ADVERTISEMENT

My Proposed Structure of CCS Regular Season & Playoffs

Dec 16, 2020
*PLEASE DO NOT RAIN ON MY PARADE WITH ANNOYING POLITICALLY-CHARGED COMMENTS BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY FROM MY WORK AND POTENTIAL DISCOURSE. WE DONT CARE IF YOU THINK COVID IS REAL OR NOT OR THAT NEWSOM SHOULD BE RECALLED; WE DON'T CARE*

For shits and giggles, feast your eyes on the My COVID proposed structure of how the CCS Regular Season and Playoff System would operate:

My Stream of Consciousness when developing this idea (If you don't care, just scroll until pix):

* Geography is the name of the game right now. My initial idea was for teams to strictly play within their school districts. Unfortunately, there are too many districts with 1 team in it. I also was ignorant to the fact that there are 3 CCS schools in San Francisco County and merely 1 in San Benito County. No dice.

* After lumping up schools by district (and WCALs in their neighboring public school district), I thought to put districts into their county designations then separate teams by their A, B, and C designations in order to somehow create a playoff system and regular season system for the A's, B's, and C's in efforts to maintain the ever sought "Competitive Equity". My qualms with it were 1) Too much uneven amount of A, B, and C teams in each county for it to be fluid across the counties and 2) I don't think the powers that be would even then be satisfied enough with the travel between teams on opposite edges of the county (It's a far drive from Palo Alto to Milpitas). It was a thought that I couldn't rationalize confidently enough to pursue further. I really wanted to hammer away at potentially nullifying or at least getting pretty close to nullifying transportation woes and ensure the powers that be that we are indeed trying to play as close as we possibly can to our nearby schools.

*Before I could do that though, I had to accept 1 thing: San Francisco teams would need to play with San Mateo teams and San Benito (Hollister) would need to play with Monterey County teams. Luckily, there is a small point mentioned in the new guidelines that you can play teams in bordering counties as long as both county health officers approve it (I am paraphrasing but it was something to that effect). 6 counties was a tough number to get to a 40-team playoff but 4 now (San Fran + San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Benito + Monterey, and Santa Cruz) would be way more realistic. So, as previously stated, I lumped all schools by their A, B, and C designation within their counties/SuperCounties. Within each of these 4 Counties/SuperCounties, I counted up the # of teams in each of them and then determined roughly how much teams should be allocated playoff spots for each of the 4. My basic arithmetic can be found somewhere below. From there, I was able to quickly develop a playoff system that still had 40 teams and 3-rounds (Details on the system can be found somewhere below).

* Now that I had a Playoff System, I had to come up with a way for it to make sense and appease County Health Officers. Great, Geography is the name of the game so let's go with that:
- I divided SF+SM, SB+Mont. Counties by North and South
- I divided Santa Clara by North, West, East, South, and Central
- I kept Santa Cruz County as is

~ Sweet, I now have 2, 4-man brackets EACH for SF+SM & SB.+Mont. (4 Brackets in total). I have 5, 4-Man brackets for Santa Clara, and 1 for Santa Cruz. It's really coming together! But now how can I take this further?

* I decided to create 6-team regular season schedules for all 95 teams (Yes, Rancho San Juan has a Varsity team now) using those new sub-geographical groups within counties. I lined up the weeks to push them back as late as possible so they do not conflict with the date provided by SMAC regarding when the last contest must be complete if we want to play this current school year and in Fall.

The fruits of my labor can be found somewhere below but please read these points before viewing (I also provide start dates and what a calendar would look like with and without a playoff system):

*1) CCS By-Law amended to 21 points differential would activate the running clock and/or modified gameplay agreed upon between coaches and referees pre-game.
Rationale: There will be some lopsided match ups when your main precedent is scheduling to remain geographically as close to opponents as possible. I would also hope all coaches would take on the same attitude as Coach Walsh and Alumbaugh publicly proclaimed to the Mercury News when they stated they would try to play all their players if possible because there is no guarantee of another game.

* I know many naysayers will say the following:

1) "SAFETY. WHAT THE HELL IS SERRA PLAYING WOODSIDE AND PROSPECT PLAYING MITTY?!"
- I agree. 100%. I also know we want to play. I would hope coaches would communicate before a game and work out a way to make contests happen where we can avoid something atrocious. When I talk to other coaches, I get the impression they would do whatever it takes to make it happen-- even if meant doing some modified stuff or giving starters x amount of plays in order for both sides to have fun CONSIDERING we are limited to our neighboring schools.

2) "GREAT EFFORT, TOO MUCH WORK"
- I can already hear the ADs saying this. But crazy enough, I made the schedule already. Disband Conferences and have us do this independent of our conferences and just have the powers that be designate which games are home and away then from there ADs schedule referees-- which should already be scheduled for these dates.

3) "PLAYOFF SYSTEM IS A PIPE DREAM"
- 100%!! But it makes sense at the same time!! We are going to be under the assumption come April (in this hypothetical world) that cross-county action can happen by then. If not, we designate each sub-county area as "champions" of their "league". I think most of us have accepted a playoff system wouldn't be happening anyways.

Master Overview
SF/SM North Regular Season Schedule
SF/SM South Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara North Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara West Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara Central Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara East Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara South Regular Season Schedule
SB/Mont. South Regular Season Schedule
SB/Mont. North Regular Season Schedule
Santa Cruz County Regular Season Schedule
Sample Playoff Structure

Will go through more thoroughly when I get some time this weekend, but just skimming you should be commended. Clearly well thought out and time put in it. You also added cushion for season starting later.

In a nutshell, it's time for CIF to allow each section to act on its own. The Southern Section, not surprisingly, is already moving in that direction. The aim would be to tailor sports offerings on a more local basis, county-by-county if you will. The circumstances are unique. CIF needs to cut the sections loose, without state playoffs. Some non-contact, outdoor sports are theoretically available now. Why the insistence on a statewide policy?

*PLEASE DO NOT RAIN ON MY PARADE WITH ANNOYING POLITICALLY-CHARGED COMMENTS BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY FROM MY WORK AND POTENTIAL DISCOURSE. WE DONT CARE IF YOU THINK COVID IS REAL OR NOT OR THAT NEWSOM SHOULD BE RECALLED; WE DON'T CARE*

For shits and giggles, feast your eyes on the My COVID proposed structure of how the CCS Regular Season and Playoff System would operate:

My Stream of Consciousness when developing this idea (If you don't care, just scroll until pix):

* Geography is the name of the game right now. My initial idea was for teams to strictly play within their school districts. Unfortunately, there are too many districts with 1 team in it. I also was ignorant to the fact that there are 3 CCS schools in San Francisco County and merely 1 in San Benito County. No dice.

* After lumping up schools by district (and WCALs in their neighboring public school district), I thought to put districts into their county designations then separate teams by their A, B, and C designations in order to somehow create a playoff system and regular season system for the A's, B's, and C's in efforts to maintain the ever sought "Competitive Equity". My qualms with it were 1) Too much uneven amount of A, B, and C teams in each county for it to be fluid across the counties and 2) I don't think the powers that be would even then be satisfied enough with the travel between teams on opposite edges of the county (It's a far drive from Palo Alto to Milpitas). It was a thought that I couldn't rationalize confidently enough to pursue further. I really wanted to hammer away at potentially nullifying or at least getting pretty close to nullifying transportation woes and ensure the powers that be that we are indeed trying to play as close as we possibly can to our nearby schools.

*Before I could do that though, I had to accept 1 thing: San Francisco teams would need to play with San Mateo teams and San Benito (Hollister) would need to play with Monterey County teams. Luckily, there is a small point mentioned in the new guidelines that you can play teams in bordering counties as long as both county health officers approve it (I am paraphrasing but it was something to that effect). 6 counties was a tough number to get to a 40-team playoff but 4 now (San Fran + San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Benito + Monterey, and Santa Cruz) would be way more realistic. So, as previously stated, I lumped all schools by their A, B, and C designation within their counties/SuperCounties. Within each of these 4 Counties/SuperCounties, I counted up the # of teams in each of them and then determined roughly how much teams should be allocated playoff spots for each of the 4. My basic arithmetic can be found somewhere below. From there, I was able to quickly develop a playoff system that still had 40 teams and 3-rounds (Details on the system can be found somewhere below).

* Now that I had a Playoff System, I had to come up with a way for it to make sense and appease County Health Officers. Great, Geography is the name of the game so let's go with that:
- I divided SF+SM, SB+Mont. Counties by North and South
- I divided Santa Clara by North, West, East, South, and Central
- I kept Santa Cruz County as is

~ Sweet, I now have 2, 4-man brackets EACH for SF+SM & SB.+Mont. (4 Brackets in total). I have 5, 4-Man brackets for Santa Clara, and 1 for Santa Cruz. It's really coming together! But now how can I take this further?

* I decided to create 6-team regular season schedules for all 95 teams (Yes, Rancho San Juan has a Varsity team now) using those new sub-geographical groups within counties. I lined up the weeks to push them back as late as possible so they do not conflict with the date provided by SMAC regarding when the last contest must be complete if we want to play this current school year and in Fall.

The fruits of my labor can be found somewhere below but please read these points before viewing (I also provide start dates and what a calendar would look like with and without a playoff system):

*1) CCS By-Law amended to 21 points differential would activate the running clock and/or modified gameplay agreed upon between coaches and referees pre-game.
Rationale: There will be some lopsided match ups when your main precedent is scheduling to remain geographically as close to opponents as possible. I would also hope all coaches would take on the same attitude as Coach Walsh and Alumbaugh publicly proclaimed to the Mercury News when they stated they would try to play all their players if possible because there is no guarantee of another game.

* I know many naysayers will say the following:

1) "SAFETY. WHAT THE HELL IS SERRA PLAYING WOODSIDE AND PROSPECT PLAYING MITTY?!"
- I agree. 100%. I also know we want to play. I would hope coaches would communicate before a game and work out a way to make contests happen where we can avoid something atrocious. When I talk to other coaches, I get the impression they would do whatever it takes to make it happen-- even if meant doing some modified stuff or giving starters x amount of plays in order for both sides to have fun CONSIDERING we are limited to our neighboring schools.

2) "GREAT EFFORT, TOO MUCH WORK"
- I can already hear the ADs saying this. But crazy enough, I made the schedule already. Disband Conferences and have us do this independent of our conferences and just have the powers that be designate which games are home and away then from there ADs schedule referees-- which should already be scheduled for these dates.

3) "PLAYOFF SYSTEM IS A PIPE DREAM"
- 100%!! But it makes sense at the same time!! We are going to be under the assumption come April (in this hypothetical world) that cross-county action can happen by then. If not, we designate each sub-county area as "champions" of their "league". I think most of us have accepted a playoff system wouldn't be happening anyways.

Master Overview
SF/SM North Regular Season Schedule
SF/SM South Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara North Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara West Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara Central Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara East Regular Season Schedule
Santa Clara South Regular Season Schedule
SB/Mont. South Regular Season Schedule
SB/Mont. North Regular Season Schedule
Santa Cruz County Regular Season Schedule
Sample Playoff Structure

Props for the work!!

Here's wishing you great Football

Clearly HHChicken you have not left 1 minute of the Shelter in Place go to waste. Some serious thoughts there Primo!! The CIF commissioners are trembling at the shadows you are casting.

Oh and I think I know who you are....... Just before the hour of the local Shelter in Place I swung by the neighborhood 7-11 for a cold 12 pack, some beef jerky sticks for the Mrs and some chocolate Yoo-hoo's for the kids and got knocked down at the entrance by some screaming Karen with her arms hugging 20 4 packs of Charmin jumbo rolls. As I got up I looked over to see this guy (you?) loading the back of his pickup with pallets of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks. I thought to myself "Now there is a man on a mission"....like driving non stop from here to Cabo in 3 hours or rewriting the CCS Season & Playoff Structure......

Last edited:
Good call about that load of TP. What's with this paranoia about supplies of double-ply? Jim Beam and Wild Turkey are one thing. But fanny wipes are something else.

Looks like you did all the work for the guys up top. We have to get a HHChicken & PALBooster collaboration to get some realistic playoff projections in with this system! Okay I’m getting ahead of myself, but let’s finish this shelter in place (hopefully I don’t run out of two-ply) and then let’s get the ball rolling!

Last edited:
Wow, that is truly impressive. With a couple of very minor tweaks, not only can it be geographically correct, but you could avoid a few more mis-matches. It is a shame it makes way too much sense and is way too logical for the CCS to even consider it.

Great work!

Wow, that is truly impressive. With a couple of very minor tweaks, not only can it be geographically correct, but you could avoid a few more mis-matches. It is a shame it makes way too much sense and is way too logical for the CCS to even consider it.

Great work!

I would love to hear your very minor tweaks! I also think someone should send it to Grissom-- courtesy of HHChicken.

Reactions: CCSguy408
For the Monterey County Teams ( I am much more familiar with that area), switch Marina and Rancho San Juan for Monterey and Hollister (San Benito). That gets back 2 great rivals in Monterey v Seaside and Palma V Hollister and gives Marina and San Juan some more "similar" programs in RLS, PG, Greenfield.

I am probably splitting hairs, truthfully, at this point I don't care who plays who, just as long as we can get the kids back on the field! Hopefully somebody on this board has an "in" with Grissom.

For the Monterey County Teams ( I am much more familiar with that area), switch Marina and Rancho San Juan for Monterey and Hollister (San Benito). That gets back 2 great rivals in Monterey v Seaside and Palma V Hollister and gives Marina and San Juan some more "similar" programs in RLS, PG, Greenfield.

I am probably splitting hairs, truthfully, at this point I don't care who plays who, just as long as we can get the kids back on the field! Hopefully somebody on this board has an "in" with Grissom.

It could probably work. I just thought Marina was more Southern of the section than RSJ and same with Monterey being more "Southern" than Hollister (Hollister kind of in a weird area relative to the rest hence why they're in a different county).

I have got to believe someone can make this happen and get it to CCS. They need to see this!

Looks like you did all the work for the guys up top. We have to get a HHChicken & PALBooster collaboration to get some realistic playoff projections in with this system! Okay I’m getting ahead of myself, but let’s finish this shelter in place (hopefully I don’t run out of two-ply) and then let’s get the ball rolling!
You make a good point. The biggest learning experience this year has been the value of 2-ply TP.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Will go through more thoroughly when I get some time this weekend, but just skimming you should be commended. Clearly well thought out and time put in it. You also added cushion for season starting later.
I would love to get your input once you go through my initial post more thoroughly. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT