make Mitty play 4 against 5? (Mitty would still win easily)

Game tomorrow v. BOD should be more competitive.
I am not sure if there is any sort of solution, as high school sports at some schools has certainly evolved from an after school, extra-curricular activity, coached by the PE staff, to big business. And let's be honest, athletics is one of the primary attractions for many of the local private/Catholic schools. Because of the high end competition and visibility of those programs, parents see those schools as a springboard for college scholarships, but at 25K to 30K a year in tuition (plus club sports expenses), at best, you are trading off college tuition expenses for high school.

I graduated from high school in 1992, and Bellarmine was probably the only true "regional" school, but since then, the reach is wider and deeper. For example, Mitty's two signature female athletes both come from over Highway 17, and a school like St. Francis now gets students from across the Dumbarton Bridge and up the Peninsula, and not just their traditional Mountain View/Los Altos/Menlo Park/Redwood City core area.

Valley Christian has also done more to alter the CCS athletic landscape than anyone, particularly in baseball and football. It is remarkable what that school has been able to accomplish in a relatively short amount of time. Heck, I remember when their football coach was at Saratoga, finishing 0-18 in a DAAL baseball season! Since then he has constructed an impressive football program that is Top 3 in CCS every year.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT