ADVERTISEMENT

Moreau Catholic Summer Shootout June 22/23/24

REALLY nice, very well-organized website... I think I commented on this last year, too.

I even made it there for a day or two... Maybe I can get down there this year, too... Maybe.

Wow, Bentley and a few other small schools are in that playing against some of the big boys. Good way to see where your at and challenge your team.

Came away impressed with moreau as a team they play very well together and also
play extremely hard they are set up to have a very nice season D 2 NCS should be
alot of fun to follow as there is no clear cut favorite.

The style that Moreau plays with all of the trapping is very successful during the summer. Most teams are not prepared for traps unless they an experienced group returning. The guys coming up from JV and have to face the athleticism of Moreau is overwhelming. Teams need some time to prepare for this kind of pressure.
However, it won't matter in their league except for Newark and Logan.

What happened with DLS? The website shows they lost to Logan in a semi by the score of 2-1.

They don't "run 40 seconds off the shot clock" at all. If that were even possible, doing that kind of thing often would almost be called "stalling". In all the many DLS games I've seen I have never seen them just "run clock" or "stall" except for when game situations called for them to "hold for one" at the end of a quarter or game. Even in that super-low-scoring DLS-MC game in the NorCal final a couple years ago, no purposeful stall tactics were done by either team (except those late-game situations).

They are always going for a layup using their back-door plays, and if the attempt doesn't work the first time, they keep on doing it until it either DOES work or they get a wide-open jumper, or the clock forces them to put up something late.

The more speed, skill, and talent they have, the more often they show some early offense.

Believe it or not, I've actually seen them score 90+ in games... To do that, it takes early offense.

I admit these bursts of high scoring don't occur too often, but part of the reason for that is the fact that most of the teams they play now have seen their system a LOT and therefore are a lot better at defending against it.

Why is it that no matter who the coach is at DLS, they run 40 seconds off the shot clock?

Youseechief , you have a point. It comes down to clock management, which Allocco was a master. He set the table for the pacing that became DLS offense. Kiddman hits on some of the details.
Look at it this way. There are 32 minutes in the game. Thirty two possessions or so, for each team. There was no way DLS was going to play, and run an up and down game, with a high powered team.
Use the clock, take the pacing away from the other team. This also cuts down on turnovers, ( a game killer )
I can't tell you how many years I would watch teams chasing DLS guards out on the perimeter, near the half court line.
Wearing themselves out, chasing the weave, only to give up that back door cut.
Year after year I would ask myself why the other team would not simply pull back

Here's a story from McClymonds Coach Dwight (Moe) Nathaniel, the year they won the state championship ( 2007-2008 season)
When I talked to him, he told me they practiced DLS's plays all year. His players asked why they did this, and didn't use them?
He said, he knew they would meet DLS in the Norcal's and wanted them to be ready for it.
Never falling for the chase.
Read Coach Moe's book about that year, it is heart felt and a great insight.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Youseechief , you have a point. It comes down to clock management, which Allocco was a master. He set the table for the pacing that became DLS offense. Kiddman hits on some of the details.
Look at it this way. There are 32 minutes in the game. Thirty two possessions or so, for each team. There was no way DLS was going to play, and run an up and down game, with a high powered team.
Use the clock, take the pacing away from the other team. This also cuts down on turnovers, ( a game killer )
I can't tell you how many years I would watch teams chasing DLS guards out on the perimeter, near the half court line.
Wearing themselves out, chasing the weave, only to give up that back door cut.
Year after year I would ask myself why the other team would not simply pull back

Here's a story from McClymonds Coach Dwight (Moe) Nathaniel, the year they won the state championship ( 2007-2008 season)
When I talked to him, he told me they practiced DLS's plays all year. His players asked why they did this, and didn't use them?
He said, he knew they would meet DLS in the Norcal's and wanted them to be ready for it.
Never falling for the chase.
Read Coach Moe's book about that year, it is heart felt and a great insight.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Coach Moe's book on that season was really good. Highly recommend.

DLS style has given them arguably the most wins in Norcal over the last 20 years. I'm just throwing that out there from my experience watching hoops in norcal but I would be willing to bet they are #1 if not #2. (salesian probably right there as well). Do what you do well and let others adapt. A lot of teams can learn from this.

DLS style has given them arguably the most wins in Norcal over the last 20 years. I'm just throwing that out there from my experience watching hoops in norcal but I would be willing to bet they are #1 if not #2. (salesian probably right there as well). Do what you do well and let others adapt. A lot of teams can learn from this.

Modesto Christian has to be in that discussion right?

They don't "run 40 seconds off the shot clock" at all. If that were even possible, doing that kind of thing often would almost be called "stalling". In all the many DLS games I've seen I have never seen them just "run clock" or "stall" except for when game situations called for them to "hold for one" at the end of a quarter or game. Even in that super-low-scoring DLS-MC game in the NorCal final a couple years ago, no purposeful stall tactics were done by either team (except those late-game situations).

They are always going for a layup using their back-door plays, and if the attempt doesn't work the first time, they keep on doing it until it either DOES work or they get a wide-open jumper, or the clock forces them to put up something late.

The more speed, skill, and talent they have, the more often they show some early offense.

Believe it or not, I've actually seen them score 90+ in games... To do that, it takes early offense.

I admit these bursts of high scoring don't occur too often, but part of the reason for that is the fact that most of the teams they play now have seen their system a LOT and therefore are a lot better at defending against it.
Obviously they can’t run 40 seconds off the clock. I also understand what their goal is in running a deliberate clock managing offense. I don’t believe they can or should press for 32 minutes but they aren’t less athletic than Campo and Campo is 10x more fun to watch; so I don’t buy the ability or athleticism determining style of play argument. 3 coaches, 3 years of faster pace of play talk, and three years of snail ball. If they actually opened it up a bit, they would probably lose a few more games but would also attract 1 or 2 more guys and in the long run, they’d dominate. For basketball purists, they’re great to watch, for everyone else, we rather get root canals.

Reactions: kiddman32
Chief... I can't argue with your rebuttal, even though I think watching DLS play is entertaining when they've got higher-level talent than they've had the last two seasons. These last two years have been a bit of a grind, and I drove right past DLS home games a number of times the last couple years while on the way to go see Campo play.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to go into MaxPreps and add up the records of the teams mentioned thus far. Tossed in my St. Joe's Pilots, too... And Campo, St. Mary's Stockton, Sheldon, and Branson.

MaxPreps records only go back 14 years, but that's kinda-sorta close-ish to 20 years... Right? :)

Anyway...

Modesto Christian 379
Salesian 376
DLS 376
Branson 364
St. Joe's 320
St. Mary's Stockton 319
Newark Memorial 314
Campo 291
Sheldon 280

There ya have it, my lil exercise in geekiness.

Reactions: Genethia
Just for the heck of it, I decided to go into MaxPreps and add up the records of the teams mentioned thus far. Tossed in my St. Joe's Pilots, too... And Campo, St. Mary's Stockton, Sheldon, and Branson.

MaxPreps records only go back 14 years, but that's kinda-sorta close-ish to 20 years... Right? :)

Anyway...

Modesto Christian 379
Salesian 376
DLS 376
Branson 364
St. Joe's 320
St. Mary's Stockton 319
Newark Memorial 314
Campo 291
Sheldon 280

There ya have it, my lil exercise in geekiness.

Thanks for taking the time to look up these records. Numbers don’t always tell the whole picture though. Until recent years most of these teams rarely played outside of their local area and amassed 28-30 win seasons in lower Divisions. DLS and Sheldon, may be the exception always playing in higher/national level tournaments. MC and Salesian now also doing the same.

All those teams listed have great programs. I would say Newark has fallen off quite a bit the last 5+ years compared to what they use to be like but its not for lack of coaching. (talent just hasn't been there).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT