ADVERTISEMENT

My Takes on This Past Weekend of Norcals.

NorCalScout

Sports Fanatic
Jul 10, 2001
I attended two games this past weekend, both good games but both similar outcomes.

1st game: Folsom @ Salesian, There is no way Salesian should have lost this game, not taking anything away from Folsom, cause they deserved what they earned and that was a big fat W. Being up 10 with 3 to play, are you kidding me, with a top D1 point guard. I didn't like anything about this game for the Pride, horrible substitutions, they can't get out of their own way and just awful execution down the stretch. I have been a big fan of Mellis and the job that he does but this isn't D4 or D5 anymore, you are playing with the big boys and you have had early exits the past two years (last year I think it was at De La Salle & now while hosting away from home) and you have had the more talented team in both years. This AAU style of high school basketball isn't working for you, please change and advance further in Norcals or else you will be looking at more of the same.

2nd game: Dublin @ Las Lomas, Dublin was up early, dominated this game and missed on several opportunities to put this game out of reach. Las Lomas (very impressed with their team, coaching and execution) fought back and had a chance to tie the game up right before but a 3 by Holman rattled in and out, giving the Gaels the small lead at half. Costello and his staff had some serious defensive breakdowns at the very worst times. Holman was a huge reason why Las Lomas won and I have been critical of his one dimemsional gift, and that is shooting the 3. He is very gifted at that but unfortunately, he doesn't provide much help other then that but fits in perfectly with the other much more talented players. probably had 8 wide open looks and if I am not mistaken, probably hit 5 or 6 of them. How does this happen, well you have a team that might be the most talented but worst defensive team in the EBAL and I am not sure if they practice defense at all. I will say the same this as I said about Salesian here, these teams that play that I will outscore you AAU ball have all had early exits. Dublin did not win their league title, did not win NCS or now a 1st round scare against Serra and an exit against Las Lomas.

Robinson and Prince were by far the best players on the court during this game and they showed what it's like to play both ends of the court. Prince has by far the best attitudes of any player I have seen all year. I have seen him play at least 5 games this year and he is your example of a perfect teammate, get's the best of of his teammates, talks and gives feedback to the coaches, doesn't look over and talk to or make gestures to his dad every play during the game, doesn't ask why he's being taken out of the game and has great rapport with the officials. I enjoy watching him play each and every time.

Since I am on a roll here, I might as well put Clayton Charter in there with these two teams. Clayton didn't with the DFAL, lost in the NCS finals to Las Lomas and had an early exit against Menlo at home. These 3 teams press, press and more press, they can't get out of their own way and just try to outscore you. They think this style of basketball hides their inability to play solid defensive but I think it shows it even more.

I will say, all 3 teams had years that most schools dream about and these are 3 very highly successful teams and 3 teams, coaches and players I really enjoy watching but something has to be done about there lack of defense and inability to make changes when things aren't working. Zero reason given the talent level, why Dublin and or Clayton didn't win their league, NCS or Norcals.

Hats off & Congratulations to Las Lomas & coach Dietschy, Folsom & coach Wall and Menlo & coach Larsen, your programs are well run, your players play really hard and you earned these victories I mentioned above. 2nd time seeing Folsom and I will see them again against Modesto Christian. 1st time seeing Menlo and now I can see why they are 25-3.

I attended two games this past weekend, both good games but both similar outcomes.

1st game: Folsom @ Salesian, There is no way Salesian should have lost this game, not taking anything away from Folsom, cause they deserved what they earned and that was a big fat W. Being up 10 with 3 to play, are you kidding me, with a top D1 point guard. I didn't like anything about this game for the Pride, horrible substitutions, they can't get out of their own way and just awful execution down the stretch. I have been a big fan of Mellis and the job that he does but this isn't D4 or D5 anymore, you are playing with the big boys and you have had early exits the past two years (last year I think it was at De La Salle & now while hosting away from home) and you have had the more talented team in both years. This AAU style of high school basketball isn't working for you, please change and advance further in Norcals or else you will be looking at more of the same.

2nd game: Dublin @ Las Lomas, Dublin was up early, dominated this game and missed on several opportunities to put this game out of reach. Las Lomas (very impressed with their team, coaching and execution) fought back and had a chance to tie the game up right before but a 3 by Holman rattled in and out, giving the Gaels the small lead at half. Costello and his staff had some serious defensive breakdowns at the very worst times. Holman was a huge reason why Las Lomas won and I have been critical of his one dimemsional gift, and that is shooting the 3. He is very gifted at that but unfortunately, he doesn't provide much help other then that but fits in perfectly with the other much more talented players. probably had 8 wide open looks and if I am not mistaken, probably hit 5 or 6 of them. How does this happen, well you have a team that might be the most talented but worst defensive team in the EBAL and I am not sure if they practice defense at all. I will say the same this as I said about Salesian here, these teams that play that I will outscore you AAU ball have all had early exits. Dublin did not win their league title, did not win NCS or now a 1st round scare against Serra and an exit against Las Lomas.

Robinson and Prince were by far the best players on the court during this game and they showed what it's like to play both ends of the court. Prince has by far the best attitudes of any player I have seen all year. I have seen him play at least 5 games this year and he is your example of a perfect teammate, get's the best of of his teammates, talks and gives feedback to the coaches, doesn't look over and talk to or make gestures to his dad every play during the game, doesn't ask why he's being taken out of the game and has great rapport with the officials. I enjoy watching him play each and every time.

Since I am on a roll here, I might as well put Clayton Charter in there with these two teams. Clayton didn't with the DFAL, lost in the NCS finals to Las Lomas and had an early exit against Menlo at home. These 3 teams press, press and more press, they can't get out of their own way and just try to outscore you. They think this style of basketball hides their inability to play solid defensive but I think it shows it even more.

I will say, all 3 teams had years that most schools dream about and these are 3 very highly successful teams and 3 teams, coaches and players I really enjoy watching but something has to be done about there lack of defense and inability to make changes when things aren't working. Zero reason given the talent level, why Dublin and or Clayton didn't win their league, NCS or Norcals.

Hats off & Congratulations to Las Lomas & coach Dietschy, Folsom & coach Wall and Menlo & coach Larsen, your programs are well run, your players play really hard and you earned these victories I mentioned above. 2nd time seeing Folsom and I will see them again against Modesto Christian. 1st time seeing Menlo and now I can see why they are 25-3.
NorcalScout, I think you will be seeing Bishop O'Dowd against Folsom! LOL I am picking my Dragons to get by Modesto Christian tomorrow night!

@NorCalScout i tend to usually agree with all your posts and assessment of teams
but just a few weeks ago you gave coach costello your vote for coach of year in the
EBAL stating a few things about managing egos,players buying in etc. Now 2 weeks
later your saying you wonder if they pratice defense at all.while you are completely
accurate that they do need to address there poor defensive efforts at times I think
it' a shame when things are going good players get all the credit but the minute a loss
happens (TO A VERY GOOD LAS LOMAS TEAM AND FOLSOM)) we are so quick to put it on a coach
and take away from the winning team who maybe just played better that day Mellis
and costello are being blasted for losing in norcal`s where EVERYBODY IS GOOD.
THERE ARE NO BAD TEAMS LEFT AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON.
salesian and Dublin are two very good high school programs and both of those
schools will continue to be good.Good luck to all the teams still standing should
be an exciting last two weeks of the season.

Last edited:

Scout, I agree with almost everything you stated. Those high powered offensive teams, play another good team that plays defense and all of a sudden, we have have some teams dropping out when they should be advancing. I will disagree with you in that I think Las Lomas is the better team, so it didn't shock me to see them come from behind and win in the fashion they did. Robinson got into Beasley's head right from the get go and he wasn't the same player I have seen a few times before. Robinson would have been my player of the game, he is offensively talented but takes pride in his defense, which other the Nielson, you can't say that about anyone on Dublin.

I saw first hand what you meant about the Dublin player that looks over and talks to his Dad the entire time and questioning why he is being taken out with 2 fouls in the first half, that is unacceptable. Body language is everything and knowing that he is only a sophomore, I will give him a pass but hope I don't see that next season.

Mellis, Bamberger and Costello are all really good coaches but even great coaches have short comings and you pointed theirs out, some may say it's critical or harsh but I see it as stating facts.

All 3 school has great years like you mentioned but I think all 3 coaches would say they feel they left something on the court and are disappointed not to be advancing.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Awesome analysis @NorCalScout, good two way basketball beats one way basketball most of the time. It makes you wonder when Coaches, players and fans watch the best teams in the NBA this season do they not notice the teams are playing defense too? [Houston Rockets, Warriors, Celtics and Toronto] . How about the NCAA team that’s about to win March Madness? Do we think they will out score their way to a title? No matter how good or bad DLS is they usually have a good defensive game so when they are good they go very far at the end of the season. @bones40 we know how you feel about the Gaels but the World outside of the EBAL know how Great the Gaels are too ;0)

Folks talk so much about Dublin and CVC being on a high level but teams seeking the title don't give up +75 points.

Palo Alto 83 Dublin 80

Dublin 85 Heritage 82
Dublin 77 DLS 72
Amador Valley 69 Dublin 68
Dublin 72 Amador Valley 37
Heritage 100 Dublin 98
CVC 105 El Cerrito 91
Campolindo 100 CVC 98
Las Lomas 83 CVC 75
CVC 84 Campolindo 53

Since Dublin looks like they have a few under classmen I hope they come back next year having learned from this experience.

Norcalscout:
You make some points that could be made about EVERY team at different moments during a season of basketball.
It is a bit silly to label a 30-2 team, to be as deficient as you state.

I fact if Salesian and had won their last game, and Dublin loosing by a basket, this post would not have the substance you are fermenting.
I get your points to a degree, but it needs tempering in my opinion.

Here’s wishing you great hoops

The reason Salesian lost is it turned to one on one basketball at the end but Folsom continued to play team basketball. I saw them lose the same way last year when the one guard dominated the basketball and took multiple bad shots!! Why would you continue to attack that big who I think blocked 6 shots and you’re barely 6ft!!!

@NorCalScout I’m interested in your breakdown of the Menlo team. You mentioned you saw them. Also, I’d be interested in your breakdown of the Modesto Christian/Bishop O’Dowd game that you will be attending tonight. What will the matchups be like. Who will be guarding whom and what are the keys to the game? I haven’t seen either of those teams play. Thanks

@NorCalScout I’m interested in your breakdown of the Menlo team. You mentioned you saw them. Also, I’d be interested in your breakdown of the Modesto Christian/Bishop O’Dowd game that you will be attending tonight. What will the matchups be like. Who will be guarding whom and what are the keys to the game? I haven’t seen either of those teams play. Thanks

Positive, I will do my best for you.
Menlo is tough and gritty team, that can play a halfcourt offensive game but likes to push the ball in transition. Woodson and Kastner were both force on the boarding and have post moves on both sides of the paint and will slash and finish when given the opportunity. Woodson was the best player on the floor on that night. I heard a lot about their point guard Foley, is a do everything kind of point guard but was held in check all night against the Eagles but did have a few nice assists and steals. Pascoe won the match up on this night.

Modesto Christian is one of the few teams that actually match up well against Bishop O'Dowd. In the game I saw against Sheldon, they had scoring from a wide variety of players and the are pretty deep too with some great role players off the bench. They have 5 or 6 guys that can all score a multiple of way. They can shoot, get to the basket at will and move well without the ball. Bishop O'Dowd guards usually over match their opponents but Hardy, Williams and Gaskin will have their hands full with Ballard, Williams, Satchell and Pearson. Not sure of the match up but the Dragons might want to think about starting Hawkins in the middle cause Murphy is a load down low & a monster on the boards, sets big picks at the free throw or top of the key line and can also clean up some missed shots. Should be one heck of a match up tonight and Dragons usually play to the level of their opponents. I give the advantage to Modesto Christian because they are deeper but I am expecting a close game. If you like great guard play, this is the game to go see.

Reactions: nostancenochance
Thanks for the info on Menlo. Much appreciated. I got that same info from looking at stats on Maxpreps as well. I guess I more wanted to know what type of offense they ran as well as their defense(s). I know Larsen, from his time at Menlo College and Stanislaus, was locked in to a particular type of offense and defensive scheme. Wanted to see if it translated to high school as well. Do you remember what offense and defense they ran vs Clayton Valley? Also what did CVC do to make it tough on Foley?

Awesome analysis @NorCalScout, good two way basketball beats one way basketball most of the time. It makes you wonder when Coaches, players and fans watch the best teams in the NBA this season do they not notice the teams are playing defense too? [Houston Rockets, Warriors, Celtics and Toronto] . How about the NCAA team that’s about to win March Madness? Do we think they will out score their way to a title? No matter how good or bad DLS is they usually have a good defensive game so when they are good they go very far at the end of the season. @bones40 we know how you feel about the Gaels but the World outside of the EBAL know how Great the Gaels are too ;0)

Folks talk so much about Dublin and CVC being on a high level but teams seeking the title don't give up +75 points.

Palo Alto 83 Dublin 80

Dublin 85 Heritage 82
Dublin 77 DLS 72
Heritage 100 Dublin 98
CVC 105 El Cerrito 91
Campolindo 100 CVC 98
Las Lomas 83 CVC 75
CVC 84 Campolindo 53

Since Dublin looks like they have a few under classmen I hope they come back next year having learned from this experience.

Palo Alto 83 Dublin 80

Dublin 85 Heritage 82
Dublin 77 DLS 72
Heritage 100 Dublin 98
CVC 105 El Cerrito 91
Campolindo 100 CVC 98
Las Lomas 83 CVC 75
CVC 84 Campolindo 53

I'm pretty sure the team that wins the NCAA title will "out score" it's way to the championship...LOL

Palo Alto 83 Dublin 80

Dublin 85 Heritage 82
Dublin 77 DLS 72
Heritage 100 Dublin 98
CVC 105 El Cerrito 91
Campolindo 100 CVC 98
Las Lomas 83 CVC 75
CVC 84 Campolindo 53

@Straight8 Looks like you're a numbers guy like me. How many possessions do you think an average HS team has in a regulation 32 minute game? Let's stick with California since there is a shot clock. Then, how many possessions do you think teams like (staying local) Clayton Valley, Salesian, Dublin, Heritage, Modesto Christian have?

I'm pretty sure the team that wins the NCAA title will "out score" it's way to the championship...LOL

Are you saying they will "out score" and not play any defense? Because that's what I meant. A team can score 115 points but if no defensive strategy they can also give up 116 points to an opponent.

@Straight8 How many possessions do you think an average HS team has in a regulation 32 minute game? Let's stick with California since there is a shot clock. Then, how many possessions do you think teams like (staying local) Clayton Valley, Salesian, Dublin, Heritage, Modesto Christian have?

I don't have an answer to "How many possessions do you think an average HS team has in a regulation 32 minute game?" Also I don't have an answer to "how many possessions do you think teams like (staying local) Clayton Valley, Salesian, Dublin, Heritage, Modesto Christian have?"

However here is a team with a defensive strategy against the above named teams and a few others [as far as keeping the opponent score low]:

VS James Logan
------------------------
2017 D1 State Finalist
Logan 72 - Oakland Tech 47 (with Souley Boum)

Logan 62 - CVC 44 (last years Jrs this years Sr)

Logan 34 - DLS 47 (DLS played in Nor-Cal Regional Open)

Logan 44 - St Pat-St Vince 56 (D4 State Champs)

Logan 51 - Mission 53 (D3 State Champs)

Logan 66 - Moreau 56 (D2 State Finalist)
Logan 56 - Moreau 69 (D2 State Finalist)

Logan 56 - Dublin 60 (w/ Timmy Falls & Rob Beasley)

NORCAL REGIONAL->
Logan 83 - Modesto Christian 60 (last years Jrs this years Sr)
Logan 58 - Heritage 51 (last years Jrs this years Sr)
Logan 65 - Palo Alto 61 (w Tention, Dorward, Schlemmer, Schmutz & Rojahn)

D1 State Finals
Logan 45 - Roosevelt 54

ALSO THIS YEAR 2018 season:
--------------------------
Logan 52 Heritage 61
Logan 49 Salesian 67
Logan 57 CVC 73

Great post.

I was also at the Folsom/Salesian game and had similar thoughts in regards to Salesian's execution down the stretch.

With that said- Folsom was just as talented, if not more, than Salesian. Salesian had some great guards, don't get me wrong, but they were severely overrated IMHO. I didn't think this was a traditional #1 versus #8 match up. During the game, it felt more like a #3 versus #4.

Reactions: NorCalScout
The reason Salesian lost is it turned to one on one basketball at the end but Folsom continued to play team basketball. I saw them lose the same way last year when the one guard dominated the basketball and took multiple bad shots!! Why would you continue to attack that big who I think blocked 6 shots and you’re barely 6ft!!!
Spot on brother.

Reactions: Straight8
Thanks for the info on Menlo. Much appreciated. I got that same info from looking at stats on Maxpreps as well. I guess I more wanted to know what type of offense they ran as well as their defense(s). I know Larsen, from his time at Menlo College and Stanislaus, was locked in to a particular type of offense and defensive scheme. Wanted to see if it translated to high school as well. Do you remember what offense and defense they ran vs Clayton Valley? Also what did CVC do to make it tough on Foley?

Usually Clayton's style of play (full court press) dictates the style of play but Menlo was very patient, took advantage of some fast break points but broke the press for the most part, got into there half-court offense and ran some good plays. Not sure what he ran at his other schools but methodical and good execution. In the half court, they most ran a 2 guard front, with 3 players across the free throw line and Woodson at the free throw line and two other players (Kastner being one of them) on the wings, free throw line extended. Guard to guard, pass to the wing, screen away, cuts and flashes to the basket. They also have a very nice double low post stack sequence of each side of the key, that's when Woodson and Kastner are at there best, very powerful, good moves & can finish with both hands. Sometimes they will throw a 1-2-2 full court press but you have to pick your moments wisely against Clayton, cause that's what they want you to do. Foley was in foul trouble early so that never helps and when he was in the game, Clayton wanted to make him give up the ball and deny him from getting it back and this really limited his opportunities. Merrit for Clayton is a heck of an on ball defender and with help and double teams, Foley really couldn't get into a grove. If this is what he ran at his other stops, I would say it's pretty successful and if not, well his new style seems to be working well too. I am sure he wanted to keep the score in the 60's, which gives his team a better chance of winning, once Clayton get's in the mid 70's or 80's, they don't lose many of those, especially at home.

Are you saying they will "out score" and not play any defense? Because that's what I meant. A team can score 115 points but if no defensive strategy they can also give up 116 points to an opponent.

I don't have an answer to "How many possessions do you think an average HS team has in a regulation 32 minute game?" Also I don't have an answer to "how many possessions do you think teams like (staying local) Clayton Valley, Salesian, Dublin, Heritage, Modesto Christian have?"

However here is a team with a defensive strategy against the above named teams and a few others [as far as keeping the opponent score low]:

VS James Logan
------------------------
2017 D1 State Finalist
Logan 72 - Oakland Tech 47 (with Souley Boum)

Logan 62 - CVC 44 (last years Jrs this years Sr)

Logan 34 - DLS 47 (DLS played in Nor-Cal Regional Open)

Logan 44 - St Pat-St Vince 56 (D4 State Champs)

Logan 51 - Mission 53 (D3 State Champs)

Logan 66 - Moreau 56 (D2 State Finalist)
Logan 56 - Moreau 69 (D2 State Finalist)

Logan 56 - Dublin 60 (w/ Timmy Falls & Rob Beasley)

NORCAL REGIONAL->
Logan 83 - Modesto Christian 60 (last years Jrs this years Sr)
Logan 58 - Heritage 51 (last years Jrs this years Sr)
Logan 65 - Palo Alto 61 (w Tention, Dorward, Schlemmer, Schmutz & Rojahn)

D1 State Finals
Logan 45 - Roosevelt 54

ALSO THIS YEAR 2018 season:
--------------------------
Logan 52 Heritage 61
Logan 49 Salesian 67
Logan 57 CVC 73

I will take a stab at this, kind of a numbers person too, teams like you mentioned above counting offensive rebounds as a possession (new shot clock), I would guess between 65-75 possessions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT