ADVERTISEMENT

Monterey Trail-Folsom set for 2021 fall opener

To bad Folsom wouldn't play Rocklin....Frosh and JV rescheduled for Saturday but the Varsity could not....

To bad Folsom wouldn't play Rocklin....Frosh and JV rescheduled for Saturday but the Varsity could not....
Yeah. Rocklin had the line and size this year to play Folsom tough. Folsom returns a lot of players and good frosh/jv so they are my favorite in SJS.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Yeah. Rocklin had the line and size this year to play Folsom tough. Folsom returns a lot of players and good frosh/jv so they are my favorite in SJS.
Folsom will be really good, I agree. They were young this year and had size and athleticism at all three levels. It's amazing how many good players play for Folsom. Rocklin had a big line. We had trouble with them but their best lineman, per reports, was not the best I saw in the league this season. Rocklin will be very good next year as well.

Last edited:
MT is in the rebuild/re-load mode. The program was really primed with this last senior class. This lost season (2020) could have been the best, and that's saying something after the 2018 and 2019 groups.

There is good talent coming up from the JV team and solid players in the class of 2022. The biggest obstacle for many of the current juniors was that there were so many talented seniors in front of them and so few games for them to pick up playing time to mature. I'm no fan of MT being in the Metro League for football, but one silver lining is that those games allowed for every player to get game-time snaps against an unfamiliar opponent. This last Spring season didn't afford enough of that for anyone.

Still, MT is bringing back potential All-Metro players at linebacker, several outstanding linemen on both offense and defense, a running back who had multiple 100 yard games, and a QB who has been running the Veer since the 1st grade. No one is crying for our struggles.

MT is in the rebuild/re-load mode. The program was really primed with this last senior class. This lost season (2020) could have been the best, and that's saying something after the 2018 and 2019 groups.

There is good talent coming up from the JV team and solid players in the class of 2022. The biggest obstacle for many of the current juniors was that there were so many talented seniors in front of them and so few games for them to pick up playing time to mature. I'm no fan of MT being in the Metro League for football, but one silver lining is that those games allowed for every player to get game-time snaps against an unfamiliar opponent. This last Spring season didn't afford enough of that for anyone.

Still, MT is bringing back potential All-Metro players at linebacker, several outstanding linemen on both offense and defense, a running back who had multiple 100 yard games, and a QB who has been running the Veer since the 1st grade. No one is crying for our struggles.

I think this could be a special Folsom team. Tremain is an absolute stud Hs QB. Some of these other kids who look good at combines can’t sniff him. But at 5”11 you aren’t going to get many looks. They have d1 receivers, TE, lineman.. etc. honestly they have making of a state title team. The Pitt va Folsom game will be amazing. But Pitt needs to find a QB to replace the Whitney transfer.

I think this could be a special Folsom team. Tremain is an absolute stud Hs QB. Some of these other kids who look good at combines can’t sniff him. But at 5”11 you aren’t going to get many looks. They have d1 receivers, TE, lineman.. etc. honestly they have making of a state title team. The Pitt va Folsom game will be amazing. But Pitt needs to find a QB to replace the Whitney transfer.

I think they have one in Rashada

Reactions: THEOC89
This is just a hunch, but I wonder if it was about getting a senior looks over a sophomore.

Reactions: MC415
I thought the Whitney kid was underrated. He can play in college somewhere. Athletic, decent size and strong arm. He might need JC but don’t be surprised if he ends up D1 after a year or 2.

Agreed. You can't coach accuracy, decision making and processing speed. Drew Brees would never have been offered in today's environment.

What’s the ratio of nfl starters who are 6’2 and taller versus under 6 feet? Don’t think the numbers lie, there is always an outlier here and there

Everyone here dissing on Rashada ? He’s a sophomore for fvck sake, he threw 8tds just like your hero from Whitney (with less attempts) I’m sure by the time he’s a senior and has had more experience he will be just fine

Great to see this game. Two power houses in the area. Its been great to watch in prior years.

Reactions: MTsince2004
What’s the ratio of nfl starters who are 6’2 and taller versus under 6 feet? Don’t think the numbers lie, there is always an outlier here and there
I would counter that with what is the percentage of 6’4 tall that fail vs the 6 feet and under that are given the opportunity?

Everyone here dissing on Rashada ? He’s a sophomore for fvck sake, he threw 8tds just like your hero from Whitney (with less attempts) I’m sure by the time he’s a senior and has had more experience he will be just fine
Whoa easy MC....it was a comparison of the two as of now and it was more a conversation of why Brickhandler didn’t get more looks.

The Monterey Trail football schedule is pretty much set at this point. Changes can occur, of course, but these are posted on Max Preps.

According to Calpreps.com, the non-league games feature the #1 (Folsom), #2 (Lincoln of Stkn) and #23 (Cosumnes Oaks) teams in the SJS as well as the #1 (De la Salle) and #4 (Clayton Valley Charter) teams in the NCS.

The Metro League schedule consists of McClatchy, River City, Kennedy, Burbank, and Laguna Creek.

Last edited:
The SJS should go to FB only leagues.
Agreed. In reality, there wouldn't even be that much movement. Many leagues seem pretty balanced in football, with the usual ebb and flow of each school allowing for up and down years. However, the placement of Monterey Trail in the Metro for football was just an egregious mismatching of a particular program to a particular league.

MT is fine in the Metro for most sports. There is a lot more competitive equity there and the placement makes a lot of sense.

Football is it's own thing due to the consistency of the particular program and the nature of the sport itself. We'll have up and down years in football, like anyone else, but MT has always competed in a physical manner during league play for the last dozen years. A more nuanced approach should have been taken back at the last re-shuffling. It's no fun to see running clocks week after week, regardless of which end of it you are on. That's what league alignments are supposed to try to prevent.

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
Can someone with inside info let us know how Folsom's line will look. They lost some quality lineman and return to 300 pounders that look a bit chunky. I'm not seeing how this line is going to compete with top tier teams. Great skill players become average when the QB has no time and no running game. I'm just not seeing where all the hype is coming from and I certainly don't see this team as being as complete as past teams. I'm a Folsom but I think they will struggle against elite teams with line issues

Can someone with inside info let us know how Folsom's line will look. They lost some quality lineman and return to 300 pounders that look a bit chunky. I'm not seeing how this line is going to compete with top tier teams. Great skill players become average when the QB has no time and no running game. I'm just not seeing where all the hype is coming from and I certainly don't see this team as being as complete as past teams. I'm a Folsom but I think they will struggle against elite teams with line issues
They have a lot of returners getting attention, but you are correct that linemen aren't a part of that conversation. I always thought that was the underrated part of Richardson's coaching that with his OL background, he molded some really good groups that had some stars but also had a lot of good HS linemen

Reactions: thespecialone
We were pretty fortunate to have watched some great Folsom teams over the prior decade.+ Teams that will go down as best in generations. They have some big kids coming up from lower ranks in addition to returning a bunch in that 6”3 280+ range. Speed always kills so against Pitt and DLS we will really see. I don’t think Folsom gets challenged much by anybody in SJS this year though. They just return so many and had strong frosh and jv teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT