ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty rolls SMB

Oh my is right. Obviously Mitty is a special team, but what in the world has happened to SMB? I take it this was a running clock or Mitty would have broken 100?

I heard that there may have been an administrative shift of priorities at SMB with a heavier emphasis on academics. Maybe that's factor.

I also think SMB has some injuries, but regardless, that is not pretty.

Good for SMB focus on academics. .
When the WNBA starts really paying
Like it should....focus on school

Reactions: TwinJevonne
They had talent in the program as little as 3 years ago from my memory. And I say program because I remember seeing their JV play that year and they were a solid to very good JV team. And the thing that caught me off guard about last night was that I honestly felt that JV team from 3-4 years ago was better than the team I saw last night. That is a huge downfall for any program.

And to answer observer's question, Mitty probably could have shot for 200 if they didn't call off the press when they got up 20 in the 1st..

Good for SMB focus on academics. .
When the WNBA starts really paying
Like it should....focus on school

There are kids who can do both...it's called being a "Student-Athlete". I know this is foreign (or more so) on the boys side, but on the girls side I've seen a difference. A school like Mitty, La Jolla Country Day, SHC, C-Let...they all have very high academic standards and yet field competitive teams. Why can't a school do both. They're supposed to be fostering quality student athletes...not focus on one side and forsake the other.

If we were to equate HS sports to the pay of professional women we wouldn't have high school sports. Outside of the National Soccer team, where can a woman make a GOOD living playing sports in this country? The average wnba salary is right around 50k, Women's Soccer league max is 37k and base of 7k, 500 to 5k per month for professional volleyball. What's the point of playing sports if it doesn't pay the bills? I agree get a good education, but in women's sports, there's so much more to it than money. networking, camaraderie, possible college or professional coaching...

I think there might be fewer student-athletes who do both at a high level than there are schools who want them.

Clay, I"m not sure I get what you're saying. If you looked at the all academic teams from NCS, on the girls side, there's a large number of schools that qualified. I'm just saying why can't schools be both academic and high level hoop programs; private OR public. Everyone knows about the high level of education in the Lamorinda/680 corridor area as opposed to Fremont, Oakland, or SF public schools. Throw in there the privates and while it's semi-rare, you can find a school that fosters both the academic and athletic side of the coins.

There are kids who can do both...it's called being a "Student-Athlete". I know this is foreign (or more so) on the boys side, but on the girls side I've seen a difference. A school like Mitty, La Jolla Country Day, SHC, C-Let...they all have very high academic standards and yet field competitive teams. Why can't a school do both. They're supposed to be fostering quality student athletes...not focus on one side and forsake the other.

If we were to equate HS sports to the pay of professional women we wouldn't have high school sports. Outside of the National Soccer team, where can a woman make a GOOD living playing sports in this country? The average wnba salary is right around 50k, Women's Soccer league max is 37k and base of 7k, 500 to 5k per month for professional volleyball. What's the point of playing sports if it doesn't pay the bills? I agree get a good education, but in women's sports, there's so much more to it than money. networking, camaraderie, possible college or professional coaching...

The schools listed above have a high number of true student athletes. Those programs are extremely challenging, both athletically and academically. I think there are few unique programs that truly prepare these athletes for what they will be experiencing in a Div 1 overall environment. Many of these young athletes, despite dominating or excelling at a high level in high school ball or AAU, are not really prepared going in to the demanding full time student athlete college experience. The level of detail and the amount of preparation time is a bit of a shock for most. The basketball process of reading and understanding scouting reports, many offensive and defensive sets, speed of the game, the uplift of consistent competitive talent game to game, not being the dominating player you were in high school, adjusting to new teammates that you've just met. All of this with trying to handle from being away from home comforts for the first time, and a full academic load, balancing domestic duties on their own for the first time.

I can truly see why there are many transfers. The shock to the system can be great and many have a tough time handling it

I know we talk about talent level of players and the many offers they have received, but keep in mind, at the college level there are many aspects that the college coaches take into account on their decision to offer a player a scholarship.

My poorly made point was that there are only so many elite student-athletes available. There are elite students and elite athletes but the overlap isn't a large number, and the competition for that group creates issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT