ADVERTISEMENT

Modesto Christian - Bellarmine

From the Mercury News reporting, sounds like it got chippy at the end

Good writeup / game summary as usual by Darren Sabedra - Mercury News. Paraphrasing from the article here - apologies to Darren / Merc:

"The verbal exchange between coaches came after Bellarmine waived the white flag by pulling all five starters with 37 seconds with the Bells coach and players exchanging hugs on their way out of the game. The MC coach decided to leave his starters in who subsequently attacked the Bellarmine reserves and ended the game on an exclamation-point dunk! This greatly upset the Bellarmine coaches with the MC coach screaming back at the Bellarmine coaches."

Unfortunate end to the game and i wonder about a coach that would let his team do that at the end of a game they had comfortably won.....

What a shame !

Don’t know the MC staff but from what I saw a few weeks ago they are a classless bunch. They eliminated a team from playoffs and as the opposing team is walking out of locker room the MC staff immediately approaches a few of the better underclassman on the team and recruits them for chuck Hayes aau team and is literally passing out business cards. Complete scumbags in my book.

Reactions: BadBucks
I watched the game. There was nothing that occurred at the moment in time that was out of the ordinary. It was such a close game all game that even with 40 seconds left it felt like the game was not over. This is the open division. MC was not up by 20+. You play until the end of the game. To get mad about a dunk with 37 seconds left w hen you turned it over on your side of the court trying to score is a little soft. The Bellarmine coach running to the MC sideline was what was classless. What did you expect to have happen. Of course the MC coach was going to yell back.

Reactions: LoganHomer
To me it's pretty classless / punk a$$ to rub another team's second stringers nose in it with a meaningless dunk in closing seconds of a game well in hand - they were up by 13 points! MC should have either substituted their starters out which would have given the home crowd an opportunity to cheer their support OR instructed them to run out the clock. We teach our 3rd / 4th graders those lessons in CYO / AAU........

Reactions: GOTF and Lincoln240
If you do not want them to dunk at the end of the game, keep your starters in or tell the backups to play some defense!

I have never understood the the concept of emptying your bench with less than a minute to play. The respective fans can cheer for the players after the game.

Reactions: LoganHomer
So what if the bells just grabbed the starter from MC and slammed him to the floor for trying to dunk once The bellls had conceded the game ? How would that have gone over ? Come on what MC did was classlaess. What it really shows is that the coaching staff and team isn’t accustomed to beating good teams, and it clearly shows. Win with class and RESPECT THE GAME......

What it really shows is that the coaching staff and team isn’t accustomed to beating good teams

Are we talking about the same MC program? The one that went 32-2 just two years ago? and 30-4 the year before that? and 29-4 the year before that?

It wasn't a massive blowout, the game was close until the final minutes when MC started to pull away and that dunk was the exclamation point on the win. There's nothing classless about that, Bells were just frustrated they were about to lose

Are we talking about the same MC program? The one that went 32-2 just two years ago? and 30-4 the year before that? and 29-4 the year before that?

It wasn't a massive blowout, the game was close until the final minutes when MC started to pull away and that dunk was the exclamation point on the win. There's nothing classless about that, Bells were just frustrated they were about to lose

Same program new coaching staff! Next time opponent should take dunker out with hard foul! Up 13 points so don't give us the close BS!

Anytime a team subs out his starters and ur up by double digits with under a minute, most teams won’t even shoot the ball. To dunk on someone is absolutely classless and disrespectful. Anyone on this board that thinks otherwise just shows ur ignorance. MC is lucky I wasn’t coaching, I would have had my player clothes line the kid trying to dunk and we would have had ourselves a fun time. When did winning comfortably not become enough? So many ignorant AAU people on here that don’t understand.

Reactions: BadBucks and GOTF
MC is lucky I wasn’t coaching, I would have had my player clothes line the kid trying to dunk and we would have had ourselves a fun time.

wtf, I think we're all lucky you're not coaching. This is by far the worst thing I've read on this forum, grown ass men talking about injuring high school kids.

@Logan, u could try, I’m 6’4 240 and still in great shape. I have coached over 15 years at the collegiate level including 12 at the D1 level. My sons have played for some of the best high school coaches in NorCal and my players play hard and fair, but they also are not going to be disrespected like that either. If a hard foul in that situation upsets u that much, then U gotta do what u gotta do.

Reactions: GOTF
@Amttbo maybe that’s why you aren’t coaching, and just another ignorant person on this board that has nothing better to do but say what he would have done to some teenage kids. You coached 12 years at the division one level but you’re on this bored saying “U gotta do what u gotta do” lol. Yea right come on man. Just be a fan and enjoy this beautiful game of basketball. I teach my kids keep playing till the buzzer sounds off no matter what the score is. These kids work their butts off just to have the chance at a fast break look where they can showcase the talent and athleticism. Most people who don’t agree with this could never dunk a basketball. Below the rim type of players. Have a good night sir

@Logan, u could try, I’m 6’4 240 and still in great shape. I have coached over 15 years at the collegiate level including 12 at the D1 level. My sons have played for some of the best high school coaches in NorCal and my players play hard and fair, but they also are not going to be disrespected like that either. If a hard foul in that situation upsets u that much, then U gotta do what u gotta do.

I apologize for posting "id kick your ass if you did that", was pretty childish and immature of me (I edited it out immediately but I guess you caught that). Coming back to this thread after my emotions calmed down, I guess it depends on philosophy.

MoneyTeam and myself both agree with the play until the buzzer sounds mentality, and a couple others on this sub think it's disrespectful. I still think even thinking of clotheslining a HS player is ridiculous but who am I to become all moral on an internet forum so I'll see myself out of this discussion

Reactions: m4success
When losing team pulls thier starters, conceding the game, then winning team should follow suit. Perhaps the game was too quick for the MC coach to realize what the right thing to do was......????
I doubt the intent was to have his kids showboat with the Bells bench on the floor, but an apology, not a demonstrative retort with a weak argument, should have happened.
Whatever colors you were rooting for, it was a bad look for MC.
Class is shown, not spoken.....

I’m fortunate enough to live in kind of the center point of NorCal to where I can maneuver easy throughout the Bay Area, Sacramento and the Central Valley and see all these teams play enough times throughout the year.

If you look at my post history you will see I am not bias or associated with any particular program and I do my best to see the best teams (or the best teams in my opinion) play as many times a year as I can.

I was hoping this post would die because every time I see it move back to the top I’m hoping it would be something related to the great game the KIDS played on both teams. Not everyone’s opinion on the last 45 seconds of coaching philosophy.

No one has ONCE mentioned how great of a player Jake Wojcik is and how this kid shoots lights out. Or how MC’s best player Junior Ballard had 2 points at halftime then scored 18 or 20 second half points to help lead his team to victory. Or that this game was a chess match between coaches. 23 to 23 at halftime I believe. Are you kidding me?? 23 points! If you follow MC you know they score in the 80’s a lot and that the Bells style of play was dominant until the 4th quarter.

Instead, we have what I’m assuming is a bunch of 40 year old men threatening to fight each other, saying I would have done this and that and just a bunch other non sense.

If you weren’t at the game then I’m assuming you are basing your opinion off of a newspaper article or this thread. I was at the game...

To be fair MC did hold the ball and run the clock out the last possession of the game. It wasn't like the dunk happened on the last play. MC almost lost to Capital in the regular season when they were up 10 with a minute to play. Maybe the coach just wasn't taking any chances. And even though Bellarmine did sub, their subs continued to press and didn't stop playing.

Same situation yesterday with Kansas up 9 with 26 seconds left and West Virginia continued to press. Kansas got an alley oop dunk. I didn’t see Bob Huggins crying about it. And truthfully I don’t think anyone would have even noticed anything if the Bells coach didn't act like a little kid. The dunk play wasn't anything that doesn't happen all season.

Bells coach was obviously livid crossing pretty close into MC’s territory on the sideline. He was yelling and hollering at the coach, it was obvious he wasn’t inviting him out for coffee and donuts. Was that classy or ethical? Was it justified because MC’s coach didn’t pull his starters?

Two wrongs don’t make a right???

This is Open playoffs! The best of the best. The “best” 8 teams (to CIF anyways) on the biggest stage. Everyone is acting like it was a superior team playing a league game against a team that clearly didn’t belong. A couple more rebounds or made shots this game could of had a different winner.

Either you’re a fan of the Bells, MC or neutral. It doesn’t matter either way. I don’t think any of us are going to change one another’s opinion on the matter. So, all this was probably pointless to write as well. Lol. Can we now put this to rest and focus on the great remaining games across all divisions.

Last edited:
Maybe it was against Modesto Christian that Bellarmine went for a fake 2-point conversion leading 45-0 in a football game. Yes, this did happen.

Being that said, it frankly was not right to do this at end of game. I know as a official I often tell teams to pull it out or no foul at the end of an already decided game. Just a preventative measure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT