ADVERTISEMENT

Modesto Christian takes its first loss

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Modesto Christian fell to Central 85-62 at the Nike Invitational. MC will play San Joaquin Memorial in the third place game.

SJM beat Moreau Catholic at the NorCal Tip Off Classic

Yeah, they are without three starters right now. Two that are transfers sitting out the 30 days and their starting center is out with an injury Gabe Murphy.

They were rolling last night. All three were still out and they took it to SJM of Fresno with Jalen Green.

MC led by as many as 28 but finished with a 17 point victory.

Jalen Green is a stud. He had almost 50 points.

Modesto Christian fell to Central 85-62 at the Nike Invitational. MC will play San Joaquin Memorial in the third place game.

SJM beat Moreau Catholic at the NorCal Tip Off Classic
Modesto Chrstn has to win NorCal this year. No excuses!

I don't know about have to. Looking like O'Dowd and Salesian are the clear favorites as of now. Salesian is the best team I have seen and O'Dowd has some huge wins already.
I don't know about have to. Looking like O'Dowd and Salesian are the clear favorites as of now. Salesian is the best team I have seen and O'Dowd has some huge wins already.
Im picking them to win the "OPEN" this year.. They will also add a D1 guard in a few weeks. Winning tradition and multiple trips to the NorCal Finals, experience will win out...

They certainly have a chance. I am personally taking Salesian. Akinjo is just a different animal. I think to many of Modesto Christian's key guys are underclassmen. Clear cut favorite next season. You win with Seniors. Look at O'Dowd last year. All of the talent in the world. Was just too young. Which is why I think come playoff time Folsom with all of those seniors will be a tough out.

Reactions: nostancenochance
They certainly have a chance. I am personally taking Salesian. Akinjo is just a different animal. I think to many of Modesto Christian's key guys are underclassmen. Clear cut favorite next season. You win with Seniors. Look at O'Dowd last year. All of the talent in the world. Was just too young. Which is why I think come playoff time Folsom with all of those seniors will be a tough out.
When you have guards like Salesian and O'Dowd in high school you will be tough to beat. Capital Christian has very good guard play. But those 2 are a step above, hence 2 of their 3 losses. Is Big Hawk back for O Dowd?

Who's the D1 guard for MC? MC has a post presence that Salesian & Odowd are lacking, but I'm taking Salesian & Akinjo for now to win the Open

Reactions: factsmatter8888
Modesto Christian looks really athletic but do they have the discipline to roll with Salesian? I know they are missing a few guys but from the outside looking in it looks like they may struggle with teams that can athletically hang with them. I think salesian is playing at a different level. When your only loss is a close one to Bishop Gorman I think that says a lot. They both though will be norcal open teams so hopefully we get to see the game full strength. I also don't think saying things like win norcal or bust is really fair to anyone. Anything can happen in one game.

Modesto Christian looks really athletic but do they have the discipline to roll with Salesian? I know they are missing a few guys but from the outside looking in it looks like they may struggle with teams that can athletically hang with them. I think salesian is playing at a different level. When your only loss is a close one to Bishop Gorman I think that says a lot. They both though will be norcal open teams so hopefully we get to see the game full strength.

I believe they are scheduled to play (MC v Salesian) in January

What is the deal with SJM? They aren't very good at all. How does a 5 star kid not will some of these games to victory? Here is a case where I could see him transferring to another school or academy. I never understood the Jordan Brown thing because you have a very good (elite) level HS team that took a top 5 nationally ranked team to the wire with a great coach.
I would never count out Salesian, ODOWD, or CC. If you ask me Modesto is not the favorites.

What is the deal with SJM? They aren't very good at all. How does a 5 star kid not will some of these games to victory? Here is a case where I could see him transferring to another school or academy. I never understood the Jordan Brown thing because you have a very good (elite) level HS team that took a top 5 nationally ranked team to the wire with a great coach.
I would never count out Salesian, ODOWD, or CC. If you ask me Modesto is not the favorites.

I saw SJM play at the Newark event. The injured player ( Douglas) is a real stud, going to Loyola-CA i believe. They will be a much better team when he gets back. Team defense is not very good though.

[QUOTE="SmoothJay, post: 187386, member: 1736"...Team defense is not very good though.[/QUOTE]

This. Their defense was somewhat better in the Nov. 25 Moreau game, but far from terrific (I vented much frustration over their lack of D, *manyyy* times, in my thread from yesterday). Will all those athletes, they should be able to flat shut some folks dowwwwwn, even without Douglas, but they don't appear to do so, not even at full strength.

Good news for them is they play Clovis West today, whom I also thought displayed holes in their D (but not quite so porous as SJM). Game will be fast, fun and frustrating all at the same time...

I think Clovis and MC will meet in the final tomorrow. I'll watch the semis online, but I'm going to Acalanes for the Chris Huber today (closer and earlier, and I'm tired after all that driving to Modesto and such the first two days).

The Riordan-Aca final should be a good one...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT